Different

My Soul Mate (A Little Mermaid Story)-Temporary Hiatus-

CHAERIN POV

 

"How could you reject him like that?" Junghee whispered to me as I continued to stare at the book in front of me. Junghee and I were once again in the library, along with just a few other students in the opposite corner of the room. I sighed and wrote down some notes without replying. "Who's this guy that you like? You never told me that you liked anyone." I still didn't say a single word, just copying things into my notebook. After a while she let out an exasperated sigh and let her head fall onto the table. "I really wanted you two together..."

 

"You know I don't like him that way. I see him as the brother I never had. He should know that too. I'm sorry Junghee... But I don't really know my feelings right now." I let out a sigh as I turned to her, her head still on the table. "I think I like this guy... But he's a jerk... And then this other guy is just great. He's always nice and all, but I've heard... things about him." I shrugged my shoulders even though she wasn't looking. She raised her head and looked at me. 

 

"Why haven't you talked to me about it?" I frowned at the disappointment in her voice. Why hadn't I talked to her? I guess I was just embarrassed. I just gave her a shrug and a sad smile. She sighed and her hands came to rest on my shoulders. "You can rely on me. You know this already. And no matter what I will listen to you." I gave her a smile and her hands left my shoulders. "Now tell me what is going on."

 

"I think... I might like Park Chanyeol. But I also have been getting close to Wu Kris... I don't really know what I feel. It's hard to explain, but Chanyeol feels familiar. And he is nice to me sometimes... Kris is always nice to me. But I don't feel the same thing I feel for Chanyeol." I thought about my words after I let them out. It was all true. "I can only see Kris as a friend. But I can tell that is not what he wants." For some reason, every time that I was around Chanyeol everything felt familiar and safe. With Kris it was just a feeling of friendliness. And sometimes I even felt like he was only using me. I shook away the thought and looked at Junghee. It seemed like she was processing things. 

 

All of a sudden she jumped and snapped her fingers. "Maybe he's a soul mate!" I scoffed. My sister had just talked about the same thing to me days ago. "I'm not kidding. And just because they are a soul mate doesn't mean that it's a romantic type of soul mate. Look at you and I! We are like sisters and from day one we were instantly best friends. Maybe we’re soul mates, too." She grinned an I found myself giggling slightly. "It would make a lot of sense. He seems very familiar to you. You must have known each other in a past life." She tapped her chin lightly and looked past me. 

 

"You should study that instead." I let out a small laugh and stretched my limbs. "Let's call it a day. How about we go out for a latte?" She grinned at my offer and nodded vigorously. All day long, our conversation stayed in my head. Could my sister and Junghee be on to something? Were we actual soul mates? 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

"Rinnie~" I flinched at my new nickname. Chanyeol had been adamant about us being friends and I eventually gave in. However, he took it to the extreme. The past few hours he has been tagging along everywhere I went. He even started initiating skinship around a crowd of people. I felt uncomfortable with all of it. In a way, I enjoyed his company. When he was like this it was great. He is smiling almost the entire time and he's even being very courteous. He even held doors open for Junghee and I. 

 

Right now we were sitting in the university's cafeteria. Other students were scattered about, most of them tired from their long day and sipping some coffee. Junghee and I had planned on coming here with Hyunshik but he was nowhere to be found. His phone was off too. I was worried sick but Junghee wouldn't let me go look for him. And neither would Chanyeol. 

 

"Rinnie~ Should we go see a movie? I can bring Kai and Junghee should come too!" He was grinning to the point where his eye began to twitch. That was something I'd noticed recently. That darn twitchy eye. It made me laugh. I took a bite of my food and looked at Junghee. She gave me a small shrug and I reciprocated it. 

 

"I guess. We don't have any tests coming up so sure." At the sound of my approval he cheered, causing many people to stare in our direction. I frowned and punched his arm to silence him. He winced in fake pain and pouted. Where was the cold jerk I first met? He was replaced by this playful little puppy. I found myself smiling at him as he gave me puppy eyes.

 

"You're mean, Rinnie..." I gave him a playful smirk and he beamed at me. For a second I felt as though this was all right. This was how we were supposed to be to begin with. We were supposed to be great friends. Everything just felt absolutely right. The smile didn't leave my face as he turned to Junghee. "What do you say? Come with us?" Junghee thought for a bit and then she frowned. 

