Chapter 8

Fix a Heart

 

               Jonghyun frowned and started the car, driving to Minho’s house. The older was talking nonstop about his day and how his classes were really boring until something called for Minho’s attention.      

                - What about Onew hyung?

                - I was just saying I like him! He’s funny. And way nicer than you. Or Key.

                The taller lifted an eyebrow: - A few days ago you said he didn’t talk much.

                - Well, he doesn’t but I can tell he is really funny and- Jonghyun interrupted himself, looking at his friend. – We’re here! Out of my car.

                - Gee, hyung, how nice of you. – Minho rolled his eyes as he got out of the car and then waved. – See you tomorrow.

                A smile was all Minho got from Jonghyun, while he restarted the car and drove back to his house. Shaking his head at his hyung infantilism, the brunet quickly entered home and took the list his mother wrote with the things he needed to buy from the grocery shop. After leaving his bag on the bed, the boy grabbed an apple and made his way to the store. He spent almost an hour looking for what his mother had written and when he finally had it all, he went to pay it.

                He was distracted with his thoughts, even humming a song he had heard on Jonghyun’s car when something at the park caught his attention. Or should he say someone?

                Knowing that not many people dyed their hair blonde, especially not in this town, Minho approach the person he was almost sure it was Kibum. His doubts were completely vanished when he was close to him, confirming that it was indeed Key. However, something felt off.

                - Kibum? What are you doing here?

                Said boy jumped in his place and turned to Minho, widening his eyes: - M-Minho? What-

                - No. I asked you first. – The taller smiled, while he sat next to the other and saw him turn his head away. – What’s wrong? Are you alright?

                - Yeah, it’s nothing.

                Sighing, Minho sat closer to Key and putted his hand on the other’s chin making him turn again. Kibum didn’t let his eyes meet with Minho’s while the latter was still speechless.

                - What? – The blond snapped, getting himself free from the other’s hand.

                - You dyed your bangs pink? – Minho said, after a while of just staring. When Kibum rolled his eyes, the boy chuckled. – It looks cute on you. – He saw how the blond blinked a few times, before looking at his lap, avoiding eye contact with him. He also didn’t miss the red that was spreading on his cheeks. – Why were you crying?

                Kibum pouted: - I was not crying. And stop saying embarrassing stuff.

                - Why were you crying, Kibum?

                Before Key could answer, a little boy appeared and jumped over to his lap, squishing his face: - Hyung, don’t you lie to people. You have to tell the truth.

                - Yoogeun, stop squeezing me, please. – The blond asked with a funny voice making the other two giggled. – Say hi to Minho hyung.

                - Hi, Minho hyung.

                The little boy laughed and hopped to the floor, starting to run around again while Kibum watched him with a smile forming on his lips. He then turned to Minho again: - He’s my cousin. We came to take a walk; things at home weren’t that great.

                - That’s why you were crying?

                - I wasn’t crying, Minho, I- He stopped himself when he saw Minho’s glare. – Fine! I was but it’s nothing, okay? It’s over now. I just needed some fresh air. – Kibum realized the other was still staring at him, waiting for him to continue. – I had a fight with my uncle. He wasn’t very fond of my pink hair. Actually, he’s never fond of anything I do. – He grunted, clenching his fists. – Then my aunt stands up for me and they end up fighting for hours straight. So I brought Yoogeun away from that, he doesn’t need any of it.

                Minho nodded and putted an arm around Kibum’s shoulder while he laid a hand on his head, patting him. The boy looked at him with his bow arched and slightly pushed the taller, letting his head rest on Minho’s shoulder after that.

                - Would you… would you like to have dinner at my house tonight? You and Yoogeun of course.

                He could hear Kibum chuckling and then he lifted his head and smile: - Yes, I would like that.

**

                - Umma? I’m home.

                Minho yelled when he opened the front door, letting Kibum and his cousin entered the house. After a while, Minho’s mother yelled back saying that she would come out in just a minute. When she finally appeared, they were already sitting on the couch, watching TV.

                - Oh, Minho, you didn’t told me your friend was this beautiful! – Mrs. Choi squealed approaching them, making Kibum blush. – How cute! Come here, darling, I’m Minho’s mother.

                Key got up, making Yoogeun do the same and the two bowed at the smiling woman: - Thank you for having us, Mrs. Choi.

