Lightbulb

Because of You

 

The Luis were over at The Kims place, talking and discussing about the upcoming engagement.  Mrs. Kim and Mrs. Lui were in the dining room, discussing the plans over the phone with Nicole, while Mr. Kim and Mr. Lui went out for a morning golf.  Amber couldn't stand listening to this nonsense, but was forced to listen to her parents and Mrs. Kim.

"So, it's set; June 10th at the Sumnit Hill Church at 11:00 A.M."  Nicole said, from the other line.

They hung up the phone and closed their planning books.

"Oh, it's so exciting!  We're finally going to be a big family together!"  Mrs. Kim said.

"I know!  Amber, honey, what do you think?"  Mrs. Lui asked.

"Umma, please don't do this."  Amber complained.  "I don't wanna get married to Key-oppa.  How could I get married to my oppa?  We're not like that!"

"Honey, you were always the one saying you want to get married to KiBum."  Mrs. Lui said.

"Please, mom, I was like, what, five?"  Amber said, standing up.  "What about Nicole-unnie?  Key-oppa was happy with her until you guys ruined it!"

Mrs. Kim stood up and walked over to Amber.

"If it's Nicole you're worried about, I'll make sure she won't do anything to you and my KiBum's wedding."  she assured her.

"That won't be necessary."

They turned around and saw a expression-less Key at the end of the staircase.  He walked over to the group of ladies.

"Umma, I'd already said that I'll marry Amber."  he reminded them.

"I know you did."  Mrs. Kim said.

"I just have one request."  Key said.  "Just don't do anything to Nicole.  That's all I'm asking for."

Mrs. Kim stared into his eyes and nodded.  She took Key and sat him next to Amber.  Amber couldn't understand why Key was acting this way now.  She could tell that he still loved Nicole and only doing this because of what Nicole said at his birthday party.

"Key, can you take Amber home?  Your mom and I are going to do a little shopping."  Mrs. Lui asked.

Key nodded and walked out the front door.  Amber quickly followed and got into his Ferrari.  It seemed like a long, long ride to Amber's place with all the awkward silence in his car.  Amber has been wanting to ask Key why he decided to marry her when they both knew they didn't want to in the first place and that he has Nicole that still really, really love him.

"Oppa, can we go somewhere quickly?"  Amber asked.

"Where do you wanna go?"  Key asked, not taking his eyes off the road.

"Yejong Park where that cute ice cream stall is!"  Amber said.

Key nodded hesitantly and turned the next corner.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

Amber ran across the open field, with her arms stretched out.  Key walked behind her, reminiscing of his and Nicole's many afternoon walks in this park.

"Oppa, let's get some ice cream!"  Amber suggested.

Key nodded and got two ice cream cones for them.  They sat down on the bench and Amber started to eat hers.  Key just stared at the dripping cone, wondering how Nicole's doing.  Amber looked at Key and gathered up the courage to ask.

"Oppa, why did you decide to get married?  I thought we agreed to not do it."  Amber asked.

"What are you suppose to do when the person you love throws your love for them away for money?"  Key asked, throwing his cone away.

"I don't know."  Amber shrugged.

Key lightly nodded.  Amber thought about what he asked, then realized what he meant.

"Is that what you think Nicole-unnie did to you?"  she asked, shocked.

"That's what she said." Key shrugged.  "Are you hungry?  Let's go eat."

Key got up and walked towards his car.  Amber scratched her head and ran after him.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

Nicole took Hara to FaBrics to help pick out wedding fabrics and designs for Amber's dress.  Nicole was walking around with the store assistant, pointing out different variety of white coloring.  Hara couldn't help look at Nicole, holding everything in and forcing a smile to make this wedding a success.

"Do you have this in champagne?"  Nicole asked, pointing at the silk cloth.

The assist went to the back to check it out.  Hara walked up to Nicole, who was busy looking at the lace.

"Nicori-ah..."  Hara trailed.

"What do you want, Hara Goo?"  Nicole asked.

"Why?"  Hara asked.

"What do you mean?"  Nicole asked, pretending to not know what she meant.

"You know what."  she said, taking the lace from her.

Nicole sighed and turned to Hara.

"If it means giving Key a good life, then yes, I'm doing this."  Nicole said.

"And giving you endless nights of tears and heartache?"  Hara asked, taking her hand.  "What happened to the fearless Nicole?  The Nicole that beat up that chubby boy in second grade who tugged on my pigtails?  The Nicole that threw that punch at her best friend's cheating boyfriend?  Huh?  What happened to that Jung Nicole?"

Nicole saw the concern look in Hara's eyes and smiled at her.  She was still that Nicole, but that Nicole was too scared to come out again.

"Don't worry, Hara."  Nicole said, putting her hand on Hara's shoulder.  "I"m still that Nicole."

"Then why are you acting like this?"  Hara said.  "Fight for you and Key's love!  Drop this wedding and confront his mother!"

Nicole shook her head and took Hara's hand.

"It's okay, Hara.  Key is marrying Amber, and as long as this engagement goes well, it's all downhill from there."  she assured her.

The assist came back with a roll of the color Nicole wanted.  Nicole patted her on the shoulder and went to the assistant.  Hara blew her bangs aside and turned around to them.  She walked up to her, who was busy pointing out her measurements.

