Chapter 1 -- Amateur

Monsters: The Mousetrap

Hana rushed to the station, she had spent the whole night looking over the "Missings" case. No one was taking it seriously, they had all assumed that the girls had run away or something. Despite the hard evidence that proved they weren't the type to run away like the officers assumed, only Hana seemed to care about them.

But she knew better, why would any of them just up and leave their friends alone on a Friday night? They had just spent the night out together, why choose that time of all times to run away?

All the cops were just lazy asses that didn't want to take on a case that required actual work. Hana still couldn't prove much, given all the differing eyewitness testimonies.

But she knew it in her gut, something gravely wrong had happened to these girls. And she just needed someone to listen.

She stepped into the station and looked around for someone who would listen. Any officer who wasn't sleeping, ignoring her presence or just looked like they could be interested.

"May I help you?" A man asked her with a smiling face.

"I'm Hana and I'm here to report several missing girls." She said calmly.

"Very well. Let's talk at my desk. My name is Doojoon by the way." He told her, directing her to one of the closer empty desks.

She sat down in the chair across from him and he got himself settled as he waited to hear what she had to say, "Several missing girls you said?" He asked her.

Hana took out her folder and showed him pictures of the missings, "Bae Suji, Park Bo Young, Lee Jieun, and Im Yoona have all disappeared within the past month, one disappearance a week." She explained.

He looked over the pictures and noticed that other than the fact that they were all beautiful, the girls had nothing in common. The type wasn't a commonality.

"Do you have any proof?" He asked her.

She looked at his name plaque before looking up at him, "Well, Officer Doojoon. All of them disappeared in the same way. In the middle of night, while someone else was with them, and then completely without a trace." She explained.

Doojoon looked over her notes and saw what she was trying to avoid telling him. "All the victims have different accounts from eyewitnesses. One of them smelled strawberries, another vanilla, one of them is lavender. The other was with a friend, one was with a boyfriend. That stories are too different." He told her.

"I know but eyewitness accounts aren't trustworthy anyway. The point is that all of them have gone missing. Im Yoona disappeared just two days ago. and Bae Suji was the first one, no one has seen her for the past month." Hana replied.

Doojoon simply shook his head, "I'm sorry, Miss Hana. But we cannot investigate these disappearances, for all you know the girls just ran away. Look at this one, Yoona, her boyfriend could have been abusive." He pointed at her picture.

"You don't understand. None of them have any records of priors. None of them have any reason to run away. No one has any reason to leave their friends or boyfriends stranded, leaving them worried and concerned for their safety. None of them have anything to indicate that they ran away. They didn't empty their bank accounts or try to pack clothes, nothing. They just disappeared." Hana argued.

Doojoon sighed in frustration, "I'm sorry, Miss Hana. But we cannot investigate these cases. Please forget about them and just live your life as you have been normally." He told her, as he stood up and gestured for her to leave.

She narrowed her eyes at him, "I knew you wouldn't listen to me. You never work hard, you just take all the simple jobs and expect things to just fall into place." She criticized with a huff, taking her things and leaving the station.

She shouldn't have even bothered with the police in the first place, why would they help her? She would have better luck on her own. She rushed back to her studio apartment where she created a sort of office for herself.

She had maps tacked up, strings that connected the dots along the walls. She had pictures pinned up and writing everywhere. This puzzle had been bothering her for the past two weeks. She only got the message recently and she had to solve it before another girl went missing.

Her cell phone went off in the silence and surprised her. She grabbed it off her desk and slid the lock to answer. 

"Hello?" She answered.

"I have a meeting set up for with Yuri Kwon, Im Yoona's best friend." Seungyub said, without even greeting her.

"Thank you. How soon?" Hana asked him.

"In two hours at the coffee shop downstairs." He replied. "By the way, I have more info on Yoona." 

"Do tell." She said.

"Im Yoona. Student at the Seoul Arts Fashion Academy. She was one of the top 15% of her class for design as well as photography. She is known for having the best bare face on campus, and many of the other girls like to use her as models for various fashion shows that happen throughout the year." Seungyub said. "That's all I got though."

"That's good enough. Thank you for setting up the meeting with her best friend. I will buy you meat later." Hana told him, getting herself more organized and ready to ponder this puzzle some more.

"You owe meat three times over, noona." Seungyub told her, before hanging up the phone.

She scoffed and rolled her eyes at the phone, that boy would keep count.


Author's Note;
Here is an update :)
Hana unni has already departed for Japan to teach there :)
Doojoon is a cop. And if you guess the trend between the last four missing girls.
I will reward you with a pic request :) hehe ;3
Enjoy ^^V