6

Roommates

A noise woke Himchan from his sleep.  When he heard the heavy rain outside he knew it must have been thunder that woke him, so, he rolled over and hunkered back down into the softness of his covers.  He heard a loud thunderclap, but he also heard some other noise along with it that he couldn’t quite discern.  He sat up and listened for it again when the next thunderclap rang out.  There it was.  What could it possibly be?  He got up and opened his door.  When the next loud clap sounded he heard it more clearly and was able to determine the location of the noise; it was coming from Sunhee’s room.

He rapped lightly on her door, but received no response.  “Sunhee, are you awake?”  He called out quietly, not wanting to wake her if she was asleep.  When the thunder sounded again there was no mistaking what the sound was; it was Sunhee.  “Sunhee, are you okay?”  He asked, calling out a little louder, but she didn’t answer.  “I’m coming in, Sunhee.”  He said as he opened the door to her room. 

Himchan peered into the darkness and made his way into her room.  When he got close to her bed lightening flashed and he saw that her bed was empty, sheets strewn about.  He moved closer to the bed just as the thunderclap sounded and he heard Sunhee whimper.  “Sunhee?”  He heard her but he didn’t know where she was.

Suddenly, he felt a hand wrap around his ankle and it took everything within him not to yelp at the unexpected touch.  He looked down, only barely able to make out the pale arm that reached out from underneath the bed. 

He knelt down taking her hand in his.  “Sunhee, honey, what are you doing under there?”  Another thunderclap rang out and Sunhee let out another shriek of fright, tightening her grip on his hand.  Himchan realized then that she was terrified of thunderstorms. 

“Come here.”  He said pulling the girl out from underneath her bed.  He picked her up and cradled her in his arms and she buried her face in his chest.  “I’ll take you to my room.  I don’t have a window and the sound is more muffled.”  He carried Sunhee into his room and laid her on his bed and tucked her in.  “I’ll go sleep in your room.”  He turned to leave, but he was stopped when Sunhee’s fingers dug into his arm.

“Please, don’t leave me.”  She whimpered desperately.  She then shrieked when thunder sounded again and she yanked on Himchan’s arm pulling him onto the bed with her.  She curled herself against his body, shivering.

Himchan sighed and wrapped his arms around her.  At first, with each loud boom outside, her body would jolt in his arms, but, after a while, he was able to calm her nerves by running his hand up and down her back as he whispered soothing words in her ear.

Finally, the thunder subsided and only the patter of rain could be heard.  Himchan, thinking she had fallen asleep, kissed the top of her head and whispered, “Sleep well, honey.”  He gave her a squeeze and sighed contentedly as he finally attempted to drift off to sleep himself.

“Goodnight, oppa.”  Sunhee’s muffled voice traveled up his body.

Himchan froze. 

“And…” She paused, “Thank you for taking care of me.”

Himchan smiled and squeezed her again.  “Any time, honey.”  He said kissing the top of her head again before finally falling asleep, filled with happiness as the woman he now cherished lie wrapped in his arms.

 

When Himchan woke the next morning, he felt someone tucked against his side with their head on his chest.  He looked down and was at first startled to see Sunhee, but then he recalled what had happened last night and he simply smiled, running a hand over her hair.  He could stay like this forever.

Sunhee stirred under his touch and she stretched, tangling her legs with his as she rolled in his arms so that she now lay over the left side of his body, looking up at him with a smile.  “Morning, oppa.” 

Himchan stopped breathing.  She looked like an angel when she woke up.  “M-morning.”  He stammered.

Sunhee giggled.  “Oppa, are you blushing?”

Himchan’s eyes widened.  “N-no, I’m not.”

Sunhee swung her leg across his body and pulled herself up so that she was sitting on him.  She stared down at him and grinned.  Himchan swore his heart gave up on him right then and there.  What was he supposed to do when he had the woman of his dreams straddling him on his bed?  It was either react like any straight man would or flee, and since she thought he wasn’t interested in women, he chose the latter option.  He grabbed her hips and rolled himself out from underneath her and onto the floor before making a mad dash to the bathroom and locking himself inside.  How was he going to continue living like this?  With each passing day his feelings for her deepened, and she really wasn’t making things easier for him either.  Since she thought he didn’t like women she didn’t think that her playfulness would affect him.  He gasped.  Had he just ruined everything?  Did she suspect now?  Did she know? 

“Get it together, Kim Himchan!”  He said to himself as he stared at his reflection. 

He wanted to call Yongguk, but he knew his friend would be more of a tease than a help.  He sighed.  He had to tell Sunhee, but how?  And when? 

Himchan cautiously returned to his room only to find Sunhee lying on his bed on her stomach kicking her feet in the air waiting for him.  Why did life hate him so much?

“Oppa, I think we should kiss.”  Sunhee said innocently.

Himchan’s eyes were the size of dinner plates.  “Excuse me?”

She got off the bed and shrugged as she walked to him.  “Well, we are going to have to act like a couple.  So, we need to familiarize ourselves with each other.  We need to get used to kissing and hugging and stuff like that.”  She said thinking about it and nodding as she spoke.  “I think that while we are at home we should pretend we are a couple, just to get used to it so we don’t seem awkward when we meet with Jinsung and my father.”

Himchan thought he was going to have a heart attack when she pressed herself against him and put her arms around his neck, smiling sweetly up at him.

“So, kiss me, oppa.” 

He had to remind himself to breathe.  “Are you sure?”

She nodded.  “We need to make our relationship believable.”

“Believable.”  He whispered.

“Yes.”  She nodded again.  “So, show me what you’ve got?”

Being male, he took that as a challenge.  He wrapped his arms around her and held her against him, finally taking the chance to taste those pretty, pink lips.  He couldn’t help the groan that escaped from the back of his throat, or the way his body took on a mind of its own as he carried her to the bed.  The feel of her underneath him set his skin on fire and the way her body was reacting to him made it hard for him to not give in.  He begrudgingly drew back, panting.  He stared down at her; she was a beautiful mess of raw passion.  They stared at each other for a moment before he sat up and turned away, trying to cool the flames within him. 

When he finally found his voice it was low and husky.  “Was that believable enough for you?”

When Himchan didn’t receive a response he looked over his shoulder and found Sunhee looking at him.  “I never thought my first kiss would be so amazing.”  She breathed, touching her lips. 

Himchan went very still next to her.  Did she just say that he was her first?  His heart did a little somersault. 

“I’m envious of Yongguk oppa.”  She added, killing Himchan’s brief moment of elation.

Himchan groaned and flopped back onto his bed, covering his face.  It was official, the universe truly hated Kim Himchan.