I Wasn't Enough

Made in Korea

Jongin knew if he waltzed out of the room where he'd left Kyungsoo waving a gun around, that they'd just take it from him and kick him out. So he let them him got the door, saying nothing about the gun, but the anger and grief bubbling up inside of him was almost too much to control. The two men who had forced him into the monitoring room escorted him to the front glass doors and roughly shoved him out of the labs.

"I wouldn't come back if I were you. Just cooperate Jongin," the kinder of the two said, then they shut and locked the doors. Jongin staggered around, not really able to see where he was going through the tears that he'd been holding back for so long that were now streaming down his cheeks in hot, heavy trails.

"Jongin-ah!" Jongin heard a voice yell from somewhere to his left, but it seemed so far away, and he didn't want to deal with anything at that moment so he kept going in the direction he was headed. "Kim Jongin!" The voice said again, but this time, Jongin recognized it to be Luhan's voice and he felt a hand grab his wrist. Luhan's round, brown eyes met Jongin's and he shook his head. "Oh Jongin. What happened? Where—"

"He's gone. He's gone, they killed him and he's gone," Jongin sobbed, he wiped furiously at his eyes and running nose. "They locked me up and he was locked up and they made me watch, they made me watch them shoot him, Luhan. And they did it to get back at me. Kyungsoo Hyung is dead because of me!" Jongin screamed.

"No, no, no, Jongin-ah, no," Luhan pulled him in and held him, "it isn't your fault. They didn't have to kill Kyungsoo. It's their fault he's gone," Luhan said, his voice cracking on the word kill. As much as Kyungsoo had taken from him, the man was still one of his best friends, and the feeling of sadness and loss was almost unbearable.

"No! Don't touch me! Just stop!" Jongin screamed again, shoving Luhan off of him and running a few feet away. He was beginning to attract attention, and he obviously noticed it. "He's gone! He's dead!" Jongin looked around at the staring people.

Every person looking on at the scene knew exactly who Jongin and Luhan were, and they were eager to see what would happen.

"Jongin," Luhan hissed as quietly as he could where Jongin could still hear him, "what are you doing?"

"I'm avenging him. I am. I'm going to ruin their little system!" Jongin's voice rose at the end of the sentence. Roughly half of the crowd cheered, the other half looked either terrified or confused. "We were happy, but it wasn't real! They altered our memories!" Jongin screamed at the onlookers. Luhan saw him reach underneath his shirt and pull out something small and black. Luhan's face fell immediately. "The Perfect Match System is a scam! And they'll pay! They'll pay for killing him!" Jongin waved the gun at the crowd, and then all hell broke loose.

Luhan shoved people aside trying to reach Jongin, but everyone was screaming and calling out the names of loved ones, and shoving Luhan right back. For every step he gained he seemed to lose two.

"Let me through! Let me through! I can... I have to stop him!" Luhan screamed at the people, beating their arms with his fists, but nothing seemed to make them listen.

"Look, kid, we're all trying to get out of here! You're going the wrong way anyway!" Some guy said, slapping his fists away and throwing Luhan off balance. He fell, scraping his hands on the pavement when he caught himself. He winced, but pushed himself up enough to crawl through the people. They seemed to let him through that way, so he continued until he got to the front of the crowd. He scanned the area, it didn't look like anyone had been shot, and he hadn't heard a any gunshots, but he didn't see Jongin.

"Hey, listen," Luhan heard someone being to speak in a slow, soft voice off to his right, "I'm sure whatever happened... It's fixable. I'm sure whoever you're talking about is okay–"

"I don't even know you! Get away!" Luhan whipped around at the sound of Jongin's distressed voice and spotted him on the other side of the street from where he had been before. Everything around them was still complete chaos– running, screaming, crying.

"Jongin-ah!" Jongin turned at the sound of Luhan's voice, wind whipping his hair in every direction. The man who was trying to help him had fled the scene, not wanting to be stuck near a crazy guy with a gun. Luhan could see, even from across what must have been an entire street that Jongin was sobbing. There were tear tracks down his cheeks and Luhan had never seen him look so, completely defeated before. Jongin was shaking as he looked Luhan in the eyes, making sure that the boy could see him clearly.

