17 (final)

Roommates

Sunhee left the gravesite with tears stinging her eyes.  It had been unexpected, sudden, and the overwhelming grief that followed consumed her.  When she saw Yoona she started crying again as her friend enveloped her in a hug.

“Sh, it’s okay.”  Yoona said soothingly.  “He is in a better place now.”

Sunhee nodded, but it saddened her.

“Come here.”  Yongguk said, pulling her into his arms.  “It’s going to be all right.  Just remember I’m always here for you.”  He smiled at her. 

They’d become really good friends in the past five years, and he was especially special to Eunhee, Sunhee’s daughter.  Eunhee was four and she simply adored Yongguk, and the feeling was mutual; they were simply too cute together. 

“Oppa!”  Eunhee’s little voice called out, drawing Yongguk’s immediate attention.  “Oppa,” The little angel-faced girl smiled, “You promised you would take me for a walk to look at the pretty flowers.  Can we go now?”

Yongguk smiled and patted her on the head.  “Of course, sweetheart.”  He looked back up at Sunhee and winked.  “You know where to find me.”  He said before scooping Eunhee up and letting her ride on his shoulders.  She squealed in delight and grabbed at his hair, pulling on it to steer him in the direction she wished to go. 

The sight made Sunhee smile, but it was a faltering smile.  She looked back at the gravesite and tears started to well again.  Five years, and now he was gone.

“Hey, are you sure you are going to be okay?”  Yoona asked.  “Yongnam oppa and I can stay for a while if you’d like.”

Sunhee shook her head.  “No, I’ll be alright.”  She reassured her friend.  “I just want to sit here for a bit.”

Yoona nodded.  “Okay, call me if you need me.”  She said, kissing Sunhee on the cheek before leaving. 

Sunhee listened to the sound of Eunhee giggling over something Yongguk had done to make her laugh and the small smile returned.  Her eyes hovered over the gravesite.  She wished the joyous sound of Eunhee’s laugh could somehow bring life back to him.  If she could just see him one last time…

An arm around her shoulder and a kiss on her cheek brought her out of her thoughts.  “Can I do anything for you?”  He asked.

Sunhee looked up at her husband and smiled.  “No, I just wish I could talk to him one last time.  Five years. Five years and not once did my father ever talk to me.”  Her body shuddered in anger.  “He even refused to see our daughter all because of his pride and endless greed.”  She shook her head.  “And look where his pride and greed landed him.”

He rubbed his hand up and down her back.  “I know, honey, I know.  But you have to remember it was his loss.  He missed out on so much because of his stubbornness.  We tried, countless times, to make contact of any sort with him.  His refusal to acknowledge us until our bank account was overflowing was his loss.”  He hugged his wife to him, trying to comfort her as best he could.  “You did everything you could so you can’t blame yourself.  Besides,” He smiled, “We have the world’s prettiest little girl to concern ourselves with now.” 

They heard Eunhee booming with laughter, which either meant Yongguk had done something particularly funny on purpose or some incident had occurred to accidentally cause Yongguk to do something funny. 

They returned their attention back to each other.  And Sunhee could tell there was something he was aching to tell her but she could see it in his eyes that he wasn’t sure he should.  She let out a sigh.  She was pretty sure she knew what it was too.  Irony could be really cruel. 

“You became partners with you father didn’t you?”  She asked.

He flinched slightly, feeling guilty that she had read him so easily.  “That’s why I was late.”

Sunhee nodded.  “It figures.”

“I didn’t intend for it to happen today.  But today was the only day the board could meet so my father could make the official announcement.”

Sunhee shook her head and smiled, placing her fingers against his lips.  “I’m not angry, babo.  I’m actually relieved this all happened after he passed, otherwise my father would have made life stressful for us.”  She placed her hands on his face and pulled him close.  “Besides, I’m happy for you and very proud of you as well.  You have become very successful on your own.  I love you so much and I am proud to call myself your wife.”

He smiled at her and kissed her.  “I love you too, honey, and I am honored to call myself your husband.”

 

A/N: Don’t hate me if I made you cry…I…I…YONGGUK MADE ME DO IT! *throws Yongguk under the bus and heads for the hills*  I am really sad that this is over.  I have grown so attached to these characters…what am I going to do now that I am no longer able to join forces with the almighty Yongguk and torture the ever-living snot out of Himchan?  It’s a sad day for us all. *sigh* I love you all. You are the best.  I will work my hardest on whipping up something else for y’all to read.  But until then, Annyeong!