Pride or Jealousy?

Body Switch!

What in the world? Nichkhun couldn't quite put his mind into it. Why was Wooyoung suddenly so cold to him? He shook his head and stared at the closed door in front of him. Well, whatever it was, he would find out. But for now, his stomach demanded food.

 

"Taec!" He turned around and called the big guy. The face that appeared had an annoyed expression. "What is it?"

 

"Uh....are you okay man?"

 

"I really wish I am, but I woke up in this big baffoon's body. Minjun here by the way. You do remember me right, Khun?" Minjun placed his hands on his hips and leaned against the kitchen counter. Nichkhun noticed that he had been busy cooking. Whatever it was, it smelled good. "Anyway, waking up next to you was a surprise. I thought Taec was staying here with Woobaby."

 

Nichkhun didn't like the way Minjun called Wooyoung, but he pursed his lips and said, "Well, we switched bodies. Anyway, I'm back to my own body. Where's Taec then?"

 

"Probably still sleeping. He'll wake up and realize it soon enough. Hopefully he doesn't make a mess of my room. Argh! This is frustrating." The kettle on the stove started to whistle then and Minjun turned it off. "Right now, I'm too hungry to care. Here, your share. I made some for Wooyoung too of course. Why was he so grumpy this morning?"

 

Nichkhun shrugged his shoulders and replied, "I don't know. I'm asking the same thing too." He grabbed his plate and sat at the small dining table in the kitchen. After the first bite, he became amazed at Minjun's cooking skills. "Taec should learn to cook from you. His food is always on the extreme end of two sides, either it's too much of something, or the lack thereof."

 

Minjun chuckled at this. "Is that so? Well, you've just given me something to blackmail him later. Why do I have the feeling that the reason I'm stuck here is because of him?"

 

"You'll have to ask him." Nichkhun grinned at the big guy. "Who knows....maybe he likes you."

 

Minjun almost sprayed his coffee out when Nichkhun said that but he managed to down it fast in one gulp. And then he said, "What?!" Nichkhun was already liking this. Revenge tasted so sweet. Instead of saying anything, the younger guy simply shrugged his shoulder and sipped on his coffee. The days ahead of them would be a long and treacherous one, but Nichkhun didn't mind spoiling it for Taecyeon. He deserved it after blurting out Nickhun's feelings to Wooyoung.

 

They quickly finished off their food, exchanging small talks in between and after Nichkhun was done, he excused himself and went back to his dorm. A shower would probably ease his mind right now, but his heart was still in a tumble of mess. "What does he mean....?" He asked himself, trailing off.

 

__________________________

 

School was awkward. Well, for Nichkhun anyway. Wooyoung was definitely, without a doubt, with a 100% proven fact, trying to avoid him. No matter what he did to approach the black-haired boy, Wooyoung always managed to scurry off elsewhere, leaving Nichkhun dumbfounded. They had no music class on Tuesdays, so Nichkhun couldn't find a way to talk to Wooyoung at all. By the end of the last period, Nichkhun was determined to catch up with the boy. But when he got to the dance studio, everyone had already left. 

 

Luckily for him, he found Taec (MInjun's body) in the library. The guy was looking for some books to help him with composition. "Dude." Nichkhun called out, tapping him lightly on the shoulder.

 

"Shh....we're in the library." Taec whispered back, searching around to see if anyone was looking at them. "What is it?"

 

"You're still a geek in this body. Anyway, I need to talk to you. Outside. Now."

 

Taec let out a heavy sigh and then hesitantly followed Nichkhun out, but before he did so, he hid the book he was holding at the back of the shelf, using the other irrelevant books to cover it. Nichkhun shook his head at this.

 

Once outside the library, Nichkhun dragged the big guy to an emergency staircase nearby. There was no one loitering around, thankfully. He turned to Taec and asked, "Did you talk to Wooyoung since morning?"

 

"Yeah. For a while."

 

"How was his mood?"

 

"The usual grumpy one. Why do you ask?"

 

"Something happened. After we got back to our own body, he shooed me out, refused to talk to me. He even avoided me during break earlier. It was so obvious. DId he tell you anything about me?"

 

Taecyeon tried to recall his conversation with Wooyoung this morning in front of the school gate. The smaller guy did mention something about Nichkhun, but he wasn't listening properly. How could he? Minjun was passing by at that moment, and he realized how tall his own body really was. The only other person who could actually match up was Chansung. And Chansung was....well, he remembered what Chansung was doing at the time. He was pratically all over Junho, hands snaking around unchartered territory. They thought no one would notice them behind the bushes. But hell, Taec noticed them, and he wished he didn't.

