Pain within

Salient Love

-LUHAN'S POV-

I hid behind the pillar as I craned my neck and watched her walk past me, headed towards the school entrance. She paused and looked around, before leaving the compound.

I stepped out of my hiding place once I was certain she had left, and started walking towards the school gates too. 
I smiled as I glanced at the paper bag in my hand. I had already finished the apple and thrown it away.
I chuckled to myself as I remembered how funny she looked as she peeked out of the classroom. She must have been wondering whether I would actually eat the food she gave me.
I know I seemed cold, but I wasn't heartless.
My smile faded.
And I stopped walking. 
I was- 
no I am heartless. 
I swallowed, paused, and looked at the trash bin beside me.
I threw the whole paper bag away, and walked off.
I don't  deserve those food.
I don't deserve her kindness.
Not after what I did to her. 
I was about to walk off, when I decided to follow her again.
Just to make sure she reached home safely. 
As soon as she reached home and locked her door, I spun around and started walking home.
 
I wanted to change forms, so I could reach home faster.
But I didn't want to tear my clothes again. 
I have to wear them to school now. 
I sighed.
School. 
It was utter rubbish. 
I had to pull so many strings to get an admission and I expected it to be much less dreary. 
I swallowed. I can't complain. 
It's for her. 
I slowly exhaled as I strolled around in the forest, basking in the warm sunlight and the aroma of leaves and flowers. I closed my eyes.
I forgot all my problems in that moment.
The whole forest was totally unlike its appearance when night falls.
The trees and leaves were painted with soft gold by the gentle sun rays that filtered through the trees.
The whole forest was casted upon with this fairytale glow, with the wind gently dancing past me like little fairies, 
The leaves rustling and tinkling as they briskly and daintily fly past.
The smell of lemon, leaves and nature filled my nose.
It felt like peterpan's Neverland. 
I opened my eyes. 
I realised, 
The forest was sort of like me.
It looks all normal and friendly in the day, but when nightfalls, the forest masks the living beasts and monsters that lurk about. 
I may look normal and like everybody else, but inside I was this horrifying and cruel ghoul. 
Just like that, my short-lived happiness shattered into pieces. 
 
I had only barely stepped onto the porch when Kai came bursting out of the door.
"WHERE WERE YOU?" He shouted.
"Strolling about the forest," I answered curtly, unfazed by his loud voice. 
Kai stared at my impassive face that gave away nothing, and finally sighed. 
"Sorry, hyung. Come in quickly," he said coldly, not looking me in the eye. He seemed restless.
Something must have happened when I was gone. 
I looked up at the house before I walked in.
The house had a white roof, and it was like a three storey, regular bungalow, and it looked just like a family dream summer house in the forest. 
It looked pretty enough to be painted, but,
If only they knew the beasts that lived inside.
 
I stepped into the house with Kai following behind, and I saw Suho sitting on the couch, looking worried and irritated.
"Where were you?" He asked me, as he continued to stare at the floor, not looking at me. 
I looked at Kai. 
"He was taking a stroll around the forest." Kai said, leaning against the doorframe, folding his arms.  
"For 9 hours?"
I nodded. "I went off really far. I was restless. Is there a problem?" I asked. 
"Yes. It's been a few days now that you disappear the whole morning and afternoon! Where the hell have you been disappearing to? At least tell someone where you've gone!" Suho snapped, standing up, his eyes snapped away from the floor, glaring at me. 
I just stared back at him. He doesn't need to into any of my business. 
"Yixing and Chanyeol are still out searching for you. Kai, can you go and bring them back?" He said, his eyes not leaving me. 
Kai nodded and sent me a glare too, before leaving. 
I was getting irritated.
I saw Kris come out of his room out of the corner of my eye, leaning against the stair railing, drinking a can of coke as he listened to what we were talking about. But honestly, I think everybody in the house could have heard us without coming out from their rooms. 
The tense atmosphere worsened.
I felt suffocated.
I could hear the faint ticking of the clock. I saw Suho start to stare at the floor again, wringing his hands. I shook my head and turned towards the stairs, deciding to ignore him and just go to my room to sleep. 
"Father came." Suho said suddenly.
I froze, and all the blood turned cold in my veins. 
I swallowed. "And so?" My back still faced him. 
"He came for you. And he didn't seem too pleased to find that his trip was wasted. And you know how he is when he isn't happy."
That was when I noticed Suho's glass figurine, given by his late mother, broken on the floor, at the corner. My heart crumpled slightly.
No wonder he was staring at the floor just now.
 I turned around, quickly noticing small cuts on Suho's face. But they were already healing rapidly. 
"You're my hyung. Don't be so selfish," he voice laced with venom, and walked out of the house, leaving me standing there, wallowing in guilt. 
Kris finally stepped out of his 'hiding place' and stood in front of me. 
I continued looking at the spot where Suho just left. My mind was spinning.
"What happened?" I finally asked, looking up at him. 
Kris shook his head.
"He came looking for you, and he looked ready to kill someone." Kris said simply. "Don't worry about Suho, he will calm down later." 
I ran a hand through my hair, and started walking towards the kitchen, grabbing a rag to clean up the glass bits, leaving Kris standing there.
"I saw you that night." He said suddenly.
My eyes widened and I paused. I was caught off guard.
"Don't do anything stupid, again, " Kris advised, and emphasised 'again', before walking out to the porch. 
I blinked. He couldn't have seen me... Right? 
I was really quiet then. And I entered through the roof.. How..
I shook my head and swallowed, as I slowly bent down and started clearing the glass bits.
It took all my strength to not stab every single piece of the broken glass into myself there and then. 
 
_______________
 
oops ! I mixed up the figurine with a flower pot. So i just editted it ><
it was supposed to be a flower pot..
but then I realised that it seems weird for a flower pot to mean so much to suho.
hope this chapter was okay ! :) exo appeared ! <3