Where Do I Belong?

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Already Taken

Grandma and grandpa left me alone that night to settle into the house quietly. I first looked around my room which, i still couldnt believe, looked so much like the one back home. I went and sat down at my desk next to the window, it was very dark outside, there were no city lights, no honking cars, no late night shopping streets. It was somehow peaceful an eerie at the same time. On the desk in front of me was a list of things, where they are, when they will be used for and why. It was written in korean and once again i was touched at Grandma and Grandpas hard work. It said that i had school the day after tommorrow at 9 am. Wow, so late, i was used to school starting around 7 am back home. This schould be good, 2 hours of extra sleep. 

I walked around the room some more and unpacked some of my clothes, i hung them in the already half full closet of clothing. There were so many new garmets in the closet all in my size, it must've been KyuHyun oppas doing. I made a mental note to thank him when i get the chance. That reminded me, i pulled out my mobile and sent a group text message to all my fellow S.M artists and managers, telling that i arrived safley and am settling in well. I sighed, im not going to see them for quite a while...

I lay down on the bed thinking about them as i fell asleep.

The next morning i woke to the sound of birds chirping, birds chirping? i can never hear birds chirping in Seoul... wait..... im no there anymore. I jumped out of bed and looked at my bedside clock, it was 7:30 am. I looked down and found myself in a cute pair of sleeping shorts and a large oversized shirt. I dont remember sleeping in these.. hmm.. probably grandma changed my clothes to make me sleep better. Bless her.

I opened the door slightly and heard the house already full of life, grandma and grandpa were also early risers. I grabbed my toiletry bag and found my way to the bathroom upstairs. Grandma told me yesterday that this bathroom was mine now, since grandma and grandpa share the ensuite in their room, i get this one to myself. I showered quickly under some hot steaming water to fully wake myself up, brush my teeth, comb my hair etc etc. Finally i was done and went back to my room to change. I was just about to change when i thought of the large window next to the desk and bed. Hmm... i slowly peeked outside and saw a house next door. Even though the houses were separated by a strip of land and a fence you could still see the window on the opposite side and inside it quite clearly. Inside i could see also a bed and table. It looked like there were posters hung around the room, but i couldnt make out what they were of. The setting sort of reminded me of Taylor Swift's, "You Belong With Me" music video. The windows of the boy and girl opposite each other. The windows here were just as big and showy. No one seemed to be inside the room so i sighed with relief and started changing. 

I ran downstairs to the kitchen to find grandma cooking at the stove and grandpa sitting at th table with a cup of coffee and the daily newspaper spread out in front of him. He had his specticles on, which made him look very proffessional. Both of them looked up at me in surprise as i walked in the room.

"An early riser i see" smiled grandpa

"Don't you want to sleep in dear? you had a very long flight yesterday"

That was the thing, i didnt feel tired at all! I smiled at them and shook my head.

"I dont feel tired at all! Im full of energy ready for the rest of the day!"

Both of them chuckled and grandma gestured for me to sit down at the table as she set down a plate of scrambled eggs, bacon and toast in front of me. I sat down gratefully and thanked her for making me breakfast. She then sat down a cup of milk in front of me aswell. I popped in a mouthful of eggs with bacon on toast, it tasted delicious! It had just the right amout of everything in it! 

"You like it?" asked grandma as she set down her own plate of food and a cup of tea. 

I nodded enthusiastically, at the same time stuffing more food in my mouth. I finished all the food, not wanting to miss a single piece. At the same time grandma and grandpa also finished so i offered to do the dishes. Grandma started to argue but i insisted and she gave in. 

For the rest of the day i helped grandma with some gardening and chores, grandpa took me around the neighbourhood and showed me where i would be going to school, shopping centers, parks etc It was the first time i took a proper look around and i was stunned. The whole place was so peaceful. There was so much nature here. 

We walked around and back to the house. Grandma gave me the rundown on what i should know for school. She showed me my uniform, books, timetable etc. Finally i was ready for school. I was so excited that night that i was jumping up and down the whole time. I showered and ran back to my room and opened up my comp. I was about to open up the internet when i noticed a light turn on in the distance. i turned to the window and saw it was the house next door to mine. I looked curiously as a young boy around my age walked into the room. He was actually quite good looking, he had a mop of somehow stylish jet black hair, straight nose and chin, skinny but somehow slightly muscular. He walked in a sat down on the bed. He looked quite tired. Now that the light was on I could see his room clearly. The posters weren't of people, but they were paintings of musical notes and instruments. I noticed a keyboard, guitar and even a microphone. Hmm the boy was musical. 

