Nightmares

Salient Love

Everything was white.

I stood in the middle of this endless, white desert.
I let out an involuntary shiver as my eyebrows furrowed.
Where was I?
"Dad? Minhee?" My voice resonating far, each echo haunting me.
The soft sand beneath my feet crisp and soft, seeming so harmless yet so cunning.
I swallowed and started walking.
There had to be a way out.
.. Right?
However, with ever step I took, I started sinking into the sand beneath me, grains of sand filling up around me as I fell deeper.
My eyes widened in panic as I started to run forward but all that resulted was myself falling deeper into the sand.
A loud scream was heard, and it took me a moment to realise it was coming from my own lips.
I started flailing about, screaming for help even though I knew it futile, as I sank deeper and deeper.
My eyes caught the last glimpse of soft white light, and I took a deep breath as the sand bed enveloped me fully, small grains clouding my vision.
 
I felt myself fall.
And fall.
No matter how loud I screamed, nothing could be heard.
My heart felt like a strong claw had a grip on it, and it won't loosen its grasp and I could feel it's sharp nails digging right into me.
Everything felt cold and I couldn't breathe.
 
Then I hit something.
Cold. 
Solid.
I panted as I regained my composure on the cold surface, catching my breath. I felt hot tears on my cheeks as my hair swatted about my forehead, glistening with cold sweat.
I sniffed, utterly traumatised and frightened as I shifted my position to look at what I landed on.
It was a large mirror.
I sat up, wiping my eyes and I stared at the mirror.
Where was my reflection? I couldn't see myself.
I started to wipe the mirror gently, then rubbed it vigorously when nothing could be seen.
Finally, an image started to form, like puzzle pieces putting themselves together.
Once it had formed completely, I felt a sour feeling at the back of my throat.
It was me, when I was 8. 
The lost girl stared right back at me with listless, dead eyes, dried tears glistening on her bony and white cheeks. 
"I'm so alone," she murmured, new tears falling. I felt my eyes water, as I remembered how I was at that time ; all alone, before I was taken in by Minhee and her parents. 
The lost girl's bottom lip quivered as she stared at me.
"Help me," she pleaded, as she inched forward, and suddenly her arm shot out from the mirror, grabbing mine. 
I shrieked and started to try to move back, but her grip was strong.
"You remember how it felt. Suffer with me," she whispered, reeling me into the mirror.
I screamed.
 
 
"No.. No.. Don't.. NO!" I shrieked, shooting up from my seat, the chair crashing onto the floor.
I stood up straight, hugging myself as I scanned my surroundings apprehensively, short breaths coming out from my mouth.
No white desert.
No giant mirrors.
I frowned, slowly taking in where I was.
I realised I was in the hospital ward, with Minhee. 
"It was just dream," I whispered to myself, in relief, as I picked up the chair and I collapsed back onto my seat, letting out a huge sigh as I closed my eyes, trying to calm my rapidly palpitating heart. 
"Just a dream," I muttered to myself again, as I took deep breaths.
I sniffed and rubbed my eyes, when I realised they were damp. I was wiping my eyes when the door burst open. I jumped back and almost started to cry again from all the shock when I had only just woken up. I placed a hand over my heart, trying to stop it from bursting.
"What happened? I heard a loud crash from outside!" The nurse from the reception last night glanced around the ward left and right, panicking.
When I realised it was just her, I exhaled, not realising I was holding my breath all along.
"Oh it's.. Nothing. I fell off the chair when I was sleeping," I sheepishly replied, rubbing my neck. It was sort of half true.
The nurse heaved a sigh of relief and nodded. She turned to leave, but paused. "Erm, visitting hours end at 11pm, but I didn't wake you yesterday since you were sleeping so soundly. Try not to stay so late again okay?" She says carefully, before leaving the ward, the door closing behind her. I gave her a reassuring smile and nod before she left.
once the door shut close,  I wiped the fake smile off my face.
"Ugh," i groaned and flopped back onto my seat, slamming my face onto the bedsheets. "So much stupid drama so early in the morning," I said to myself.
I sat up properly again and took a look at Minhee. She still looked peaceful even after all that racket. 
I yawned and stretched, my eyes still droopy and dry, as I turned my phone on.
2 text messages.
7  missed calls.
8:01 am.
I was about to check my messages when my eyes drifted back to the time again.
Eight oh one.
Why does the timing seem funny? Was I supposed to be somewhere ?
Eight oh one.
eight.. Oh.. One..
My eyes widened in realisation, my heart starting to pick up speed again.
School starts at 8.
"Oh my freaking gosh I'm late!" I yelped, jumping up from my seat again.
I stuffed all my belongings into my bag, gave Minhee an airkiss and sprinted out of the ward, cursing all the way back.
 
