Phone Calls

Kidnapped

Dongwoo scowled at Sunggyu, feeding the baby in his arms while Hoya struggled to get their son to sit still in his lap.

“It’s been four years and you two have spoken nothing about marriage yet!” Dongwoo huffed, feeding a tired Hoya a bit of the cake sitting in front of him. Sunggyu shrugged, taking a sip from his coffee.

“We just never thought it was necessary,” Sunggyu said nonchalantly, “Besides, it’s not like we can actually get legally married in Korea.”

This time, it was Hoya who sighed and rolled his eyes. Sunggyu watched, slightly amused at how Hoya would make such a serious face while a toddler was trying to undo his earrings, “Yeah, but it’s the process that makes it makes the relationship more solid. Having to get rings, proposing, and the actual wedding. Screw legal papers and the whatever bull-“

“Language, Howon!” Dongwoo snapped, “Haejin dropped something yesterday and shouted out the f-word! You need to stop cursing in front of the children!”

“Well, sooner or later, they’re going to use them, so I don’t see the issue with having them improve their street vocabulary a bit young.” Hoya said, shrugging and pulling his son’s hands off of his ears.

Dongwoo was now glaring at Hoya, and secretly, Sunggyu was glad that glare was no longer directed at him- because, honestly, Dongwoo can be terrifying when he wants to.

“Street vocabulary?!" Dongwoo almost shrieked, "If you're so intent on the "street life" don't bother coming home tonight!"

Both Sunggyu and Hoya grimaced at that, remembering the last time Dongwoo kicked Hoya out. Hoya had to crash at Sunggyu and Yongguk's place, turning it into a battle field the next day when Dongwoo came to scold (read: beat) his husband.

Hoya sent a pleading look with Sunggyu, who sighed.

"I'll talk to Yongguk about it when he gets back from visiting his family. He head home to celebrate his mother's birthday."

Dongwoo's train of thought was instantly changed at what Sunggyu had said, "Why didn't you go?!"

Sunggyu shrugged, taking a bite out of the muffin he had in front of him, "I didn't want to. I already met them and I had work to do."

Dongwoo groaned, "You two are hopeless when it comes to relationships."

Sunggyu shrugged again, "We're just not as expressive as you two."

Dongwoo stared at Sunggyu questioningly, "Us? Expressive? It took me three years to get him to hold hands with me- and we've known each other since we were kids!"

Hoya scowled, "Well, it was different since we just started dating then! And it was in high school, I was stupid then!"

"And now," Sunggyu muttered, but his brilliant commentary fell silent upon the two arguing parents. Sunggyu sighed, easily taking the baby out of Dongwoo's arms and holding his free hand out to Haejin.

"Let's go hang out with Uncle while your parents have a date." Sunggyu said with a smile, Haejin grabbing his hand happily and following.

All of their friends were shocked when they had found out that Haejin liked Sunggyu the most. Everyone had their bets on Sungyeol, who played with the child the most. But Haejin enjoyed going on walks with Sunggyu, talking randomly and asking the man to sing.

The baby gurgled happily as a flower petal fell on her face, Sunggyu laughing and gently blowed it away.

"Is that you, Sunggyu?" a feminine voice called. Sunggyu looked up to see a woman in a business suit smiling at him.

"Narae? Wow, I almost didn't recognize you!" Sunggyu said happily, greeting his old classmate.

She smiled, blushing slightly, "I'm flattered. You're looking amazing yourself! Are these your kids?"

Sunggyu shook his head, "Oh no, I'm looking after Dongwoo and Hoya's kids."

She laughed, "So those two did get married! I always told my friends those two would get married, guess I was right! What about you and Woohyun?"

Sunggyu blushed, "We actually broke up four years ago, I'm seeing someone else."

Narae blushed as well, pushing back her hair, "And Woohyun?"

Sunggyu hummed, thinking, "Last time we talked, he was getting ready to travel with his boyfriend."

Narae nodded and Haejin whined, tugging on Sunggyu's shirt.

"Uncle," he whined, "I want ice cream!"

Sunggyu and Narae laughed, "I should probably let you go before the little guy gets too bored." Narae chuckled.

Sunggyu nodded, "Yeah, it was nice seeing you!"

Narae smiled, "It was great meeting you again too. Oh! I almost forgot, we're having a high school reunion soon. You should come! And you should bring your boyfriend too!"

Sunggyu grinned, nodding, "Sounds great! Here's my number, you can text me the details there."

He handed Narae his business card, waving the young woman goodbye as he and Haejin went to the ice cream store.

Sunggyu cradled the baby while Haejin ran around on the playground.

"Sunwoo, it must be hard living with those two dysfunctional people," Sunggyu sighed, thinking about the arguing parents back at the café, "after what I went through with trying to keep Haejin’s innocence, I don't think I can handle trying to come up with anymore excuses for your parents when you wake up at night hearing them going at it.”

Sunwoo just gurgled happily, playing with Sunggyu’s thin fingers. Sunggyu smiled, tickling the baby on his stomach.

