Our Song

Body Switch!

"It's difficult to write the song." This was said knowing the fact that the music class mini concert was supposedly tomorrow. Wooyoung slammed the empty notebook against his face, frusrated. He wasn't good at composing songs. But he knew how to play the piano, at a beginner's level. Nichkhun stared at the empty music sheet before him and tried to recall what else their music teacher had said in class.

 

"Writing for someone...." He mumbled to himself. An idea was forming in his head, blossoming into a song, but Wooyoung's sudden vent of anger threw him off tangent. "Yah! I almost got something."

 

"Well, I didn't. So it's not fair that you're going to pass the class and I'm about to fail. Help me out too." He pouted angrily.

 

"Why should I help you when you don't even bother to try?"

 

This caused Wooyoung to frown even more. But then a sudden thought changed his frown into a smile. "I won't actually fail, you know. Well, physically speaking. We switched bodies, remember?"

 

Nichkhun narrowed his eyebrows and glared at the other boy. "What do you mean?"

 

"If you do well, I'm gonna pass. If you don't help me, you will fail." Wooyoung didn't want to be sinister, but it did feel good to be in control of the situation. He knew Nichkhun was too much of a study freak to fail something. The change of expressions on Nichkhun's face amused him, also admiring the fact that he looked adorable whenever his face frowns. But Nichkhun was obviously and extremely unhappy.

 

"You're not being fair right now." Nichkhun stated, but the other boy simply stucked out a tongue at him. Rolling his eyes, he got up and decided that if Wooyoung was going to be a pain to his , he might as well make it painful for the black-haired boy too. He started scribbling something in his sketchbook, making Wooyoung curious. "What are you writing?" Wooyoung asked, sitting up on his bed.

 

"Lyrics, my obnoxious buddy. It's for you."

 

"That was fast. What is it about?" He leaned in forward a little as he asked, and Nichkhun scooted back a bit.

 

"Me." Nichkhun relied monotonously.

 

"It's a song about my body?" The idea wasn't too bad. Wooyoung did have a narcistic side to him. Just a little.

 

"No. It's about my body." The reply made Wooyoung jaw-drop instantaneously. Nichkhun was snickering behind his sketchbook, amused at Wooyoung's reacton. Serves his right, he thought. He would think of the melody for the song as he continued to write.

 

"THAT'S GAY! OH GOD, EW! Why would I sing about your body?"

 

"If you want to pass, you would acknowledge me as a composer, even if it meant singing about me. Or unless you want to pick up your sketchbook and start writing your own song."

 

"Give me a tune and I will write the lyrics myself. Come on, we're supposed to be partners in this." Wooyoung pleaded. "Anyway, I'll make it good so that you'll pass. Just don't let me sing about you."

 

It disappointed Nichkhun that Wooyoung wouldn't sing a song about him. But then again, it would seem odd in front of the class later. He considered helping the black-haired boy at this, blessing himself for having a talent in composing songs, but he was still upset that no one seemed to be acknowledging him on it yet, especially Wooyoung. After a while, and a promise of a hug from Wooyoung, Nichkhun gave in. They went over to the living room, where Taecyeon's keyboard was kept, and began working on the melody they wanted. Getting the right melody would help to insert the lyrics later as inspiration begins to set in. Nichkhun already had in mind what he would be singing about, but Wooyoung still needed time to figure out his song.

 

About two hours later, just before the clock striked midnight, they managed to finish their songs. Nichkhun bade goodnight to Taec and Wooyoung, before leaving their dorm to go back to his. He had gotten used to Wooyoung's body by then, so putting on his clothes onto the smaller body didn't take a lot of effort. He just needed to fold his pants a little around the bottom. Hoodies seemed to fit Wooyoung best, probably because of his lean body. He wondered how Wooyoung was coping up on dressing him. Some clothes would have to be tight, but whenever Wooyoung became frustrated about clothes and style, Nichkhun would find the boy in front of his dorm very early in the morning, with a frown on his face.

 

Once he arrived at his dorm, he quickly cleaned up his body, trying his best not to look at Wooyoung's . It was bad enough that he needed to touch it in order to pee. The feeling made him yearn for something more, and it wasn't a clean thought. And then he washed the dumpling face and sat on his bed. It was time to write down the lyrics. He wondered what Wooyoung would write about. Probably about his dancing, Nichkhun thought. His mind had a lot of things inside that he could mention; things about his family and his life back in Thailand, even his friends. But there was one person that he had been dying to talk about, and that person was probably slamming his head against the table right now.