I stopped at the school gates, panting, resting my hands on my thighs. I glanced at my phone. It was 9.45, in the middle of breaktime, which ended at 10. 
I took out a tissue and dabbed my glistening forehead.
My uniform was messily tucked, my hair looked like it was caught in a fan. The security guard frowned at my dishevelled appearance. "You're late," he shook his head, stating the obvious. "Find the discipline master at the office," he scolded, passing me a small slip of paper, with blanks to fill in my name and class, with the word 'late' marked in bold.
Is the school serious? Paper slips for being late? 
What, is being late something to sign up for? I rolled my eyes, as I regained my composure, stuffing the slip into my pocket, shooting the black-faced security guard a giant sarcastic smile, before I darted past the school's gates.
I started to tuck my uniform properly, and straightened my blazer as I walked to class.
"Ahhh he is so badass!" A group of girls by the locker squealed. I frowned.
Junki again? Are they serious? I rolled my eyes.
But as I moved along the corridor, I realised the students, mostly females,  were more hyped than usual and their eyes were glittering as they whispered and chattered with each other.
I caught the words, "luhan," "badass," and "soccer." 
Frowning, I reached my classroom, dumping my bag on the chair. 
"Soccer? Luhan?" I murmured to myself. Unless the incident where Luhan practically caused Junki to pee in his pants got spread around? 
But which idiot would want to suffer Junki's wrath by spreading that story?
I bit my lip, confused. I felt around my bag for the small paper bag I had hastily prepared at home when I rushed from the hospital to get my uniform.
The girls who stayed back in class were giggling and shooting glances at the back of the class. I followed their gaze and realised they landed on..
Luhan. 
How was I supposed to give the paper bag to him now? Plus, he is skipping break time again. I was starting to wonder if he is on a diet or something.
I shot him a quick glance, and realised he looked slightly irritated. 
Even though his headphones were on, and he was still gazing out of the window again, his eyebrows were slightly furrowed. I could tell he wasn't enjoying the attention. 
One of my classmates, Heeyoung, got up from her seat, her cheeks flushed as her friends cheered her from behind softly. She stood in front of Luhan's table and cleared loudly.
He continued to stare at the window. 
"Ahem!" She practically yelled.
Luhan flinched, but continued to stare outside.
She took that small movement as a signal to carry on yakking.
"So.. I heard about you standing up to Junki. That was super cool!" She squealed, smiling widely.
No response.
"Uhm, I think it was awesome and super badass!" She tried again.
Nothing. 
"Erm, Luhan oppa?" She blinked cutely. When there was no response for the third time, she reached out to pat his shoulder.
Instantly my mind reeled back to the day I passed him the first paper bag and how he almost hopped away from me when I tapped him.
Bad mistake, Heeyoung.
As soon as her hand made contact with his blazer, he stood up abruptly, pulling his headphones down. 
"Don't touch me," he said, frowning. "And go away," he said with no emotion, like he couldn't care.
Heeyoung gulped and stepped away. "B-but oppa.." She whined, obviously wanting to try to get close to him once more, ignoring the big neon sign 'leave me alone' that Luhan had practically pasted on his forehead.
Her friends were like watching a movie, their eyes big with saucers as they sat at the edge of their seat.
He moved away from the table, and it looked like he was going to walk towards her and Heeyoung's face lit up.
But he just walked out of the classroom again.
I couldn't help but chuckle lightly, even though I felt bad for Heeyoung as she walked back dejectedly to her friends, who were pouting and patting her back.
I shook my head, masking my smile. 
Luhan seems to have taken a liking to walking away from confrontations like this, huh. 
________
 
how is this ? :>
I'm sorry if it's a boring chapter :( it is like a little peek into Daehee's past, and there's much more dramatic scenes later on ^^ 
❥ Comments are much loved :)