Listen

29 Days Before

 

 

The food in her plate had never been touched. She kept playing with her food instead of eating it. Her weird behaviour made both of her parents stared at her in curious. Even her soon-to-be husband was staring at her too. But it seemed, she didn’t notice it.

 

“Yunshi.” Daehyun placed his hand on top of hers, snapping her away from her deep thoughts. He gazed at her, trying to figure out anything wrong in her eyes. “What’s up with that long face?”

She pouted. “This is not a long face. This is a face of curiosity plus, betrayed.

The parents’ eyes widened. “What do you mean, sweetie? Betrayed?!” Mrs. Lee voice was already in a high pitch, almost could be categorized as shrieking. And Mr. Lee choked, hearing the loudness of his wife’s voice.

“Slow down, Chagiya.” He hissed and took a sip of the plain water beside his plate.

 

Yunshi held her laughter, seeing her mother and father. She then cleared and rolled her eyes sharply towards Daehyun who was totally dumbfounded.

 

“This guy!” Her index finger was pointing at Daehyun and she bit her bottom lip. “He chose his tuxedo alone. Let me emphasized it, ALONE. And for these past few days, he was always busy that sometimes I begin to think he has an affair.” She blurted them out, in honest.

 

Mr. Lee smiled. “I thought he had already told you that he would choose his tuxedo with your unnie, hadn’t he?”

 

Silent and lost.

 

Her face was emotionless, but her heart. It was beating so hard that she could feel, it would burst out or maybe, explode. She let herself drowned into her own memories of the past few days ago. And guess what? That was no record of Daehyun had told her. But she wasn’t selfish. Maybe, there were some reasons, at least A REASON of all this mess.

 

Yunshi forced a smile. A bright one that people couldn’t differentiate whether it was sincere or not. “Omo! Almost forgot.” She slapped her forehead and smiled sheepishly at Daehyun. This time, Daehyun was the one who rolled his eyes sharply at her. “Okay, forget about that. Daehyun-ah, I have go to the boutique. Can you come with me?” She asked politely and no aegyo.

 

“But I have somethings to do.”

Her heart fell. “Never mind!” She beamed happily, hiding her cracked heart.

 

- - - - - - -

 

 

Yunshi was staring at Sunggyu, who was drawing something on a piece of white paper. He looked serious. But that serious face was calmer that Daehyun’s cheerful face. She just noticed about it.

 

It was raining heavily outside there and Yunshi had informed her mother that she would be home late. But when she thought about Daehyun back, she was hoping the coulds would never stopped crying.

“Since you are deaf, I think, I want to talk as much as I want to. And it is so boring without Hyera Unnie here.” She sighed and faked a smile. “Mr. Tree, whenever I see you, I always remember my niece’s pet which is a hamster. Since Miyu didn’t put a name for her pet, then I’m going to suggest her putting ‘Sunggyu’ as the pet’s name.”

 

Although she was talking, Sunggyu remained the same, focusing on his work.

 

She swallowed hard. “I know I am pathetic. Too pathetic.” Her lips trembled. “You know, my future husband. Oh yeah, you haven’t meet him because he was so snobbish back then that he refused to enter this wonderful boutique.” She chuckled. “Well, I can feel that we both are getting far away with each other, day by day. He’s busy all the time, shooting me with a lot of negative imaginations. Luckily, 90% of our wedding plans have been done. It was just, lucky.”

 

She glanced at Sunggyu and he never flinched. He was deaf, by the way.

 

“You know what did I find out this morning, Sunggyu-sshi?” At last, she lost. Her tears fell down. She could not hold it anymore. “If you are in my place, how did you feel if your wife bought  her wedding gown with other guy? And what made everything became more hurtful, that guy is you brother. How do you feel?” Yunshi’s fingers slowly, curling into a tight fist. She lowered her head and began sobbing softly. Her tears were flowing freely from those beautiful eyes.

 

Suddenly, a pair of warm palms landed on her soft cheeks, wiping away those unwanted tears on them.

 

“You are so ugly when you cry,” he said slowly, letting his thumbs dried all the tears. They were a few centimeters away.

Yunshi froze. “S-Sunggyu-sshi.”

He smiled. “I knew that you were given 29 days and you have a lot to worry about. Your wedding dresses, accessories and much more. Maybe, he refuses to add another and more burden in your head. Why? Because he loves you. Don’t you think so?”

 

Sunggyu’s voice was soothing enough to persuade her.

 

Yunshi was stunned, but then, nodded her head weakly. Sunggyu put his thumbs at both ends of her lips and forced her to smile. She sniffed and gave him a wide smile. A sincere one.

“That looks better.” He stood up, after a few minutes of kneeling down. “I’ll make you a mug of hot chocolate. The best drink to let yourself calm.”

She nodded. “Oh, wait.” Yunshi stopped him. “I thought you are deaf…” she rubbed the back of her neck, awkwardly.

Sunggyu shrugged. “I am deaf when it is needed and I should listen, when it is important.” With that, he walked to the small kitchen of the boutique, leaving her alone.

 

Yes, I should listen when it’s important, she whispered to herself. Somehow she felt, she had heard those words before. My imagination, maybe. She shrugged those thoughts away.

 

 

Listen when it was needed.
Day 9