Case Closed

62 Days

 

“Who is it?”

A tall guy possibly in his late twenties lazily went over to his door to open it for whoever was ringing his door bell.

“Geez it’s so early in the morning.”

As he opened the opened his front door grumbling, he was quite surprised to see that a few of his co-workers were there waiting for him.

“Oh hey guys. What are you doing here?”

He smilingly greeted them but the man knew something was wrong when none of them returned his kind gesture. They all looked like stones.

 

“Mark Shan, you are arrested for drunk driving and the tempted second degree murder of Jessica Jung.”

All the colors from Mark’s face drained. He was equivalent to a white crayon. He had unknowingly dropped his bagel to the floor.

“You have the right to remain silent but everything you say will be recorded…”

Everything Officer Lee said from there on was a blank to him. He couldn’t even feel it when they were putting hand cuffs on him.

 

*

 

Taeyeon woke up to an enormous amount of from a little fluffy creature that somehow had climbed to her bed and onto her face.

“Ah…ack what the?”

Her sleepy eyes slowly darted to her dog, who wouldn’t stop attacking her with his small tongue.

“Man, Ginger I was having a good dream. Dang it why did you wake me up?” she took him into her hand and lazily climbed out of bed.

 

Suddenly a scary thought hit the short sleepyhead. What if her whole encounter with Jessica was just a dream? What if Jessica agreeing to come home was merely a part of her imaginary?

As if realizing these possibilities weren’t enough, Taeyeon had a wave of anxiety hit her. Right in the stomach.

She quickly put Ginger down and ran to her living room hoping to find a certain blonde.

“Jessica?”

No answer. The anxiousness in her stomach was growing bigger.

“Jessica....?”

Just a moment before she was about to lose her nuts, Taeyeon spotted a body on their couch. A tired an almost lifeless body heavily breathing during her slumber.

 

Taeyeon smiled as she breathed out a sigh of relaxation. The younger girl seemed to have passed out and fell right to slumber.

The stalker girl slowly made her way to her trying her best not to wake Jessica up. She bent down on the floor and studied her features for a second.

Jessica’s gotten skinnier.

Ha, come to think of it, Taeyeon has watched Jessica sleep a handful of times. That’s kind of creepy. One more step and Taeyeon could be labeled as one of those stalker fans.

 

 

*

 

The very next day, SNSD was invited down to the police station again. So was Jessica’s family. The cops said something about finding the real driver.

Unfortunately, Yoona and Tiffany couldn’t make it because of their hectic schedule. But don't worry, their very own trusty first hand news outlet, Sunny will fill them in on the details later.

“Officer Park!”

Sunny called out to a pretty buffy man in a police uniform. He was one of the cops in charge of Jessica’s case.

 

“Ah! Hello there girls.”

“Officer Park, is it true?! Do you guys really have the right guy? So that means the man from before was a fake?!”

“Woah, woah Taeyeon-ssi. Ha, that’s a lot of questions. You seem eager.”

Feeling slightly embarrassed, Taeyeon’s shoulders fell a little but at least she seemed to have calmed down a notch.

“Sorry.”

“Nah, it’s fine I understand. Guys come with me, I’ll explain everything on the way.” He pointed with his chin to signal them to follow him through the small hallway, similar to his actions last time the girls were here.

“Mr. and Mrs. Jung are on their way here.”

“What about Krystal?”

“We weren’t informed that she would be coming.”

“She probably has a schedule. F(x) is promoting their new song.” Hyoyeon reasoned. Inside her head she was probably feeling sympathy for the kid. She bet Krystal would be pretty anxious to find out the results.

“Ah here we are.” Officer Park opened the door to a room similar to last time’s.

 

Through the glass wall, was three figures chatting. It didn’t look like a comfortable chat because a guy with an ugly haircut seemed pretty nervous. Heck, nervous was underrating him right now. He looked like a 7 year old waiting to take the big exam he never studied for.

The eight girls in the room gasped.

“That’s the driver?!”

Seohyun pointed her finger to the guy with the bad hair. To which, Officer Park could only sadly nod at the fact.

Unbelievable! It was the same sweet guy that was working on Jessica’s case with his team. Mark.

“B…but he seemed so nice. I remember he was so shy and all.”

“Well looks can be deceiving.” Officer Park informed her when he went and turned the speakers on.

“Why did you do it?” The other side could be heard.

Right now officer Lee was questioning Mark. Who was nervously picking at his nails.

“I…I didn’t mean it. I swear! I jus…just drank a little too much and…”

Mark didn’t continue. He couldn’t even if he wanted to, his speech was too messy for even him to understand. But officer Park and the girl next to her got the idea.

 

“Did you commit the crime on purpose?”

“No!” Mark’s outburst surprised everyone in both sides of the glass. Officer Park’s partner stood up and slammed her hand down. It was a common police action to tame the criminal.

“Hey! Calm down.”

“…I’m sorry. I really didn’t mean it. Both the shouting and the crime. Please Officer Park, I’ve worked with you for five years now. You know how I'm like, I wouldn’t do it on purpose.”

“Mark please. Right now is not the appropriate time to bring in personal feelings.”

That Mark guy’s head hung even lower than before.

