Hair colors

62 Days

Taeyeon huffed and puffed into her room. She didn’t know why but she felt embarrassed, disappointed and hurt all at once. It was raining outside, really hard. There could be thunder and lightning heard occasionally. When Taeyeon tried to turn on the lights, none of them worked. She stood there and furiously flicked the light switches up and down, but not once did a light bulb turn on. The bad weather and non-working lights only pissed her off even more.

“Another thing to make my day even worse. Ugh!”

She kicked the side of her bed with her slippers only to have the foot aching in pain afterwards.

“Ow! This is not my day.”

She sat on her bed in the dark and tried to massage her little toes hoping to ease the pain. The only form of light given right now was the street lights peeking through her window. Thanks to the street light, she easily spotted her ‘three peas in a pod’ stuffed toy. Taeyeon angrily reaches over and stares at it like it’s done something wrong.

“This is all your fault! Why did you have to be so rude and blunt?!”

Taeyeon shouted at the toy like she was expecting anything back.

“Huh?! Answer me!!”

When the toy said nothing back again but just smile like it always did, Taeyeon threw it across the room. It hit the wall and fell on the floor. Realizing what she had done, Taeyeon ran to the toy and picked it up again.

“What was I thinking, it’s not like I can be mad at you for being honest…”

Just then she heard noises coming from the living room. It sounded like something was knocked over. Terrified, Taeyeon quickly grabbed a flashlight in her drawer and slowly crept outside.

“Who’s there?!”

No answer.

But that only scared Taeyeon even more. She aimed the flashlight everywhere hoping to find whoever was in her apartment.

Omo, what if it’s a burglar or something?! There’s no one else here but me, oh ottoke?! I’m all alone, who if he’s a too?! Oh my god, where is Jessica when you need her?!

Taeyeon walked towards the place where she thought the sounds were coming from.

*clink clonk

Taeyeon quickly turned her head towards the kitchen. It sounded like a cooking pan had just fallen.

There it is again! Umma…

“Who is that?!”

Still no answer.

“Whoever you are...you better leave! I..I know taekwondo!”

Taeyeon was getting impatient. Just then she felt something pass by her lower leg.

“Ahhhhhhhh!”

She immediately backed away. Something small had just passed by her feet. Something hairy—no! Fury, something small and had fur all over.

“Woof, woof.”

“What the heck?”

She shined her flashlight a few steps ahead of her. It was a puppy…a black furred little puppy. The exact puppy she couldn’t win but wanted real bad at the carnival. She bent down and saw that there was a little blue post-it stuck to its side.

Please don't be mad anymore :(

Who—

“Surprise!”

A face popped up in front of the light coming from Taeyeon’s flashlight. Making whoever was there look extra creepy.

“AHHHHHHHH!”

Teayeon’s piercing scream filled the room and she dropped the metal flashlight at her intruder’s head.

“Owwwww!”

“Who are you?!”

Taeyeon picked up whatever that was next to her and was about to charge.

“Relax! It’s me, Jessica! Ow…”

Taeyeon grabbed the flash light as fast as she could and aimed it at Jessica’s face. She was rubbing her head and it looked like she was in pain.

“Jessica?!”

“Yes! Who else would I be? Everyone else is on vacation, remember?”

“What are you doing? You could have told me you came home!”   

“Well yeah but I was…trying to apologize to you and I thought this was the best way…”

All the pieces of the puzzle were coming together for Taeyeon now. The puppy, the note, everything, it was all part of Jessica’s plan to apologize for what happened earlier. Truly, Taeyeon was kind of happy she went through all this trouble to say sorry.

“Apologize for what?”

“For you know…calling you ugly. I really didn’t mean it I swear, you know how sometimes I space out and say stupid things.”

“Really, really stupid things.”

“I’ll let that one slide just this time. Yeah, I want to apologize, the truth is I really do think you’re pretty.”

Hearing Jessica’s compliment somehow eased her mind. It helped her forget how awful today was for her.

“So I got you the puppy. It seemed like you really wanted it when we were at the carnival.”

Jessica scratched the back of her head while looking down at the floor, not daring to look her in the eyes. Unknown to Jessica, Taeyeon had picked up the dog and was admiring it’s beauty.

“It’s so adorable! How did you get it?”

Jessica looked up, glad that Taeyeon liked her present.

“Well…I just, took it when the man wasn’t looking.”

“What?! You basically stole it!”

“I wouldn’t say steal…

Jessica was cut off when Taeyeon made her way to the door.

“Hey, where are you going?”

“Where do you think? To return it, obviously.”

Jessica tugged on to Taeyeon’s arm.

“But I paid for him already, I dropped a stack of cash on his counter when he turned around.”

Taeyeon stopped, she turned to Jessica and eyed her suspiciously.

“Really? How much.”

Jessica grinned.

“More than enough.”

 

-The carnival-

“…200, 300, 320, 360, 460. 460,000 won! Omo! I don't even care that I lost the black puppy anymore! This makes up my lost.”

The old man said as he rubbed the stack of money against his right cheek. It was almost closing time, and when the old man looked back he found out one of his grand prizes; the black puppy, was missing.  He was furious but then when he turned back around, he was greeted by a huge stack of bills. He couldn’t even remember what the puppy’s name was anymore.

“Yoobum-ah, it looks like that crazy lady is gone, finally we can have some fu—”

“Oppa! What is that man doing?!”

“I don't know, I think he’s…showing affection to his money?”

“This place is full of weird people. Let’s leave this town for good.”

“Right behind you! Come on oppa, let’s go!”

 

-Soshi’s apartment-

“Are you sure you paid him?”

“Positive! Now, will you turn on the lights already, it’s really dark.”

Jessica walked over to the light switches and tried to flick it on, but to no avail.

“Try all you want. I’ve been trying to get the lights on since forever. Looks like the rain screwed up the powers.”

“Ugh, just great, a blackout. Hey, since you get a new puppy what are you going to name him?”

Taeyeon looked at the puppy, even though there was barely any light, she could still see it’s huge dark eye staring right back at her.

“Why don’t we call it… Snowball?”

“Bwoh? Haha, it’s got black fur naming it Snowball is just weird.”

“Why? I think it’s cute.”

“Nope, Taeyeon-ah you’re getting weirder and weirder by the day.”

“Yah Jessica Jung!”

Jessica slides away just before Taeyeon could hit her arm and starting cracking up. Soon Taeyeon joined her, they both looked like idiots.

“Ah I got it! Why not Laughing? Huh? That’s a nice name for a dog.”

“And you said Snowball was bad.”

“What the? Yah, Laughing isn’t that bad.”

“Yeah it is, try thinking of actual names.”

“Aish………. hey why not Ginger?”

“Huh? Why Ginger?”

“Well I was looking at your hair and if you mix mine and your current hair color together, you’d get ginger. How about it?”

Taeyeon looked down at her hair and back to Jessica’s hair, if the two colors were ever mixed, they would end up with ginger hair dye. Smiling with satisfaction, she nodded.

“Ginger it is. How do you like that little guy?”

Taeyeon starred at the little puppy in her hands. As if it understood her, it barked happily and wagged its tail.

 

“Look, he likes it!”