I'm Sorry

62 Days

Taeyeon had a two hour break before her next schedule with her two other members from their subunit. She really didn’t want to go home and but seeing she had no other place to crash, her driver drove her back to their dorms.

“Taeyeon!”

There was that voice she adored so much. Taeyeon never shared this with anybody but she secretly downloaded all of Jessica’s solo songs on her iPod.

“Why didn’t you answer my call this morning? You’re mean.” Jessica pouted in front of her.

“S-sorry I was…quite busy.” Surprisingly Jessica bought that. Anyone who could see would be able to tell Taeyeon was obviously lying. Maybe love really does make you blind.

“Aw that’s ok, don't over work yourself ok? Now, why are you back home so early? Don't you have a job to get to?”

“Gosh why are you asking so many questions? You’re so annoying! You’re making my head hurt!”

Taeyeon didn’t mean to say it. But it just somehow slipped out of . Jessica’s face showed that she was hurt, pretty deeply.

“Oh…”

“Sorry.” Short and simple.

“I-it’s alright. Guess I should really stop huh? Do you want to eat something?”

“No, I’m just going to mu room for a sec to rest. I have another schedule shortly afterwards.”

Taeyeon didn’t say another word and left for her bedroom. Jessica was left in the living room biting her lip to ignore the pain.

Guess she’ll have to eat the lunch she prepared for two alone now.

 

*

 

“Taengoo.”

“Huh?”

“What’s wrong with you? You’ve been spacing out for the past hour. You’re seriously hanging out with Jessica way too much.”

Jessica. The slight mention of the girl’s name silenced Taeyeon. And Tiffany noticed it too.

“Did I say something wrong?”

“No, no you didn’t Pany. Don't worry.” Taeyeon ruffled her hair in a cutely manner.

“Tell me what’s wrong. Come on, we’re best friends. Maybe I can help.”

Tiffany smiled, her usual Totoro smile.

“It’s nothing really…” But Tiffany didn’t stop there. She glared at her. Taeyeon knew this glare, it was when she really had enough and was running out of patience.

“Ok, ok I’ll tell you.”

Taeyeon gives in way too easily. She’s too soft for her own sake, many people acknowledge this fact. And many people learn to use it against her, Tiffany being one of them.

“It has something to do with Jessica doesn’t it?”

Taeyeon nodded sadly.

“Do you think she’s just using me…?”

Tiffany leaned back in her car seat by surprise. She opened her eyes widely.

“Why would you say that?”

“Well…”

Taeyeon didn’t hesitate to tell Tiffany about what Macy had said to her. She didn’t want to go through this alone, so why not share the problem with her best friend?

“Unbelievable! She said that?! What kind of rotten makeup artist says that?”

“I know this is really none of her business but…her theory do make sense.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes and placed both her hands on Taeyeon’s shoulders.

“Kim Taeyeon. Are you going to believe some random makeup artist, who apparently gossips for a living, or the girl you’re in love with? Are you really going to choose this Macy over Jessica?”

Taeyeon looked down, afraid to look her best friend in the eyes.

“Well when you say it that way…”

“We’ve known Jessica for over a decade. Ask yourself is she really the type of person to use other people for her own sake? And especially when that ‘other people’ is you.”

Taeyeon stayed silent.

“Taetae, sometimes you’re way too gullible for your own good. I don't think Jessica would have even tried this 62 days thing if she knew you didn’t want to. She would have respected your decision and just blame herself for not being careful enough to stay out of a situation like this.”

Now Taeyeon was feeling really guilty. She thought back to when they were at the house and how she treated the girl.

“Now…why would Macy say that to you? Does she know about your previous relationship or something…..”

Tiffany was talking to herself at this point, but Taeyeon heard her.

“Wait! Woah woah, ho-how did you know about…”

“Oh you mean when you secretly dated Jessica behind everyone’s backs back in 2008? Oh Yeah you were so noticeable.”

“But…I thought I was doing a pretty good job at hiding it.”

Tiffany laughed in her face. Not a nice laugh but a mean one.

“Gosh Taeyeon you’re like an elephant in a bookstore when it comes to keeping secrets. Besides I'm your best friend, did you really think I wouldn’t have figured it out?”

“How did you find out?!”

“Well it could be how Sica always treats you differently than the others, even Yoona who she adored so much.”

Yes, Jessica adored Yoona to a point where it was irritating. Even Taeyeon gets jealous sometimes when she saw how much affection she showed for the younger girl.

“…Or it could really just be the fact that I saw you guys making out in the practice room that one time.”

Tiffany looked up into the air and chuckled.

“Ah you kids were so adventurous with your hands and tongues.” Taeyeon blushed madly hearing that, thank goodness their maknae was asleep right now.

