She's woken!

62 Days

 

A tired Taeyeon with obvious eye bags opened the door to her shared dorm. It’s still morning and she could see some of the girls still having breakfast.

As usual it was loud in their apartment, with some of her members fighting over the remote, debating about what to eat and all that stuff.

            “Hey unnie you’re back.” Seohyun greeted munching on her toast.

            “Kim Taeyeon! Where have you been?! We’ve been looking all over for you.” Tiffany in the background scolded her.

But for some reason Taeyeon didn’t really respond to any of them. She just sort of shrugged her shoulders and headed back for her room.

Tiffany immediately sensed something was deeply wrong and something told her it had to do with Jessica. Speaking of that brat, where was she? She’s usually always near or behind Taeyeon.

Through all the noise, suddenly the phone rang. 

            “Yoona! Go get the phone!”

            “You get the phone! I'm eating, you’re closer anyways!”

            “I’m busy!”

            “Will someone just get the phone?!” Sooyoung interrupted their debate.

            “Alright, geez…” Yoona put down her spoon and grumbled to herself on her way to their home telephone.

            “Hello?”         

Yoona’s eyes wondered around the room as she listened to the person on the other line speaking. When suddenly her eyes popped out. Her spine straightened and hung open.

            “What happened?” Hyoyeon asked.

            “Oh my god, thank you so much. We’ll be right there.” She spoke into the phone keeping a straight face and hung up.

            “Yah, something wrong?”

For a moment Yoona didn’t say anything.

            “Hey we’re asking—“

            “Sica unnie woke up…” Now this, this was enough to get everyone’s attention.

They were all frozen for the first few seconds but they all ran up to Yoona after with all sorts of questions.

            “She woke up?!”

            “Was that the hospital?!”

            “Jessica’s all better now?!”

All but one girl who stayed behind. Taeyeon remained at her spot, thinking. Her eyes amplified. Yes, all the pieces were coming together now. She knew Jessica would never abandon her.

As quick as the speed of light, she ran for her room.

            “Yah Taeyeon where are you going?”

            “To get my coat! What else? I'm going to the freaking hospital! Ahaha!”

Pretty soon all the girls followed her and were ready in a bit. Tiffany, in the middle of the chaos, smiled to herself.

 

*

 

The van got there faster than ever. Even the driver was excited that Jessica has finally woke up. She was one of the nicest employers he had.

Thankfully much like last time, there were no reporters. SNSD rushed in the building almost racing each other to Jessica’s room. They all smiled and chatted about what a miracle this was. Yoona showing the most glee about Jessica’s wonderful recovery.

When they walked in the room it seemed her parents and Krystal had already arrived. Really the first thing everyone notices is Jessica. Sitting up on her bed! Wide awaken!

Yoona and Taeyeon almost ran for Jessica. With the others right on their tail.

            “Unnie!” Yoona merely shouting in excitement.

            “Jessica….” Taeyeon said looking at her lovingly. But her heart ached as Jessica looked away and turned her head imminently.

The weak Jessica bit her lip shutting her eyes like she was ashamed to be in front of them.

And that was when the girls realized her family didn’t seem as happy as they’d expect. In fact they were quite gloomy. Seeing this the SNSD’s smiles slowly lowered.

            “Wha-what’s wrong?” Yoona asked almost scared to hear to answer. No please no more bad news. Things were just starting to pick up.

Taeyeon looked into Jessica’s eyes only to have her doge her face from everyone.

            “She…can't talk.” Krystal said in a low voice in the back.

            “What do you mean she can't talk? Ha…of course she can, right Sica?” Hyoyeon said half joking half scared.

            “Jessi…”

When Tiffany reached for Jessica’s hand on the bed she pulled away almost shamefully.

            “What happened…?” Taeyeon whispered in a soft voice in the back.

            “We don't know. When we first came she seemed like she was trying to greet us but…but..,” Jessica’s dad tried to continue without crying, “She couldn’t. The doctors ran some tests and we’re waiting for the results.”

Taeyeon’s eyes never left Jessica. She feels horrible but she knows Jessica feels ten times worst. Her heart broke when she saw Jessica’s hand clenching the bed sheets until her knuckles turned white, but still her face showed no emotions.

Taeyeon hated this. She hated having Jessica suffer and she couldn’t do anything to help.

Not long after, a man in a white coat came in with a clipboard.

“Alright Jessic—oh! I didn’t know there’d be so much people. Sorry girls as always there shouldn’t be this much people in the room. She just woke up, Jessica needs her space.”

“Yeah we’ll go right after. Just tell us the results.”

“Ok then. Jessica,” the doctor said looking at the pale girl on her bed, “everything seems

fine. You seem to be healing pretty fast and most of your scars will probably go away after a long while.”

“Then why can't she talk?!” Krystal and Jessica’s mom asked, almost shouting.

“We’re not really sure. But it could a mental state.”

“What are you trying to say? That my daughter is imagining the whole thing?!”

“No,no! Mrs. Jung by all means, no. But her brain might be stuck on the fact that her

vocals will never heal. There’s been many cases where a patients’ mind thinks they’re diagnosed but really they’re not.”

            “What? That’s ridiculous. Why would that be?”

            “Well Mr. Jung, you saw the huge cut she had on her neck. Had it been just a few inches deeper and her whole neck would have snapped. I warned you guys to not get your hopes up in the beginning.”

Jessica could feel her tears coming. Oh god, she was trying her best not to let them spill in front of her family and members. The last thing anyone needs right now is for more things to worry about.

