Chapter 13

Fix a Heart

 

The blond rolled his eyes and shook his head, grabbing Onew’s arm and pulling them to the cafeteria. On the way he kept on rushing them and telling how hungry he was. Of course, he was also blaming the older one for it. However, his fast pace was suddenly interrupted when he passed the large room’s door, making Onew stumble.

The boy looked at their usual table, seeing that Minho and Jonghyun were already there. He gulped and turned to Jinki: - I remember that I have to ask Woohyun if we have something to do since you dragged me out of class. So maybe I won’t be with you all for lunch. But you go ahead, hyung.

- N-no. – He shook his head frantically, putting his hands on Key’s arm. – I’ll go with you. And then we can go back to our table.

- I’m not having lunch with you guys today. But you are. – Kibum set himself free of Onew’s grip and pushed him to the front.

Unfortunately, his strength was a little miscalculated and Onew ended up falling on the floor. While Kibum widened his eyes and rushed to Onew’s side trying to understand if he was alright, a lot of people were showing up to see what was wrong.

- My ankle hurts. – Onew whined, grabbing his ankle. – What were you thinking?

- Sorry! I didn’t know you would fall. – Key apologized, his face frowning with the concern. – Can you get up? Wait, I’m gonna-

Just then, Jonghyun’s voice was heard amidst all the turmoil around them and soon he was knelt by their side: - Hyung! Are you okay? What happened?

- Thank god, I was just going to call you! We need to carry him, I don’t think he can walk.

- Of course I can. And you’re not touching me! – Onew warned, batting Key’s hand away. – You’ve done enough for today. And tell all those people to go away, they’re annoying me.

Kibum took a deep breath and got up, looking around: - Yah! What are you looking at? He just fell. He’s gonna be okay, you can go now.

Just like that, and because people knew better than to ignore Key’s glare, the crowd started to disappear until just Minho was standing in front of him while the other two were still on the floor.         Gulping, the blond turned to them and tried to help Jinki to stand up.

- I’m taking him to the hospital. Looks like a sprained ankle.

- I’m so sorry, hyung, I didn’t mean this to happen, really. I can go with you two to the hospital and-

- No, Kibum, you’re staying. – Onew decided and then he smiled. – I know you’re worried but it’s better this way. I’ll call you when I know something, alright?

Key just nodded and watched while Jonghyun putted Onew’s arm around his shoulders and grabbed him by the waist, helping him walk to the car. The blond stood still in his place until he felt a hand on his arm, making him jump. He turned around to see Minho smiling at him.

- Don’t worry, he’s gonna be fine.

- But it’s my fault. I shouldn’t have pushed him.

Minho sighed and poked Key’s nose, making him smile a little: - Let’s eat. I bet you’re hungry.

- In fact, I really am.

The both of them walked to their usual table by the window and sat down. While Kibum went to grab his food, Minho, who had already eaten, waited for him. When he came back, the brunet putted his elbows on the table and supported his face in them, watching Kibum as he went on and on about the Onew’s incident, repeating the same things countless times.

Their conversation was interrupted when a guy approached them: - Hey, Key! I was just wondering if you want to go out today with us. We haven’t been together for a long time.

- Oh. – Key said with his mouth full, motioning with his hand to the empty sit at his side that the boy gladly took. – Sorry Mir, I know. I’ve been a little busy.

- Did you find a boyfriend? – The boy asked glancing at Minho making Key choke on his food. – Are you okay?

- What are you talking about, you idiot? What boyfriend? – He snapped still struggling with his breath, fanning his hands in front of his face. – Either way, I can’t tonight. I have to stay with my cousin; my uncles are out of town.

Mir smirked, looking at the brunet again: - Are you sure that what you’re saying is true?

- What the hell, Mir? Yes, I’m sure. Just go and let me eat in peace.

Key’s friend got up and laughed, patting his shoulder. Before he returned to his table, he winked at Minho giving him a thumbs up while pointing at the blond. Minho just blinked and awkwardly returned the thumbs up, not knowing what to do.

- Don’t listen to him, he’s an idiot.

- You say that a lot. – Minho concluded returning to his original position. – So… you’re staying alone tonight? Do you need company?

Kibum, who was halfway of opening his mouth, to finish the last piece of food on his plate, froze and looked at Minho through his pink bangs: - No. I don’t need company. I’m perfectly fine with Yoogeun.

- You can feel lonely.

- You’re enjoying all of this, aren’t you? – He asked once he finished chewing his food. – I hate you, Minho.

- No, you don’t.

The blond sighed, letting his head fall on the table: - Just go to class. Maybe you’re late already.

