A Visit for Home

62 Days

When Tiffany saw the front door open and slammed close with no one visible there, she knew something was wrong. She rushed to Taeyeon’s room and through the closed door, she could hear faint sobbing sound. Something was definitely wrong.

“Omo, Taeyeon!” she ran to the floor where her best friend was at.

“What happened?”

Taeyeon didn’t answer, she simply couldn’t. The poor girl was too busy choking on her tears.

“Please tell me. Taeyeon-ah. What happened?”

“S-she…she br-broke up with m-me. Jessica’s g-gone.” She managed to say between sobs.

“What do you mean?! How can she just do that?! Her life is on the line here!”

Taeyeon had to explain to her the whole story of what happened in her room two minutes ago. Along with a few slurred words because she was crying so hard but Tiffany figured it out one way or another.

“She sai-said we weren’t meant to be and eve-everything!”

Seeing this was more than enough for Tiffany. She couldn’t bear seeing her best friend so hurt, she wanted to help but knew there was nothing useful she could do.

“Oh Taeyeon...” Tiffany enveloped her fragile leader into a warm hug.

“Tippani…I screwed up.”

 

*

 

After Jessica had left her dorm and possible Taeyeon’s life, all she’s been doing for the past hour is wonder in the streets. At first she was excited and all. She thought about all the fun things she could do with no boundaries to stop her. But then after half an hour she got bored.

“Ugh, there’s nothing to do!!”

Just then she passed by a familiar neighborhood. And she saw a familiar house. Her house to be exact.  Without a hesitation, she went in. Right through the door, literally.

Inside wasn't very exciting. There was no one there, which was strange. Her parents and little sister lived with her.

 

“Where are they?”

“Mom? Dad? Krys—“

She stopped herself before she could finish her sister’s name. Oh right, no one could hear her. Except Taeyeon.

She proceeded to go upstairs.

“I should see my room before I go, haven’t been in there for a while.”

 

As she traveled up she hears a few sniffles. It was coming from her parents’ room. Being the nosy girl that she was she walked up to the door and through the little crack she saw her parents.

“So they are home after all.”

Getting a better look, she could see that her mom was holding one of their family portraits in hand. It broke her heart seeing how devastated her own mother and father was.

“This is all because of me…”

“Oh honey, stop crying. Everything will be ok.” Mr. Jung said trying to convince his wife, but to no avail in the end.

“It’s all my fault.” Both Jessica and her dad were shocked at Mrs. Jung’s sudden claim.

“What do you mea—“

“If only I had offered her to stay overnight. I should have done that! If only I had said it she wouldn’t have been on that highway. Ugh! Because of my stupidity it cost our daughter’s life!”

Mrs. Jung held her head with her hands and curled up in a ball on her bed.

“It’s not your fault.”

“Yeah tell her dad! Mom it’s not your fault. Why are you blaming yourself?!Stop!”

Jessica stood there screaming at her parents. What a waste of saliva, it’s not like any of them could hear her anyways.

 

“I’m home!”

The trio’s head perked up. That voice.

“Ah Krystal, your lunch is on in the kitchen.” Her dad informed.

But Krystal seemed to have ignored him when they could hear her footsteps coming up the stairs.

“Mom?”

The teenager quickly ran over to her weak mother’s side and held her hand.

“Mom, are you ok?”

“I’m…I’m fine Krystal.” She tried to smile, but Mrs. Jung was always as bad as an actress as Taeyeon. Maybe even worst, yikes.

“No, you’re not. Is this about unnie again?”

Jessica’s face scrunched as she saw her mother slowly nod.

 

*

 

“Tiffany unnie! I'm home! The store’s curry was half off, isn’t that great?”

Seohyun ran into the kitchen only to find a cup of soggy noodles. She placed the bag of curry sauce down on the counter and walked away.

“Unnie?”

Then she heard sounds coming from Taeyeon’s room. She couldn’t really make out what sounds they were or where they were coming from.

“Unnie?” she called out again as she walked in Taeyeon’s room through the small open crack.

The young girl was shocked to see her oh so strong leader weeping miserably in Tiffany’s arms.

“Omo! Unnie, what happen?!”

“Oh Seohyun. Taeyeon was just um…she finished watching The Notebook.”

Their maknae frowned.

“The Notebook?”

“Yeah! You know, the movie.”

“I know what The Notebook is. Taeyeon unnie usually never watches those types of movies.”

“Uh…yes. You see, I forced her to watch it with me. Haha you know me and my American classic romantic films.”

Yes that was quite convincing, Tiffany always loved those films. Though she’d always end up curling up in her bed crying at the end credits.

“Oh I see. Gee was the movie that much of a tear jerker? If I didn’t know any better I’d think you had just been dumped, ahaha.”

Seohyun joked. But no one was laughing, instead Taeyeon’s cries grew louder.

“Unnie, did I say something wrong?! Why are you crying again?!”

“Seohyun she’s ok. Taeyeon here just needs some time alone, why don't you go finish your noodles?”

The tallest girl in the room nodded and squirmed out of the room.

“I’ll leave you alone to cool off too, okay?”

Tiffany was about to leave when Taeyeon held her back again.

“No! Tiffany.”

“Yeah?”

“We have to find her…”

“What?”

“We need to find her.”

 

*

 

“Bingo!”

“Detective Park, are you slacking off and playing games on your phone again?”

The lady in her trench coat happily jumped up and she grinning from ear to ear.

