A step on the way

The Sakura Tree

Authors' P.O.V

The following week Jongup didn't go to school. He just stayed inside of Zelo's room and read a book or stared out the window. Zelo couldn't do anything else then to just try to comfort him and shrug it of whenever he went to school. Which wasn't the same without Jongup. 

It was friday and Zelo sat in the cafeteria together with Daehyun and Youngjae. He hadn't told them about where Jongup was, just that he didn't feel well. At first they believed him but as the days went by they noticed that Zelo wasn't himself. He would always look like he was far away in his thoughts and when they talked to him he just gave them short answers. This day wasn't unlike any other day the past week. Zelo just stared at his food, thinking about what Jongup was doing and how he felt. If the book he'd been reading was good and if he felt as alone and sad as he did that night. Daehyun could no longer take seeing his friend all "zombie" and he finally spoke up. 

"Zelo-ah..." He looked at the boy and waited for him to at least give him a nod or a sign that he was listening. He didn't.

"Zelo-ah" He tried again but sighed when he didn't get a response.

"Zelo... Did something happen this weekend? You seem so worried... Did something happen to your dad?" Daehyun asked and looked at the boy. Zelo just shook his head and turned away. He could feel a tear stream down his left cheek. 

Damn... why can't I stop thinking of Jongup and what happened to him? Why? Why weren't I there? Why didn't I bring him with me as soon as I bumped in to him? Zelo thought, still looking away from Daehyun.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and he looked up. He saw Daehyun stand behind him and Youngjae looking over his shoulder.

"Let's go somewhere we can talk" Daehyun said and all Zelo could do was nod and stand up.

They walked into one of the classrooms and locked the door. Finally Zelo couldn't hold it in anymore and he broke down in tears. Leaving Daehyun and Youngjae worried by the door. 

They walked over to Zelo and Youngjae bent down to Zelo's level and said,

"What happened Zelo-ah? You can tell us. We won't judge you"

Zelo dried his tears and took deep breathes. He stood up and looked into Youngjae's eyes. 

"I-it's Jongup.." he said. Both Daehyun and Youngjae looked at each other and then back to Zelo.

"What about Jongup?" Daehyun said in a whisper.

"H-he Isn't feeling so well..."

"He's not dying is he?" Youngjae said with worry.

"N-no, but h-his father... H-he kicked him out and told him he no longer was his son..." Zelo said and started crying again.

Daehyun just stared blank at Zelo and started to breathe uneven.

"W-where is he now?" He said and shattered a tear.

"He's living in my house, or no he's in my house... I don't really think that you could say that he's living cause all he does is stare out my window" Zelo said.

Youngjae and Daehyun hugged Zelo and patted his back for support.

"Why don't we all go home to Jongup and just hang out? Do something fun? huh? what do you think?" Daehyun said and both Zelo and Youngjae nodded.

The trio walked out of the school and home to Zelo. They didn't care if they got detention all they wanted to do was support their friend.

When they walked into Zelo's room they didn't see Jongup.

"Where is he?" Youngjae asked and looked at Zelo.

"I-I don't know" Zelo said. "Let's split up, Daehyun, go check the kitchen and livingroom. Youngjae the other rooms on the second floor. I'll check here and in the bathrooms." Zelo said and they all split up.

Where are you Jongup? Please don't lie on the floor... please don't... and don't be missing!  Zelo thought as he continued looking through the bathrooms.

Finally he walked out on his balcony and there he was. Standing in just a tank top and shorts. He looked out over the city and  cried. Zelo approached Jongup and said,

"Jongup-ah..." This made Jongup turn to Zelo and look at him with sad eyes but a fake smile plastered on his face.

"Oh.. Zelo.... I didn't hear you coming" He said and continued looking at his friend. Zelo took Jongup's hand and pulled him into his embrace.

"I'm sorry..." He whispered. "I should be here with you, you should not be alone... Ever" 

Jongup could feel his heart beat extra fast and smiled as he hugged Zelo back.

"Thank you" he whispered back.

They stood there for a long time and their hug got interrupted by Daehyun coming out on the balcony.

"Jongup-ah !" He screamed and ran towards him and gave him a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry about what happened with your father" He said and Jongup nodded. 

Soon Youngjae joined their hug and they all stood on the balcony in the freezing cold until Jongup said,

"Uhm... Guys I appreciate the group hug but can we do it inside? I'm kind of cold.." Everyone let go of him and started walking inside.

When they got inside Zelo ran to his closet and pulled out the thickest sweater he could find and threw it to Jongup who took it and put it on.

"Thank you" He said and smiled. Then Zelo ran towards him and gave him a bear hug.

"To keep you warm" He whispered into Jongup's ear and continued hugging him. Daehyun and Youngjae just stood and smirked at the sight. 

"You think what I'm thinking?" Daehyun whispered so that only Youngjae could hear.

"Hell yeah" He answered and continued looking at Jongup and Zelo with a big smile.

The guys decided to watch a movie and after that Daehyun and Youngjae went home. Leaving Zelo and Jongup alone since Zelo's dad was working late... again.

Zelo feel asleep in the couch and Jongup started walking around in the livingroom.

I've never thougth about it being so big... and there's so many photographs... He thought as he looked at them all. He stopped at one. It was Zelo when he was about five. He was standing on the beach with a victory pose with a woman. Jongup grabbed the photograph to take a closer look at it. He didn't recognize the woman and continued looking at it. 

"She's beautiful" he said out loud as a whisper.

