moving forward

Dara Chronicles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara's POV

 

I open my eyes and noticed a little light from the window. The curtains are drawn closed - they must have wanted me to sleep well. I have no idea what time it is. I stretched and felt the stiffness of my body, made me wonder again how long I was asleep.

 

 

And then I remember - the beach, my decision, Donghae and my promise.

 

 

I slowly sat up. A glass of water is on my bedside and I took it for I suddenly felt thirsty. Once I finished the glass and placed it down and I just sat there for a few moments lost in my thoughts.

 

 

I finally told Donghae that I was sorry, and although my thoughts are hazy that night I know that he understood - that he was right.

 

 

I slowly stood up and walked to the window and slowly pulled the curtain open. It looks like the sun is just about to set. It must mean I have slept all through the day. A knock on the door made me look back, the knob turned and he peeked in the room. I saw his confusion when he saw the empty bed but it quickly disappeared when he noticed me by the window.

 

 

"You're up..." He said casually and I just nodded. " I bet you're hungry, its almost time for dinner, are you feeling better?" He asked.

 

"I... I think so..." I answered. He entered the room and walked a little closer.

 

"You got sick the whole morning, your fever won't go down so they have to inject you with anti-fever medicine."He was looking at me the whole time and it made self conscious because I suddenly remembered I just woke up and I must look weird, I looked down. "I'll leave now so you can prepare before dinner." He turned to leave but I spoke;

 

"About... About what happenned..." I softly said, wondering how to explain everything. Where to start and how to start but he cut me off when he turned back to me.

 

"We'll talk about that tomorrow. For now let's help you completely recover first. I'm not in a hurry, I just want the truth. And since you're finally willing to talk, let's do it tomorrow."He continued to walk out the room.

 

 

----------------

 

 

I woke up early and felt so well rested since I slept almost the whole day yesterday. When I walk out the room, it was quiet - everyone must still be asleep. I left a note on my bed saying I just went out for a walk - so they won't worry and think I've gone missing again.

 

 

 

 

I pulled the blanket around me tighter as I stared at the sea again, but this time instead of feeling the despair I've been carrying for weeks, I kind of felt a little free - like a load was lifted from my shoulder.

 

 

In truth - I knew I almost died that night.

 

 

I thought it was the only way for me and I can't see myself outside of this misery I'm in. But while I was in that water, as I felt the strong current pulling me out further, I suddenly felt like a coward... Giving up like that.

 

 

And when the water started going over my head I realized that I don't want to die... 

 

 

It took almost all my strength to swim my way back. I shuddered at the thought that I almost didn't make it. Now I know I must face my life now.

 

No more hiding.

 

No more feeling sorry for myself.

 

I'm on my own now...

 

 

 

My parents won't be happy if I just threw my life away like that without even trying to live. My uncle wouldn't like it either. My year of living with him thought me a lot. In some ways it also prepared me to be independent - maybe because my uncle's death was so sudden that I just couldn't accept that I'm really and truly alone that's why I did what I did and felt what I felt.

 

I look at the beautiful sunrise.

 

A new day.

 

A new start.

 

Time to face my reality.

 

 

 

 

"I knew you'd be here..." A voice said behind me. I looked and it was Donghae.

 

"I wanted to see the sunrise, and since I don't feel like sleeping again I just decided to go." I answered as he stop beside me.

 

"Can I sit?" He pointed beside me.

 

"Okay..." I looked back to the sunrise.

 

"That's beautiful." He said and I just nodded.

 

 

 

 

I knew that this is it. I'm going to tell him. I don't really understand why its him I'm going to explain to - maybe because he was the only one who really questioned me and made me face the things that happened.

 

"I don't really now how to begin..." I started. "Maybe you can ask me anything and I'll answer honestly. No more hiding or telling lies." I looked down at my hands waiting for him to speak.

 

"Let's start with the basics. What's your name and how old are you?" He asked.

 

"Sandara Park, 16 years old." I answered but instead of waiting for his next question, I continued. "An only child... My parents died a year ago on my birthday. Car accident. I then lived with the only living relative I have, my moms brother, an uncle. He works all around so we moved around too. He doesn't have that experience in taking care of others, especially not a child, until I lived with him. He wasn't perfect but he did his best. He didn't make me feel like I was a burden." I felt my eye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter