Just Around The Corner

My Soul Mate (A Little Mermaid Story)-Temporary Hiatus-

CHAERIN POV

 

"You what?!" I jumped in my seat, my eardrums dying from Junghee's screech. I had just relayed to her the events of the previous day and you could say she was pretty intrigued about it. I shushed her as we received stares from those around us, most of them being glares. She bit her lip and motioned for us to leave the building. We had come to the library in order to do a research paper, but instead she made me explain my reason for coming back so late. We made our way out onto one of the rooftop balconies and luckily they were void of any other people.

 

"Junghee... Please don't interrogate me, too." I sighed and plopped onto a nearby bench, dropping my bag onto the bench as well. I closed my eyes, but I could feel her eyes burning holes through my head. "Nothing really happened. We just had a little bit of soju and he drove me back here, okay? Nothing happened." I kept my eyes shut as I spoke and she was silent for quite some time. When she finally spoke I opened my eyes.

 

"Chaerin... I think he likes you." Was she trying to crack a joke? I laughed and he just shrugged. "Why else would he do those things? Guilt? For fun? I doubt it."

 

"So you're saying that he likes me? As in likes to torture me? Yep. That's true." She rolled her eyes at my sarcasm.

 

"You know what I mean, Chaerin." She exhaled and plopped onto the bench opposite me and closed her eyes as she leaned backward. "Count on me telling you 'I told you so'." I rolled my eyes and turned away, focusing my attention on the almost bare trees behind me. I doubt that, Junghee. He's just playing around.

 

CHANYEOL POV

 

"What do you mean, you don't want to go out tonight?! We do this every weekend! Hyung! You know I can only get into the club if you're there!" I shook my head at Kai and turned the doorknob to the library before stepping inside.

 

“I have to do well on my exams now. I am trying to get out of my old mans’ house. The only way he will let me stay in an apartment is if I get high marks on the upcoming exams.” I spoke low, as I made my way to one of the shelves nearby, searching for the book I needed for my research paper in Economics.

 

“Wait, what?” I heard him scoff and a chuckle followed after. I ignored him and continued my search. “Since when are you trying to get out of your comfy home? You have everything you could ever want there. If I were you, I would take all of your fathers’ crap and just kick back at home. You’re guaranteed as the heir of the company, marketing major, or not.” He leaned on the wall beside me and sent me one of his smirks. I glared at him and walked away.

 

“You wouldn’t understand, Kai. Unlike you, I do have to have a degree. Running a movie theatre chain won’t be as hard as an entire chain of hotels and a mall.” I bit the inside of my mouth and smiled when I found the book that I needed.

 

All of this was not necessarily true. Yes, I needed to make good grades on my exam, and stay out of trouble for my father to let me leave home. However, my real reason was so that I could be much closer to Chaerin. And the only way I could do that is to move closer. That way, I would not need to be watched by Alex as much as now. Sure, he would be living with me, as my father instructed, but Alex and I are very close. He trusts me more than he trusts my father.

 

“Still… You should come out to the club tonight. Just one last time, hyung? Come on, please? I am begging you!” I ignored him and walked out towards the balconies. My eyes widened when I spotted Chaerin and her friend on the balcony adjacent to the one we are on just now.

 

“Go ask Kris. I am sure he will let you in. I have tings to do.” I heard him groan and he eventually stormed off. I sat on a bench on the far edge of the balcony, staying hidden form her, yet still being able to see her clearly.

 

“Why do you intrigue me so much?” I stared at her face for a while, soaking in every centimeter. Do I really like you? Is that what these feelings are?

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

“Alex, are you sure you are okay with this?” I made a disgusted face at the wash closet sized guest room of the apartment. Literally all you could fit in the place was a twin sized bed, one nightstand, and one closet. There was a single wind, under which was a two-plug outlet. He just smiled and tossed his luggage in one corner and sat on the bed.

