Miracle

62 Days

SNSD was told by upper management to go back to their dorms and rest after everything that was happening. Taeyeon has been searching for Jessica the entire day, still no signs of the girl. She’s gone from the SM building all the way to Jessica’s favorite café. All this traveling was tiring her out. She decided to head home and hopes Jessica would show up.

Tiffany had called and reported Jessica’s current status to her. She didn’t take the news very well but she managed to stay calm throughout the entire phone call. Right now she just wanted to go to her usual spot and relax there.

Taeyeon would always go to the rooftop in the building they lived in whenever really bad drama breaks out. Or whenever she felt trapped and didn’t know what to do. The fresh air and lack of people calms her down.

When she opened the doors to the rooftop she was surprised to see that she wasn’t alone. There was a girl with dirty blonde hair sitting by the corner and hugging her knees while burying her face in it. Her shoulders were shaking and low sobbing sounds were coming from her. Taeyeon knew right away who this stranger was.

“J…Jessica?”

Upon hearing her own name, the girl looked up. Now that Taeyeon has confirmed the girl was really Jessica, she ran over and caught a grip of her shoulders.

“Oh my god! Where have you been Jung Jessica?! Did it ever cross your mind that you can't just wonder off like that without letting people know?! What’s worse is that you didn’t show up the entire day! Don't you ever try and run off like that!”

Taeyeon scolded her like a mother would and released her grip on the girl. Seeing that there were already tears b from the corner of her eyes, she immediately stopped all her bickering.

“What h-happened?”

Taeyeon was afraid to ask. She couldn’t take anymore new bad news.

“I found out…”

“W-What?”

“It’s all over the media. It’s everywhere, it’s like people are trying to shove it in my face”

“Don't be silly Jessica. They’re not trying to do that”

“It’s like the soon-to-be reality that I can't escape from.”

Taeyeon, for the first time in years, pulled Jessica in for a hug. Jessica’s sobs soon died down and her tears dried up.

“What if I can't ever sing again?”

“Don't say that. Everything’s going to be ok.”

“Or maybe worst, I’ll be mute my entire life”

“Yah, are you even listening to me?”

“Then I’ll have to communicate through sign language for the rest of my life”

“Jung Jessica listen to me! Miracles happen!”

“Not to people like me”

“What do you mean not to people like you?! Sometimes you have to believe in yourself. Remember what they told Kyuhyun oppa when he had his car accident? They told everyone around him to prepare themselves because he could die. But then a miracle happened and he woke up. After that they told him he might not be able to sing again. But look at him now, he’s back and better than ever. That’s another miracle right there!”

Jessica chuckles bitterly after hearing Taeyeon’s story.

“Miracles don't happen to everyone, Taeyeon”

Taeyeon scoffed in disbelief at Jessica’s stubbornness.

“According to that TOP guy, you should be dead by now. But he grabbed your soul before you could be registered by the ‘big guy.’ If you don't count that as a miracle I don't know what is.”

Jessica stayed quiet and hugged her knees again. She was in no mood to argue with this midget.

“…..I want to see it”

“See what?”

“My body. I want to see how it’s doing at the hospital.”

“If I take you there, will you please stop being so negative?”

“…maybe…”

“Well then what are you waiting for? GO GO GO!!”

 

*

 

After Taeyeon snuck out with her car, Jessica and her were finally in front of the hospital.

“I haven’t been here for a long time.”

“Let’s hope we never have to come back here again. This place gives me the creeps”

Taeyeon had finally found a parking spot. Before she got out, she made sure no paparazzi were anywhere to be found. But as expected, they were a huge crowd of them surrounding the hospital front doors.

“Aish, now how are we going to get in?”

“Can't you just do that thing you do and make me invisible as well?”

“I don't think it works like that Taeyeon”

“….crap”

Not far away, a nurse was coming out of the back door when she heard SNSD’s Taeyeon talking to herself.

“Omo, Taeyeon-shi?!”