                - Look at how polite he is, Minho. Jonghyun could learn something with him. – She kept on adoring Kibum. – I like him already. And you, my cute little boy, what’s your name?

                - I’m Yoogeun. – The younger answered, amused. – And I’m seven.

                Mrs. Choi laughed, ruffling Yoogeun’s hair and turning to Minho: - Go show them your room, son, while I start making dinner. Be glad I made your bed.

                - Mom! – The taller boy whined as his mother made his way to the kitchen. – Don’t listen to what she says. Come, Yoogeun, I have some nice video games.

                The little boy followed Minho to his bedroom feeling very excited while Key trailed Mrs. Choi’s way and asked her if she needed any help. When she almost kicked him out of the kitchen, the boy did his best to find Minho’s bedroom which wasn’t that difficult because the taller was already looking for him.         

                - I was just… I wanted to help your mother but she didn’t let me.

                Minho giggled, graving his wrist and opening the door: - Of course not, you’re a guest. Now come on, we’re going to play a really cool one.

                The blond didn’t had the time to say that he didn’t enjoyed playing video games because Minho shove one of the controls in his hands and pulled him to the bed. Kibum ended up sitting between the two and the next minutes were filled with laughter from all of them until Minho’s mother called for dinner.

                - Wow, it’s really good. – Yoogeun said with his mouth full.

                - Yoogeun! I’ve told you already not to talk when you’re eating. – The blond scolded.

                - Kibum, let him be, don’t worry. – Mrs. Choi smiled caressing Key’s arm. – Minho was a lot worse than Yoogeun at his age. Well, he still looks like a pig eating.

                - This is why I don’t bring anyone home, mom.

                She sighed, pretending to be disappointed: - Except for Jonghyun. But he is worse than you and little Yoogeun together.

                Kibum laughed along Mrs. Choi agreeing with her while Minho sulked in his place. He didn’t like his mom to talk like that about his best friend even if he knew how much she liked him or how true it was. When the blond saw Minho’s face, he immediately stopped laughing, looking embarrassed.

                Yoogeun sniffed and turned to Minho, breaking the silence: - Hyung, can I go back to your room and finish the game?

                The younger skipped to the floor once Minho nodded and ran to the boy’s bedroom happily singing. When the other three finished eating, Kibum insisted in washing the plates and was so convincing that Mrs. Choi eventually let him do it. But only if Minho helps you, she said while excusing herself from the kitchen. Washing the dishes with Minho took a lot more time than usually since the taller didn’t stop splashing him with water. And, of course, he had to counter attack.

                - I’m all wet. Look at what you’ve done, Minho. – The blond complained staring at himself. - I bet my hair is glued to my head. I must look miserable. - While he kept going on about what was wrong, he noticed that Minho wasn’t answering so he lifted his head to look at him. – Why are you so quiet?

                - You’re stunning, Kibum.

                Key opened his mouth to reply but he couldn’t come up with anything so he closed it. Just for opening it again seconds later without really saying anything. In the end, he just looked away; feeling like his cheeks could burn: - I am... I mean, you-

                - Hyung, can we go? – Yoogeun interrupted, pecking from Minho’s bedroom door. When Kibum lowered himself, the little boy ran to his arms and rested his head on the blond’s shoulder. - I’m starting to feel sleepy.

                - Yeah, we should go, Yoogeunnie.

                With that Minho called his mother and she came from her room saying goodbye to the two of them, insisting with the blond that he should let Minho drive them home. Not wanting to say no to the elder, Key agreed and in less than twenty minutes they were already stopping at his building.

                Minho looked at the back of the car where Yoogeun was already sleeping, turning to Key smiling: - Do you need help caring him?

                - No, I can do it. – He guaranteed and opened the car’s door but before he turned to the other again. – Thank you, Minho. For bringing me home. And for inviting us to dinner, it meant a lot to me.

                - It was nothing, really. – The boy scratched a nonexistent itch on his head and smiled again. – I just wanted to help.

                Kibum returned his smile and finally got out of the car, opening the back door, picking up Yoogeun and holding his at his hip as the boy continued sleeping. Minho waved and waited for them to enter the building to start the car. When he could no longer see Key and his cousin he drove back home.

 

Another one! 

You guys should comment , we need to know if you're liking the story :)