"I love you. I loved him. I still love you both," Jongin whispered, knowing Luhan wouldn't have heard him even if he had shouted it across the street, or from the rooftops like he'd wanted to do with Kyungsoo. "I'm so sorry."

Before Luhan could register what Jongin was about to do, he raised one hand, the hand with the gun, and rested the barrel on the side of his head. Suddenly, Luhan couldn't see anything except for the man he loved, across the street, about to kill himself. It was like he had tunnel-vision, and everything seemed to go in slow motion. He sprang up from his place on the ground, sprinting to the other side of the street.

"Jongin, no!" He screamed, but it was like he hadn't even said it. He heard himself say it, but he couldn't feel anything, his senses seemed blurred. Luhan was only a few feet from Jongin when the distressed boy pulled the trigger, and Luhan saw the light of life leave his eyes. He opened his mouth to scream, but no sound emerged. The crack of Jongin's head hitting the concrete sidewalk was deafening, it seemed like the loudest sound Luhan had ever heard. By the time he reached Jongin, it was too late. He dropped to his knees next to the dead boy.

"No..." Luhan shook his head in disbelief at what had happened. "No, no, no," he took Jongin by the shoulders and shook him once. "Wake up! You don't get to just give up like that!" He screamed, his voice raspy and raw. "I am still here! I am still here, why couldn't I have been enough for you?!" He knew he wouldn't get a reply, but the silence still angered him.

A sob escaped his body, but the sound didn't even seem human. It was the sound of pure pain, of grief. "Why was my love never enough for you?" He asked, no longer yelling. He felt his face twist up into a position that was almost painful for him. He squeezed his eyes shut, but no matter what he tried the tears wouldn't stop. "Please," he begged, "you can't be gone, you can't leave me here," Luhan whispered, gripping Jongin's shirt in his fingers so hard that his hands shook and his knuckles turned white. "It isn't fair," he sobbed, "you don't have the right! You don't have the right to leave me here alone after everything we've been through!" And he was back to screaming.

Luhan felt a hand on his right shoulder but wrenched his own body away from the warm touch. Nothing should be warm. Everything should be cold, and horrible because Jongin was gone, and Jongin was all of the good things in life, so all of that should have gone with him, but that touch– it was warm, and caring.

It was out of place.

He felt a presence at his side, and looked over. There was a small child sitting next to him. Luhan tried to cover Jongin's face, so that the child wouldn't be afraid, but only succeeded in getting thick, dark blood on his hands, which made Luhan cry harder. He raked his hands up through his blond hair, which was no doubt streaked with blood by now, and the little boy reached up and took one of Luhan's hands.

The crying didn't stop, the grieving didn't stop, but for a moment, it didn't seem quite as had as it had before. The little boy stared Luhan straight in the eyes, blinking slowly, and brought Luhan's hand up to rest on his heart. It was beating, and steady, and the constant pulse of it brought Luhan back to reality somehow. He looked around him, and saw the boy's parents standing very near by, ready to jump in if anything got serious. The gun that had landed next to Jongin's body after it fell from his hand was gone, and there were people crowding around Luhan and the small boy, who now had blood on his shirt from where Luhan's hand had been.

"I–" Luhan tried to speak, but it was as if his vocal chords were frozen. "I'm so sorry, everyone," he managed to squeeze that much out of his chest. "He– we–"

"You're name is Luhan, right?" The little boy said, his voice small, but not quiet.

"Y-yes."

"And this is... Kim Jongin, right?" The boy asked. Luhan had to clamp a hand over his mouth to keep from sobbing again. He could only nod to the boy in reply.

"Um, and, well, Jongin-ah, Jongin-ah is just taking a nap. You know, he'll be awake soon," Luhan nodded vigorously, his voice shaking along with his hands, which were still clasped between the boy's tiny ones. "Why don't you go over to your parents, so I can get Jongin home, okay?"

