Welcome To Australia

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Already Taken

I stepped out of the coolness of the plane into the boiling heat of the Southern Hemisphere. Okay, maybe im exagerating a little, it wasnt too hot. But it was hot enough for me to break a sweat under my hoodie and jeans. 

That morning I was dropped off at the airport by my brother KyuHyun. We said our goodbyes and he left for his next schedule. All the other S.M artists sent me text messages and phoned me instead becuase they were too busy. Yes, you might be thinking, a 10 year old travelling by herself to another country with a mobile phone! To be exact it was an iPhone :) But I only just got it recently and its only for my trip to Australia. I can call back to anyone of my fello S.M artists, friends or family. I recieved over 60 messages that very day from various friends and aritists. 

Finally arriving at my destination, Melbourne, Australia. a 10 hour flight from Seoul. I walked through customs and baggage collection with curious eyes. Everything was so new to me. Luckily english class was a compulsury subject since my first day in S.M. and i was fluent in the language. Reading, writing, speaking and listening all included. Just for the record i was also fluent in Korean, Japanese and Chinese. What can i say, S.M really wanted me to be multi talented. 

I grabbed my luggage and went through baggage check. With everything done i was finally able to walk through the doors that would bring me to the real Melbourne Australia. 

It was too much to take in all at once! So many people waiting for their family and friends. I wondered who would be waiting for me? S.M told me that they would have a sign saying my name. I didnt see any signs sticking out of the crowd with my name, so i made my way down the walkway away from the crowds. I found a corner near a phone booth at the end of the walkway and parked my luggage there waiting. 

Not far from me was a family of 5 that was reunited with their dad. It seemed like their dad just came from a long trip. They had flowers and cards waiting for him, when he came near they all ran to him squeezing him tight and crying with joy. My eyes filled with tears thinking of my own family. Would my family ever be like that? would i ever get to have the chance to hug my own father tight and cry into his shoulder, hugging him tightly and never letting him go... Tears started rolling down my face and i tried to wipe them away hastily with my hoodie sleave. 

Just then an old Australian couple walked up to me holding a sign with my name, "Cho HyeRim" written across it. They looked at me hesitantly, not knowing if i could speak english or not. I wiped away the last few tear marks on my face bowed and smiled towards them. I said in fluent english, "Hello, My name is Cho HyeRim, but you may call me Isabella Cho"

The couple smiled with glee as they have finally found the girl they were looking for. The man said, "Hello, my name is Peter, and this is my wife Lisa," he gestured towards his wife, "You can call us Grandpa and Grandma if you wish, but that is up to you. We shall be you foster family for the next year and a half"

"Thank you so much for accepting me into your family" and i bowed again.

"Its no problem, its our pleaseure. Now if you will follow me to our car and i shall take you home"

"Thank You, lead the way"

We set off to the underground car park and towards their car. The car was quite old, and the color was slightly faded, but it was classical. The car was kept clean and tidy without any scratches on it. Grandpa helped me put my suitcase into the trunk and we set off. In the car the old couple were very friendly and nice to me, asking questions about things backhome and my life, with all my friends as such. They already knew about me being a trainee with S.M Entertainment and they were forbidden to tell anyone about me. Because if i debuted with success, people could find out bad things about my past that the company might've wanted to keep secret. Anyway, the couple were surprised when they asked about my family and i had very little to say. But they were polite and didnt press further. 

When we got to their home it was just like the ones i saw in movies. Their house was made of a reddish toned brick. There was a large front porch at the front with a rocking chair and a coffee table. In the front yard there was this HUGE tree that seemed to be 3 times me in width. I stared at it in amazement as i have never seen a tree this big. Grandpa and grandma laughed at my reaction and said i was cute. 

I grabbed my suitcase from the trunk and followed Grandma inside. She opened the door with an old fashioned key. On the door steph there was a cute rug with "Welcome Home" written across it. I smiled and stepped inside. The inside was nothing like the outside, the outside seemed old fashioned and cute, but on the inside it was a whole other house. It seemed like the house went through some serious renovation. Grandma smiled at my reaction and said, "Yeah, many people have the same reaction, what can you say, our son was a keen interior designer." I laughed at her little joke and appreciated the way she tried to make me fit in. 

She walked me around the house and showed me all the rooms, on the first floor there was the kitchen, living room, bathroom, dining room and a smaller study room. She showed me up to the second floor and first showed me to my room. My room was at the end of the hallway. When i opened the door i was stunned, it seemed just like the one i had at home! i turned around to grandma with a hundred questions in my eyes. She just looked at me and laughed, "Your brother is such a nice caring child, once he heard who was looking after you he immiediately called us, even though it took a little while with the language barrier, he pretty much told us everything about you! He even emailed over a check of money and a photo of your room back home. Me and Peter went to buy all the things with the money from the cheque and arranged it. We thought it might make you feel less lonley and more at home"

I felt so touched, my hand went up to the necklace under my hoodie, i gripped it in my hand and whispered "Thank You"

"Thank You grandma! I love it, Thank you to grandpa aswell. i know it must have been hard work setting everything up. i promise that i wont be nuisence, i will help witht the house chores and clean up after myself, you wont even know im here! trust me!"

"Hahaha, its okay darling Isabella, part of the reason we accepted you into our home is becuase we miss having a child around the house, our children have all grown up and moved out, we feel lonley. So dont you dare try and be invisible! We want you here with us!"

Grandma pulled me into a tight hug and kissed my forehead gently. 

"Welcome to Australia my darling Isabella..." she whispered.