The Past

29 Days Before

 

The mother gazed at the daughter, full of disappointment. The father just sat quietly, like he wasn’t exist. The sister was beyond speechless. Her mind was blank like a piece of white paper. The atmosphere was so tense that each of them could admit it obviously difficult to even breathing.

 

“Imo.” Only that little girl was brave enough to break the silence around them. “Why everybody looks gloomy? Did something bad happen?” she asked, innocently.

“Can you go to my room and search for my cell phone? I have a new game I want to show you,” she lied. Miyu wasn’t going to find it because the cell phone was in her pocket.

 

Miyu nodded eagerly, smile plastered on her face and she quickly climbed the staircase, not worrying about her safety. While Yunshi, her eyes stuck on the little kids until she was gone from her view. Her heart began to pound. She knew, when Miyu had gone, the talk would begin. The talk which would force her to think wisely.

 

“Explain,” the father started. “Whatever you’re going to spill, I’m always on your side.”

His already clear statement made Mrs. Lee’s jaw clenched. “If she said she loves both of the guys, you’re going to defend her too? Have you lost your mind, Yeobo?” Mr. Lee lowered down his head, not wanting to reply her. “Anyway, like your father said, explain.” She put aside her anger and ready to listen.

 

For a moment, she lost her word. Her lips became numb. But, she was left with no choice. Whether she wanted it or not, she must tell them everything. Everything with honest.

 

“That guy is my friend.” She her lips nervously. “He is my designer. That’s why we are close to-”

“Friends will never done something in a romantic way.” Kyunshi cut off, becalming the younger. “Do you know how hurt Daehyun is? Why are you acting so immature? You know that you’re going to marry in lesser than a fortnight. And here  you are. Creating mess for yourself!” The words stung Yunshi so bad but Kyunshi didn’t care about it.

 

Mr. Lee and Mrs. Lee never said a word as they were stunned to see their eldest daugther outrage.

 

She sighed. Unexpectedly, smiled. “You smell fishy, Unnie.” Kyunshi’s hard expression, slowly turned into confusion. “Why do you care so much for Daehyun? You’re my perfect sister. Then, why don’t you ask me why did I cheat? Why don’t you ask me to calm down first? Why don’t you ask me if I really did cheat? And why are you putting me aside and Daehyun is like your priority?” The parents became soulless. “Besides, that friend of mine was a married man. He hugged me because he was miserable and we’re friends.” The explanation was fair enough and they didn’t have anything to be suspected.

 

“A-Are you going to marry Daehyun?” The mother asked and held Yunshi’s arm, dearly.

She took a quick glance at Kyunshi who was drowned in guiltiness and her own deep thoughts. With full of confidence, she answered, “Yes. I’ll marry him. I’ll marry him no matter what.”

 

~~~~~~

 

 

“Imo, sing for me. I can’t sleep.” Miyu nudged closer and hugged Yunshi. She refused to sleep with her mother as Kyunshi looked so distracted. Miyu knew her well. If she weren’t in a good mood, then abuse would be a normal thing.

“My voice crack, honey,” she said, half-whispered. She was crying.

Miyu noticed about it and sat up straight on the bed. She spun around and gazed at her aunt, in sorrow. “You are crying. Please don’t. I’m going to cry too.”

“Don’t mind me.” Yunshi pulled her into a warm embrace. “I’m sorry. I am really sorry.” She began to sob harder. And a few minutes later, she had already drowned in her dreamland.

 

. . . . . . . .

 

“Omma. Where are we going?” The little girl whined.

 

The mother softly wiped her tears and inserted the car key into the right place. In a trice, she stepped on the pedal hard and the car sped away, leaving the double-storey house of theirs. She couldn’t control her emotion and let it go by pushing the car pedal harder and harder.

 

The innocent little girl began to cry too. “Omma, please don’t cry. I’m going to cry too.”

“You appa cheated on me. How do you feel if someone don’t love you?” she asked her daughter who knew nothing.

“Appa never cheated. He is a loyal person. Please believe in me, Omma,” the little girl pleaded.

 

The mother bit her bottom lip as she lost her words. She turned her head towards her daughter who was sobbing softly. “I saw him. I saw him cheating with-” she was startled as a loud honk grazed her pinna and when she looked in front, she knew why the honk was pressed. “NO!”

 

. . . . . . . .

 

 

 

Yunshi’s eyes shot opened. She was sweating too. She looked around and her eyes landed on the small clock on the side table of her bed. It was 5 A.M. Her gaze then shifted towards Miyu, who was hugging her, lovingly. She ended up smiling after the terrible dream she got.

 “It was just a dream,” she said, breathless. Yunshi slowly removed Miyu’s hand from her belly and went to the edge of the bed. She slowly got up and walked to the door to exit from her room. She was thirsty and a glass of water was preferable.

 

Carefully, she made her way downstairs to the kitchen. But her pace died when a cell phone rang loudly. It made her jumped, giving a big reaction. Her eyes widely wandered around. As she assured she was the only one in the living room, she brace up herself to go nearer the cell phone.

“Unnie’s phone?” she wanted to ignore it, but something told her to have a look for the caller. Her jaw dropped. “Daehyun? Why is he calling Unnie on this moment?” Curiosity won over her. With her trembling fingers, she picked it up and cleared a throat slowly.

 

“Daehyun.” She sounded almost whispering.

“Kyunshi. Kyunshi? Baby, listen to me.”

 

The phone on her hand was almost slipped from her grasp. Baby?

“Baby, let’s stop this. I’ve had it enough. I can’t marry your sister when the one I love is you.” There was a silent before he continued his unfinished sentence, “Just tell her what she have forgotten in that accident.” Daehyun pleaded on the other line. Just tell her. She needs her memories back. Let the past be a history. I want you to be with me. Please, Kyunshi.”

 

Yunshi lost. The cell phone fell and hit the carpet.

 

Her mind became dumb. No more numb. She felt dumb. “No wonder. No wonder she was so sad when I wanted to get married.”

And that was when she realized. She had remembered a little part of the memories.

 

Miyu was her daughter.