Familiar

Salient Love

 

I stepped into the school compound and yawned.
Honestly, I rather spend my time visiting my sister everyday, having one-sided conversations with her, than come to school.
I was so tired. Especially after last night. 
I had a hard time re-bandaging my shoulder, thanks to those drunk jerks. 
But I also felt really thankful to that blond angel.
I wonder if I will ever meet him again. 
Then I can properly thank him.
But wait, why did he run off so fast? 
How did he disappear so fast..
Did I scare him..? I tapped my chin in thought. 
"YAH PARK DAEHEE!" A shrill voice sounded beside me as I was in my little own world and I jumped. 
"WHAT!" I shouted, grabbing onto my pounding heart,"Do you have to scream so darn loud?!" 
My bestie, Choi Sooyoung, then scoffed.
"I've been calling your name countless times already! What do you have on your mind that you can't even hear my beautiful, alluring voice?" She replied, giving me a cheesy grin.
I shuddered and stuck my tongue out at her.
"BEAUTIFUL, ALLURING, MY FOOT!" I retorted. 
She pouted, and looked away. Then shouted 5 seconds later again. "YAH!"
"What now?!" I rolled my eyes. She can be overly dramatic at times.
If i could, i would have given her some actress award already. 
Or maybe sent her off to Hawaii so I can't hear her. 
But then I will miss her. 
"You didn't reply any message, call or mail i left you for almost two weeks! DO YOU KNOW HOW WORRIED I WAS?!" She asked me rather loudly, her eyes like saucers, as she stomped her foot. 
People started to stare, since we had been shouting for quite a while now.
"Shush! Sorry okay, a lot of things happened and I didn't feel like answering my phone.. " I said, my voice fading away as I was reminded of the events that happened.
Sooyoung must have noticed the sudden change in my mood, and her usual loud voice then had a 360 degree change. 
"Oh I see-" she nodded, " Tell me later during lunch okay?" She smiled, and reached over to hug me.
"OW!" I winced, as she gave me a tight squeeze. She couldn't see the bandage as our uniforms were long-sleeved. 
"Oh my god what?!" She pulled away and stared at me.
"I..I'll explain during lunch," i said, not really feeling like explaining everything so early in the morning.
"Okay," she nodded and shrugged. We walked together to our classes.
Class doesn't begin until 15 minutes more. 
"So, did I miss anything big in this two weeks?" I asked her, trying to sound interested ; I owed her, since I made her worry for two weeks and yet she acted so nice about it. So I decided to let her rant about her daily life, since Sooyoung was a loud, perky and talkative girl - and obviously she loves to talk.
Her eyes rounded at the chance to gossip.
"Okay! So, firstly, I bought some new socks! You should come over one day to see them-" She squealed, "- but that's not very important," she added when she saw my 'really?' face. 
She sighed. "Actually, there's nothing big that happened this past few weeks. Exams are also far away. I just missed my chance of gossiping to the ice queen..." She pouted and sighed dramatically like the world ended.
I rolled my eyes.
But then she jumped up- not failing to scare me again- her bangs bouncing about her forehead.
"WAIT THERE'S ONE NEW THING," she added, her whole face lighting up.
"There's a new guy at school! And he is super hot. And HE IS IN OUR CLASS! Wheeeee!" She whooped, but then she paused and her face turned into cold, hard stone. 
"But that hot jerk took your seat! Now we can't be seat partners!" She pouted.
"What is wrong with you, you bipolar freak!" I laughed. "Since you said he was hot, shouldn't you be happy he is sitting beside you now?" I raised a brow, refusing to believe she was that loyal to me. 
"Well duh I was happy, but he never talks during class so it's super boring, and he doesn't really listen. I mean, he is staring at the teacher and the whiteboard, but he doesn't open any textbooks, or write any notes down. He's super weird," she replied, scratching her head. "I don't understand him," she said, mostly to herself as we walked into the classroom and towards our seats.
And, like Sooyoung said, my seat was already taken. 
Sooyoung wriggled her eyebrows at me like a e, and mouthed, "See?"
He was blond, and he had some purple headphones on, as he stared out of the window. I craned my neck but I couldn't really see his face.
Then suddenly, I saw him stiffen, just for a second, before he turned around and looked right at me. 
Him. He was the blond angel that saved me last night! 
I shamelessly stared at him, unable to comprehend this. This was too much of a coincidence. 
I opened my mouth to say something, anything, maybe like hey that's my seat, or thanks.. but nothing. I probably looked like a gaping goldfish. 
The guy blinked, and his face remained impassive as he got up, moved to a seat at the back, and started to look out of the window again. 
I broke out of my mini trance and sat down beside Sooyoung.
The teacher then walked in, so Sooyoung didn't have a chance to interrogate me on why I reacted that way.
"I knew he was good-looking, but you didn't have to look like a goldfish!" She hastily whispered to me, grinning. "You owe me an explanation during lunch!"
I rolled my eyes and looked at the teacher, trying to concentrate.
But I couldn't shake the feeling a particular someone had their eyes on me the whole lesson.
I wanted to turn around and check, but I was too embarrassed to.
I sighed, and started to daydream.