 

“I figure it out!”

“What?”

“Ugh I just knew something wasn't making sense.”

“What sense?! What are you talking about?!”

“I can’t believe I missed this! How could I have over looked it?!”

“Missed what?!”

Detective Park ran to her partner and held his shoulders in place.

 

“Officer Lee, where’s Mark?”

“I don't know it’s his day off, poor guy has been working his of for this case.”

“Well get him.”

“Aw it’s the guy’s first day off in months, plus he’s so young…”

“Officer Lee, I figured out who the real culprit is.”

Officer Lee was cut off but he didn’t look like he minded.

“I’ll go get Mark right away.”

 

*

 

Jessica off to wondering the streets once again. She couldn’t stand being in that house for another second, it hurts too much. The guilt of affecting her family like this was hitting her like a tsunami. Wave after wave.

“I’m hungry…”

She didn’t know where she was really, it’s not like she actually cared anyways. She was just looking for some fresh air.

 

*

 

“Yah! Taeyeon wait up!”

A red head in the streets tried her best to keep up with her shorter friend and at the same time trying not to get noticed by the people around her.

“Sh! Don't say my name out loud like that! People might notice.”

“Oh please, do you know how many people there are that’s named Taeyeon?”

“No, but still. That’s going to bring lots of unwanted attention.”

“Geez.”

 

Taeyeon wasn't really paying much attention to her at this point. She was too busy scanning the streets and trying to cover as much ground as she could in the shortest time.

“Hey how am I supposed to see her?”

Tiffany asked, she whispered this time.

“Oh yeah…” it seems like Taeyeon has already forgotten about that fact.

“I can’t believe I forgot that part. Ok, how about you go back to the dorms and I’ll look for her alone.”

“And leave you alone at this state? No.”

“Come on Pany, it won't take long. Don't worry, I’ll be fine.”

Tiffany didn’t look convinced but it was really cold out and it’s starting to get dark.

 

“Oh alright, but be careful and be back before midnight.”

“Aye aye captain.”

The red head quickly ran back towards the way her and Taeyeon came from. By herself, Taeyeon kept looking.

 

*

 

A blondie with just a grey sweater was wondering aimlessly on the streets of whatever. She didn’t even look at the street signs. For all she knew, she could have crossed the border to the north.

Everything was boring her, well that is when someone caught her eye. A short girl with light brown hair looking frantically for something.

 

“…Taeyeon?”

Even though she had her hoodie over her head and her face down, Jessica could recognize her like that.

“What’s she doing here?”

Wanting to leave before Taeyeon spots her, Jessica slowly retreated behind a large sign. Well she wanted to leave but she just couldn’t take her eyes off her. The way she seems to nervous and determined to find whatever or whoever she was looking for was somehow…addicting for Jessica.

 

“I should really leave no—“

She couldn’t finish her sentence as she saw Taeyeon cross the street with her eyes still wondering everywhere else but the road. Just then an incoming minivan was heading her way. Jessica watched in horror as the vehicle came closer and closer to Taeyeon’s little body and she still wasn't paying attention enough to realize it.

Acting fast, she leaped huge steps and ran as fast as she could to her. Keep in mind Jessica isn’t much of a fast runner, heck she wasn't a runner to begin with.

The minivan had realized there was a girl in front of his car and kept pushing his honker to get her out of the way.

When Taeyeon finally realized what situation she was in, she stared in terror and fear. Her legs felt like jelly and her mind just wasn't working right.

In a not so swift motion, she was pushed to the sidewalk by someone. Still in the state of shock she witness as the person that pushed her away was in her old spot. The minivan ran right through her.

Taeyeon gasped. As the minivan driver drove away he shouted out some nasty curse words stating how she should have been careful.

The small girl sighed in relief when she saw the person that had saved her was still alright and standing. She had went right through the middle of the car.

But she did feel pretty frightened when she saw the familiar figure stomp towards her with an angry face.

Gulp.

 

“Just WHAT were you think?!” she held onto Taeyeon’s collars.

“Are you stupid?! Do you want to die or something?!”

The entire time Taeyeon was being scolded by the younger girl, she did not say a word. She couldn’t believe it, the girl she was desperately trying to find for possibly hours was right in front of her. It’s pretty small world.

“Do you want to end up like me?! In a hospital bed with wires attached to you! Huh?! Well do ya’?!”

She blinked. But not once did her eyes leave Jessica’s face.

“Yah! Are you even listening you freaking idiot, you—“

Jessica stopped talking when her leader suddenly enveloped her into a bear hug. Thank goodness there weren’t much people around.

“I-I’m sorry. Please do-don't leave…”

Taeyeon could feel Jessica sigh heavily in her arms.

 

“Please don't leave me again.”

She was crying, Taeyeon never cries. Jessica didn’t answer and instead tried her best to wiggle out of the hug. Taeyeon was being childlike and tried hold on to her even harder but Jessica was stronger than her.

“Just shut up and hop on.”

Jessica turned her back to her signalling her to get on for a piggy back ride. Taeyeon didn’t hesitate to reattach herself with the girl.

“Wher-where are we going?”

“Home obviously.”

“Are you…going to stay?”

“Well where else can I go?”

Taeyeon smiled. Bigger than ever. If this was Jessica’s way of saying ‘yes’ then so be it. She knew the girl way too much and could easily see through her sarcasm. She could tell Jessica was definetly staying for good this time