New Book

29 Days Before

 

Miyu glanced at her mother, who was driving beside her. The way Yunshi furrowed her brows, Miyu understood what was running in her mind. What distracted her. The little girl lowered her head, playing with her small fingers.

 

“Omma. Are you okay?” She brace up herself to speak up. The silence was killing her and made her hard to even inhaled some air.

Yunshi forcefully smiled. “It is a lie if I say I’m okay,” she answered, stated clearly her condition.

“I think, Appa needs some times, as you said. Everything will not going to come back too soon. Please be patient with him, Omma.” The little girl’s voice cracked.

 

She became startled as her daughter’s lines simply gave a pang in her heart. She gazed at her for a few seconds, amazed with Miyu. She was six, but she talked like a woman, not a girl. Maybe, it was because of time. She had went through such a hard time, for so long. Maybe, that was it.

 

Her lips trembled and the breathing turned uneven. “I’m sorry, Miyu. But I think, it is your Appa who refuses to remember. He won’t even let himself listen to my explanation and that was enough as his denial.”

Miyu blinked. “But Appa is in progress of gaining his memories,” the little girl fought back.

She sighed, heavily. “Don’t you hear what he said? He did not want to see me again. How am I supposed to help him if he had pushed me away, from the beginning of the truth? How is he going to know the truth when he had pushed it away?” Yunshi's jaw clenched and she grasped the car steering wheel harder.

 

The last sentence spoken out by Yunshi was the starting point where both of them lingered with silence, keeping their lips locked and having inner monologue, instead. Yunshi then pulled the handbrake as they had arrived in front of Kyunshi’s apartment. For a moment, they both became statue.

 

“I’ve made up my mind.”

Miyu looked up, gazing at her beloved secret mother. She wasn’t fully got the older words. “What do you mean, Omma?”

Yunshi gulped and shut her eyes, collecting some strengths. “I am going to marry Daehyun. I am going to pretend that I’m still a young lady who knows nothing. I am going to be a great bride for Daehyun.” She becalmed. It was too hard for her to continue, but she forced herself to. “And I am going to assume you, as my niece. Not my daughter.”

 

The warm tear finally made it way to roll down. The heart finally found the right moment to shatter in pieces.

 

- - - - - - - 

 

 

The next day, it started with a new book. The old one, it had been thrown away in the deep ocean. Kyunshi twisted the door-knob of her daughter’s room, slowly. She peeked and there Miyu was, sleeping on her bed. Somehow, she looked definitely not in peace. She went nearer toward the child and she realized something. Stain of dry tears on her fluffy cheeks. Kyunshi’s eyes widened.

 

“Miyu-yah.” Softly, she tapped her shoulder, causing her to whine. Kyunshi softened. “Miyu, wake up dear. You have to go to school.” She kept on tapping Miyu’s shoulder till the little girl began to move.

Miyu opened her eyes a little and scratched them. Too difficult to open the eyes, when they were swollen severely. “Omma,” she called, as she saw Kyunshi at her side.

“Why were you crying?” Curiosity urged her for a question.

She stared at Kyunshi and shook her head. “I had a bad dream. That… Omma will leave me.” Probably, she was lying. It wasn’t a dream, instead, it happened. Yesterday. How painful.

It startled Kyunshi. “Haha.” She laughed awkwardly, “Stop talking nonsense, honey. Take a bath quickly and I’ll be waiting at the dining table. Make sure not to be late, okay?” she pinched her nose and giggled, before walking away from the room.

 

Miyu gazed at her mother fading figure, dumbfoundedly. The aftermath of the mental-breakdown she had from the day before today. “Omma really had left me.”

 

 

- - - - - - - 

 

 

“Baby.” Daehyun smiled, widely with his arms opened. Soon, he was hugging his girl, Lee Yunshi. On the other hand, Yunshi faked a smile and unwillingly let her body been hugged by someone who ruined a part of her life.

She laughed dryly and broke the hug. “Hey, Daehyun. I miss you.”

