First Tears

FIRST

 

2009

“Yah! Kim Kibum! Why did you take my strawberry?!” I was enjoying my strawberry short cake, but this almighty Key, Kim Kibum, steal my strawberry that I wanted to enjoy the last. My strawberry!

“It’s your fault to put it aside.” He put the fork he used to steal my strawberry on his empty plate. “Keep giggling on your cell-phone and you got nothing.”

“I keep the best for the last!” I tried to defend myself. It’s true that I was messaging Jinwoon just now, and I ignored my precious strawberry. And at last it was eaten by Kibum.

“Hey, that’s not an excuse! And you should thank me too. You need to eat less. You eat too much.”

I slapped his arm playfully. “Last time you told me to lose weight and now you tell me to eat less!”

“It’s for your own good.” I couldn’t win over this almighty Diva, so I decided to ask for help.

“Minho-ah! Kibum stole my strawberry!” I asked Minho who were looking at his cell-phone with serious expression. No response from him, he’s still pressing the buttons of his phone with serious face.

“Minho?” I called him for the second time, but still no response. I looked at Kibum, he shrugged his shoulder.

“Minho-ah~ Are you OK?” I touched his arm. “Something wrong?”

“Ah, Mianhe…” he put his phone on his pocket. “What did you said?”

“She’s complaining that I stole her berries.” Kibum explained for me. I should thank him, but I didn’t because I was more worry about what happen to Minho just now. He looked so serious.

“Just ignore him.” I said to Minho, ignoring Kibum’s word. “Is there something wrong happened?”

“Uhm… Nothing serious. Changmin Hyung asked us to accompany him tonight. He’s quite unhappy recently.” I thought I got what he means. “Don’t worry. It’s nothing serious.”

“You can take mine if you want.” Minho gave me his strawberry. Kibum took his fork, tried to steal it from me. This time I wouldn’t let him steal mine for the second time, I ate it fast before his fork arrived on my strawberry. I smiled in victory!

That time, I enjoyed my free time together with Kibum and Minho. Actually, I also invited Jaejin and Jinwoon, but unfortunately they had schedule that day. I usually spend my day-off with my friends like today. We talk, we eat, and we laugh. But it’s seems that something bothering Minho’s mind today. His expression told me so, and just like what I predicted it might be connected with those news. TVXQ’s lawsuit with SM. Changmin oppa is his close friend, so it might affect him too.

Suddenly I thought about oppa, Jaejoong oppa. I had been busy with our Wanna promotion recently. I rarely called him, and when I did he’s the one who didn’t have time picking my call. Honestly it worried me a bit. I know the lawsuit must affect him a lot. I wanted to help, but I didn’t know how.

***

“OK, have a rest.” After two hours of practice, our dancing teacher let us to have a brief rest. Even though that day was my day-off, we still need to practice for our promotion. I went directly to the DSP headquarter after saying goodbye to Kibum and Minho.

I gulped almost half of the water from my bottle. I sit near the corner, beside Seungyeon unnie. I checked my phone to find any miscall or message but I found nothing.

When clearing my inbox, I saw one message sent by Jaejoong oppa last time. It’s about one month ago, and since then, he had never messaged me again. Actually, I missed him. And with the recent news about their lawsuit it makes me worry more about him. So I decided to call him.

I walked away to the front door then dialed his number. No one answered. I was about to cut the call when I heard his voice came from the opposite.

“Cole-ah. What’s up?”

“Hey Oppa! How are you?” Finally I heard his voice. Slight happiness filled my heart.

“I’m… Fine. I’m fine.” My sixth sense told me he’s not. I don’t know, my heard told me so. His voice told me so. I know he didn’t want to make me worry. But the more he did, the more I got worry.

“Oppa… Where are you? Can I come?”

“I’m eating my dinner now. Why are you asking all of sudden?”

“I miss you.” I blurted it out. But I meant what I said. I did miss him, or I could say that I worry more about him. “Tell me where you are and I’ll come to your place.”

“It’s dark outside. It's dangerous for you to walk alone now. We can meet tomorrow instead. OK?” He didn’t want to tell me where he was, but fortunately I heard the voice that could tell me his place.

“OK. Stay there and I’ll come in a second.” Without giving any change for him to refuse, I cut my call.

I took my jacket from the dancing room, and without bothering to tell anyone I left DSP headquarters. It’s about the end of our practice today so I thought it’s ok for me to leave a bit earlier, right? Just for today, I’ll miss the last minutes of our practice. Just for today.

***
Cling cling...

"Ah, Nicole-ssi! Anyeong haseo! You come on the right time." The waiter of Red Kitchen, Hosung oppa walked to my direction when I entered the restaurant.

I needed to catch my breath. My mum's restaurant was not far away from DSP, so I ran here to save time. It's the time for Red Kitchen to close, I need to arrive here before 11:30 pm.

"Nicole-ssi, are you OK?" Jihae unnie handed me piece of tissue.

"Thanks unnie. I'm ok."