The boy suddenly stood up and walked to his closet and pulled off his top, he was about to change! I squealed and pulled the curtains closed. I feel like a stalker, staring at this boy I didn't even know. I shuddered and went back to my desk. I shook my head and started analyzing my timetable for tommorow. Seems like I have homeroom first for every day, I was in 5b. 

I was looking through the rest of my schedule when I heard really loud music coming from outside my window. I slowly peeked though the windows and saw the young boy dancing in the middle of his room. And I mean really dancing! He wasn't just jumping up and down moving to the music, but actually choreographing his own dance. The music wasn't very familiar either. His dancing seemed quite complicated, but once you looked at it closely, it was actually just a serious of quite simple moves blended together. 

After analyzing his dance moves a little more I opened the curtains halfway and started copying his dance moves. I hope he didn't turn to look this way and see me. I kept on dancing, the more I danced the more of my own style I added into the dance. I turned to my computer and a breakdance music piece. I kept on dancing enjoying my self more and more. I turned the volume up louder and morphed the dance into one of my own dances from back home. 

I was enjoying myself so much it took me a while before I realised that my curtains were still open. I stopped immiediately and turned towards the wlndow. I turned to see the young boy sitting on his bed staring at me. My eyes widened in shock and ran quickly towards the window to close the curtains. I saw the boy laughing hysterically at my reaction and shaking his head slightly. I felt my cheeks heat up as I pulled the curtains shut. I quickly turned to my computer and shut off the music. I checked the time and decided to email my friends back home tomorrow instead. I jumped into bed, cheeks still flushed from embarassment. I tried getting the boys face out of my mind and concentrated on school tommorow.

 

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock going off at 7:30. I turned the alarm off and pulled myself out of bed. I got up out of bed and walked to the bathroom. I could hear grandma and grandpa already downstairs. I took a shower, brushed my teeth and brushed my hair. I was never one to spend time in front of the mirror prettyfying myself. I just left my hair down and and put some moisturiser on my face. I rushed back to my room and found my school unform and pulled it on.

SOLSTICE_School_Uniforms_by_ember_snow.j

*What the school uniform looks like*

I packed my bag, i put a pencil case that i brought over from korea and a few notebooks. I then opened my curtains and made my bed. I didn't want grandma to end up packing up after me. When i opened the curtains i couldnt help but take a peek to the room opposite mine. The room was dark, and it looked like the boy was still in bed. I sighed with relief and ran downstairs, my backback bumping happily between my shoulder blades. 

Downstairs it was the same scene as yesterday. And this time i sat down without hesitation. Grandma and grandpa smiled when they saw how excited i was. Grandpa offered to walk me to school, but i didnt want to trouble them more and i rejected the offere politely. The school was 15 minutes walk from the house, but i had to get there early to go to the front office and sign in. so i left 8:20. That was after i washed the dishes and kissed both grandma and grandpa goodbye. 

I walked down the street to school, the whole way i was thinking about what it would be like, what would the students be like? will they like me? or will they think im weird...

I arrived at school at 8:35 with 25 more minutes till class started. I saw some girls and boys that have already arrived playing around with each other. I had the urge to go join them but resisted. I found my way to the front office. I walked in and was greeted by a rush of air-conditioned air. I walked inside and saw a nice looking plump lady sitting behind a counter. She had reddish hair with glasses that were too big for her face. 

"Hello darling, what can i do for you?" she asked sweetly

"Umm, im a new student here and i was told to come to the office." i said nervously.

"Ahh! you must be the new girl in 5b! Yes, Isabella Cho right?" she said excitidly.

"Yep" i smiled.

"I have got 2 girls who have volunteered to show you around the school, they are both in your class. They are just around the corner here, if you would come around here." she pointed to the otherside of the wall. 

I walked around quietly and saw 2 girls sitting on a couch next to the office staff entrance. They were both asian, one looked like a halfie. She had brownish coloured hair, large round eyes that showed kindess, and also chubby cheeks. The other girl also had large round eyes, but they were full of mystery, she was quite pale with pitch black hair running down her back. Both girls were around my height and seemed quite friendly. They both jumped up when they saw me and smiled. The red haired lady in the office popped out and and introduced the 2 girls.

