Hurt

Salient Love

 

-Daehee's POV-
 
I frowned and pushed the door opened, a creaking sound resonating. I stepped out into the back garden, my eyes squinting from the sunlight as I tried to find Luhan and the mysterious blond guy. On a distracted note, I felt pity that such a beautiful back garden was going to be destroyed. 
I twisted my lips when I realised they were gone. Where could they have disappeared to? 
Or were they hiding somewhere to make me come out?
My eyes widened at that aspect and I quickly darted back in, past the door, back into the shadows. 
When I heard no sound or saw movements made, I gingerly stepped out again.
Huh. They really disappeared. I took a last glance around.
I my lips, adjusted my bag straps, spun around and left.
A small, suspicious feeling poking at my gut.
 
As I left the school gates, I craned my neck to see if Luhan was still nearby. 
When I didn't spot him, I sighed. Maybe I'll start a little on the project first if I have the time. 
I rubbed my dry, tired eyes and trudged home.
The lethargy was slowly slipping back into me after all the dramatic incidents that happened today. 
I shook my head, realising that it was practically all of Luhan's doing that made today less monotonous than others. 
The walking out of class during a scolding, the soccer match.
I clucked my tongue, amused.
As I shuffled back home tiredly, the effects from eating energy bars and sweets during break wearing off, my mind wandered back to Luhan. And his smile.
He should smile more.
And on that last note, my brain shut off to stop the impending headache.
 
I felt myself jerk back to reality as I stumbled on the ground.
I frowned, cursing at the stupid pebble. Then I took in my surroundings slowly, rubbing my head. 
Wow. I was already outside my house? 
I practically zombie-walked all the way here.
Thank you legs for not leading me into some dark alley. I yawned and walked forward.
 
I stepped up the porch, and into my house, locking it behind me.
I really felt like the walking dead now, almost as bad as this morning. I sighed and massaged my temples.
Every part of me felt achy and even my bones seemed to be asleep.
What's more, the headache was getting worse.
Even so, I moved up the stairs quickly to my room to do my homework and continue on the mock tests.
I didn't want to waste any time as I had to visit Minhee later too.
And I was trying to avoid a certain someone.
But just as I was about to enter into the safe boundaries of my room, my hand on the door knob, my dad stepped out of his.
So close, I thought to myself, flinching at the sound of his footsteps.
The headache started to throb.
"D-daehee? You're back," he murmured, stepping out of his room and closing the door behind him.
Another can of beer in his hand.
At least it wasn't a bottle which I can smash on the ground anymore.
I decided to ignore him until I felt less tired to clear things out.
Which could be never. This was the first time I was so darn angry at him.
All my life, I had been appreciative and caring because he was the one who took me in when I had nobody.
But no, I will not forgive him so quickly for he said, especially since he hurt another person who was dear to me too, even if Minhee didn't hear it.
I know she would feel horrible, so I can't let this go that quickly.
 
Yesterday-
"Dad! Can you turn the volume down?!" I stomped out of my bedroom and yelled. I just finished packing the house and yet he was messing up everything with his stupid beer bottles and now, I hadn't even finished one of the mock tests sent to me! The TV volume made it impossible for me to concentrate and I think the whole neighbourhood can hear him.
Plus, I am like eighty percent sure the teacher never taught us those concepts in class.
I rubbed my temples, pissed. A helpless, desperate and frustrated feeling gnawed at my stomach.
How I wish to just flop onto my bed and sleep.
"CAN YOU PLEASE TURN THE TV VOLUME DOWN!" I screamed.
He continued to ignore me as he chuckled at the TV programme, taking a swig of his beer.
I groaned frustratedly, my eyebrow twitching.
I marched down the stairs and grabbed the remote from his hand, turning the TV off.
The silence was so darn beautiful. 
"Heyyyy! I was watching that!" He whined. 
I glared at him. "What the fu-fish? I told you to turn the volume down! I can't do my work!" I scolded, knowing I seemed rude but I was in a really bad mood. 
He clucked his tongue, " work shmork. Nobody cares about that!" He waved his hands around the air to emphasise his point, spilling his beer everywhere, including the couch in the process.
I frowned, utterly irritated, "Well, I care. So please, at least stop watching the TV so loud. And stop leaving all your beer bottles everywhere!" I scolded, packing some of the pizza boxes up to throw away.
"Don't you even have work to go to?! Laying around like that!" I blurted in my pissed mood as I threw the rubbish into the bin. 
I saw my dad flinch slightly. "I'm on leave for Minhee!" He yelled, a little too loud, like he was hiding something.
But I was too angered to care.
"I CAN SEE THAT!" I angrily shot back. 
My shoulder hadn't totally healed so it started to hurt as I tied up the rubbish bag to dispose it outside.
"And what do you mean, for Minhee?! You haven't even properly visited her!" I hissed, flinging the rubbish bag near the door so I can throw it away later when I leave to visit Minhee. 
I turned to stare at him accusedly. 
"Well it's not like she's going to wake up isn't it?" He raised a brow and turned the TV back on, raising the volume even higher.
There was a sudden sour feeling at the back of my throat, as it made its way down, stabbing at my heart. 
I swallowed, processing what he said.
What.
How.
How dare he ing say that. Minhee needed family support, now more than ever.
I felt my hands start to tremble. The volume of the TV caused my head to throb and I could feel myself tipping over my limit. 
Everything was irking me.
Everything was so darn annoying. 
The stupid TV. 
The beer bottles. 
The mock tests.
Minhee.
The incident with that blue eyed beast.
Everything. The numbness I had from the hospital was long gone.
Like I had finally stepped out of mist, forcefully yanked out of the safe little world I made for myself.
And there I was, left vulnerable to everything around me.
And everything came rushing right back, stabbing me. And I could feel the knife twisting inside my my heart, not letting the wound heal.
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him turn the volume up again and take another swig of his beer.
That did it.
Before, I was tipping on the edge of my limit, like I was standing at the tip of a cliff. And now I had fallen off. Into pain and fury.
Everything suddenly felt overwhelming and I couldn't breathe. 
I turned and icily glared at him. He had the decency to look back at me.
I snatched the beer bottle from his hands and before he cold protest,  I  smashed it on the ground hatefully. 
The broken glass were like the pieces of my sanity. 
"Don't you dare visit Minhee now," I spat before grabbing my wallet, phone and keys and left the house, slamming the door on my way out. 
The mock papers could just go screw themselves.
My father too.
 
I remember the fury and hurt tasting bitter in my mouth as I stomped out of the house yesterday.
But I knew it was more of hurt than anger.
I took a deep breath, feeling my throat get caught up from all the emotions that came billowing out after remembering last night. 
"Daehee?" My father carefully asked again. I just tightened my hold on the door knob. I didn't reply. I just stood there, squeezing the door knob. My father mistook that as me giving him a chance to apologise or explain. 
"I'm-" he started.
"Save it," I cut him off. I wasn't ready to forgive him for what he said.
And I think I was being a tad too hard on him since he was in fact drunk, but didn't people say drunk words were actually sober thoughts that nobody dared to mouth out? 
To be honest, it was many other things adding to my stress and I agree that I was being too hard on him. 
But then again, let me emphasise the word stress. It's when your brain doesn't function properly anymore and starts to go haywire. Therefore my illogical reactions.
I twisted the doorknob and walked in, slamming it shut.
I didn't want to face him. Not now. 
I was afraid and hurt. Afraid things would become worse, afraid to smash something else.
But most of all, afraid to be hurt again. Hurt by any other sober thoughts he had masked.