 

And then after that, Wooyoung was gone. Class started and whatever the smaller guy said did not get stuck in his head. Nichkhun rolled his eyes, frustrated at Taec. The only chance he actually had to find out about Wooyoung and all Taec could tell him was something Chansung did with Junho. "You're not being helpful right now, big guy. Can you do me a favor?"

 

"Anything man..."

 

"Can you just ask Wooyoung again why he's so cold to me? And don't tell him I asked. Just be smart about it."

 

"Chill. I got it. Anyway, I'm supposed to meet Minjun soon. I'll call you later."

 

"Ok." After that, two of them part way. Taec returned to the library to borrow the book he hid, and Nichkhun returned to his dorm. Once he stepped inside his living room, a call came through. He whipped out his phone and saw his brother's name scrawled across the front screen. "Hello?"

 

"Hey baby bro. Got a minute?"

 

"Yeah, wassup?"

 

"Well, just telling you to get a suit for the party this weekend. I forgot to mention it to you yesterday."

 

"Party?"

 

"You forgot already?! I just saw you yesterday! Anyway, let me refresh your memory. This Saturday we're going to have a party. It's to celebrate Yanin's early birthday before she goes off to England for a modelling project. And we're having it at our uncle's place in Seoul. The whole family wanted to see Korea, so everyone's willing to go down there. I'm already in Korea, staying at Pristine Hotel here, but I'll be busy for the next few days until the party. Mum wants you to meet someone. It's the daughter of our most important client. Remember Mr Song, right? That Chinese dude with the bald front."

 

"Yeah I guess." Nichkhun lied. He didn't really bother to know about his brother's business clients.

 

"Well, that guy has a daughter. Pretty girl. Heard she's studying in your school."

 

"Ah. Ok then, I guess I need to start shopping for a suit."

 

"Yeah. I deposited some money into your account. See you on Saturday, Khun."

 

The call ended and Nichkhun thought it was odd that his mum had suddenly wanted him to meet someone. That when realization hit him like a bolt of lightning. Wooyoung knew! "So the reason he's so cold to me was because....he's agitated? No, that's not right. Jealous?"

 

Since Wooyoung had a tendency to be overdramatic when he was jealous, Nichkhun thought that this was the likeliest possibility. He took a shower and made some dinner for himself. And after dinner, he decided to pay Wooyoung a little visit.

 

__________________________

 

Wooyoung didn't know what he was doing. It was just that everytime he saw Nichkhun, his legs would take off in the opposite direction. He knew he was being mean on purpose. Heck, Nichkhun must have realized how obvious that was. But he couldn't sweep this feeling of unease inside him. After dance class, he went straight to the mall nearby and plopped himself down in his favourite ice cream store, ordering every flavour he loves. The lady at the counter gave him an odd look, but later decided it was just one of those guy things when it came to ice cream.

 

While he was busily scooping up assorted flavours into his mouth, a familiar voice called out his name. "Oppa."

 

He turned around on his chair and saw Jieun standing in front of him. "Jieun."

 

"Eating ice cream by yourself? Something's definitely wrong, oppa."

 

Wooyoung smirked at this. "You know me too well. Anyway, have some ice cream."

 

Jieun wasn't sure about this. She wanted to forget him but if she stayed any longer, it might actually bring the spark back. "Oppa..." She said in a low voice, hoping that he could remember that they had just broken up. But Wooyoug looked as if nothing had happened. "What is it?" He asked, scooping another spoon of ice cream into his mouth.

 

"I can't be here too long." She said straightforwardly. "You shoud know."

 

"Know what?" He asked, puzzled. His eyes were completely focused on her and she looked....upset. "What's wrong, Jieun?"

 

"We broke up yesterday, remember?" She blurted out, her eyes becoming teary. "Did you forget already? Or are you pretending to care?"

 

Wooyoung gaped at her, not sure of what to say. They broke up? Wait, he wouldn't have known it of course, because yesterday.....Nichkhun was still in his body. Why didn't Nichkhun say anything? The ache in his heart was multiplying. First he had to find out that Nichkhun would be meeting someone else soon, and now Jieun looked like she was about to cry. This girl, whom he cared for like a sister his whole life, had just gotten hurt, and it was because of him. "Jieun, I'm so sorry." He wanted to hold her in his arms, to tell her everything. His true feelings. But he had an inkling that she knew him more than he thought..   

