The visitor

It Started with a Glance

 

December 4, 2011

8:00 PM

Shinee dorm

 

AIMEE'S POV

After eating we each retreated to our respective rooms. I half expected him to follow me into mine, or my feet to carry my into his, but nothing of the sort happened.

Dinner had consisted of some left over vegetable soup from the night before and a heavy dose of silence. It was childish, I know, for us to be so quiet, but I for one didn't even know what to say. My mind was switching rapidly between the pain in my face and the confusion in my heart.

I had an uneasy feeling about what was happening between us, especially in the past few days. All of a sudden things had changed and I wasn't sure if I liked the change.

I mean, sure I liked him, loved is probably a better word actually. The feeling I got when he held me was something I had never experienced before. Sure I had had my fair share of boyfriends, but this seemed different. I felt like I could just stay wrapped his warm embrace for the rest of my life, never needing anything or anyone else.

And you would think that it would be perfect, right? Two best friends one day realize their love for each other and it ends all happy happy because they were best friends and soulmates. But thats not how things played out in my head. I saw everything falling apart and the strong friendship being broken.

Maybe it was just an overly pessimistic part of my brain. Maybe everything would work out for the better.

But there is always that one couple. That one couple that gets screwed over by fate, and with our bad karma combined, I felt positive we would be that one couple if I let things continue the way they were.

But you can't just end a relationship that hasn't even started...

True, true. But I can not push it any farther.

Really? Your even happier than you were in the beginning and your just going to throw that away?

NO! I mean, yes..kinda..can't we just go back to what it used to be like?

Sorry hun, thats not the way this works.

I curled up into a ball and laid my head on the ice pack under my pillow case, letting the coolness ease the pain of the bruise on my cheek. Why did life have to be so complicated? Why couldn't God just hand us our other halves like he did Adam and Eve, instead of sending us on this crazy search.

My cell phone was resting on top of some school books on the desk at the far side of the room, and from my spot on the bed I could just barely hear it vibrate and see it light up slightly. To me, there is almost nothing more annoying than something you need being just beyond your reach. More specifically when you need to check a text and you are lying in a sick bed, deep in thought, and your phone is not with you...

Groaning in annoyance, I reluctantly got up and retrieved it, opening it on the way back to my bed. The screen read four new messages and one missed call.

Umm ok?

That was strange, no one should have been meaning to contact me today, and the other members all knew what had happened. And it wasn't nearly the time that my American friends would be calling.

Which reminds be I haven't spoken to them in weeks...or was it months? Ah whatever I'll call them eventually...

I opened the messages starting with the first one.

 

To: Aimee

Hi Aimee. Uh, you dropped your studio keys when we bumped at the store and I forgot to return them. When can we meet? You'll probably be needing them.

From: Dongho

 

I swore under my breath, that had been at 1:00, just after I had returned from shopping and right when...never mind. I didn't want to think about that.

 

To: Aimee

Ah you must be really busy today, but I really don't want to forget to return the keys~!

From: Dongho

 

That one had been sent a few hours later at 3:30...

Hmm I must have been asleep.

The third one was, once again, from Dongho.

 

To: Aimee

I don't mean to be a bother...BUT THE KEYS~!

kekeke and I want to ask you something...

From: Dongho

 

Oh God what else could be want.

I didn't even bother opening the last one after seeing it was from him, I just called him back instead. The phone rang a few times too many, and I was about to hang up when he answered.

Oh Aimee you finally got my texts!” He exclaimed after our short greeting.

Ah yes, sorry about that.” I stalled, not sure what to tell him, we had only just met after all. “I've had a busy day..yeah.”

Hopefully, he would buy it.....and he did.

Of course you did. Preparing hard for your comeback right?”

Y-yeah...something like that.” I said nervously, although he seemed not to notice, so I moved on. “Um about the keys. Do you want to stop by now and give them to me? Or...” I stopped and let him make a decision.

I guess I could come now.” He said. I gave him the address and then dismissed myself from the phone call.

Great. Now to just make myself look like I didn't just get beaten unconscious.

I examined my appearance in the circular mirror on my wall. What a mess I was. My cheek had a prominent, ugly bruise covering the entire bone area and much of the rest of that side and my opposite temple was slightly bruised, with two rows of extremely noticeable stitches from the in-home-doctor stretching from the edge of my brow to my ear. There really wasn't anything I could to to make it all look better. But there was one thing I could cover up. I pulled on an oversized hoodie with a high neck to hide those bruised and cover the scaring wounds on my shoulder. The fabric stung when it made contact much like the blanket had, but I'd rather have that then Dongho see the scars.

From my room I heard the door bell ring.

Huh...that was fast.

I'll get it!” I shouted out to let Taemin know he didn't have too.

I took one last look at myself in the mirror, adjusting my hair to hide as much of the stitches as possible. I pulled hopelessly on my front bangs, sighing. If only I had still had a side sweep, it would be so helpful in this situation. Giving up, I headed to answer the door. This was as good as I was going to get.

I swung open the door and put on the brightest smile I could muster, even though I wasn't really in the mood.

That looks forced.” The boy said frankly upon seeing my face. I let the smile drop and replaced it with a blank look.

Its been a long day.” I told him, bringing my eyes up to meet his. A small gasp escaped his lips.