Daehyun scrunched his nose and leaned his forehead on hers. “Oh, really? You are too busy lately. We both are too busy,” he said with his stare fixed on her. “I miss you too.”

 

Those words sounded sincere, that she became blind. Daehyun came closer and soon, his eyes were shut. His lips were about to crash on Yunshi’s, when out of blue, the young lady pushed him away. The young lady bit her bottom lip. And that young lady was Yunshi. He was beyond surprised.

 

“What’s wrong with you?”

Yunshi kept her gaze low. “I’m not feeling well. I’m having a cold and I don’t want you to be sick,” she lied.

Fortunately, Daehyun seemed to believe in her. His fierce expression changed and softened. “It’s all right. Come on.” He offered his palm toward her. Yunshi was hesitating, but she refused to let Daehyun noticed it. She gladly accepted and they walked side-by-side with their hands, swinging together, like children used to do.

 

Sometime, Yunshi took a quick glance at Daehyun. Soon, it became frequent. She had too much things to ask, but they stuck in .

“What is it, baby?” The guy simply asked, making Yunshi speechless. Shocked, of course. “You’ve been taking glimpse of me for thousand times. Yeah. So, what is it?” He turned his head, giving his fully attention to her.

 

She pouted and sighed. It was hard. Hard to be spilled. Those things she wanted to ask, it managed to be harder to say. Yunshi clenched her right fist, which wasn’t holding Daehyun’s hand and embolden herself.

 

She cleared . “This thing, I’ve been wanted to ask you since before.” She looked at Daehyun, and their eyes met. “Why do you want to marry me? What do you see in me?”

Daehyun’s expression. It changed. “Why do you ask-”

“Answer me!” She stopped on her track, forcing him to stop too. The desperate look was radiating from her eyes. She wanted an answer, not a question.

Daehyun blinked. “Because, it is you. I want to marry you because, I love you. You are sweet, although you always make your sour face. You are kind-hearted, although you sulk often. You are lovely, just the way you are.”

 

The atmosphere became silent, for her. But soon, her lips curled up and a smile appeared. She slipped her hands at his waist, and hugged him tightly. “Thank you. Thank you very much.” For describing my sister’s attitude well.

The last sentence, how she wished he heard it.

 

- - - - - - - 

 

 

For a while, he stared at his own reflection in the mirror. He looked awful today. In fact, he felt, everyday he looked awful. He gazed down at his wrist, where his sight met the silver watch. He sighed. He didn’t want his blind date partner to wait for him alone in the restaurant, but in the same time, he never wanted to attend this . Thinking about how hard Hyera had spent her time to search the right girl for him, he gave in.

 

Sunggyu took his cell phone from his pocket and checked the message sent. One from Myungsoo, another one from Hyera. And there was another one more text message. It was from her. Lee Yunshi.

 

‘Sunggyu, thank you very much. I won’t bother you again but please don’t remember anything after this. For the wedding dress, it is perfect. I hope, you’ll be attending my wedding. Thanks, Kim Sunggyu.’

 

He blinked. Some parts of the short text message, he barely understood. He just shook the distracting thoughts away and kept it back in his jeans pocket. He inhaled deeply and walked out the toilet, heading to the seat where his partner was waiting for him.

 

As she saw him, she couldn’t help but smiled brightly. She had fallen in love with him at the first sight. “Are you okay, Sunggyu-sshi?” They just met and the formality was way too awkward to be dropped.

Sunggyu nodded. “Thanks for your concern, Taeyeon-sshi.” He shyly looked at her. Her flawless figure, he admitted that Taeyeon could make guys fell head over heels on her, somehow, he preferred Yunshi more. He simply didn’t know why.

“So, Sunggyu-sshi. I know this sounds a little rush, but I am really interested in you,” she spoke, honestly. “I would like to know you more and maybe we can have a better relationship.”

He became numb. “What makes you interested in me?”

Taeyeon blushed. “I really like your eyes, your voice. Everything.”

 

Eyes, voice, everything. Somehow, he felt, a girl had once told him before, in a very deep and meaningful way.

 

 

 

 

Move on? Sometime, it was an awful thing.
Day 25