Irritant

Salient Love

 

The bell rung, signalling the end of break.
I kept my earpieces and ipod away, dragging out my English textbooks from my bag. 
English. Great.
It was really great to see Teacher Lee too.
Just great.
The classroom was buzzing as everybody filed in. I didn't fail to notice Heeyoung shooting Luhan a wriggle of her eyebrow.
I inwardly shuddered at her failed attempt at flirting.
If he didn't like her before, he should find her creepy now. 
I shook my head, not wanting to into anybody's business as I lay my cheek on my palm, resting as I waited for Teacher Lee aka the rude cow to arrive.
And just as the final bell rang, Teacher Lee stepped in, and Luhan walked in through the backdoor nonchalantly and slipped into his seat just as she entered.
Teacher Lee frowned in disapproval, pushing her glasses up her scrawny nose. She opened to say something, but then quickly shook her head, thought twice and closed i instead.
The whole class stared at her with dead, listless eyes as she looked around.
She cleared . "Good morning class! Let's get started with today's lesson! Read pages 45-56 now!" She announces as she marches to her table. The sound of papers flipping and chairs shifting echoed throughout the classroom as everybody lazily flipped their books.
"Silence!" Teacher Lee shrieked, earning glares from a few students.
So flipping paper is unbearable noise to your ears too? Just how unreasonable this cow could be, was beyond me.
I sighed and opened the textbook, my mind instantly trying to wander away upon seeing the whole full page of words, but I forced myself to focus.
Just focus for a while more, and you can go home to sleep, on your perfect, heavenly, soft bed.
I pushed myself to just survive the day and I can flop on my bed and pretend everything connected to reality never happened.
However, it was only about 2 minutes into the passage when I already didn't understand one of the words spelled. I sighed. 
I reached to my side, trying to poke Sooyoung to ask her.
But I couldn't find Sooyoung's waist at all.
"Soo-" 
I frowned and turned, only to realise Sooyoung's seat was empty, her bag and items missing too.
My eyes widened and I retracted my hand and looked straight. 
Where was she? And her items?
Don't tell me she hasn't returned from her break! 
I started to panic but stopped.
But then.. Why would her bag and pencil case also not be here? She can't possibly bring everything with her to break now can she? I frowned in worry for Sooyoung.
My phone vibrated suddenly under the table and I almost hopped out my seat. I bit my lip and sat back properly, hoping nobody saw me.
I placed my textbook to be standing on my table, so I seemed to be intently reading the passage.
Shooting one last glance at Teacher Lee and realising she was tapping away at her laptop, I slipped my phone out and checked my messages. Maybe Sooyoung had texted me to explain her disappearance?
Then I noticed the 2 texts and 7 missed calls from today morning that I failed to check in my hurry.
I frowned and checked on Teacher Lee again, and seeing her furiously typing away, I opened them.
 
Missed calls:
Dad
Dad
Dad
Dad
Sooyoung:)
Dad
Dad
 
I bit my lip, a bitter feeling gnawing at me.
 
Texts:
Sooyoung- yesterday, 22:03pm.
Hello ^^ I have something on tomorrow hehe and I won't be going to school. Help me cover up if anything happens ! Thanks Daehee<3 
 
Dad- today, 1:14am
Where are you ?!
 
Dad- today, now
Please reply!
 
I frowned and decided to reply Sooyoung first. I wonder what important thing she has on..?
To: Sooyoung:)
You owe me :b but where are you going? :o
 
I felt my heart clench slightly as I typed the next message.
To: dad
I'm fine and at school now
 
I had just pressed the 'send' button when my textbook slammed back onto the table, a bony hand with red nails painted lavishly, spread across the book cover.
I jumped and quickly slid my phone under the table before Teacher Lee's snake-like eyes caught sight of it.
"What are you doing, Miss Park?" Teacher Lee hissed, raising a thin eyebrow, twisted in disapproval. 
"I-I was reading the passage!" I hastily replied.
She snorted and glared at me, obviously not believing me.
I heard a scoff and snickers coming from the back of the classroom. I had a feeling it was Junki and his friends.
I ignored them and continued to give my 'sincere and innocent' eyes to Teacher Lee. She responded with a chilling glare as she picked up my textbook, checking for papers or drawings and stuff.
She threw my book back down when she didn't find anything out of sorts and walked away. However, before I could breathe a sigh of relief, Junki stood up. I could practically feel my heart stop.
I didn't have as much guts as Luhan to just walk out of the classroom or rebut her in any way.
"Yeah she was!" Junki's voice resonated out of a sudden. Teacher Lee's sharp gaze flicked towards the said male. And I turned around too, gulping.
"She what?" Teacher Lee questioned, walking back to my table, eying me.
"I saw her reading all right," Junki smirked. I swallowed, not sure if I should be happy he is helping me out. But I felt a tiny spark of relief crawl into me.
"In fact, from how serious she looked, I bet she can read the whole story out loud for the class and not make a single mistake!" He claims, sending me a wide malicious grin.
My relief shattered.
Teacher Lee gave me a twisted smile, knowing Junki's hidden motive- and liking it. "Well then, what are you waiting for, Ms Park? Read it to the class!" She says, thorns in her tone.
I shakily stood up, fidgeting with my blazer as I was unused to the sudden silence and attention. I slowly lifted the book up, holding it in my cold and quivering fingers as I looked around.
Teacher Lee nodded with a flick of her hand, telling me to start.
I cleared my throat, prayed, and started to read the dreadful passage.
 
