The Backup Plan

Made in Korea

Ch. 21

POV: Narrator

 

“But sir, the kiss probably meant nothing; it was just a moment of poor judgment by Jongin and Kyungsoo, I assure you-”

“Joonmyun. If it was nothing more than a moment of poor judgment, then why did they come here to retrieve their memories. And more importantly, how did they succeed?” Kris hissed through his teeth at the head scientist who swallowed nervously. Joonmyun opened his mouth to answer, but for a moment he was just gaping at Kris, as no sound seemed to come out of his mouth.

“…Well. I assume that it had nothing to do with the kiss, sir. The motivators were probably the fact that Kyungsoo was dying, and that… well, sir, if someone told you that you’re entire life was basically fraud… wouldn’t you want to know the truth?”

“No. Not if I was happy. I would not. And they were happy,” Kris concluded.

“Yes… yes, well then I can’t answer your question sir.” Kris sighed, and Tao rose to stand behind him, laying his hands on Kris’ shoulders, rubbing them gently. Kris seemed to relax, and Tao nodded at Joonmyun to continue. “We do have Kyungsoo, and as you instructed, we let the other two go… we gave them the ultimatum. Dr. Zhang called them about it. I am not sure what they will do.”

Kris raised his eyebrows, seemingly unimpressed and Joonmyun bit his lip, having nothing left to say.

“If I may,” Chen, Joonmyun’s assistant scientist cut in, “I was there during the call. The boys sounded…” He paused as if trying to find the right word to describe their reaction. “Distressed at first, and then… open to the offers.”

“Good,” Kris said, “That’s good.” He leaned back in his chair, letting his head fall back to look at the vice president, but still speaking to the scientists. “Dismissed.” 

The two shuffled quickly out of the office, hoping to avoid painful physical punishment again. Tao glanced at the doorway, watching it drift shut as his hands travelled up Kris’ neck to his chin, which he hooked a finger underneath, leaning down and fitting his lips to Kris’. Kris smiled lightly and curled his fingers into the fine hairs at the nape of Tao’s neck. Tao pulled back first.

“Relax, Kris,” Tao swiveled the president’s chair around to face him, straddling Kris’ lap. “It’s all,” he placed a kiss on Kris neck, then one on his collarbone, “going,” he planted one more kiss on Kris’ lips, “to be fine,” Tao assured.

“Why do you always do this after meetings with those… sad excuses for scientists?”  Kris asked, loosely wrapping his arms around Tao’s lower back. Tao leaned back a little so he could look at Kris.

“Because they annoy you. They worry you. They stress you out,” Tao said, and then leaned forward leaning his forehead against Kris’, “and this helps you relax.” He kissed Kris again, gripping the other’s hair between his fingers. Kris smiled and pulled back.

“That’s true. I feel better now. Thank you, Taozi.” Tao stood back up and turned Kris toward his desk again.

“So… what are you thinking about the… Kyungsoo and Jongin situation?”

“There’s really only one option, don’t you agree?” Kris asked, as if it was obvious.

“With all due respect, Kris, Sehun is not ready. Bringing him into this could quite possibly just make it worse.”

“We made back-ups for a reason, Tao, this is what he was born to do. He’s going to have to be ready,” Kris pushed.

“And what do you suggest we tell the population? They won’t forget Jongin if we replace him, they’ll be confused, we will lose our following-”

“Well just put something in the water, Tao. It’s been done before-”

“Yes. It has. And we screwed it up, which is why all of this is happening, you know that. The drug that makes people forget but it isn’t permanent. It lasts a couple of years, yes, but it won’t stay for long enough Kris. No one remembered the first revolution, but they are starting to, and they are beginning to realize that they still feel the same way. We didn’t implement the perfect match system fast enough, the drug wore off before we thought it would, and now we might have another revolution on our hands. There has been talk, Kris.”

“Then while at least some of them cannot remember we will make something that will work. Something that is permanent. This is our only option, Tao. You know that as well as I do.” Tao closed his eyes and drew in a deep breath.

“Yes.” He walked over to the office phone and pressed a few buttons, picking up the receiver. “Please send Sehun in, Joonmyun,” Tao paused for a moment. “Yes I am aware of his stats- yes I know- I know what you told me! I don’t care! Send him up now, Joonmyun!” He slammed the receiver back down. “They’re hesitant, Kris. They would know better than you if he is ready or not. He was supposed to have years more, this isn’t how it was supposed to go,” Tao chewed on the inside of his cheek nervously.

“I told you this already. I don’t care if he isn’t ready. He was born for this.”

“But-” Tao began to argue again but there was a soft wrap of knuckles on the door. Tao looked at Kris with an expression that said- this is your last chance to give up on this idea. Kris just glared defiantly back at him and said-

“Come in.”

The door was inched open shyly, revealing a young boy around the age of eighteen or nineteen. His hair was light brown in color, and he had dark, chocolate colored eyes to match. The boy was tall, much taller than the scientists had intended him to be, but they couldn’t control everything.

“Sehun, please come in. We’d like to speak with you,” Tao said softly. Tao would never tell this to anyone, especially not Kris, but Oh Sehun had always been his favorite project. He had almost come to care for the boy.

Almost.

Sehun took a step inside the office, closing the door quietly behind him. The president and vice president looked at him expectantly, but the boy said nothing, staring silently at the ground.

“Oh Sehun,” Kris began.

“Yes sir?”

“As you may know, you were created as… a back up. The original Perfect Match had…problems. So when we created Jongin and Luhan, we created you as well. In case anything was to happen to Jongin, do you remember being told this before?” Kris asked.