Surprised, Taeyeon turned around and saw a nurse, maybe in her early 30s, starring at her with shimmering eyes.

“It is you! Can I please have an autograph?!”

“I'm sorry, I'm a little busy right…..”

Seeing this was the perfect chance for her and Jessica to enter the hospital without anyone knowing, an imaginary light bulb lit up above Taeyeon’s head.

“Why of course, but first I need a favor.”

“Of course! What is it?”

“We—I need to get into the hospital, but there are way too many reporters blocking my way. And the last thing I need is dealing with them right now. So can you please let me in the back door?”

“I don't know…the back door is restricted for employees only…”

“But you said you’d do me a favor. And my friend is in there still unstable. I just want to see her.”

Taeyeon tried to sound extra devastated to win some pity points from the woman. Of course, who could stand against her puppy dog eyes.

“Oh all right…. But don't tell anyone. Or I’ll get fired”

Taeyeon smiled with satisfaction.

“I won’t tell a soul”

The nurse took the I.D. hanging around her neck and flashed it to the small black device stuck on the wall. With a low ‘beep’ sound, the door opened again.

“Thanks, so much. Oh and…”

Taeyeon dug into her purse and pulled out two tickets.

“They’re for our next show. I can't take a picture with you now, but I hope this can be a good substitute.”

Taeyeon signaled for Jessica to hurry up and follow her before going in. The nurse was left, stunned that opening a simple door could score her two tickets for a SNSD concert.

“DAEBAK!!”

 

 

*

 

 

Inside the hospital, Jessica and Taeyeon struggled to find Room 405.

“You know, that was pretty impressive back there.”

“What was?”

“Your acting skills. You made it look like you were dying to see me”

Taeyeon stayed mum. She didn’t know what Jessica meant by “acting.” Knowing that Taeyeon didn’t get what she meant, Jessica bothered to explain further.

“Oh come on Taeyeon, we all know you don't like me as much as compared to other people. That’s why we don't even talk at all anymore. If you weren’t the only one that could see me, you probably wouldn’t even have batted an eyelash at me.”

Deep down, and she doesn’t know why, Taeyeon was hurt by Jessica’s blunt words. What she had just said wasn’t entirely true…

But whatever, Taeyeon brushed it off and didn’t say anything back. Instead they focused on trying to find Jessica’s room.

 

Room 401….403….405.

This was it, the two security guards were still there in case paparazzi tried to sneak in. When they saw Taeyeon approaching, they quickly made way for her to go through.

Taeyeon hesitated at first but firmly gripped the doorknob and went in. The sight wasn’t pretty, in fact it was heart breaking. Both Jessica and Taeyeon froze at seeing Jessica’s lifeless body lying on the hospital bed barely breathing.

Jessica slowly went up to her body and stared at herself for a while. Everything was still strange to her, just days ago, she could only see herself in this view in front of a mirror. But now it felt like they were two different people.

Taeyeon on the other hand was trying to hold back her tears. Seeing the damage the mysterious driver had caused was petrifying.

Jessica reached her hand out and tried to her own cheek. But her hand had slid through the body’s face like it did before Jessica knew how to control her ability. At first she thought she just wasn’t concentrating enough, but after several tries her hand still could not touch her own body at all.

Frustration, anger and confusion all rushed through Jessica at once. She couldn’t take it anymore. Everything was so messed up.

Jessica felt her knees growing week, they couldn’t support her. She fell, keeling in front of her body. As if on cue, Taeyeon came and hugged her again.

“Why me? Out of everyone in the world…why did I have to go through all this sh*t?!”

Jessica was starting to choke on her words. Tears were coming and this time Jessica didn’t even try to hold them back. She just didn’t have the strength anymore.

“I can…I can touch everything else. But not my own god dam body!"

"...Jessica."

"It's not fair! It's mine. This body is mine! Why?!"

"This makes me feel even more distance from it.”

Jessica let out a bitter chuckle before continuing.

 

“My days are numbered Taeyeon-ah”