 

"Actually... I was going to study a bit more tonight. My grades aren't that great... You three go." She have us an apologetic smile and I pouted. Since when has Junghee ever struggled in school? I didn’t question her as she picked up her things and left Chanyeol and I.

 

“I will call Kai.” Chanyeol mumbled and pulled out his phone. I nodded and sipped at my soda. I was just about finished with me food and so was he. “Kai! Are you busy?” I heard Chanyeol smile through his voice as he spoke into the phone. A few seconds of silence followed. “Oh, really? I thought you’d be free. That’s cool. I’ll call you later.” I turned to him and frowned. “Kai is busy…”

 

“Oh…” I stayed quiet. So it would only be us? I looked down at my empty plate. Should we still go? I needed a break from my work, but it would be awkward if it were just the two of us. I heard Chanyeol clear his throat and I looked back up to see him looking down shyly. It was actually very cute.

 

“W-We could still go. I can pay for you.” I found myself smiling and I hummed.

 

“Okay.” I looked down again and pretended to become fascinated with my empty plate, but in reality I was avoiding his gaze.

 

“O-Okay?” I nodded and forced myself to look back up. He was smiling from ear to ear and my heart skipped a beat. How could a simple smile do that to me? I bit my lip and started putting my things away in my backpack before standing and throwing my plate away. I looked at Chanyeol who was still seated at the table, wide eyes staring at me.

 

“Are you coming or not?” He nodded vigorously and stood to follow me, throwing his plate away as he swung his backpack onto his shoulder.

 

CHANYEOL POV

 

I watched her intently as she bit her lip, trying to decide where to sit. There weren’t many people in the theatre today for some reason so there were a ton of empty seats. We had chosen a comedy and didn’t even fight over it. We actually got along very well. It’s not like I expected us to disagree. Things were different between us now. I was able to be myself around her more. When she smiled at me, everything felt lighter. I didn’t have any negative thoughts. Everything was sunny and happy when she was around.

 

“Chanyeol, where should we sit?” She looked up at me and I almost choked as I took in her features. She looked so damn beautiful. I cleared my throat and looked at the screen. There were only about six single seats taken. None of the couple seats were taken. I decided on one of the couple seats and smiled at her as her eyes widened and her cheeks turned red. “Y-Yah! We can’t sit there.”

 

“Says who?” I gave her a smirk and grabbed a hold of her wrist as I tugged her to the counter to get some popcorn and a drink. She tried to protest and squirm from my grip, but I ignored it as I came to a stop in front of the counter.

 

A guy came up to the counter and smiled at us. I thought I saw his eyes linger for a second too long on Chaerin and I got a little tightness in my chest. “Hello. What would you like?” He greeted us and I quickly ordered.

 

“One large Pepsi and a large popcorn. That’s all.” I pulled out my wallet as he went to grab what I asked for. Chaerin gave me a look and cleared . I looked down at her. “What?”

 

“Just one drink? I thought you said you were buying for me?” She crossed her arms and gave me a pouty look. I smiled at her and nodded.

 

“I did.” I turned back to the counter as the guy came back.

 

“Here you are sir. The total is 7,500 won.” I handed him my card and waited for him to finish the transaction so that we could get away from him. “There you are sir. Enjoy your movie.” I hummed and grabbed our things, handing Chaerin the popcorn and grabbing her hand. She tried to pull her hand away but I refused to let her go.

 

“Yah! Why didn’t you get a drink and popcorn for yourself!” She was trying her best to keep up with me as I tugged her towards our theatre room. I stopped just about two meters from the door and turned back to her.

 

“I did. You’re holding it.” I gave her a smile. She gave me a questioning look and I smiled as I watched her slowly figure it out.

 

“W-We’re sharing!?” I clasped my hand over and shushed her. She had practically screeched the question. I nodded and let out a nervous chuckle.

 

“My father hasn’t been giving me much money lately… Besides, I don’t have cooties. And neither do you.” She glared at me and stuck her tongue out to my hand. I didn’t move it from to her surprise. She blushed and slapped my hand away before storming into the theatre room. I chuckled at her childlike behavior and followed her in.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ah~ I have finally updated! Sorry everyone! I finally got a job(at a Korean restaurant btw~ <3) and I got super busy. I am actually pretty sick right now which is why I was able to stay home and type this up. But anyway, I hope you liked this. They have finally reached the state in their relationship where they are friends! :D

Please leave me feedback. It took me a while to type this up also because no one leaves feedback... It breaks me down somethimes.

 

Until next time~