Little Baby Penguins

Blush and Fall [DISCONTINUED]

“Are you sure you don’t want me to talk to the principal,” Joonmyun asked from the driver’s seat, “I’m an alumni there, remember? He’ll be okay with it.”

Joonmyun was driving Kyungsoo to school, and like always he asked his brother to at least speak to the principal about the bullying the younger was suffering from. Alas, Kyungsoo could only shake his head.

 

“It’s okay, hyung. I don’t want to trouble you-”

 

“Kyungsoo,” Joonmyun let out an exasperated sigh, “You are my brother. You’re not any trouble to me. If anything, you’re causing me trouble by not letting me do something about it.”

 

Kyungsoo hung his head, “Sorry, hyung.”

 

Joonmyun looked over sadly at his brother sitting in the passenger seat before ruffling his hair lovingly, “It’s just... I’m worried about you, okay? You never seem happy anymore.” The younger could only shrug in reply. Joonmyun sighed again as he pulled up to the school’s entrance.

 

“Be good, okay?” Joonmyun said as he unlocked the door for Kyungsoo. The latter nodded with a small smile.

 

Kyungsoo hurried to the school’s gateway. He waved his brother good-bye as the other drove away to his college. Kyungsoo sighed as he entered the school yard. No one except the staff and maybe a handful of students was there. He quickened his pace to go to his classroom.

 

When he slid the door open, it was completely empty. Kyungsoo let out a breath of relief as he headed towards his desk. He sat in the far left corner of the room, next to the window. Even though the desks were meant for two people to sit at, no one sat next to Kyungsoo. He was isolated from his classmates, and he did his best not to come in contact with them.

 

He plopped down in his seat and took out the necessities for class. His pencil, journal, and a miniature stuffed penguin to keep him company throughout the long day. It was tiny enough to fit in his desk perfectly. No one had noticed it therefore no one could make fun of him about it.

 

It was hard though, he admitted to himself almost shamefully. It was difficult and tiring being alone all the time. The only reason as to why he came to school earlier than everyone else was because he was afraid that his classmates would lock the classroom door on him or have already bugged his desk and chair. The incidents happened too many times before for Kyungsoo not to do something about it. He wasn’t the one to tattle - rather, he was afraid for what would happen to him if he did. He wouldn’t be surprised if nothing happened and all the blame would be put on him, yet again. He couldn’t do that anymore. It was too much.

 

Kyungsoo looked down from where his classroom window was and noticed the students piling through the gates. He took a deep breath and peered at his little penguin on last time. He can do it. He knows he can survive another day. Kyungsoo tried to look at the positives of what he could be excited for throughout the day, but as soon as the door slid open and jeers of disgust were heard, he knew it was pointless. He squeezed his little penguin in his hand and focused on the outside instead of the insulting gestures and remarks of his classmates.

 

You can do this, Kyungsoo thought to himself, You can-

 

A wad of paper struck his head already. It was only 7:56, dammit. Although it would’ve been best to ignore it, curiosity and a jaded heart got to the best of him as he slowly unraveled the piece of paper.

 

No wonder your real parents abandoned you. You’re a freak.

 

He crumpled the note and shoved it inside his desk which was already filled with nasty comments from his peers instead of throwing it out. Kyungsoo never wanted to get up from his seat. He was too scared of what they might do. Last time he did, they had tripped him and knocked over his desk before the teacher came in. He later got blamed on for the mess his desk made and for ruining the girl’s shoe who he tripped on. Never again, he swore. He sat in pure silence as however many students laughed at him. Kyungsoo knew he could persevere on. He just wished he just had someone else to be there for him for once.

 


 

“Is my wittle Jonginnie weady for school?” Chanyeol teased from his chair in the principal’s office. Somehow, Jongin had managed him and Baekhyun to get out of bed and take a shower to bring him to their old high school. Although Chanyeol would’ve much rather stayed in bed with his boyfriend a while longer, his best friend instincts took over and reluctantly agreed. Baekhyun on the other hand was already ready to comply. Now the couple was sitting in front of Jongin who was on the other side of the room.

 

“OMG, this must be so exciting for you,” Baekhyun squealed from his seat next to Chanyeol, “You’re so going to be the hot topic in your class!”

 

Jongin laughed at his best friend’s boyfriend's excitement, “Why do you say that, Baekhyun-hyung?”

 

“How come he gets a ‘hyung’ but not me!?” Chanyeol cried.

 

Jongin frowned, “Because you’re ugly.”

 

“You’re terrible,” Chanyeol wailed and looked to his boyfriend, “Baekkie, do something! Jongin’s being mean.”

 

But Baekhyun didn’t pay attention to his boyfriend’s pleads, “Because like, you’re so hot, and I know everyone’s eyes are going to be on you! I bet you can even get the teacher swooning!”

 

Chanyeol’s jaw dropped, “Baek, did you just call my best friend hot!?”

 

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow, “Yes...?”

 

“BAEKKIE! HOW COULD YOU!?”

 

“Well, I am hotter than you,” Jongin trailed off but smiled at the oldest of the three, “Thanks Baek-hyung.”