Omo, Aimee what happened to you?” He asked, his voice thick with worry. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

Like I said, it's been a long day.” I said again, hoping Dongho would get the hint and leave it alone. “Can I have my keys?”

He held onto his pocket defensively. “No. Tell me what happened to your face. It wasn't one of the Shinee sunbae's was it?” His eyes did a sweep of the dorm from the doorway, as if he were looking for one of them to scold. I rolled my eyes.

Dongho-ah of course it wasn't one of them. Please can we not talk about it?” I whined, pouting my lips and giving him puppy eyes. He wrinkled his nose but agreed and I smiled for real.

Thanks, I appreciate it.” I said.

Well the important thing is that you still look pretty...even with bruises.” He told me, blushing and looking at his feet. I had to bite my lip to keep from smiling too much, and rocked back and forth on my heels and toes.

Really?” I asked shyly.

Aish just take your keys and stop fishing for compliments!” He laughed, pulling the keys out of his jacket and dropping them into my waiting hands.

Thank you Dongho-ah!” I cooed mockingly, ruffling his hair. He smirked at me before turning around and walking towards the elevator.

I leaned against the door frame and watched him go. Right before the elevator door shut he stopped it and stepped halfway out.

Meet me for lunch sometime?” He shouted out to me. I twisted my lips, seriously contemplating my decision.

Say yes! You could use some more friends outside of SM.

No No No say no! Were you not just kissing Lee Taemin?

It's not like we're dating or anything...we haven't even confessed yet...

But...

No buts about it. And besides lunch with Dongho will be like lunch with a friend.

I hope you know what your doing...

Sure, I'd love that.” I yelled back. He beamed back at me as the doors slowly shut.

 

TAEMIN'S POV

Thats weird...when do we ever have someone ring the doorbell?

Aimee called out from her room that she would answer it as soon as it sounded. Did she know who was coming?

I could hear the door open and the soft murmur of conversation. Was that...a boy's voice? Curious, I crept from my room and stood in the threshold of the living room, covering my open mouth at the sight before me.

Aimee was standing in the doorway with the boy I was positive was the UKiss maknae, Dongho. He looked concerned and I figured he had noticed the injuries.

But they didn't dwindle on the topic for long.

Well the important thing is that you still look pretty...even with bruises,” he told her. My eyes widened with disbelief. Was he actually hitting on her? But what surprised me even more was her reaction. She had a flirtatious smile plastered on her face and she was holding her hands behind her back. And...was that blush creeping up onto her cheeks?

Dongho pulled something, keys it sounded like, out of his pocket and gave them to Aimee right before leaving. I was about to return to my room, somewhat confused by what I had just witnessed, when I heard him yell from the elevator.

Meet me for lunch sometime?” I whipped back around and watched her impatiently.

Obviously she'll say no...I mean he's asking her out on a date and she doesn't like him like that.

Oh yeah? How do you know?

I mean I don't know if you noticed but we were basically making out on the deck a few minutes ago.

She could have been playing you....

No way! We held hands, kissed, slept in the same bed...so that means she likes me right?

I had finally convinced myself of her answer. She was going to reject his lunch offer, and I would ask her to go with me after rehearsal tomorrow. Yes, thats what will happen. I was satisfied....until she answered.

Sure, I'd love that.” I froze, mouth open and eyes wide in shock. She lingered in the doorway a few more moments then necessary. Finally I came to my senses.

Are you serious?” I asked, completely baffled. I couldn't decide whether I was more hurt or surprised. She jumped at the sound of my voice and the spot to face me.

T-taemin oppa when did you get here?” She questioned nervously. I didn't answer, only shaking my head and turing back to my room. She followed me immediately but I urged myself to ignore her.

Taeminnie tell me whats wrong?” she pleaded. I tried to shut the door on her but she slipped her thin arm in and I stopped, not wanting to hurt her anymore.

By now I was fully aware of the situation and decided on two things: I was hurt and I was pissed.

Yah leave me alone.” I said, trying to push her out the door, but she fought back.

No, what the hell Lee Taemin!” Now she sounded annoyed too. “Aren't I allowed to have other guy friends besides you?”

So we were just friends? Was is a normal thing in America to act like a couple with your friends? Tch, well at least that cleared things up. I faced away from her, crossing my arms.

You can have as many guy friends as you want.” I told her. “And I can have as much privacy as I want. Now go.” I pointed my finger at the door behind me. She huffed but came up behind me, her breath heavy against my ear.

Looks like I'm not the only one with PMS.” She said bitterly before dashing from my bedroom.

Yah! Who do you think you are?!” I yelled, starting after her but stopping in the hallway. She flashed me a quick merong before rushing into her own room.

When I got back into my bedroom I fell back onto the bed, staring blankly up at the white ceiling fan. Did she really like him more than me? No, it was supposed to be me and Aimee, not Dongho and Aimee!

Me and Aimee holding hands in the park.

Me and Aimee sharing an ice cream.

Me and Aimee cuddling by the fireplace.

If you want her so much pushing her away probably wasn't the best thing to do...

I sighed wishing someone had been there to slap me in the face. Not only did I have competition now, but I had just gotten rid of any lead I might have and landed myself in a last place spot.

Great.

My Mental To-Do List:

  • Stop being an irrational idiot...it only causes trouble