I looked at the cashier desk. She's not here. Ah, I remember now, my mum was away to Busan to visit her friend.

"Nicole-ssi..." Jihae unnie pointed her finger at the table with the last customer left. It's oppa. I raised my left hand to her before she continued.

"Leave it to me unnie. All of you can go home." I knew what's she worrying. "Don't forget to close the curtain and lock the door. I have the key."

He's still not aware of my presences. It's weird. Really weird. Oppa is a good drinker. But now, he's lying on the table, half-drunk.

I took the glass from the glass rack, then took a seat in front of him. I took the Soju bottle from his hand and poured it to the glass on my hand.

"Hey what are you... Cole?"

"You're so mean oppa. Why don't you tell me you're here." Aghh... I gulped the soju in one go.

"Hey, you are underage. You shouldn't drink it."

"Nah. you know, I know no one know." I winked, try to enlighten his mood. Actually I did it because I don't want to let him drink more. You know, too much alcohol is not good for your health. "So, what makes you stay here until this late oppa? Something bothering you?"

"Actually I came to talk with Nuna. I need someone to talk with, but unfortunately she's away to Busan today." He finally found that nobody left in the restaurant, including the waiter.

I poured and gulped the second glass of soju before he poured it into his glass. He looked at me with slight amusement on his face.

"Why don't you call me then? I'll be your good listener whenever you want."

Before answering my question, he smiled. But still I could tell there's sadness inside his heart.

"You've been busy with your group and individual promotion. I don't want to burden you more with my problem." As expected from oppa. Honestly, I would do the same if were on his position. But I won't let him do this.

"So you don't mind if I volunteered myself to take it from you right?" I grabbed his hands, tried to let him know that I will always here by his side whenever and wherever he need help.

I might not good in giving advice, but I could be a good listener sometimes.

"Our lawsuit... I have been wondering whether I took the right choice." Confusion and sadness took over his mind when he told me what's on his mind. He didn't even look at me when he said that.

I decided not to say a word before he finished.

"It's SM we're facing, the biggest entertainment industry here in Korea. After what we had through these years, we're gambling all we had earned. All of our future." I kept silent with every word he said. Instead, I poured a glass of warm water for him.

"When we decided to go against them, we knew that it will affect our career. We prepared for all of this. But now, I started to doubt my decision."

I moved to seat beside him. The change of his expression made me worry.

"We got banned. We couldn't even meet our fans." I touched his shoulder, he's trembling. "And the worst, I couldn't meet my brothers."

Took a deep breath, he tried to control his emotions. But it's not easy. He looked at me with his watery eyes.

"I miss Yunho and Changmin." He cried. It's the first time I saw him crying. And it's hurt.

I hugged him in my arms. I could feel his weakness. His sadness. I didn't know what to say. All I could do was stay there by his side silently. I wanted him to know he still have me by his side.

***

Morning sunshine woke me up through the window. I looked at my watch. 6.57 am. Little pain struck my back and it made me realize that I was sleeping in sit position here on the sofa of Red Kitchen.

I turned my head to my right side, and I found oppa was sleeping on my shoulder. His face looked so cute and innocent while sleeping.

He was awakened by slight movement of my shoulder. He looked like a little kids while rubbing his half-asleep eyes.

"Morning oppa."

"Ah, morning Cole-ah." He greeted me back with his smile. "Did I hurt your arm?"

He rubbed my arm he's sleeping at. I felt a little bit numb there, but I shook my head to ensure him I'm ok.

Argh! I suddenly remembered the most important things I should do last night! I forgot to call Gyuri unnie! And Oh my... My phone was turned-off.

"Cole, are you ok?"

"I forgot to call Gyuri unnie last night." And when I my cell phone again, my inbox was bombarded by the message from manager oppa and Gyuri unnie.

"Ottoke oppa? They would kill me when I back." Doing wrong things wouldn't affect much, but making them worry for all night long would bring me nightmare. Ugh!

Chuckle left his lips when he looked me went back and forth in panic. "Yah oppa!"

"Aigoo~ don't worry Cole-ah. They wouldn't kill someone as adorable as you." He patted my head gently.

I was glad that oppa smile again. Looking at his smile made me forgot about my 'nightmare' for a while.

"Cole-ah..." He hugged me all of sudden. Gently and tightly. "Thanks for accompanying me last night."

"Oppa..."

"I'm feeling better now."

"It's ok, oppa." I patted his back softly. It's good that my presence could help him to take bit of his burden. "I'll be there when you need me."

"Thank you, Cole-ah."

After that day I realized how precious his smile for me. I would give anything for his precious smile.

Anything.

 

-END-

 

 

AN: Wow~ Another subscribers? Yay! ^^ Thanks for subscribing and commenting!

Another new chapter! It's quite late yea~ I don't know about Jae's lawsuit with SM very clearly, since I was not into KPop yet during 2009.. So it might be incorrect~ >.<

At last, like always, don't be a silent reader! ^^ Please give me advice and comment for this chapter~

happy reading!