The bell rang and I finally slouched onto my seat, blowing a raspberry.
I had to stand for the whole lesson since I kept not being able to pronounce like, half the passage. I hate English and Teacher Lee. AND Junki. 
"Jerk," I hissed. I never knew what he had against me. I barely even talked to him, ever! But, before I could continue cursing him in my head, the class monitor announced to us that it was a free period now, since Coach Jung was not in school today and no substitutes were available.
but we weren't allowed to roam outside the class. Duh.
A sudden realisation hit me, and I wanted to kill myself, once again. The first free period in the whole year, and Sooyoung wasn't here! I felt suddenly so lonely and bored, as everybody charged towards their friends and started to listen to music or gossip. 
I groaned and planted my face on the desk.
Worst. Day. Ever.
 
After a while, I realised I wasn't the only one sitting alone. I turned around to see what fun stuff Luhan might be doing to occupy himself for the next hour. 
And maybe, I could ask him to start to project with me now! Oh that was a genius idea! I won't seem lonely, he won't seem lonely, and we could get work done in the process too!
All he was doing was listening to music again.
I almost stood up and walked over to ask him, when a small group of girls suddenly planted themselves beside him, asking him some questions. I saw him grit his teeth and finally stood up and left the classroom again, the girls calling after him, whining at his sudden disappearance, together with the class monitor yelling after him but getting ignored too.
I sighed.
Well, that went that brilliant idea.
I cracked my knuckles and rolled my shoulders, deciding to continue the mock tests sent to me. Well at least even though I am lonely, I could get work done.
I had just slipped my laptop out and signed into my email account, my phone started vibrating again. 
I gulped, turning away from the laptop screen and checking the caller ID. 
 
It was my dad. 
 
I wanted to pick up so badly, but I didn't want to settle such matters at school where everybody was a gossip monger, so I hung up. I told myself that I had to sort things out with him properly, face to face. at home, since most of the stress had faded away, for now, and I already realised I was a tad too harsh on him. I nodded to myself, giving myself some self-encouragement, before opening the test documents and starting on the first question.
Well, that goes my plan of sleeping in my perfect, heavenly, soft bed.
 
I was still trying to figure out the first math question.
"So do I use tangent... Cosine.. Or sine?" I muttered, deep in thought.
And then someone slapped my laptop right shut, the sound of the laptop slamming shut pulling me back from my thoughts.
I hopped in my seat in shock, staring at the laptop, stunned. 
What happened?
Thunderstorms?
Wait, so cosine is the correct method right? 
Huh? Was I even on that question? 
I blinked, trying to regain my senses, then shot a glare at the disruptive . 
It was Junki, like always.
Some classmates started to look and point but most didn't care since Junki had a reputation for being a jerk, but a popular jerk and loved by all girls at that.
With the exception of myself.
"Get your hand off. I need to do my work," I said curtly, not wanting any trouble or attention, as I clenched my fists.
But Junki obviously wanted something different.
"What if I don't want to?" He smirked, obviously taunting me.
I took a deep breath and gave him a fake smile. "I didn't do anything to offend you, so just leave me alone okay?"
I think I hit the bullseye because his whole stance turned rigid, as he glared at me.
His smirk dropped. "Didn't do anything?" He hissed, cocking an eyebrow,
My patience started to run thin as I stared at his face that really, really, deserved a punch.
"You told ev-"
"Shut up" I cut him off. "I already have enough on my plate, so just leave me alone," I seethed as my head started to throb again. 
As soon as the thought of like 10 mock tests, settling stuff with my dad and all the stress came rushing back, I snapped once again.
He blinked at my sudden outburst, before opening his mouth to scream at me but I just nodded at him, waiting for his turn to burst. He blinked, gaping like a goldfish at my appalling behaviour to 'royalty' like him.
With his pride and all, like not wanting to seem as though he was paying too much attention to a 'peasant', he only sent me a cold glare, told me to watch my  back and not be so cocky, and left the classroom too. The class monitor just shook his head and went back to his seat, knowing he couldn't outpower Junki. 
Some of his 'fangirls' started to glare at me and curse, but I couldn't care. I can't care about anything related to that imbecile. 
I took a deep breath, opened the laptop and started once again on the trigonometry math question,
ignoring the headache.
__________________
 
aloha! :) sorry for not updating in like a week plus :(
had many school related stuff going on like tests ><
so here's a long chapter ! And I'm already almost done on the next chappie hehe. :>
do suscribe and comment okay? :) and thank you to all subbies and even the silent readers :b