 

Taeyeon begin at the end of the room, saw Jessica curling up in a ball in the corner and wasn't as involved as everyone was in this conference with Mark. She worryingly walked over and sat next to her.

“Hey. What’s wrong.”

Jessica slowly held her head up and met Taeyeon’s eyes. Taeyeon didn’t like it one bit when she saw now scared and nervous Jessica was.

“I-it’s him! It really is him.”

“How do you know? I thought you couldn’t remember anything?”

“I thought so, too. But I remember the scar on his hand. That’s the same scar!”

Taeyeon’s head peaked up and tried to see the man’s arm. Indeed there was a noticeable scar on his forearm.

Some of the memories of that night were coming back to her again. The very reason why she hadn’t been able to sleep for several nights.

It was dark, but all of a sudden there was this really bright light coming her way and a very loud sound. She couldn’t remember what really went on next and neither did she wanted to.

 

*

 

“Now, do you know who the man from before was that confessed to this crime?”

The trio of policemen/women were expecting Mark to say no, but what he said after really surprised all of them.

“Yes. He was paid to confess to this crime and I’d be free of charge.” Mark was ashamed. Not because his plan didn’t work but of himself.

“Who paid him?” Though it was supposed to be a question, the way it came out sounded more like a statement demanding for an answer. If that made any sense.

“I did. I gave him 30,000 dollars in Canadian currency for his confession.”

 

On the other side of the glass, Sooyoung scrunched her eyebrows together.

“But even with that much money, why would the man agree? I mean, if he does get pledged guilty he’d spend the rest of his life in jail.”

Everyone nodded their head in agreement. And it seemed that Officer Park had asked a similar question.

“He had cancer. And his deadline was only a few more months from now. He wanted a way to make more money for his family even when he’s not here anymore. So I went to him and proposed my offer. At first he was in denial but after a short while he gave in.”

Mark thought back to the time he met the guy in the warehouse. Oh why did he do it? Mark couldn’t believe what an as*hole he was for forcing an illed patient to pay for his crimes.

 

His flashback marathon also brought him back to the night the accident happened. Though, he couldn’t really remember much and everything was really blurry. Mark still remembered how scared he was when he found out what went down.

He didn’t even know who he ran over or how many there was. The car his truck trampled had rolled down the small hill that night. All he could see was a bloody and unconscious body in the front seats. It wasn't until he saw the news the next morning had he known what he had done.

Mark ruffled his hair in rage making his haircut even worst.

After a few more questions, their investigation was officially over. They already had the evidence and paperwork, all that was needed for this case was the culprit and his words. Now that that’s out of the way, case closed.

 

“Sign here if there’s no problems.” The same old boring procedures at work, yuck.

Mark had always been on the other side of the table. The side where he questioned the people involved in the case. The side where he had to do these same old boring procedures. Now that he had a taste of how it’s like on the other side, it all didn’t seem all that boring anymore.

“Yoobum bring him to his waiting cell.”

Moments later, Jessica’s parents showed up. Well they had missed the live show where all the action took place but that’s still fine.

SNSD’s very own trusty first hand news outlet, Lee Sunny would fill them in later on what happened. Along with Yoona, Tiffany and possibly Krystal.

*

 

A few days afterwards, there had been a delivery to the girls’ dorm. A thin light brown envelope with official stamps and everything.

“I wonder what it is.”

Yoona took a random pen and ripped open the seal. Seohyun, Yuri and Sooyoung crowded over her to read the letter that caught everyone’s attention.

They knew it couldn’t be fan mail since it was usually sent to their company building in their P.O. box. And their dorm address was supposed to be private, so whoever this was from it’s got to be important.

The four tallest of the group scanned the letter over word by word.

“What is it? Geez tell us already you slow readers.” Hyoyeon who was waiting by the couch impatiently asked.

“That Mark guy really is guilty.”

The room grew silent. It really wasn't shocking but anything that officially involved Jessica were to be taken seriously at this point on. That’s the least they could be for her.

“His case is going to be trided on the first of December and they want us to attend the trial.”

“December 1st. That’s like three weeks from now.”

“We’re going. We have to.”

The other seven girls nodded. Of course, did anyone really expect them not to?

 

*

 

Later on that night, Taeyeon found Jessica in her bed again. Thank god Sunny had a late schedule tonight.

“Hey, something bothering you?”

Jessica didn’t answer.

“Is it because of the upcoming case?”

“Taeyeon do you know what December 1st is?”

That question totally caught her off guard. What’s so special about the first of November except for Mark’s trial?

But never less, Taeyeon took out her phone and checked.

“Uh…a Friday?”

Jessica stayed silent for another second. This quietness was scarring Taeyeon. She didn’t like it one bit.

“What is i—“

“It’s the day my time is up.”

Time sure passes by fast, Taeyeon had almost forgotten about the 62 days. One of the reasons are that she didn’t want to remember it in the first place. Who would want to be reminded that someone they loved so much would be dead in a given amount of time?

 

 

 

 

 


(A/N) Friendly reminder, for those who drive. Please do have your eye on the road and well....keep it there. I know this is just a fanfic but I did really try to highlight the damages of texting and driving, drunk driving etc. And as you can see, it never ends well, for neither parties. If you've really been reading this whole story (which i really hope you have lol) so far, you'd know that the impact isn't small. 

Untill next time.