She first pointed to the halfie girl and introduced her as Sharon Maslov. Sharon smiled and said hi. Then she pointed at the other girl and said her name was Anita Adachi. Anita also smiled. The office lady then left us alone to get to know each other. 

"Whats your name?" asked Anita

"Isabella Cho" i said

"Thats a nice name, your korean right?" asked Sharon

"Yeah, what about you guys?" i asked feeling more confident.

"Well both of us were born here, but our parents are from overseas. My parents are Japanese" said Anita

"My mother is from Korea aswell, but my father is a local russian" said Sharon

"Wow, this place is quite multicultural. Ive never met so many different nationalities" 

"Hahaha, theres a lot more you havent seen yet" winked Anita.

We set off towards one of the main buildings. More and more kids were arriving and looking at me. I felt a little uncomfortable and asked Anita and Sharon why.

"Well because this school isnt very big, everyone knows everyone, well seen them around. And your new, so they're interested in the new addition to the school population" explained Sharon.

"Well and also maybe because your stunningly beautiful" said Anita.

I stared at Anita in shock and she just laughed. We continued walking through the school, they showed me the library, canteen area, play grounds, different classrooms and also my locker. Luckily my locker was right between Anita and Sharon's. We actually got on really well. They both seemed happy to hang around me and introduce me to different people. They showed me what books to get for the first few classes and we locked our lockers and walked towards homeroom. Outside homeroom we met a few other girls in the class. Their names were Kate, Lin, Rachel, Sarah and Stephanie. They all seemed quite nice and welcomed me happily to the class. The boys arrived a little after the girls and also introduced themselves. There were Ben, Robert, Adam and James. At that time the doors were unlocked by the caretaker and we were allowed inside. Everyone rushed inside to find their seat. Anita and Sharon showed me to a table behind them with an empty seat next to me. I wondered who would sit there. I could tell that the whole class wasnt here yet as there were still some empty seats. Anita and Sharon started talking about some YouTube videos and tried to ad me into the convo, but i wasnt that interested and had nothing to say. I just sat there and started doodling on my notebook and new diary that Anita gave to me. 

About 5 minutes later i heard Anita say, "Hey Johnny! Look, you've got a new friend! Shes also from Korea! Don't be mean, introduce yourself to her!". I heard the chair next to me scrape agaisnt the ground and someone drop their bag onto the ground and sit down. I looked up and saw a stylish mop of jet black hair. My heart almost jumped out of my chest! It was the boy who lived next door! It was the first time i could actually look closley at his face, he had long oval shaped eyes with pretty double eyelids and long lashes. I couldnt help staring at him. He turned around and looked at me, there was shock in his eyes aswell as he analyzed me head to toe. 

Sharon broke the trance by interupting, "Hey! Izzy (this new nickname was made in the first 10 mins we met), introduce yourself to Johnny!"

I squared my shoulders and looked him directly in the eye, giving him a sweet smile, "Hi, my name is Isabella Cho, nice to meet you"

"Nice to meet you Isabella, my name is Johnny Kim"

That was the end of our convo as the teacher walked into the room. Sharon and Anita immiediately turned around and started giggling. I heard bits of their convo, "OMG..... so cute together!.... I know right.... he totally likes her.... she too!" Somehow i think they were talking about me and my new desk partner. 

The rest of the day went on in a blur, I did introductions to the teacher and class at least 5 times throughout the whole day. Somehow Anita, Sharon and me became the best of friends in the first day, and strange mysterious Johnny Kim didnt talk to me again... well until the last period. 

The last period was music. That day in music an assignment was handed out by the teacher. It was a composing music assignment. It was partner work. Anita  and Sharon tried persuading the teacher to make it groups of 3, but the teacher was insistent. Sharon offered to go in a group with another girl and let me work with Anita, but i didn't want to break their friendship. Soon enough the teacher got annoyed with everyones squabbaling.

"QUIET! If you guys can't behave maturaly i will just put you in groups instead!"

Everyone groaned. But the teacher just ignored us and went about assigning groups. When he came to me the teacher looked around for a suitable partner. I squeezed my eyes shut.

"Johnny! come over here and be Isabella's partner!"

