What Do I Do?

Your Fault

Jessica's POV

----

I sighed, trying to find a job in the paper where I could earn more money for my family.

My family, my mom, myself, and my little sister Krystal.

That's my family.

My dad left when I was 8, leaving me and my mom, who was pregnant with Krystal at the time.

I am 17 now, not going to school, working 2 jobs.

No friends, only Krystal.

Right now it was only Krystal and I at home, my mom is probably out drowning herself at a local bar.

Krystal sit on the ground, coloring a random drawing book I got her for her birthday and using a pack of crayons I found lying around.

My house, it wasn't a house.

It was more like a shack.

2 bedrooms, one large room which included the kitchen and living room, and the tiniest bathroom you've ever seen.

I am sitting on the couch, newspaper in my lap and pen in my hand, circling potential jobs.

Suddenly the house phone rang.

"Krystal, can you get that for me?" I asked.

"Okay" she chirped obediently and got up to get the phone.

She handed it to me and I answered.

"Hello?" I called out.

"Hello? Is this Jessica Jung? Mrs. Jungs eldest daughter?" a male voice called out.

"Yes, this is she speaking, who is this?" I asked.

"Ah, hello Ms. Jung, I am Dr. Kim, I have some upsetting news." he began.

I dropped the pen onto my lap, worried.

"Your mother has died while drunk driving tonight, I am very sorry." he finished.

I gasped, causing Krystal to looked up at me.

"From what I hear, you are still underaged to live alone, and you have a little sister. We have contacted your father and you will be living with him from now on, someone will come pick you guys up tommorow, so pack up quickly and be ready tomorrow." he explained.

I hung up without replying.

"Unnie?" Krystal called out innocently.

"Krystal, go get a suitcase and pack your things." I ordered her.

Krystal furrowed her eyebrows, but she walked into to her room and began packing her things.

I sighed and held my face in my hands.

Krystal and I shared rooms, so I walked in as she was packing.

She finished packing and only half of her suitcase was full.

And she put all her belongings into the suitcase.

That's sad.

I sighed and put my clothes into the same suitcase as hers.

When I finished packing the suitcase was barely full, and it held all of Krystal and I's belongings combined.

I zipped the suitcase up and sat on the bed.

"Unnie, what happened?" Krystal asked as she sat next to me.

I didn't know how to tell her.

I wrapped my arm around her shoulder gently and her head laid on my shoulder.

"Krystal, do you know what death is?" I started.

She nodded against my shoulder.

"Krystal, mom died.." I said softly.

She brought her hands up to her face as her tears fell.

Krystal was young, but she wasn't stupid.

As the older sister, I let her cry on my shoulder as I stayed strong, even though I desperately wanted to cry with my sister.

From now on I promise to treat Krystal like my own daughter and be the parent she never had.

I will protect Krystal.

But I'm only 17..

What do I do?