            “I’m sorry but you have to understand. In the beginning you were informed that it looked like her would be mute for the rest of her life.”

Krystal silently wiped away her tears with her sleeve.

            “I don't get it. The nurses said she whispered something when she just woke up. Why can't she say anything now?”

Everyone turned to the doctor for the answer. Maybe there’s still hope. The doctor sighed and shrugged his shoulders.

            “I don't know. Maybe her mental instincts haven’t kicked yet at that point. Jessica is so convinced that she’d go mute it only took a matter of minutes for her mind’s beliefs to influence her body.”

            “Where would she even get that idea?!”

            “She could have possibly heard us talking about her condition while she was in her coma.”

Taeyeon remembered. A few days after her crash, she found Jessica crying on the rooftop. She remembered how devastated Jessica was when she found out she might never be able to sing again.

It was probably at that moment that she started thinking even if she does make it alive, she’d loose her voice.

            “Isn’t there anything you can do?!”

            “I can send her to speech therapy but I wouldn’t get my hopes too high if I were you. I sorry, I have to go.”

The doctor bowed his head a little and excused himself. Jessica’s father turned to her immediately and held her shoulder.

            “Don't worry sweetie. That doctor doesn’t know what he’s talking about. We’ll send you abroad to the best doctors money can buy.” He said with a smile. But everyone knew it was fake. He was trying just as hard as the others to hide he’s really breaking down on the inside.

            “Yeah it’s just your mind playing tricks on you. We’ll have you healed in no time.”

But Jessica seemed to have already lost interest. Her eyes were as dead as her singing career.

 

*

 

A week has gone by. A week of crying silently at night and speech therapy. Jessica wasn't showing much progress but she had learned to deal with it better now.

Every single night Jessica who scold herself in her mind trying to reconvince herself that she wasn't mute. The doctor did say it was just a mental thing so it should be easy. Or so she thought, the brain was a lot more powerful and dominant than she had thought.

News had got out that Jessica had recovered and it landed on the headlines of every magazine and newspaper in the country. And let’s not forget about those online articles.

Loads of her fans sent gifts and get well soon baskets every day. But Jessica never opened them. It was nice seeing them all piled up at the corner of her hospital room. The poor girl was afraid they’d stop coming one day, when everyone finds out about her disability.

She was petrified that her fans might abandon her. So if she opens them now there won't be anything left after her fans stop supporting her.

            “Hey!” A lovely voice greeted her. Taeyeon popped out from behind the door.

The smile on her face was one of the things Jessica looked forward to the most every day. But she never told her. Mostly because she couldn’t but also because she had basically shut herself off to anyone who dared come close to her.

            “Guess what? The nurses said I can take you out for a walk today. Yay!”

Jessica didn’t respond. Taeyeon came every day and tried having chats with her but failed every time. Still it didn’t stop her from trying.

Taeyeon grabbed a wheelchair and prepared it for Jessica. Her legs were totally fine but surviving a car crash and cheating death can leave your body a bit sore.

 

*

 

It took a lot of convincing to get Jessica out of her room. Taeyeon had to particularly drag her out.

Now they were out in the big wide yard sniffing fresh air with a few other patients.

            “Ah, isn’t this great?” Taeyeon said as she pushed Jessica around. But Jessica didn’t respond, she just wanted to go back to her room.

It didn’t take long for Taeyeon to spot an ice cream truck. Oh how she adored ice cream.

            “Hey Jessica wait here. I'm going to get us both a treat.”

Jessica scoffed in her mind. Like she would want ice cream at the moment.

Jessica must have dozed off for a bit because the next thing she knew a delivery truck was speeding around the streets way past the speed limit. And that was when she noticed Taeyeon was too busy digging through her purse for change that she didn’t noticed the vehicle. The truck was hurling straight at her.

She tried to run to her but her legs were too weak. Jessica started panicking her mind was all over the place. She wanted to warn her, but her voice wouldn’t come out no matter how hard she tried.

            “TAEYEON!”

And that’s when it happened. A boy with bright blonde hair pulled her off the street saving her life. Taeyeon was in total shock, she was still trying to figure out what just happened?

She turned around to see her savior and it turned out to be none other than G-dragon. Jessica’s good mate, he must be visiting her.

Both of them huffed and puffed from the incident. The truck crashed into a pole almost half a block away.

            “Phew…thanks for calling me and pushing me out of the way.”

             “What...” he paused to take a breath, “I didn’t call you.”

            “Then who did…”

            “Are you stupid?! That was the second time you almost got ran over! What’s wrong with you?!”

Both of them turn their heads to a fuming Jessica furiously rolling her wheelchair across the street to them.

             “Do you not pay attention to anything?! You could have died right there!”

GD and Taeyeon were too stunned to say anything and had their mouths hanging down.

             “What?” Jessica asked annoyingly.

             “You…you’re, YOU’RE TALKING!” Taeyeon pointed her finger.

Jessica gasped and covered . Indeed she had just spoken. Words just came out of .

            “Oh my god…” she missed hearing her own voice. Oh how she thought she’d never hear it again. Her sweet voice.

Taeyeon couldn’t hide her smile and nearly jumped on top of Jessica hugging her. GD smile in the back.

A fear tears may have been shred and that was ok. Everything was ok once again.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: ha you guys didnt think i'd let her go mute now did you? this is my late april fools gift to you all.

i havent updated for so long i hope you guys havent forgot me and my stories. im planning to wrap this story up and i'll be ending it with one more chapter. thanks for reading