The First

Made in Korea

 

 
 
"May we all celebrate. For this is the anniversary, and birthdays of the first genetically matched perfect couple!" The President announced in an official and formal tone to the sea of people spreading out in front of the community building. "Presenting, for the first time since their birth- LuHan and Kim Jongin!"
 
Jongin and Luhan held each other's hands, took a deep breath, and stepped onto the sunlit platform. They squinted in the sunlight, but resisted bringing their hands up to cover their eyes because they had been instructed not to do such things. 
 
They had to seem normal.
 
Cheering came from every direction, and they winced at the volume level- they'd never been outside before; but always in a small, pristine, white room; and if they were lucky they'd get some classical music played for them.
 
Luhan and Jongin were the first genetically matched perfect couple, or so they had been told. They knew they were different than everyone else, they were literally made for each other. Before their birth, scientists had taken tests on many mature adults in the community to see their personalities. Then they chose four- two women and two men to create the perfect couple. Based on statistics, certain personality traits matched well for couples. So the scientists and doctors planned to simulate this by having men and women reproduce and have babies with these specific traits. They would prove to the community, and the government that this would work, and then everyone would want to do it. Then, the community would be happier, and the government would have the form of control over the human population that they wanted and had asked the scientists for.
 
But the scientists had to take into account that not every child grew up to be an attractive adult. They had to test physical appearances, and alter genes in some simple ways to make sure that the couple would be physically appealing to their audiences. This too would be a factor in convincing people whether or not to use the method- and they had to use the method.
 
Whatever they had done worked- maybe better than they had meant it to. Luhan and Jongin were, to most people, seemingly flawless, and almost perfect opposites of each other- so they matched well. They filled the holes that were missing in each other, or so it seemed.
 
Luhan with light, porcelain skin and Jongin with a darker, richer skin tone. Jongin was muscular and solemn unless you deliberately told him to be happier, while Luhan was still muscular, yes, but had a smaller build, and you could hardly ever get him to stop smiling.
 
There was one experiment before Luhan and Jongin though, and half of that experiment still lived. Luhan and Jongin and been told that Kyungsoo was created to be their perfect best friend, but they knew this could not be true- they all fought too often; and if he was created to be their prefect best friend, they would never fight- just as Jongin and Luhan never fought.
 
"Jonginnie?"
 
"Hmmm?"
 
"What...what are we going to do after this? What happens to us?"
 
"We live our lives, I think," Jongin replied calmly, keeping a fake smile plastered on his face.
 
"But..."
 
"We'll ask the Scientists after this, okay? I just want this day to be special for us," he squeezed Luhan's hand and fixed his hair. The crowd sighed and cheered louder, which made the boys laugh and wave to the audience cutely. 
 
"They have just turned nineteen years old today and are very excited to meet all of you!"  The president shouted into a microphone. A large screen projected a picture of Luhan and Jongin standing together, holding hands, and nodding at what the president had stated, just as they had been instructed to do. "They are clearly in love, don't you agree?" He asked the people. They all shouted yes, and Jongin wrapped an arm around Luhan's waist, as he had been told to do at this time. 
 
Luhan smiled, but he did so of his own free will, because Jongin really did make him happy. 
 
Do not be mistaken. Jongin loved Luhan with all of his heart; but if things had been different maybe he wouldn't. The same goes for Luhan; but things were not different. They were the way they were and this was their reality- a love that they thought is real, but was just a simulation. 
 
The president turned to them and nodded. They didn't understand why they had to prove their love to anyone; but they did as they were told anyway.
 
Jongin took Luhan up in his arms and leaned his head against Luhan's. He whispered something that no one else could hear, which made Luhan smile. Jongin leaned in and pressed their lips together. The kiss was slow and passionate, and the audience began to clap and cheer. Jongin and Luhan didn't even notice. They were used to kissing in front of people; they were always under observation, every second of their lives so far. 
 
After a while they broke the kiss for air, and realized that everyone was watching, and clapping, and cheering;  mothers were crying of happiness, and little kids were staring in wonder up at the perfect couple. Jongin and Luhan laughed and waved cutely. Then they retreated into the building and returned to the pristine white halls that they knew so well.
 
And no one noticed the boy with the big eyes who was standing in a dark corner, watching the boy with dark skin with a look of longing in his eyes. 
 
Nobody noticed Kyungsoo.
 
EN: YAY FIRST CHAPTER EDITED! Sorry about the update notifications.