“Shut up, you ert! And we’re both older than you. What do you mean ‘kids’?!”

Tiffany didn’t answer and just stuck out her tongue at her, she had said enough. Cupid Hwang had done it again.

 

*

 

Thankfully, the others aren’t back yet. Taeyeon raced inside their dorm in hopes of finding Jessica.

“Wow, unnie must have been really tired. She pushed pass me back at the elevator.”

“Oh Seohyun she must have gotten ants in her pants. Haha.”

When she couldn’t find Jessica in the living room, she went to her own bedroom. Still no luck, she decided to try Sooyoung and Jessica’s room instead. And as if an angel answered her prayers, there Jessica was, lying on her own bed

“Sica!”

Taeyeon screamed as she jumped on top of the girl cheerfully.

“Oofh.”

“I missed you.” She said as she buried her face into the blondie’s neck.

Only to have her slightly pushed away as Jessica tried to sit up from her bed.

“Oh hi.” She gave her a small smile.

Usually, Jessica would have gone crazy at how Taeyeon was the one making the first move.

“I’m sorry for before…I-I was just being stupid.” Taeyeon stared at the ground.

“What do you mean?”

Taeyeon told her about the Macy story. The entire time Jessica was frowning.

“So you’re saying, the entire time you believed a cheap gossip instead of me?” she questioned flatly.

Taeyeon could only nod as a respond.

“Wow…” Jessica said under her breath. She didn’t say anything for a second, that was only making Taeyeon more nervous.

“Why couldn’t you have trusted me?” she finally opened .

The shorter girl didn’t answer, what could she say?

“Listen I’ve been thinking, maybe we’re just not meant for this.”

“…What?”

“Let’s just stop trying. It’s clearly not working.”

Thought she didn’t go into details, Taeyeon knew damn well what she was hinting at.

“What do you mean not working?! We’re making progress aren’t we?!”

Jessica looked up and stared into Taeyeon’s eyes.

“Maybe. But it just seems like with every step we take forward, we leap two more steps backwards. If this is what you call progress, maybe we should just give up.”

“Give up?! Jessica Jung do you know what you’re saying right now?”

Taeyeon was furious, everything that came out of was either shouted or screamed out.

 

*

 

“Unnie, is Taeyeon unnie ok? She keeps screaming.”

Tiffany scrunched her eyebrows.

“She’s fine Seohyun, probably just on the phone haha.”

Seohyun nodded her head and went back to preparing her instant noodles.

“Hey Hyunnie, can you please do me a favor and go buy me some curry sauce? It seems we’ve ran out and you know how I love my noodles with curry.”

Seohyun smiled and nodded. She took her purse and headed for the door.

“Bye unnie, be back in a jiffy.”

When she was gone, Tiffany sighed. She didn’t want to get their maknae involved in this, the whole situation was way too messy for anyone.

 

*

 

“Look, we’re not meant to be. I don't want to waste both our time with my silly problem.”

“Silly problem? This is a silly problem?! You’re dying for god’s sake!”

“Yeah well that’s my business. Not yours, at least not anymore. So hurray Kim Taeyeon, I'm finally setting you free. You don't have to deal with me anymore. You won't have to carry this burden with you from now on.”

Taeyeon’s heart fell hearing this. Burden? Was that what Jessica thought herself as in Taeyeon’s eyes?

“Please don't do this.” She requested with a shaking voice, it broke the younger girl’s heart seeing her leader at this stage.

“But I already am.” Jessica bent over to take her jacket from her bed. Before going out the door she turned back and said.

“A relationship requires trust and faith. You clearly don't have that me. We’re just not right for each other.”

“A-are you bre-breaking up with me…?”

“…We never started.”

“We’re soulmates.” She said with her back turned towards Jessica.

Jessica lightly chuckled.

“Not everyone gets the privilege to be with their soulmates. Good bye Taeyeon.”

“Where are you going?”

“Living my life to the fullest. I don't have much time, better make good use of it.” Jessica smiled.

As she reached for the doorknob, Jessica stopped when she felt a pair of arms surrounding her waist. She sighed.

“Please don't make this harder for me.”

“Then don't go! I promise I won't make things any harder for us from now on. Please…”

Jessica used all her might to turn around and peal her arms off of her.

“I'm sorry.” She planted a light kiss on Taeyeon’s nose.

“Oh, do me a favor. Look after my parents when I'm gone. Also Krystal, that girl is always getting herself into trouble. Tsk.”

Jessica smiled for one last time and left. Taeyeon could feel her body freezing up. She wanted to run after her, chase after her. But she knew it wouldn't change a thing, and besides she couldn’t even feel her legs at the moment. But when she heard the front door open and close, she collapsed on the floor. Tears were flowing down none stop.