 

"Don't apologize, oppa. I guess the ice cream's getting in your head." She half smiled, taking a step back from him. "Anyway, you shouldn't be sitting here, eating ice cream until you grow old."

 

"I shouldn't? Why not? I love ice cream." She smiled genuinely at this. It was his charming point, something that only the closest to him would notice.

 

"You should be kneeling in front of Nickhun oppa and tell him you love him."

 

Her bold remark made him choke on his ice cream but he knew she was right. She had saw through him completely. But wait a minute....something's not right. "How did you know?" He asked, wanting to be sure about something. Nichkhun was in his body the whole time, and knowing that guy, he would not mistreat Jieun. So what made her say what she said?

 

"Everytime I see you look at Nichkhun, I see a sort of longing in your eyes. It's like you want to reach out for him but you're scared. I know you didn't do it because of me. But oppa, I also know you only see me as a sister. So I didn't understand why you didn't just tell me the truth, instead of giving me false hope all the time."

 

"I didn't want to hurt you, Jieun. You know that."

 

"I guess so." She chuckled, amazed at how well they knew each other. Almost like family. "Anyway, now that you're free, you should tell Nichkhun oppa you love him."

 

"I guess I should...." He said, his words trailing off. The ice cream in his cup was melting slowly, fusing the colours of the assorted flavours into a mixture of puke-coloured liquid. But he drank it all in one shot and closed his eyes for a moment. Jieun was gazing at him quietly at his side, wondering if she should go or stay a little while more. Finally, she said, "Oppa...." and Wooyoung turned his attention back to her. "Sorry." He mouthed.

 

"I've got to go."


Wooyoung nodded absentmindedly, got up from his seat and gave her a tight hug. "I'll see you tomorrow at school, Jieun ah."

 

"Ok, see you too, oppa. You owe me lunch. Now, go get Nichkhun. Fighting!" With that said, she left him, and as he stood there, watching her leave, his mind was bombarded with a million questions. But one question kept tugging at him. Does Nichkhun really love me that way? Even though he remembered Taecyeon blurting that out once, he didn't think it was something so....deep. He thought it was just a friendship sort of love.

 

"Do I love him?" He asked himself. That was something he wasn't sure of, but he knew that he didn't like the fact Nichkhun would be meeting someone.

 

When he got back to his dorm later that day, Nichkhun was already waiting in his room for him. "Where did you go?"

 

"That's not your business. What are you doing in my room?"

 

"Why are you like this?"

 

"It's obvious that I hate you." He lied. "Anyway,  I'm tired. I want to sleep. Can you just get out?" He threw his bag on the bed and sighed. Nichkhun suddenly stepped forward and brought their faces within inches of each other. "Say that again, Woo."

 

Ba bump. Ba Bump. Ba bump. Wooyoung felt his heart beat. The words were stuck in his throat and he could feel Nichkhun's hot breath against his skin. They were so close, and it was making him nervous. Very nervous. "I..." He managed but found it hard to conform a sentence.

 

"You can't say it. I know everything now, Woo."

 

"Know what?" Wooyoung cursed himself when those words came out like a croak.

 

"The fact that you were jealous."

 

"Jealous?! I would never be." He lied. And he knew he was good at it.

 

"Don't lie." Nichkhun knew well enough when Wooyoung was lying. The black-haired boy's eyes would be a little out of focus, not staring directly at the person he intended to say that.

 

"Look, whatever it is, can you just go? I really want to rest right now." Wooyoung finally said. He was truthfully tired. Nichkhun stared at him for a moment and then decided Wooyoung was honest when he said he was tired. He heaved a sigh and left, not before brushing his lips lightly against Wooyoung's forehead. The other simply gaped at him in shock. "Woo, remember what I asked you before, whether you would ever love love me? And you said maybe, one step at a time. Well, I wasn't kidding about my feelings, you know. So it really hurts me when you kept avoiding me today. I just want you to know that. I hope whatever trouble it is you're having with me, you could tell me someday." He said, and then he left.

 

Wooyoung watched him shut the door to his room, and then threw himself on the bed. He was confused. Not just about the whole situation, but at himself as well. If Nichkhun really loves him that way, then would he meet whoever it is he's supposed to meet this Saturday? But he was more confused about his own feelings. Jieun managed to worm her way out of this, and the barrier that once stood between Nichkhun and him was now gone. There was another barrier installed, this time concerning Nichkhun's family. Would they be able to accept Wooyoung? Those questions were playing in his mind before he went to sleep and he hoped that by the time he wakes up, the answers will be laid down in front of him.

 

___________________________

 

A/N: The Saturday party next.