Letting go

Love On a Farm?! I Don't Think So...

-knock knock-

I jumped in shock and closed the laptop shut as a reflex. Eunhyuk, you’re dead meat once I get to you!
Was I ready to open the door now? I sighed, I had to leave this room once and I was really hungry. I could ask Yesung to cook again, his last attempt had tasted surprisingly good, which made Shindong say that he might have discovered a new talent. And when Shindong says the food is good… well… that means something!
I took the key from the bedside table and unlocked the door, expecting it to be Leeteuk or Eunhyuk. But I was wrong and looked straight in the face of Joonho. That face I hadn’t seen for years…

“Y-you’re here…” I stuttered and swallowed the big lump in my throat.

“Nayoung, can we talk for a minute?”

“Well I…” I started.

“I need to talk to you.” He opened the door and invited himself a little rudely. “I know you don’t like to talk to me but you have to believe me. What happened years ago was a mistake!”

I blankly stared at him and let his words penetrate my mind. I wasn’t able to do much more. Is he saying that I made a mistake?

“What you thought about how I thought about you that time was right. Sohee set us up and she’s sorry for that, Nayoung!” Joonho blinked a few times, waiting for me to reply.

I was pinned to the ground and overwhelmed by the things he said and the situation. He changed a lot; he was much taller than me now and muscular, more than Leeteuk and Eunhyuk. He lost the last bit of baby fat in his cheeks and his dimples he used to have when he was younger. He grew out his hair which was from ear to end of neck length now and it was dyed brown. He wore a ridiculous amount of clothes which was obvious not because of coldness – since it was summer, and there was no electronic fan – but just because they were all branded and he needed to show off... He was never like that before.
I didn’t think I would recognize him if he didn’t say my name.

“From your puzzled look I can see you don’t understand anything that I say.” He chuckled. I didn’t know what was so funny.

“Let’s sit and talk!” He practically took my hands and settled me in the nearest chair. Then he closed the door and started his monologue about our times together. His enthusiasm confused me but after a while his expression suddenly hardened and his tone sounded serious.

“Do you remember when I asked you out through Sohee that night?” His voice broke and he stopped talking there.

I felt what was coming; he was going to tell me that everything was a misunderstanding and that Sohee had been the same person she was right now, right?

“Nayoung, I waited all night for you! Can’t you see…? I went to town that Saturday morning and bought candles, I collected your favourite flowers in the garden, I cooked for you in the afternoon and made kimbap, I took the picnic with me and waited all night, but you wouldn’t come… That night I was certain about your feelings, the next morning I left for town. I was determined to never come back and look after you…”

“Stop!” I cut him off; he didn’t have to say more. The picture was clear for me. “I waited for you on the Sunday, the day after.” Tears were stinging my eyes, threatening to come down. Sohee, the person I thought loved me the most hated me to the fullest.

“But why? Why did she do that?”

“Nayoung, I know that you hate her but she called me a few days ago and admitted she was wrong, now that she has met you again she finally realizes she has made a big mistake. I know it’s hard but… sometimes we have to forgive and forget.” Joonho bit his underlip. “She’s feeling really sorry, Nayoung. Maybe because she has met up with you again and realizes the person you really are. Think about it, that time, I was her only brother and friend. Us three were besties, she might have been afraid to lose her only friends.”

I stopped a moment to think about what he said; could it be that Sohee has really changed? If it was true, should I try to forgive her?
Then, out of nowhere, Joonho hugged me.

“I missed you Nayoung.”

My first instinct was to wrap my arms around the now crying Joonho, but they felt numb and stayed at my side. This guy… he felt like a stranger.
Then out of nowhere Joonho went down on his knees. “Nayoung, I know we haven’t seen each other for a long time but my heart has never changed, I’m a wealthy man now, I can give you a fortunate future…” He held up his hand and with the other he reached for his pocket and fumbled it.
I gasped as I realized what he was trying to do. I reached forward and stopped him from taking his hand out of his pocket. On the other hand I didn’t know what was happening to ME. All of a sudden I started crying. I’ve cried so much lately…

“Please listen to me Nayoung… I was there when you were born, we’ve grown up together and now we’ve reached the age… I can’t let our fate take different directions over something so small that happened years ago. Something we both couldn’t do anything about...Do you understand? I want to spend the rest of my life WITH you...”

