My Toothbrush!

62 Days

 

The Soshi gang rushed to the police station as fast as they could through the hectic traffic. You’d think the streets would be less busy during midnight.

 

“Ah, you girls are here.”

“Detective where is he?”

“Come with me.”

The buffy cop pointed with his shoulder to the direction he was leading them towards.

 

“Her parents and little sister are already here by the way.”

Taeyeon stayed a step behind them with Jessica, who didn’t say a word the entire car ride. The detective brought them to a hallway where they met up with Krystal, Mr. and Mrs. Jung.

Jessica felt her heart fall when she saw the horrible eye bags under her parents’ eyes. They were so saggy and dark, and she was pretty sure she was the reason they’re like this. The only reason Krystal’s were less visible is because she covered them with makeup. Even then the outlines were still quite visible.

 

“Please follow me.”

He led them into a small room with a huge glass window in the wall. Much like Jessica’s hospital room.

 

“It’s a one-way mirror. We can see them but they can’t see or hear us.”

Through the mirror were two other cops and a rugged man in handcuffs. They seemed to be questioning him.

 

“I-is he the poor excuse of a man, who…who is responsible for all this?!”

Mrs. Jung asked in a stern but shaky voice. The man nodded his head.

 

“At least that’s who he claims to be. “

The detective reached over to the controls by the glass and flicked a switch. Suddenly there was audio coming from the speakers.

 

“Yes, I ran her over.”

Everyone in the room except for the cop who kept a calm face. He sees people like him for a living.

 

“It was all me. Arrest me.”

“Why would you confess now? Over two weeks after the incident? You could have gotten away with it.” The female detective in the room asked him as she jotted down notes.

The man smirked.

 

“Because I wanted to be famous. I wanted everyone to know I ran over their beloved nation’s girl group. I wanted them to fear me.”

He said through gritted teeth and a crooked smile. Everyone looked at them in disgust, even the three cops.

Jessica stood in the back of the room, biting her lip. It frightened her that man with such a messed up mind was the reason she almost died.

It’s not every day you get to meet your murderer.

Taeyeon stepped back and rubbed her arm trying to calm her down.

 

“Ugh, you son of a b*tch!”

Jessica and Krystal’s father stormed at the glass and pounded his fist at it. Everyone was shocked, he was usually so calm and collected. Guess people react differently when faced with the murderer of their daughter.

 

“Mr. Jung please. This is a police station.”

The three people in the other room looked at the glass weirdly. They must have heard the loud impact. The lady police officer spoke into her walkie talkie.

 

“Officer Lee, what’s going on in there?”

“Nothing, Officer Park. Everything’s under control.”

The detective responded back into his own walkie talkie. Officer Park kept going on with the questions.

“Were you alone that night? Or was there a third party?”

“I was by myself.”

“We found multiple beer cans in the front seat. Were you drinking?”

The man nodded. As if he knew there was someone behind the window, he picked up his head and waved with a creepy smile.

This sent shivers down the girl’s backs. How could someone be so obnoxious when confessing to a murder?

 

“I was drunk, I didn’t know what I was doing. It wasn't the next day had I known what I had done. Ha, it was all over the news.”

“Are you sure you want to be doing this? If Jessica ends up losing her life, you could be trialed for second degree murder. And on top of that, drinking and driving. You’d be locked away for life.”

He scrunched his chin and nodded again. Krystal stared at the man with all her might.

 

“Can’t they just put the retard in jail already?! What’s the point of all these questions?!”

“We don't have any prove he did it.”

“What do you mean no prove?! The man himself is admitting it in front of our eyes. He’s living proof!” Sooyoung threw her hands in the air.

“People make false confessions all the time. He like all human beings deserves the benefit of the doubt.”

“Human being? He doesn’t even deserve to be classified in the same class as wild dogs.” Taeyeon spat. It was the first words she’s said all trip.

“Taeyeon-ssi, he could turn out to be innocent.”

Taeyeon couldn’t believe her ears. Innocent?! Has Detective Lee gone mad? She took a step towards him and was about to scream at the man.

But a hand pulled her back. She turned back right away to see who dared stop her. Turns out it was Jessica. Her eyes softened right away.

Everyone looked at her weirdly as to why the girl suddenly turned back to face plain air.

 

“Please calm down.”

Taeyeon listened to Jessica’s words. She took a deep breath and stepped back.

 

“Alright, take a look at your notes and if there’s no problem sign name here.”

The man reached out for the pen with his handcuffs in the way.

 

“Mark, after he’s done bring him to his holding cell. We’ll have him there for the time being.”

Officer Park left the room pinching her nose bridge.

 

“Well that’s about it. Please follow me outside.”

He flicked the switch again and opened the door to lead them out. Everyone gathered their things with dark expressions.

