The Vow

29 Days Before

 

 

Slowly, Yunshi took a deep breath through her slightly parted lips. “I, Lee Yunshi, take you, Jung Daehyun, to be my husband, my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you-” she stopped and growled in frustration.

 

Daehyun chuckled and got up from the bench he was sitting on. “You really can’t memorize your own vow, honey?” He was mocking her, of course.

She frowned. “Stop it. Don't make fun of me.” Yunshi spun around, letting her back facing him. She was disappointed on herself. How could she couldn’t remember her vow perfectly, that was the thing which haunted her every time she spilled the beautiful promises wrongly.

“Yunshi-yah.” Without any notice, a pair of hands wrapped around her, creating a lovely moment. He gave her a back-hug to cheer her up. “It is just, you are stressed out with all of these sudden matters. Don’t worry too much. You’ll be sick.” The hug was tightened, giving her a lovely warmness.

A smile crept on her sour face. It turned sweet in a blink of an eye. “All right. I’ll take care of myself.”

 

For a moment, they were froze, while embracing each other. It was the end of winter. And spring was slowly saying hello to all the people. Yunshi smiled, keeping this unforgettable memories in her mind. In her heart.

 

“Imo (aunt).”

 

They both spontaneously broke the hug and cleared their throats, awkward. Yunshi bit her bottom lip in anger, instead of embarrassment towards her beloved niece. She knelt down and narrowed her eyes to Miyu, the 6-year-old little girl. “Oh, sweetie! You just ruin my-”

“Yunshi-yah, she’s a kid.” Daehyun softly cut off, boiling her heart even more.

 

She scoffed. “You, shut your big mouth, Jung Daehyun. This is a girl’s matter.” She closed her eyes tightly, calming herself. Soon, they were opened and shifted back on the innocent girl, who was standing in front of her. “Okay, let’s forget about this although you have disturbed us for countless times.” Yunshi pretended to get angry. “By the way, why are you here?”

 

Miyu blinked her big eyes, innocently. Sometime, she noticed that Miyu was like a mirror which reflected her own self when she was young. When she told Kyunshi about it, the sister said that she always thought about Yunshi when she was carrying the little sunshine in her tummy. So, no wonder the outcome would be someone who stuck on her mind.

 

“I want to have a cup of caramel macchiato, Imo,” said the little girl. She played with her small fingers, and the young lady found it looked cute. The way she spoke to her. Her shyness.

Yunshi ruffled her hair. “Yes, dear. Come on!” She straightened her body, offering the little girl her hand. Without any doubt, Miyu slipped her small hand and their fingers interlaced with each other, perfectly.

“Yah, Lee Yunshi. You haven’t done practicing.” Daehyun was already crossing his arms on his stomach. “How many days left?”

 

She rolled her eyes. Miyu rolled her eyes.

 

Yunshi laughed lightly. “Later okay.”

 

- - - - - - - 

 

 

“So the foods have been settled up?” Yunshi’s face lightened, hearing the voice from the other line. She was on call while Miyu was having her drink. “Really Mrs. Han? Oh my goodness, thank you very much! Yes. May God bless you.” she smiled to herself and ended the call after bidding a goodbye.

 

Miyu stared at Yunshi. In the same time, Yunshi was looking at her, where their eyes met. “Imo is going to get married?”

Yunshi nodded eagerly with a wide smile plastered on her face. “Hmm.”

 

“Why so soon?”

“Because your grandma wants me to. She gave the two of us a month to prepare everything for our wedding. And that one month included with the day she told us. So that’s mean, we only have 29 days to finish up everything.” She explained and took a long sip of her orange juice.

 

The little girl chuckled. “Halmeoni is very greedy,” she commented and pouted.

“Not really. Maybe it’s the best for me.”

 

Miyu nodded and her face turned gloomy. “Really? Imo...” Her voice was soothing enough, calling Yunshi. “If you got married, and you have children. Will you stop playing with me?” Her eyes were hoping for ‘no’.

 

Speechless.

 

Why would she stopped playing with her only niece?

Yunshi caressed her soft cheek tenderly with her thumb. “No way I would.” She sighed, inaudible. “Do you want to follow me to the countryside tomorrow?”

“Why should I?”

“Eh. So arrogant of you.”

 

They both laughed together.

 

“I want to find my wedding dress and Kyunshi's friend told me that there’s a boutique in Gwangju.”

“Ani. I’m afraid I’ll get bored.”

 

“All right, princess.” Her lips curled upward and she moved her sight, gazing outside the big window of the café. Then, she spotted a married couple who walked together with their child on the middle. How lovely. She whispered. I, Lee Yunshi, take you, Jung Daehyun, to be my husband, my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you-

 

Sighed.

I’m an idiot. How could I can’t speak my vow properly? And, she kept trying.

 

 

 

Why did I always forget my vow?
Day 2