 

Chanyeol possessively clutched his boyfriend around his arms, “Don’t you dare call my boyfriend ‘Baek.’ Only I can call him that.” He stuck out his tongue for extra emphasis. Jongin only rolled his eyes. Before he could add a snappy comeback, a cough interrupted them.

 

“If you three are finished with your squabble, I would like to show Kim Jongin his class?” The principal stated. 

 

“Ayo, wassup Principal Yunho-”

 

“That’s Principal Jung to you, Park Chanyeol.” He interjected as his eyes narrowed at the lanky boy.

 

“Wow, someone’s still crabby as ever.” Chanyeol remarked.

 

Principal Jung only rubbed his temples with his fingers. He knew there was a reason as to why he was so happy to see Park Chanyeol finally graduate. This must’ve been the reason.

 

“Anyway,” the principal continued as he straightened his tie, “Are you ready Kim Jongin?” The said nodded as he stood up from his chair. Baekhyun immediately stood up too and hugged Jongin tightly.

 

“Um, hyung?” Jongin asked in confusion. He noticed Chanyeol’s jealousy steaming out of his ears so he decided to wrap his arms around Baekhyun, too. Chanyeol bit his tongue from lashing out, and Jongin stifled a giggle.

 

Baekhyun pulled back after a few seconds and cupped Jongin’s face with his hands, “Now be a good little boy, okay,” Baekhyun cooed as he squished Jongin’s cheeks with his hands, “Do you have your lunch and-”

 

“Baek, he’s not five.” Chanyeol complained from his seat, obviously not okay with Baekhyun mothering his best friend.

 

“Shut up Chanyeol,” Baekhyun snapped back before averting his attention back to Jongin, “I left my cell phone number on a sticky note in your lunch bag. Text me if you need anything, okay baby?”

 

Jongin nodded as his mouth couldn’t form any coherent speech as it was being crushed by Baekhyun’s hands. Seeming content with the nod, Baekhyun finally released Jongin out of his clutches and let out a big sigh.

 

“My baby’s finally going to school.” Baekhyun cried as he wiped an invisible tear away from his eye.

 

“You met for the first time this morning when we were about to have ,” Chanyeol called out from his forgotten place, “He’s not your baby.”

 

Baekhyun gasped offendedly and hugged Jongin again, “Do not talk about our baby like that!”

 

“Um, you guys do know that I’m still here, right?” Principal Jung asked from his too forgotten place in the room.

 

“Shut up, Principal Yunho. We know you have with your lovely secretary Jaejoong every morning, too.” Baekhyun replied curtly. Chanyeol watched his former’s principal face go crimson as he burst out laughing hysterically.

 

“Okay, that’s enough,” Principal Jung continued as he pried Jongin out of Baekhyun’s arms, “I’m going to take Jongin to class now... Take care you two.” And please don’t come back. He added silently to himself. 

 

Baekhyun parted himself from Jongin who was lead to the door. He stood next to his boyfriend and sighed happily as he latched himself to the taller’s arm. “Our baby’s really grown up now, huh?” Baekhyun whispered as Jongin looked back to wave bye to them.

 

Chanyeol groaned as he waved bye to Jongin, “Yeah, sure he has.” He looked down to Baekhyun who was staring right back at him with twinkly eyes. The taller smiled and kissed his boyfriend sweetly on the lips.

 

“I love you.” Chanyeol murmured in the smaller’s hair. Baekhyun giggled and only inched himself closer to Chanyeol.

 

Jongin quickly looked back in front of him as he saw the two of them kissing. He felt a pang in his heart as his clenched his teeth together. He was going to have to get used to this, he reminded himself. Chanyeol has a boyfriend, and they are absolutely, positively, and perfectly in love with each other. And Jongin wasn’t a homewrecker, especially not to his best friend. They were too happy together. Jongin sighed as he took one last glance at the boy who he loved so much walking out of the school hand-in-hand with his smaller lover. He was just going to have to get used to it.

 


 

Kyungsoo looked up out of habit as he heard the door slide open once more. It was the principal this time who called the teacher out. He thanked Shisus, was he ever so tired about learning the types of transformations in precalculus. It’s not that he didn’t understand it, it was quite the opposite. He understood it perfectly well. The morons in the class though didn’t seem to understand after the fourth time of explanations. 

 

“I wonder what the principal wants.” A girl near where he was seated wondered out loud.

 

“Maybe he’s meeting the teach after school.” A boy answered in a suggestive tone.

 

He heard another boy snort, “Nah, the principal’s with the secretary.”

 

“Ew, aren't they both guys,” the girl shuddered, “That’s nasty.”

 

“Maybe it’s time they realized a certain someone should just drop out from school.” The first boy said.

 

Kyungsoo could feel the students near the proximity of the conversation shift their gazes towards him. He kept his focus straight out the window with his left hand supporting his head and tried not squirm under all their beading eyes. His palms started to sweat as he played with the pencil in between his fingers to keep him calm.