The little boy smiled widely and nodded, skipping back over to his parents, who gave Luhan a knowing, grateful, sorry look.

"I'm so sorry for all of this everyone," Luhan apologized to the crowd of people. "He um, he lost someone and... He didn't take it well. I'm just, I'm just going to get him home now, so you can all go, it's fine. I'm fine. We're fine."

With that, most of the crowd dispersed, deciding that the issues of these young, ignorant men were not their problems. But one man stayed– the man that had tried to stop Jongin earlier from doing what was inevitable.

"I'll... Help you," the man said walking over slowly, as if afraid to startle Luhan. The man wasn't old, but he wasn't young either. He was maybe in his late forties, early fifties. Probably had kids of his own. "Do... Do you have a car that we can take him to? Or a ride or anything?" Luhan shook his head.

"I, uh, I– I took a cab here and somehow that doesn't seem like a good option to get back now. I didn't really... Expect for this to happen so, I didn't– I didn't prepare for it–" Luhan rambled on, it was difficult for him to stop.

"Hey, hey, that's okay. That's okay, I have a car. I'll– it's probably better to that you not be driving anyway, after what's happened, let me take you home, okay?"

And then he was frozen again, staring at the lifeless body that was Jongin now. He knelt down on both knees in front of the body, reaching out and gathering Jongin close to him, feeling blood trickle from the head wound, but not caring. He hugged the body close to him, and buried his head in Jongin's necks breathing in his smell.

But it wasn't the same.

"Listen, kid," the man bent down next to him, "this isn't going to be easy and... I'm sorry that someone as young as you has had to go through all of this," the man nodded to himself. "If it helps, there are plenty of people out there who are against this awful system that you were forced... Born into. So... Your friend didn't die in vain. We... We'll fight for him, kid, just remember that."

Luhan nodded. He wasn't able to cry anymore. It was like he was out of tears. The man reached over and took Jongin from Luhan's arms. He carried the body like a baby, but it wasn't like a baby at all.

A baby was new life, so much time and so many experiences ahead of it, but this was different. This was the form of ended life. Nothing left. Not even memories. Because the memory holder was gone from this world. Luhan followed the man for about a block, his body dragging and his heart growing heavier with every step, and then they stopped at a small, blue car. The man opened the back door for Luhan, who slid all the way over to the other side, and then laid Jongin's body in the seats next to Luhan. He took Jongin's head a rested it on his lap. Jongin's eyes were closed, and it was easier for Luhan to pretend he was sleeping, so that's what he decided to do.

It hurt less.

"So," the man cleared his throat, "you're... Nineteen?"

"Yes. Turn right here." Luhan shook his head. "Why are you doing this? Why are you helping me?"

"It isn't fair what they've done to you. What they did to your boyfriend. And I want to help," he said.

"Well. I appreciate it, turn right, but it's a little late for that, don't you think?" Luhan spat, not wanting to sound mean, but it had come out that way. "He's dead. Kyungsoo is dead. I'm the only one left, and god knows they'll come for me soon. Just go straight. They're probably waiting for me at my house, or they'll come for me in the morning. Either way, I'm screwed. It's right here," Luhan muttered and the car rolled to a slow stop. "Thank you. For the ride," Luhan said, wiping at his eyes which had begun to tear up again. He pulled at Jongin's body until he was holding the boy on the curb by his house.

Luhan realized that he should still be crying, or yelling or both, but he felt more numb than anything else. He must have seemed like monster to the man, showing no emotion about the whole thing so soon after it had all happened.

"If you ever need anything else, give me a call, son. I'll be there," the man handed him a small piece of paper, and then Luhan could only stand there, alone except for his dead love in his arms, and watch the man's headlights disappear.
________

 

A/N: 

so this chapter is short. Also more death. Yeah I'm sorry, but I'm not sorry.... Man. Okay but I like this chapter so..... YAYYYY!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE comment below, upvote if you feel obligated and yeah.

(the man that helped Luhan isn't part of the story after this he just needed to be there for plot purposes...)

THANKS GUYS!

only 2 or 3. Chapters till the end!!!

-Luhandsome123