 

He tapped his pencil against his lips, smiled at the face of the person in his mind, and then began to pour out his feelings in his sketchbook. Once that was done, he snuggled up in bed and went to sleep.

 

____________________________________

 

There was a storm of acitivity in the music class the next day. Girls were jumping about from one table to another to check out each other's songs. Wooyoung brought along Taec's keyboard, while Nichkhun decided to use the guitar that the class provided. When the teacher finally walked in, the nervous feeling in the air was suffocating for everyone. No one knew who would be starting first. The teacher prepared a name list to randomly pick out anyone. The first name was a girl sitting at the front. She gave a heartfelt performance, but her voice cracked at the end, so it ended with bursts of laughter. Wooyoung (supposedly Nichkhun) came in second and Nichkhun had been anticipating this. So were the girls. He took out Taec's keyboard and set it up at the front of class.

 

And then Nichkhun held his breathe. Wooyoung placed his fingers on the keyboard and began to play.

 

All my friends ask me

"Why would you date her?"  

But they don't know she has this charm that I found in her

 

Is he singing about his girlfriend? Nichkhun thought. There was a twisted knot of sadness inside him, but he bit his lips to ignore it. And then Wooyoung began to rap slowly.

 

Hey you don't know fool, a feeling I know
The more you look at her, she's a pretty little girl to you
But to me, she's a girl the sky sent down, lovely baby

Her cuteness will change you all
Even if she's bad, she's pretty in any way
Not worried about a pretty s line
You wouldn't understand, even if it took the whole night

 

Nichkhun knew right then that Woyoung had written it for Ji Eun. At least I sound good when I rap. He didn't like the knotted feeling inside him, so he looked down and shut his eyes, praying for the song to end soon. Wooyoung glanced at Nichkhun once a while, because he knew that Nichkhun would pay attention to him. He didn't care about everyone else. It was just enough that Nichkhun would enjoy his performance, but when he saw the hint of sadness in Nichkhun's eyes before his body suddenly looked down, Wooyoung lost all his motivation to continue. He stopped after the first chorus. The class wondered if Wooyoung was not prepared fully, so the teacher inquired him about it, but he simply shrugged and said that he had written the song wrongly, much to Nichkhun's surprise.

 

The teacher called Nichkhun (supposedly Wooyoung) to come forward next. He didn't look at Wooyoung when he got up from his seat. His cheeks were burning, and GOD, he hoped no one noticed how nervous he was. He could feel his ears turning tomato red.

 

He sat down on a stool he had taken near the teacher's table and placed the guitar on his lap. After a few tuning, he began to pluck it. Wooyoung's voice was smooth, which Nichkhun had learnt when he tried to sing in it. So he made the lyrics suit the voice.

 

When I look into your eyes
It's like watching the night sky
Or a beautiful sunrise
Well, there's so much they hold
And just like them old stars
I see that you've come so far
To be right where you are
How old is your soul?

Well, I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

And when you're needing your space
To do some navigating
I'll be here patiently waiting
To see what you find

'Cause even the stars they burn
Some even fall to the earth
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it
No, I won't give up

 


 

 (If you can tell what songs I plucked those lyrics from, bravo!! I thought it suited the moment)

 


 

He finished midway, stood up and bowed his head. The class clapped their hands and cheered for him. There was a smile on Wooyoung's face when Nichkhun faced him. That little smile was enough to for Nichkhun. It meant a thousand meanings.

 

After class, Wooyoung dragged Nichkhun to the roof. "Why were you looking down when I sang?" He asked.

 

"Nothing." Nichkhun lied, not wanting to sound immature.

 

"Were you jealous?"

 

"What? Don't be ridiculous. Why would I be jealous of a song? My song turned out better."

 

Wooyoung did not smile when Nichkhun said this. He stared at his body, trying to register any sort of emotion that would give Nichkhun away, but the other was good at hiding his feelings. "Fine. Be that way then." Wooyoung replied, frustrated. When he was about to leave, Nichkhun grabbed him on the arm and pulled him back for a kiss on the lips. Surprised and speechless, Wooyoung simply stared at Nichkhun when they finally pulled apart.

 

"Pabo! Of course I was jealous. You wrote it for Ji Eun, didn't you? Well, I made my point...I won't give up. Ever. Ji Eun better be ready to get emotionally hurt. I'm going to make you mine, Wooyoung, one step at a time. That's a promise." He turned to leave. Wooyoung stood where he was, stunned at those words. But deep inside, it was stirring something in him. He wasn't sure what.