"Yeah she is" 

Jongup turned around and saw Zelo's father stand behind him looking at the photo. Jongup put the photo down and bowed

"I'm sorry sir, I didn't mean to.."

"it's okay" He interrupted and took down the photograph from the shelf.

"This is Zelo when he was four" he said and pointed at Zelo "He had just built the biggest sand castle he had ever made" He smiled and continued "and this..." he pointed at the woman. " Is Zelo's mom." He paused and looked at Jongup.

"This picture was taken about one year before she died" He said, which made Jongup look at him.

"I'm so sorry" he said.

"Yeah, me to.." Zelo's father said and put the photo down again.

"She got a blood clot in the brain " He said. "She died instantly" He looked away from Jongup and dried his eyes.

"And Zelo... He.. uhm... was playing in the garden with her... He thought she was just joking but... s-she didn't wake up and scare him like she used to and that's when I knew something was wrong..."

Jongup just looked at the man in front of him and then at the sleeping Zelo.

He's still happy... Even though he practically watched his mom die... If he can do that I can get over the man who never really loved me... Jongup thougth and looked back at Zelo's father, who now also looked at the sleeping Zelo.

"Thank you for telling me" Jongup said and smiled for the first time in a long time.

"Anytime.." Zelos' father said and grabbed Jongup's shoulder... "Anytime for the boy that makes my son happy" He said and walked out of the room, leaving Jongup clueless. Did this mean he knew?

 

Another week passed and Zelo stayed home with Jongup. He wanted to spend all his time with him and therefore decided not to go to school. Which, surprisingly, was okay with his father.

The two spend their days playing videogames and sitting on the balcony, watching the city until the sun went down. They laughed. A lot! Something the two boys hadn't been doing for quite some time.

 

Another week passed and Jongup finally went to school. As soon as he walked trough the school gates, fan girls started shrieking and saying things like "OMO Oppa you're back! Feeling better?"  and " Oppa! You look even better now!"

Jongup just passed them as he only got eyes for one person. Zelo. And he didn't care even just a little bit about the girls surrounding him. He did notice when someone smacked him on the though. Which he returned with an angry face and a "YAH!"

Jongup and Zelo met up with Daehyun and Youngjae and they all walked into the school. When they walked in the walls where full with information about the talent show. 

"The talent show huh?" Jongup said as soon as he saw the posters.

"Yep" Youngjae said. "It's on this friday... No audition is needed... Which means that I need to sit trough every bad "talent" there is..." He sighed. Making Jongup chuckle. 

"I'm sure not everyone's that bad" He said with a smile "I mean, Zelo can rap, Daehyun can sing and me... well I guess I could dance or sing?" 

"Sing?" Both Youngjae and Daehyun said.

"Y-yeah I'm not that good... But I can sing.." He said

"I look forward to that" The three said in unison and laughed.

 

The days went past fast and it was now FRIDAY!

"OMO I can't wait until later!" Daehyun said. Youngjae looked at him weird.

"Why? I mean I know that you love to sing and perform but you never get this excited?" He said.

Zelo looked at Daehyun.

How are you going to save yourself from this one Jung Daehyun? He knows you too well so you can't lie... Zelo thought and smiled.

"And what are you smiling at?" Youngjae said. "Do you know what he's up to?" He asked and Zelo immediately stopped smiling and said,

"Nope"

Youngjae looked at him and then at Daehyun.

"I'm not sure what you're up to Jung Daehyun but I WILL find out! You hear me?"

Daehyun hid his smile and said,

"Yes sir!"

Youngjae just rolled his eyes and started walking to the auditorium. 

"See you guys later! I need to be in there until the show starts at 8.00 PM so see you then" He said and waved goodbye.

"Let me see the ring" Zelo said as fast as Youngjae walked inside the auditorium.

Daehyun pulled out the ring and showed it to Zelo. He was obviously proud.

"WOW" was all Zelo could say as he looked at. It was full of small diamonds and in the middle there was a big diamond.

"What did your mom think?" He finally asked and Daehyun smirked.

"She wanted to steal it and use it for herself" He said.

"I understand why..." Zelo said.

I continued admiring the ring when Daehyun said,

"So.. Are you rapping one of your own songs?"

"Yep.." he said and looked at Daehyun.

"What's it about?" 

"You'll see" He said and walked away.

"YAH! where are you going?!" Daehyun screamed after him.

"Home!" Zelo said and started running home.

He walked up the stairs to his room and out on the balcony. He looked to his left and saw Jongup.

"Hi" he said.

"Hi" Jongup said.

They looked at each other for a while, getting lost in each other's eyes.

"Jongu.." Zel.." They both smiled.

"You first" Zelo said.

"oh, okay.. " Jongup said and looked into Zelos' brown eyes.

Damn, why do I always get lost in those eyes of yours?

"I was just wondering if you wanted to do something tomorrow? I want to show you something..." He finally said. Zelo smiled.

"Sure!" They smiled at each other for minutes until Jongup said,

"What where you going to say?"

That I think I'm in love with your eyes, your mouth, your cheeks, your body, your aura and YOU! 

"Nothing important... Let's get ready for the talent show!" He said and grabbed Jongup's hand.

Your hand fits so perfectly into mine, They both thought as they made their way inside.


Authors' note:

Chapter 5!

Nothing too important happened in this chapter I think but in the next chapter a lot of things will happen hehehe.... ^^

LOVE YAH! <3

byeeeeee~!