- You mean that one we have together? – Minho smirked, making Key let out a grunt. – Gladly.

Kibum stamped his feet on the floor like a little kid and then got up, startling Minho, who just shrugged and laughed after the initial shock. The blond approached the other boy and smacked him countless times on the arm, starting to feel better. So much that when Minho putted his arm around his shoulders he just rolled his eyes and walked with him to class.

**

- We are arriving at the hospital! – Jonghyun said, looking through the rearview mirror to the backseat. – How are you?

- I’ll get better soon. – Onew answered, with his hand on his ankle. – It doesn’t hurt that much. Jonghyun, about yesterday… - He said, after a pause, being immediately interrupted.

- Good, we’re here! Wait; don’t get out of the car! Let me help you. – Jonghyun said, opening his door and running to the other’s door. – Ok, I can help you get out of the car or I can call a doctor to bring a stretcher: you’re choice.

- Jonghyun, please, keep calm. Just come here, I’m totally capable of walk if I had my arm around your shoulders. There’s no need to nothing else.

Onew rolled his eyes and smiled. Then he left the car and, with Jonghyun’s help, got into the hospital. Once they were inside, the smaller one forced him to sit in a chair and went to the receptionist.

- Hello. My friend is injured! He needs to be seen urgently. Are you listening to me?

 - You’re exaggerating. – Onew said, coming to the counter after hearing what his friend was saying. – I just hurt my ankle.

- Just wait a moment, the doctor will come soon to see you. – The woman said, pointing to the chair where Onew was previously sat. – You can sit there and wait.

After a few minutes, Jonghyun was about to get up again, when the doctor appeared. Jonghyun stood up and stared at the doctor.

- Hello. – The doctor greeted, stretching his arm. – So, your name’s Lee Jinki, right? You can come with me; let’s see what happened with your ankle.

- Yeah, let’s go! – Jonghyun said, holding the other’s arm.

- Sorry, but you can’t go inside with us. – The doctor said. – Just the patient can come with me.

- But I’m his friend! I brought him here! Please, he’s hurt! And it is scary go inside alone.

- Jonghyun, that’s ok, I’m not scared and I’m not alone. Just wait here for a moment. Take my phone and text my parents saying that I’m here, please.

Jonghyun nodded but, during all the time the other was inside, he never stopped walking around, trying to get in the private area. After a while, Onew’s parents arrived and Jonghyun walked to them.

- Hello! I’m Kim Jonghyun, I brought Onew here. I texted you earlier!

- Yes, we know who you are. – Onew’s mother smiled and held the younger’s hands. – Thank you. How’s Jinki?

- He hurt his ankle at college. But since we’re here I haven’t heard anything about him. I’m starting to freak out.

- Don’t worry; they’re going to give us news soon. Let’s sit and wait. – Mr. Lee said, walking toward the chairs.

However, it didn’t take too long until the doctor showed up and three of them got up again.

- I’ve already examined the ankle and I think it isn’t anything serious but, for caution, it’ll be better if he stays the night. Tomorrow’s afternoon he will be fine and ready to go home walking normally.

Onew’s parents nodded, thanking the doctor for the concern. Meanwhile, Jonghyun continued to argue and grumble about Onew having to spend the night at the hospital. When the doctor was back inside, the smaller one sat in the chair and crossed his arms. Just when he noticed that Onew’ parents were whispering he returned his attention to the elders.

- No, it’s better cancel it. We can arrange that for another day, he will not be angry. I’m sure he’ll understand; our son is injured.

- May I help you? – Jonghyun asked, realizing that there was a problem.

-  No, darling, I don’t think so. – Mrs. Lee said, smiling. – We were supposed to meet a friend tomorrow, who lives abroad. He came here for a while and tomorrow he will go back to his country after dinner. But since we need to take Jinki home, it’ll be impossible to meet him. Never mind, we can meet another day, when he comes here again.

- Mrs. Lee, I can take Jinki hyung home tomorrow. He will be fine, so I just have to come here and pick him. There’s not a big deal. Please, go meet this friend of yours.

- Are you sure? – Mr. Lee asked.

- Of course. I would come anyway. – Jonghyun said, smiling to the elders. – Don’t worry.

- Thank you Jonghyun. – Onew’s mother said, hugging the boy. – You’re a nice friend, we like you.

- What an honor! – Jonghyun said, bowing. – Well, I’ll go home now. If Onew needs something, just call me. Can you bring him his phone, please? – The younger one said, delivering the phone to Mrs. Lee and waving, getting back to the car.