"Do you still love him like before?"  Hara asked.

Nicole slightly turned her head to her direction, then back to her notebook.  Hara was waiting patiently, already knowing the answer.

"Even if I do, there's nothing I can do about it."  Nicole answered.  "Just let it go, Hara, and help me decide."

Hara sighed and stubbornly stomped to the table.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

After leaving the store, they stopped by a restaurant for lunch.  Nicole excused herself to the bathroom.  Right when she left, a couple came into the restaurant.  Hara heard a familiar voice and looked to see who it was.  Behind her, Key and Amber was escorted to a VIP part of the restaurant.  She kept her head down and hid behind the menu.  She turned around and saw that they weren't sitting that far away from her and Nicole.

"Are you ready to order, Hara?"  Nicole asked, sitting back down.

Hara saw Key leaving his seat and walking towards the bathroom.  She smirked as a lightbulb lit inside of her head.

"Oh, Nicole-ah.  I had some chocolate in my purse and it melted all over my cellphone.  Can you go get me some wet napkins from the bathroom for me, please?"  Hara asked.

"Why won't you just go to the bathroom?"  Nicole asked, scanning the menu.

"But I still need to look at the menu and since you've been here multiple times, you can just tell me what you want and I'll order for you, okay?  Please?"  Hara begged, giving her her big goldfish eyes.

Nicole laughed and rolled her eyes.

"Fine.  Get me the chicken alfredo with a side of caesar salad.  No onions and extra olive oil.  And sweeten ice tea with no ice."  Nicole said, putting her menu down.

Hara smiled and thanked her as she made her way back to the bathroom.  She put her hand on her chest and let out a big sigh of relief.  Good thing she has been taking those acting classes or else Nicole wouldn't have believed her.

Nicole reached the bathroom, but a man came out and bumped her.  He caught her and had his hand around her waist, to keep her from falling.

"Sorry-"

Key's heart jumped as he saw her and warmth crawled through his body as he held her like before.  Nicole looked at the guy and was surprised as he was.  They haven't seen each other since that day of surprises.  He wanted to pull her closer to him and make her listen to his beating heart for her, but he knew she didn't love him anymore.  He slowly took his hand off of her tiny waist.  Nicole straightened up.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to bump into you."  Key apologized coldly.

Nicole could feel the coldness in his voice running down her spine.

"It's my fault.  I wasn't paying attention."  Nicole said, nervously.

They stood in awkwardness.

"So, are you here with MinHo?"  Nicole asked.

Key looked at her and smirked inside.  He wanted to hurt her like she hurted him.

"Amber and I are getting to know each other more, so I suggested this restaurant."  He said.

Nicole nodded and could feel her heart twisting in jealousy and anger.  She could feel her tears building up, wanting to explode in front of her use-to-be love.

"Why do you ask?"  Key said in curiosity.

Nicole looked at him.  She felt a sudden warmth from him, just like old times, but she knew that it was over.

"Oh, just wondering."  NIcole said.  "Well, have a good lunch."

She walked into the bathroom, leaving him staring at her back.  His heart sanked as their conversation just ended like that.  His phone vibrated.

Oppa, where are you? - Amber

He looked back at the door and walked back to his table.  Nicole stared at her reflection, not knowing what to do.  These past two weeks, she ignored him, but now, they met again.  Could it be fate or just coincidence?  Nicole shook her head at her silly thoughts.

"You're thinking way too much about this, Nicole-ah."  she said.

She walked back to Hara, who was busy talking on the phone.  Probably with MinHo.

"Hey."  Nicole mumbled.

"Oh, I'll call you later.  Bye."  Hara hung up.

Nicole saw her phone and remembered what she was suppose to bring to her.

"Crap, Hara, I forgot your wet napkins!"  Nicole said, standing up.

Hara looked at her with a confused look, then remembered what she was talking about.

"Oh, it's fine.  The waiter gave some to me."  Hara made up.  "Let's eat.."

Nicole gave her the "oh...kay" look.  She saw Key and Amber, laughing and eating with each other from across the room.  She missed Key's charming smiles and adorable laughter.  She wanted to be Amber right now, sitting and laughing along with him. She quietly sat down and held back her tears.  Hara saw her shaking hands and knew that she saw Key and Amber.  She reached across and took her hands, nodding that it's okay.  Nicole let out a small chuckle and wiped away her tears.

Key scanned the restaurant and spotted Nicole, giggling with Hara.  He smiled as he saw Nicole's beautiful eye smile and always covering as she laughed.  He wanted to be there with her, laughing with her, talking to her, being with her.  He sighed and took a bite of his steak.  Amber looked at his direction and saw Nicole and Hara.  She looked back at Key, whose expression has gone down.  She quietly ate her food and caught him, stealing glances at Nicole.  Then, she thought of a wonderful idea.  An idea that will bring them together.  She smirked and continued to eat.  Key looked at her, confused.

"What are you smiling about?"  Key asked.

Amber looked up at him.

"Oh, nothing."  Amber said, smiling again at her wonderful idea.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

A   U   T   H   O   R   '   S     N   O   T   E   :

chpater 11! yay, i'm getting there! well, i've been updating more recently now. i'll update as soon as possible! Please comment and/or subscribe!