 

“Yeah,” the girl continued, “Maybe the principal realized that orphans are orphans for a reason.”

 

The boy staring at the window tensed up.

 

“Probably,” the second boy sneered loudly, “They just belong on the streets, waiting to rot and-”

 

“Class! I have an announcement!” The teacher stated as she clapped her hands together.

 

All of the classmates whipped themselves back to where they belonged, and Kyungsoo was forgotten yet again. He sighed. The only time he was actually made visible was when they needed someone to pick on. He just wanted to be invisible forever. Was that too much to ask?

 

“Class, we will be having a new student!” The teacher exclaimed. Excited whispers ran through the class like a wildfire. The teacher shushed them all before explaining more.

 

“I know it’s already a month or two in the new year, but I hope you can all welcome him warmly,” she looked at the sliding door, “Would you like to introduce yourself?”

 

 

The door slid open slowly as the new student slinked in. Kyungsoo learned in all of the years of bullying and solidarity, not to get excited when a new student is introduced. It would be pointless for him to attempt yet again to become friends with that person to only be let down as that person drifts away to other people in the class, leaving him alone once again.

 

Out of curiosity though, Kyungsoo looked up to a gorgeous male standing awkwardly in front of the classroom. He took a split second to absorb the new presence in front of the classroom. His aura overpowered the room, even silencing the chattiest people there. The new kid scanned the room with judging eyes and bit his lip. Kyungsoo had to reprimand himself from staring too long and sought refuge in the window again.

 

“I’m Kim Jongin,” the boy said and God, his voice was smoother than chocolate, “Please take care of me.”

 

“Would you like to say more about yourself?” The teacher urged.

 

There was a pause before he replied, “Not really, no.”

 

“Okay,” the teacher agreed with slight disappointment in her voice, “The class will just get to know you better as the year progresses, right everyone?” A jumbled mess of ‘yeses’ were heard.

 

“So where should we put you, Jongin?” The teacher pondered out loud. Kyungsoo stopped breathing for a second as he noticed the teacher’s eyes looking over to his general direction. “How about next to Do Kyungsoo?” Kyungsoo gulped. “Do Kyungsoo, will you please raise your hand for Jongin to see?”

 

He heard a laugh to the right of him, “Teach, don’t put the new kid there. It reeks.”

 

Kyungsoo blushed in embarrassment as his eyes wandered to see Jongin raising an eyebrow at him. It was the new kid’s first day and already the class wanted to make known who was the oddball.

 

“Yeah,” the boy in front of him continued, “It smells like someone who’s been living on the streets for days.”

 

Kyungsoo clenched his pencil in his hand and let his head hang low. His other hand found security in his desk, squeezing the life out of his poor little penguin. He blinked his eyes quickly so tears wouldn’t form, but he could already sense his eyes watering up.

 

“Jongin can sit next to me,” a girl purred from the other side of the room, “I smell lovely.”

 

“Areum, doesn’t Naeun sit next to you?” The teacher asked.

 

Areum groaned, “Yeah, so?”

 

The teacher sighed, “Jongin, can you please sit in the empty desk back there?”

 

Jongin shrugged as he made his way down the aisle to where Kyungsoo was. The latter’s body immediately tightened up and moved his chair farther away from Jongin. Kyungsoo didn’t even know if he smelt, but he was just so mortified already that he couldn’t look the other in the eye.

 

“Alright, that’s enough excitement for one day,” the teacher announced, “Back to transformations!” The class groaned in unison as she began to explain the lesson for the fifth time that day.

 

“So Jongin, doesn’t it smell?” The boy in front of him asked as he turned around. Kyungsoo could feel Jongin looking at him. Why was he so nervous? He should be used to all the negative attention.

 

“It does,” Jongin started and Kyungsoo really wanted to cry, “Maybe you should shut your mouth more often.” The boy in front of him gasped and covered his mouth with his hands.

 

The new kid scrunched up his nose. “Yeah, that would be helpful. Save us all from what’s that... Stale coffee?” Jongin continued in disgust. 

 

The boy turned back around to face forward with his hand still covering his mouth. Kyungsoo only then took the risk of looking at Jongin. The latter was genuinely smiling, and Kyungsoo felt his heart speed up.

 

“Don’t listen to them,” Jongin whispered as leaned in closer to Kyungsoo, “You smell like  blueberries. I like it.”

 

Kyungsoo knew his face was heating up as he quickly averted his eyes to the outside world again. He heard Jongin chuckle softly. The former wished his face was darker like Jongin’s so the redness wouldn't be so prominent. Kyungsoo used his peripheral vision just to steal one more glance at the new boy. Jongin flashed him a killer smile before returning his attention to the board, and Kyungsoo had to hold his little baby penguin a tad bit tighter.

 


 

*{author's note}*
*~~~*
 
So Kyungsoo and Jongin finally meet! I had to edit this multiple times just because the way it was written before had Kyungsoo swooning over Jongin at the first meeting, and I didn't want that to happen yet /winky wink. Hopefully they're knowledge of each other will progress in the next chapters or so!
 
Stay with me guys! I love you all, mwah!