Bitter, Funny and Sweet

62 Days

Taeyeon woke up to the sound of the alarm clock screaming into her ear. When she glanced over, it stated at it was only 6:00 in the morning.

“Still one more hour left before my schedule starts”

Taeyeon got out of bed and made her way to the bathroom. By doing that, she’d had to cross by the living room; where Jessica would be sleeping.

But like the day before, she wasn’t there again. Taeyeon scoffed in disbelief.

“Where did that kid go again? Seriously she always sprints off like this”

Taeyeon continued her way to the sink in the bathroom. Just when she was about to reach for her toothbrush, something in the mirror caught her eye. There was a small little post-it taped to her forehead. On it wrote a note.

 

“Went out for an adventure, I’ll be back before 8”

                                                                                -Jessica

 

Taeyeon chuckles at the childish act Jessica had done. How on earth did she fail to notice a piece of paper attached to her skin?

She pealed it off slowly and crumbled it up to throw in the trash can. Her members would be weird out if they find traces of the girl when she should be in the hospital.

Taeyeon continued her morning routine, which concluded brushing her teeth, cleansing her face, etc.

After that she went over to the kitchen to make breakfast for the other girls. Mid-way through making her pancakes, Seohyun woke up. Followed by Yoona and Tiffany. Soon the entire house was up.

 

*

 

“Morning, guys.”

“Oh hey, have some blueberry pancakes. I just made them”

Taeyeon bragged while showing off her dorky smile. Yoona chuckles and accepted her offer. After that, no one bothered to speak or start a conversation. It wasn’t like this before, but ever since the news about Jessica’s accident broke out, the happy atmosphere died down a little.

Everyone just silently ate their food and sipped their drinks. But Sooyoung dared to break that silence.

“So any news about Sica yet?”

Everyone paused what they were doing, their faces slowly turning grim.

“No, Krystal said she’d stay overnight and would call us if anything happens”

Yoona responded before taking another sip of her coffee.

“Is the…you know….12 hours up yet?”

“No, there are still 4 more hours to go”

“….What if she doesn’t—“

“Don't say that Sunny!”

“What if she really doesn’t make it through—“

“Sunny shut up!!”

Yuri slammed her cup of ma juice on the table, causing drops of it to spill all over herself. Sunny, of course, was taken aback by Yuri’s sudden outburst. Yuri realizes what she had just done and her expressions quickly softened up.

“I’m sorry, I don't know what came over me”

“It’s ok Yuri-ah. I don't blame you”

“Thanks, um I think I’m full. I’m going to go change.”

Yuri quickly got out of her chair and into her room. Hyoyeon tried to call her back, but she had already closed the door. Yuri’s plate was still mostly full, the only thing close to empty was her juice. And the majority of it was on the floor and her shirt.

Not soon afterwards, everyone else was done and made way to their own rooms to get ready for another tiring day at work.

Taeyeon was about to put on her makeup when her phone vibrated. It was a text message from her manager telling her, SNSD had the whole week off to relax after everything that had happened.

Taeyeon ran out of the room to deliver the good news to her members.

“Yay! A whole week off!”

“I guess this should do us some good. I mean we do need some time off to calm down and sort things out.”

The girls nodded in agreement at Hyoyeon’s statement.

“I’m going home to stay with my parents for a while, Leo called me two days ago and told me my dad is seriously ill.”

“Aw I’m sorry Tiffany, do you want me to come with you?”

“No it’s ok, I’ll manage. Thanks Seohyun”

Everyone had decided to go home to spend some time with their parents. Everyone’s parents lived in Seoul so it would be easier to visit Jessica every once in a while. Taeyeon decided to stay in the dorms since her parents lived in a village extremely far away.

 

*

 

Half an hour later, everyone had bidden goodbye and left. Well, almost everyone, Taeyeon and Tiffany were left.

“Well, I just booked a flight for tonight. For the time being, I’m going to go visit Sica. Want to tag along Taengoo?”

“Thanks, but no thanks Pany. I think I’ll stay here.”

“You know, Taeyeon. You haven’t paid one single visit to her ever since she’d been enlisted in the hospital. Aren’t you at least a little curious about how she is?”

“I don't have to be, you guys would call me if anything happens, right?”

“Well yeah, but it’s not the same as going there yourself. You’ve been avoiding her for years now, do you perhaps….still like her?”

Tiffany’s sudden question caught Taeyeon off guard. Her eyes looked like they were about of pop out of her face.

“WHAT?!”

“Oh come on Taeyeon, we’re best friends. Don't you think I’ve noticed you had a huge crush on her during our trainee days?”

“W..What are you talking about? This is absurd!”

“Deny all you want Taeyeon, oh by the way you can’t lie to save your life”

Tiffany gave Taeyeon a comforting smile. Taeyeon knew there was no way to lie to Tiffany. They’re been BFFs for almost a decade and the younger girl could read her like a book.

“Fine, I did. But that was long in the past. My feelings for her died a long time ago”

“Really? Then you wouldn’t mind if I try to court her when she’s all better, right?”

Taeyeon couldn’t believe her ears. Was her best friend really interested in Jessica?

“HAHAHA, you should have seen your face. I was just kidding, why so serious? Unless you still like her”

Hearing that, Taeyeon calmed down a little.

“Of course I don't, I was just really surprised. She doesn’t look like your type. And Tiffany I don't like her anymore, I stopped when she and Donghae went out. After that I asked myself what I saw in her. She was just a user and a flirt after all.”

“It’s true Jessica has been in many relationships and had many flings, but you and I both know she’s a good person.”