Out in the hall they ran into the same women they saw through the glass just a few minutes ago. She was sipping a diet coke.

 

“Officer Lee, you guys are still here. Oh…”

She bowed as she saw the gals of SNSD, F(x)’s Krystal and Jessica’s parents.

 

“My, I’ve always been a fan. Nice to meet you guys.”

The girls gave her a tired smile.

 

“Oh and I wouldn’t go this way if I were you. Mark is just bringing the guy out th…”

Krystal didn’t let her finish as she stormed to the way Officer Park warned her not to. Everyone else ran after her.

 

“Krystal where you going?” Sunny asked loudly while running.

Krystal finally stopped. Everybody behind her stopped too. The young girl stopped in front of Mark and the same rugged man from before.

Krystal looked him dead in the eye.

 

“You.”

“Are one hell of a disgusting pathetic piece of sh*t. I hope you rot your in prison mother er.”

Krystal rarely cursed. Not even through her most crappy moments.

Mr. and Mrs. Jung would have usually scolded Krystal for her nasty language. But this time, they couldn’t have said it better theirselves. Even the Soshi girls nodded in approval.

The man didn’t do anything outrageous and just smiled and bowed his head a little.

 

“My pleasure little darling. Have a nice day.”

Jessica gritted her teeth. How could this man be such an ? If she could she would have giving him a piece of her mind right now.

 

“Oh I will. Believe me, I will have the time of my life out there doing whatever I like. While you stare at four brick walls until you go crazy. Have fun in with your cellmates, I bet they will give you the best experience ever once they’ve found out what you’ve done.”

Krystal walked away. Jessica was proud of her little sister. Everyone was. She had always been good with words.

 

*

 

“Is he really the murderer?”

The girls had gone back home already and so has the Jungs. Now Taeyeon was in her room with Jessica.

Sunny was forced to sleep with Sooyoung for the meantime. She objected at first of course, but Taeyeon soon managed to make her go with it.

 

“I-I don't know.”

“What do you mean you don't know?! You’re the only one in the whole world besides the killer who knows the truth! You were there that night!”

“I c-can’t remember a thing. I’ve never seen the culprit’s face.”

“Well try to remember! Jessica you’re our last hope! If even you don't know than they’ll be truly no proof to send that bastard to jail!”

“I'm…sorry. I just don't know…”

Jessica clenched her head as hot liquid start to form in her eyes. She hated herself for not knowing who did this to her. And she hated herself even more for letting Taeyeon and everyone else down.

Every time she tried to think back to that night, she just started shaking in fear. The pain, the worrying, the horrifying memories kept coming back.

Seeing this Taeyeon realized she’s gone too far. She sat down on her bed next to her and wrapped the shaking girl in her arms.

 

“No…I'm sorry for raising my voice. I shouldn’t have done that. I know you’re going through a hard time right now.”

Suddenly the doors burst open. Taeyeon and Jessica lifted their heads up in shock.

 

“Alright Kim Taeyeon, you tell me right this second what is going on. You’ve been acting we….um Taeyeon? Why are you hugging air?”

Tiffany stood there at the door. Shoot, Taeyeon had forgotten to lock it. None of the two girls knew what to do.

 

“Ti-Tiffany?”

“What are you doing? You’ll wake the others up!”

Taeyeon pulled her in the room and closed the door behind her. This time she remembered to lock it.

 

“Start talking Kim.”

“I-I don’t kno-know what you’re talking about.”

“Oh save it short stuff. You’ve always at lying.” Taeyeon’s shoulders fell. Was she really that terrible?

She saw as Jessica got up and walked towards them.

“I think we should tell her Tae.” Taeyeon raised her eyebrows.

“Just tell her.”

“Alright…Tiffany. Sit down, you’re in for a long story.

 

*

 

“So that’s it.”

Tiffany blinked.

“You’re kidding…right?”

Both Jessica and Taeyeon shook their heads. Even though it was invisible to the latter, Jessica did it anyways.

 

“Bu-but, how is that even possible?! What kind of logic is that?!”

“Not everything can be explained with logic, Pany-ah.”

Tiffany thought for a second.

 

“This is absurd! There’s no proof—ow!”

Tiffany screamed in pain as a hard pillow magically picked itself up and launched at her face.

“What the?...ow!”

Another one came. Taeyeon stood and chuckled. Her girl was throwing pillows at the poor clueless Tiffany nonstop.

Because of the cold weather, the windows were all fogged up. Jessica went over to one and wrote with her finger.

                    Do you believe me now? BTW I saw what you did with Taeyeon’s toothbrush. That’s gross Tiffany.

                                                    -Jessica, and I want my five bucks back.

Tiffany’s eyes widened.

“Wait what did you do with my toothbrush?”