Could Not

29 Days Before

 

The car stopped at the roadside. Daehyun glanced at his fiancee and soon, shifted his view toward the surrounding. He was so confused that he scratched the back of his neck, in wonder. “What are you going to do here?”

The place looked like a hill. Less people and most of them were some old folks. Yunshi smiled. “I just want to have some time alone before I’ll never be alone.” The words sent a very deep meaning.

Daehyun nodded a little and unlocked the door. “Be careful. And, are you sure you’ll be all right if I leave you here? How are you going to go back home?” He sounded anxious.

“Don’t worry,” she answered, freeing herself from the seatbelt and looked up, where their eyes met. “I’ve been here a lot of times. I know how to go back home. Well, I’m going. Take care, Daehyun.” She opened the door and stepped out from the car. This place, she missed it so much.

 

Staring at her figure which was fading away, he was startled. His jaw dropped and his heart raced. In a trice, Daehyun took his phone. The person that stuck on his mind was, Kyunshi. He searched for her number as fast as lightning and pressed the call button. The beep sound made his heart pounded harder and harder. “Kyunshi, answer me.” He bit his bottom lip.

The call went waste when the voicemail hit his eardrum instead of Kyunshi’s sweet voice. “Damn Kyunshi!” He re-dialled her number again, hoping for an answer. “Come on, Kyunshi. Your sister is remembering everything!” He shouted alone and near to become an insane.

 

 

While Yunshi, she was walking slowly, enjoying the green and beautiful nature around her. The air was indeed refreshing and a great therapy for distracted minds of endless busy people. Closing her eyes, she let the cold breeze touched her cheek. This place, where the memories been buried. She let out a long sigh before climbing the little hill.

The pasts began to linger in her mind, aching her heart. A scar was left too. It bled, right away when she remembered how Sunggyu and her, chased their little daughter, happily. How they had a picnic nearby. How wonderful it felt to kiss under the blooming Sakura trees with the man she loved.

 

And how terrible for those moments to be ruined.

 

She kept her gaze low, until she was there, the place they promised to go when they both forgot to love each other. She gritted her teeth and looked up.

 

For a second, the time stopped.

 

She opened .

“Sunggyu.”

“Yunshi.”

They called each other, in shock, but once at all. It made them startled.

“Why are you here?” Yunshi blinked, totally in confusion.

 

He shook his head. “Don’t ask me,” he answered and ran toward her, ready to hug the wife he missed so much. He hugged her dearly, hiding his face on her shoulder, and that was how he realized, he missed the smell of her perfume.

“Sunggyu...”

“I forgot to love and… and I forgot my love. It explains… it explains why I’m here.” He sobbed. His hands were still locked around her torso, not wanting to let her go. Never.

 

The tears she held, finally found its way to escape. She hugged him back and heard a loud pounding heart of his. He must be too happy right now, she guessed. She secretly smiled.

 

- - - - - - - -

 

“I found a torn photo of us. But there was only my picture and your part were missing. I wondered why, and the history simply came, greeting me,” he said, telling how he gained everything belonged to him again. Sunggyu gazed at Yunshi, bitting his bottom lip. “I never cheated on you. I swear I never-”

 

“Don’t.” Yunshi caressed his forehead, tenderly. “I knew everything.”

He became dumbfounded. “You know way earlier than me?” The young lady nodded. “Then why aren’t you fix everything back?”

“They separated us because of their silly minds. They destroyed our little family. For years.” She stared at him, deeply. “Do you want to let them go? Just like that? My answer is no. I won’t. Evil must be paid with devil.”

Sunggyu gulped. “What are you going to do?” he asked, slightly having the feeling of uneasiness. He knew Yunshi very well. Once this girl said she would do, she was going to make it into something so successful.

Yunshi sniffed as the devil plan played in her mind. “I’ll do the same. I will let them both forget each other and struggle. They have to be punished.”

 

She started to imagine the aftermath soon. How they were going to greet each other like nothing and how they were going to see each other totally like a stranger. That would be amusing, in her opinion.

 

Slowly, he reached for her hand and grasped it. “Let’s not do that, dear.” His gaze was soft that Yunshi melted on the very right moment.

Her forehead furrowed. Why didn’t Sunggyu support her? She was punishing the persons who had once killed the love and bonds between some people. Why Sunggyu couldn’t understand her intention?

 

“Why?” She asked, sternly. “I am punishing them of what they had done to us. What is wrong with that?”

He faced her and placed his both hands on her shoulder. “Punishing is done by Him, The God. It is not and will never be our job to punish someone. Besides, it sounds too childish holding revenge on a person. What makes it worst is, you are torturing your sister. She did everything to make you happy, but maybe in a wrong way. In an unacceptable way by deceiving everyone. But I’m sure, she wants you to be happy.”

 

Yunshi lost her word. This guy, and his kind words. He was sincere, she knew it. But sometime, kindness was as a flaw in this world. Kind people reducing because of the unfair bulls were way more than the goods.

She shook her head and removed both of his hand which gripped her shoulder, tightly. “No. No, honey. You are too nice, that’s why they stepped on your head. And I, as your wife, will never let it happen again.”

 

Yunshi spun around, ready to walk away. Somehow, the last thing she was about to point out to him, stuck in . She forced herself, though.

With her back facing him, she spoke. “Forever, my heart never changed. But grudge must be paid. I will marry him.” She paused. “So, yeah.” She shut her eyes. “Let’s pretend we never remember each other. Let’s pretend that we never feel the affection toward each other. And let’s pretend, our relationship is just between a customer and designer.”

 

And Yunshi left Sunggyu while the Sun started to disappear from their sights, leaving human in darkness.

 

His heart broke. Again. “How could you.”