Sehun nodded. “Yes sir. When I was very small I was educated about the perfect match system and its past problems and what I was born for. I think about it every day. Sometimes I wish that I didn’t know the things that I know.”

“Why is that, Sehun?” Tao asked, curious, having never heard the boy say anything of that sort before.

“Well my Match… Luhan, sir. I… will probably never be with him or even get to meet him so… it makes me sad and it hurts to think about him. So sometimes I wish that I knew nothing of him at all,” Sehun explained, clearly keeping strong emotions behind a mask.

“Well then you will be happy to know that something has… gone wrong. Or it probably will. So, Oh Sehun,” the boy stared at the floor, still. “It’s time.” The words echoed in his head. It’s time. It’s time. It’s time. Could it mean what he thought it meant? Was he finally going to meet his Match? After all this time? Sehun’s gaze shot up from the floor and he met Tao’s eyes. The vice president smiled a small smile and nodded.

“I’m… going to meet him? Finally?” Sehun asked, a little confused, but still excited.

“Yes. You’re going to meet Luhan soon.”

“When?” Sehun asked, now desperate for more information. “Where? Why? What happened?”

“What has happened, or will happen, is none of your concern. Just know that you’ll meet him soon,” Tao said. Sehun bounced up and down excitedly on the balls of his feet, wishing they would just tell him what happened, but didn’t dare push the subject.

“Yes… Thank you! I-”

“You are dismissed,” Kris informed. Sehun swallowed nervously, realizing he had spoken out of turn, and bowed respectfully. He turned and left the office.

“That was a little cruel,” Tao whispered, “He was only excited, Kris. He has a right to be excited-”

“Well I am not excited that we have had to resort to this,” Kris spat, letting out a breath.

Tao bit his bottom lip, not wanting to give Kris the information that he’d been keeping to himself, thinking it wouldn’t get out of control. He was wrong.

“Kris I know this probably isn’t a good time for more bad news, but there is something you should know.” Kris looked at Tao, clearly confused.

“What other bad news could there be that I don’t know about?”

“I’ve been keeping how bad it had been from you, I didn’t think it would be a real issue, and you’ve been so stressed lately…” Tao shook his head. “There’s been talk. There’s been serious talk of another revolution like the last one Kris. People are organizing groups…Civil War isn’t something we can afford right now, and I hoped that I would just go away after a while…”

“And it will. Once we drug the water, it will be fine,” Kris concluded.

“No. They’ll forget Jongin. They will not forget how angry they are about the Perfect Match System-”

“So make them forget. Make the drug do what we did to Luhan’s, Sehun’s, Kyungsoo’s, and Jongin’s brains. Make it take all of the anger they have toward the Perfect Match System, and put it somewhere else. We still have that drug don’t we? We may have used the machine to put memories in their heads, Tao, but the feeling displacement given through a vaccine, was it not?”

“Well… yes but-”

“So alter it. And do it fast. I’m guessing that Jongin and Luhan will be here any day now to get Kyungsoo. We have to be ready.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________

*READ ME IF CONFUSED

so, I know I haven't talked that much about the revolution thing, so it might be confsuing to you guys. (sorry i )

So basically (lets say 10 years ago) there was a 'revolution' of sorts against the government (the same one that is in place now). It was basically a really horrible bloody civil war within just that city, because Kris and Tao don't run a large area, it just a really small part of S. Korea (obviously this is fake please don't comment and be like "WHOA RLY".)

SO, there was a revolution, obivously the government won. Even after they won though, there were some issues. So what they did is they put like a drug in the water (don't ask me how they invented this ubt they did okay) that basically made people forget all about the revolution. So like... there were some proble,s with it, like some people didn't react well, and some people forgot more than just that, but over all it seemed to work for the government's purposes. So they realized that they needed a new form of control over the population, so they turned to the people who made that drug, and the Perfect Match System came from that.

So what's happening now, is the drug is wearing off, after about 10 years. So that's how people are opposed to the PMS (HAHA i just realized that Perfect Match System is PMS). So Tao is worried about another 'revolution' like the last one. But the whole thing about the PMS, is tat it was supposed to PREVENT another revolution, just in case something went wrong with the drug. But the drug ed up before they  thought it would, so the people have only barely been introduced to the PMS. So they are all coming up with their own opinions about it (as said in one of the early chapters I think).

SO. sorry if you were confused, I hope that helped and PREPARE TO BE SAD.

yay thanks 

A/N:

So if I had to choose two words to describe this chapter they would be: Short and ty

Sorry about that. So even though I don't like it al that much, I hope that you guys did! And HEY, Sehun is FINALLY HERE! WHO'S EXCITED???

*raises hand

*looks around

*realizes no one else is raising their hands because they don't like the reason he has been brought into the story

*hangs head in sham but does not chnage plot plan

 

SO. I'm just gonna put this out there. THE END OF THIS STORY WILL BE SAD. (I'm guessing it isn't going to end the way you want it to/ think it will). But please stay with me, I promise that I will do my best to make the ending satisfactory even though it might not end the way you would like it to. This is my first really sad story, I wrote a one shot called Worth The World (Go check it I LOVE IT. #shamelessselfpromoting) and that was sad, but I think this one is sad in a different way...

IDEK guys. damn. Okay but anyways thanks for reading, please please PLEASE comment below, I love hearing form you guys, and often your comments help me come up with more ideas to incorporate into the story! 

So I hope you guys do end up liking the story the way I end it, aaaaaand the next chapter guys, damn the next chapter. TAKE A DEEP BREATH EVERYONE AND PREPARE YOURSELVES K.

love y'all!

Thanks for being the best subscribers ever!

-Luhandsome123