“Of course, as of now, you’re still too young to be worried about that.” Sunggyu sighed, leaning back onto the bench to watch Haejin as he climbed up the slide. Sunggyu sat on the bench for a few hours, entertaining Haejin and Sunwoo until his phone rang, Hoya’s tired voice filling his right ear.

“Thanks for taking care of the kids,” Hoya said once they arrived at the playground, “I managed to get Dongwoo to not kick me out of the house tonight, so don’t worry about me crashing at your place. Oh, why don’t you eat dinner with us? It’ll be better than eating it alone.”

Sunggyu smiled gratefully, patting Hoya’s back, heading over to their apartment and staying for a few hours before retreating back to his apartment, sighing at the sudden loneliness he felt. He collapsed on the couch and pulled out his phone, going to Yongguk’s number almost on instinct. Yongguk picked up on the second ring.

“Hey, Gyu,” Yongguk rumbled out, the sound of the Bang family’s laughter ringing in the background, “Sorry for the noise, Natasha noona apparently filmed Yongnam dancing in his sleep, and the whole family is dying over it.”

Sunggyu chuckled, “It’s fine, it’s not too noisy anyways.”

“So how did your little coffee date with the Jang-Lee family go?” Yongguk asked, a small bit of shuffling occurring on his end with the family’s laughter suddenly muted and instead changed with the hums of car engines.

“Are you outside?” Sunggyu asked, “Isn’t it kind of cold? It’s night.”

Sunggyu could practically see Yongguk shrug his shoulders, “Eh,”

Sunggyu rolled his eyes, “So eloquent.”

“I try.” Yongguk replied cheekily, his low voice chuckling over the phone, “But you ignored my question: how was your little date with that dysfunctional family?”

Sunggyu scoffed, “They may be dysfunctional, but I visited Sungyeol’s place Wednesday, and they made Dongwoo and Hoya look normal. Their son was apologizing to me while Sungyeol and Myungsoo started arguing over which plates should be used for dinner. I ended up having to take Hyukjin out for burgers while his parents had make up .”

Yongguk made a small noise of disgust, “Did they start while you were still in the house?”

Sunggyu sighed, nodding even though Yongguk couldn’t see, “Yup. But Hyukjin’s been living with them since he was three, so he already had his headphones on the moment they went into the room. The poor boy was telling me how Sungyeol threatened his best friend when the guy asked Hyukjin if he wanted to spend the night at his place. He even gave them an hour long lecture on .”

Yongguk whistled, “That . Did the kid get pissed off?”

“Nah, he was just so embarrassed that he didn’t see his friend for three days before getting the guts to apologize for his stupid dad.” Sunggyu explained, remembering Hyukjin’s red face as he recounted the story to his uncle.

“Hopefully our kid won’t have to deal with us being stupid like that.” Yongguk said off-handedly. Sunggyu hummed, staring at the picture of him and Yongguk hanging on the wall above the tv.

“I doubt he will… He’ll probably be spoiled rotten by you though,” Sunggyu said, “knowing how much you like kids.”

Yongguk scoffed, “I would not spoil our kid.”

Sunggyu just hummed, falling silent. The two sat in the comfortable silence, listening to each other’s breathing over the phone.

“We should adopt a kid.” Sunggyu blurted out, “it feels too empty in our apartment.”

Yongguk hummed, “Why don’t we look into it when I get back?”

Sunggyu agreed, remembering Narae from that afternoon, “Oh yeah, I met up with one of my old classmates, there’s a class reunion in a week and she invited us.”

“I’m not sure if I can make it, since my grandmother’s dog just passed away and there are a ton of puppies to take care of- I might even be bringing one back with me- but I’ll try getting back soon,” Yongguk said.

“I don’t mind having a pet dog, I think our son would like a pet,” Sunggyu commented, “but don’t worry about it, I can just tell them you couldn’t make it.”

Yongguk was about to reply when a muffled voice that sounded a lot like Natasha spoke.

“Hey, Gyu, I have to head back inside, my family finally decided to eat dinner.” Yongguk said with a small chuckle.

Sunggyu raised his eyebrow, “It’s nine o’clock, Bang Yongguk, what the heck are you prioritizing in life? Food is one of the most important things in this world and you dare push it back to nine at night?!”

Yongguk laughed, “Sorry I don’t put as much importance in food as you do.

Sunggyu scoffed, “You don’t know how to live properly.”

Yongguk laughed again, “I think I’m well off, thank you very much. I gotta go, Gyu, love you.”

Sunggyu smiled, “Love you too.”

The two hung up and Sunggyu yawned, getting ready for bed and laying on his bed, pulling out his computer and researching orphanages until he fell asleep with his computer on his lap.


I. Am. So. Sorry. You guys don't understand how sorry I feel for never updating properly. I never seem to have time to write any more :( but this is possibly one of my longest chapters I've ever written! Almost 2000 words!! It must be a record for me! Anyways, this chapter was actually getting a bit long, so I decided to cut it short, but I actually have the other part already written, so expect another update by next week or so! As always, thanks to nanawawa, SaKuRan, Pamilaaae, and, iamtimmyread for subscribing to my story! Love you guys! Please feel free to leave comments and point out any mistakes I may have made! Thank you!~

- Evil Pandabear