I groaned inwardly and looked up to see Johnny walking quietly from his group of friends to me. We both didnt seem that pleased at the pairing. The teacher told us to sit down on a table and start discussing our project. We sat down, but didnt say anything. We boht just stared at the rest of the class to see what pairing they were put in. Anita was put with a boy called Tommy and Sharon with Lin. Once everyone got their partners and sat down me and Johnny had nothing else to look at so we decided to begin dicussing. 

"So.... are you seriously from Korea?" asked Johnny trying to begin a convo

"Umm yea.. you?" i asked

"Yep, what part you from?" 

"Seoul, you?"

"Same, but my dad was from Busan"

"Ahh cool"

"You good friends with Anita and Sharon?"

"hmm, I guess so. They're really nice to me"

"Hahaha thats good. They're a pair of seriously awsome girls"

"Haha yep, why do you say that?"

He hesitated a second, and i worried that i may have tread on something private. But he took a deep breathe and continued on.

" There was this time when all 3 of us had big brothers. Our big brothers were all really good friends, they did everything together. And sometimes they would take us 3 along. There was this time when our brothers took us on a road trip along the coast. Everyone was having loads of fun. We stopped at a gas station to refill, me, Sharon and Anita went across the road buy some drinks and snacks. When we bought as much as we could carry we headed back. It was quite hot that day and we all wanted to get back into the coolness of the car, but then...." he took a deep breath and continued on, "just when we were about o cross the road, the gas station exploded. Everyone in the gas station died. Including our brothers. Once the emergency team arrived it was too late. They found their bodies, but it was almost unrecognizable. We could only tell them apart from their necklaces." 

From under his shirt Johnny pulled out a gold, chain with a simple gold star hung on it. He turned it around and on the back it had the enitials J.M, M.A and L.K. "James Maslov, Mike Adachi and Lucas Kim" he said. "Anita and Sharon both have the same ones, but their brother's"

I looked over towards Sharon and Anita's groups and saw them laughing happily playing around with their partners. If Johnny didnt't tell me I would never have known something this bad could have happened to them. Their sadness and sorrow must be buried deep within them, not ever letting it out. 

"It happened 2 years ago, from then on us 3 always stay together and have each others backs. We always have our necklaces hidden beneath our clothing. Please dont tell anyone, no one else knows about this. I only told you because you seem like a trustable person, Anita and Sharon seem to trust you aswell. You are the first person they have actually opened up to since the accident"

The bell inturuppted us and we quickly packed up our stuff to leave. Just before Johnny left for his friends I said quietly to him, "Thank you, for trusting me"

He just turned around and walked back to his friends without a backwards glance, hmm back to the cold Johnny Kim. But i thought i saw a smile on the edge of his mouth. With that i found my way back to Sharon and Anita. I happily linked arms with them and walked out. We went back to our lockers to put our things back and then go home. Luckily both of them lived in the same direction as me and we walked home together. On the way home we saw the boys from our class infront of us. Johnny was with them. Also Anita's partner Tommy. 

"ooohh Tommy's over there Ant (Anitas nickname, Sharon's is Shaz)" teased Sharon

"Shutup" shushed Anita.

I stood between them clueless on what was going on. Sharon saw my clueless expression and pulled me aside to explain to me. Anita stomped her foot on the pavement, but waited for us.

"So, from the start of this year Tommy and Anita have become really good friends, he likes her things on FaceBook, he talks to her during class, he invites her out to play etc. Anita doesnt decline his offers, but acutally accepts them!" 

"hahaha! so your saying they fancy each other?" I laughed

"Bingo! Our young Izzy is a smart girl!" said Sharon patting me on the head. 

Anita came over to us and linked arms with me pulling us all to the direction of home. 


"Gawd, dont listen to her Izzy! We're just friends! I swear"

"Alright alright" i laughed. 

At that time Anita and Sharon had reached home. I lived on the next street so i still had to walk. We exchanged numbers and went our separate ways. Johnny was walking in front of me, but he seemed deep in thought so i didnt disturb him. We walked like that all the way home. We both went into our respective houses. 

When i walked in i found grandma knitting on the couch and grandpa watching some tv. They both turned to the sound of me coming home and looked like they were going to ask the same question. They saw the tace of smiles on my face and glee in my eyes and didnt ask anything more. I walked upstairs and plonked down on my bed. 

I smiled, i found a place where i belong...