“Yeah I know she’s not that bad a person but romance wise, she’s horrible”

“Oh come on, that’s exaggerating it a little. Ha, this conversation brings back many memories. I remember she used to called her flings; experimenting.”

“Yep, I remember too. That’s mainly why I stopped liking her, she’s too…playful, I guess”

“Haha, come to think of it, you guys were like complete opposites when it comes to relationships. She’s a ‘player’ while you haven’t even had your first kiss.”

Tiffany has been teasing Taeyeon about having lips ever since high school. It’s amazing how she can keep herself from losing control when they literally work with some of the most good looking people in the world. Even Seohyun, their maknae has had her first kiss.

“Hey! I’ll have you know I’ve already had my first kiss”

Shoot! Why did I say that?!

“OMO! Really?! And you didn’t tell me?! How could you?! Who is it?!”

“I’m not telling you”

Taeyeon stuck out her tongue at Tiffany and laughed.

“Please? Yah Kim Taeyeon, we’ve been best friends since forever now. Tell me, pwease?”

Tiffany tried to beg with her agyeo, but to no avail.

“Nope, not telling, and weren’t you going to be visit Jessica? You better go now before the traffic starts getting bad.”

Traffic in Seoul could really piss even the calmest person on earth off. It gets even worst during rush hour. Tiffany checked her watch and realized if she doesn’t leave now she’ll never be able to make it.

“Ugh, fine I’ll go. But don't think I’m going to let this one slip, Taeyeon. I’ll find out sooner or later.”

With that, Tiffany grabbed her purse and ran to the door.

“Oh, I’ll be back at around 3 in the afternoon”

Tiffany sprinted out the door like her life depended on it. After making sure she was gone, Taeyeon let out a loud sigh. Tiffany was this close in finding out Taeyeon had her lips title stripped from her long ago.

 

“Why that dramatic sigh?”

Taeyeon was startled by the sudden voice that came in her left ear. She turned around instantly and saw Jessica in a whole new outfit. An expensive whole new outfit.

“How long have you been standing there? And how did you get these new clothes?”

“Well I just came home literally a second ago. And Tiffany is outside pushing the elevator buttons like crazy right now by the way, haha. Also oh my god! Did you know all I had to do is touch clothing, and it would appear on my body right away?! Isn’t that like coolest thing ever?!”

Jessica from head to toe was decorated in designer products. Some weren’t even supposed to come out in stores yet. Taeyeon stared in awe.

“I guess that’s pretty cool.”

“Hey, where’s everyone?”

“Manager oppa said we could have the whole week off, so everyone went home to their families. Tiffany’s dad is sick so she’s flying back to L.A. tonight”

Jessica nodded as if she understood everything.

“So what I’m hearing is, we get this whole place to ourselves”

Jessica’s eyes glittered at the thought.

“I guess, but no crazy stunts. We may be alone but don't even think of trashing the place or something like that. When they come back, everyone will blame me like they did last time.”

Taeyeon crossed her arms and pouted thinking back when her members chased her with balloon hammers and couch cushions after Jessica messed with them.

“Haha, who said we were going to cause trouble?”

Jessica suddenly took a step closer to Taeyeon and wrapped her arms around the shorter girl, closing the gap between them.

“I was hoping we could spent some alone time together.”

Jessica whispered naughtily into Taeyeon’s ear, making her cheeks flush to crimson red. After a few seconds, Jessica’s loud laughing brought her back to reality.

“HAHAHA, I was just playing with you”

Jessica let go of Taeyeon’s small waist and took a step back to her original spot.

“Yah! Don't ever do that, or I will chop your arms off!”

Taeyeon took some couch cushions and threw them at her until she ran out of ammo.

“Ouch, ouch. OK, ok I’m sorry. Ouch, stop throwing stuff already!”

Jessica tried to dodge but Taeyeon was a really good aimer. She held her last stuff animal in her hand ready to launch. But in the end, Taeyeon let the animal fall back on the couch under Jessica’s pleading eyes.

“Don’t you ever do that again, or else next time it’ll be rocks”

Taeyeon might look small and easily bullied but when it counts, she can make you run back to your mommy crying.

Jessica held her hands up in a surrendering pose.

“Ok, I swear I won’t.”

“Good, now if you’ll excuse me, I have a book to finish”

Taeyeon went across the living room to fetch a thick paperback book. Jessica tilted her head a little to read the title.

“You still haven’t read the Hunger Games yet?”

“That’s none of your business, and as I recall it, you haven’t either”

“Well yeah, because I saw the movie.”

“Reading the book is so much better than watching the movie”

“How would you know? You didn’t even watch the movie, yet.”

“I would have, if someone had went if me. But apparently no one wanted to and I had to end up missing the damn movie!”

“Want me to spoil it for you?”

“Don't you dare Jung Jessica!”

“So in the end, Peta—mmf mmff!!”

Taeyeon acted fast and slammed her palm over Jessica’s running mouth. Jessica tried her best to peal the girl’s hand away from her face. When all else fails, Jessica opened slightly and Taeyeon’s small hand. This caused Taeyeon to jerk back immediately.

“Ew! Did you just me?!”

“Ew! Were you wearing hand cream?! Yuck it taste disgusting!”

“Well, Jessica, the last time I checked hand cream isn’t made for digesting.”

“And last time I checked, hands weren’t meant for slapping people in their mouths”

“I would have to, if you didn’t try to ruin the ending of one of my favorite books”

“Oh yeah, that reminds me. So in the end Katnis and—“

“YAH!!”

And that was how they spent half of their afternoon; with bitter, funny and sweet conversations every once in a while.