 

“It is fine, Chanyeol. It is pretty nice, considering places that I have stayed before I was hired by your father.” I frowned at his words. Alex was orphaned when he was only six years old, and he had lived in an orphanage for the majority of his life. He had also been adopted, and then abandoned again. A friend of my father’s, also being his chief bodyguard, had adopted him and put him through school, raising him as his own. When his adopted father fell ill two years ago, there was no one to protect my family and pay the medical bills. Alex was eager to take up the position and try to help his father. Alex was only about four years my senior, and we got along as though we were brothers.

 

“Don’t make that face, Chanyeol. I am fine. Go wash up. I will cook up some supper and then we can relax.” I reluctantly nodded at his words and made my way to my bedroom to garb some clothes. My room was easily two times the size of Alex’s and I honestly didn’t know what to do with all of the space. I sighed and quickly made my way to the bathroom in my room. I quickly took a shower and got dressed. Alex and I ate supper, and we both went to our rooms.

 

I threw myself on my bed and smiled. At least I am away from the suffocating rooms of that house. I grabbed my phone from my coat and unlocked it. When Chaerin had been asleep, I had inserted my number into her phone, and her number into mine. Silly girl. You should learn to lock your phone. I quickly typed a message and sent it to her.

 

To: Chaerin-ah

 

Yah, are you awake?

 

I waited for just two minutes before she replied. I smiled at her message.

 

From: Chaerin-ah

 

YAH! WHEN DID YOU GET MY NUMBER? And HOW? You had better delete it! I won’t answer my phone from now on.

 

To: Chaerin-ah

 

Don’t be so mean. :( I just wanted a way to stay in touch with you. I put my number in your phone two days ago. While you were sleeping in my car~ ;)

 

I grinned at the emoticons in my message and waited for her to respond once more. My phone didn’t make a sound for at least ten minutes. “Is she really ignoring me?” I sat up and tapped my fingers in waiting. Nothing. I groaned and looked outside of my window. I quickly grabbed my coat and rushed out of my room. I yelled to Alex that I was going to go get some fresh air, I left the apartment and made my way outside of the building. The cool air hit my face and I blew a puff of air out as I looked in the direction of the university.

 

CHAERIN POV

 

“Chaerin, we are out of water and tea. Can you get some form the convenience store? I will pay you back.” Junghee called to me form our mini-fridge and I sighed. I nodded and quickly grabbed my things to head out. I knew it would be chilly, so I pulled on the coat that the jerk Chanyeol had gotten me and made my way out of the dorms. I stared at my phone and scoffed at his messages.

 

That sneaky jerk had gotten my number when I was sleeping. How low of him! How could I ever like a guy like him? He is not my type at all. I shivered as the chilly air hit my exposed face and ears and began jogging to the convenience store just around the corner of the university.

 

As soon as I was inside of the convenience store, I let out a sigh of relief. The warmth was truly welcoming. I grabbed a hold of a basket and looked around for a while, just to get warm. I made my way to the drinks section and began grabbing the usual drinks we drink. I was not really paying attention to where I was going and bumped into someone when I turned around from the coolers that had the drinks we all shared. The person caught me from stumbling backwards and from the drinks spilling out of the basket.

 

“I-I’m sorry! I wasn’t looking!” I began apologizing and then stopped when I heard the familiar chuckle. My eyes widened and moved upwards to meet a very familiar pair of eyes.

 

“You’re too clumsy, Chaerin.” His deep voice was somewhat welcoming and I couldn’t help but smile at him. “You should work on that. You might get hurt if I am not around.”

 

“Kris.” Another deep voice spoke and my eyes turned to see another familiar person. Chanyeol? 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whoo! It is edited, I think. XD I had a friend of mine edit it, since I had my campus visit yesterday, and I had to go shop for stuff when I leave soon.

I hope you liked this! I wrote this a while back, so I wasn't sure if I was going to post it since it has been so long, but I have no time to write new chapters.

I am working on my other fanfic, so please bare with me. I am hoping to update again soon since I have a week off form school! (YAY)

Also, CONGRATS TO THE BOYS FOR GETTING ALBUM OF THE YEAR! And I sincerely hope Kyungsoo feels better soon. Ankle sprains !

Thank you to all of you subbies! I love all of you! *blows kisses* 

Please leave some feedback on the story! I will try my best to respond as soon as possible! <3

Until next time, my lovelies~ <3