[Leeteuk’s POV]

What did she mean with “you’re going to run away just like the others!”? I’m sure it has something to do with that Joonho guy. I’m absolutely positive he’s a bad guy! All the evidence is there; first he scolds his sister “Will you shut up for once?!”That’s not how you treat your younger dongsaengs. Then Nayoung didn’t want to talk to him, not even see him. She ran away with tears in her eyes good gracious! Then she starts to act all hysterically when I ask her if he did something bad to her in the past. She had me thinking he had her or something… I don’t understand how Sohee could just let him go into Nayoung’s room like that; for her friend’s sake, she’s too nice to her brother.
Then another voice in my mind took over, why are you just sitting there Park Leeteuk? You’ve had enough of this crap, go help Nayoung. Protect her…

Steadfastly I stood up from the couch. Sohee shot worried glances at me as I marched out of the living room and up the stairs. I headed to Nayoung’s room but somebody was following me. Just when I was about to barge in the room, Sohee took my hand and held me back. I felt anger raging, but I needed to remain the calm me.
Then instantly I knew why Sohee had held me back when I heard what was going on inside.

“Nayoung, I know we haven’t seen each other for a long time but my heart has never changed, I’m a wealthy man now, I can give you a fortunate future…”

He was proposing?! I heard sniffling sounds. They were coming from Nayoung. Is she crying from happiness? Girls usually cry during this, right? At least, they do in the movies… Aish! How could I know?! I didn’t have any experience with THIS…?

“Please listen to me Nayoung… I was there when you were born, we’ve grown up together and now we’ve reached the age… I can’t let our fate take different directions over something so small that happened years ago. Something we both couldn’t do anything about...Do you understand? I want to spend the rest of my life WITH you...”

I was speechless and indecisive. My heart wanted to go into the room and interrupt, stop this… I was better for her. I’ve tried to get to her ever since I’ve met her. But my mind said I only wished I was better... “You’re going to run away…” Her words repeated in my mind over and over again.
Maybe it turns out you’re right after all Nayoung… I AM going to run away. I’m an idol, an international star, what can I do? I don’t have anything to offer. You can’t have me: I’m always shared by so many people, and money is also something you would never be after.
From now on, I will leave you alone, no matter how hard it will be for me…
I walked downstairs to get back to my members.

[Nayoung’s POV]

“No…” I let out, finally being able to speak after a minute of crying. “Sorry, but no… I can’t do it.”
Joonho looked up and sighed. “I was hoping not to hear this…”
“Sorry, just, it has been such a long time. There has been happening too much…”
“Is it too long?”Joonho looked hopefully. He stood up from the ground and sat beside me in the big chair.
I nodded and looked down. “I’m sorry…” I said without turning my head to him. I hated hurting someone that didn’t deserve it.
“It’s alright, let’s just be friends then, let’s not make it awkward through this…” Joonho said.
“You STILL want to be friends?” I looked at him incredulous. Wasn’t he hurt at all? How strong was he…?
“Of course I would… I mean, it can’t be like the old days as if we’re little kids.” He chuckled, “but I’m willing to wait for you, if it takes years, I will do it…”
Please don’t do that… I was telling him in my mind, it will make things harder. But I was afraid of hurting him even more and kept my mouth shut. He stood up and ruffled my hair a little, and then he left the room.
Joonho, I don’t know if I will change…

[Leeteuk’s POV]

I looked at the sky; it was dark which indicated it was going to rain AGAIN. How could it change that abruptly? I stood up from the path outside their house and walked inside. From this moment I’ll be the happy Leeteuk again, the guy you know.

After a few hours we sat at the dining table. Joonho and Sohee had gone home, or to their grandmother’s house.
Everyone was quiet; everyone knew what was going on…
Shindong didn’t mention how good the food tasted, even though Yesung had made it. Sungmin didn’t show his excitement over the bibs as usual, Eunhyuk and Donghae didn’t talk to each other. Kangin had nothing to say either and kept on staring at me worriedly. Even Heechul didn’t talk about the concert he was planning to give…

But the fact that Nayoung was also silent kind of surprised me. Aren’t girls supposed to be happy when someone has proposed? Even if they haven’t sorted out their feelings yet…? Or could it be that she really said no…
What are you doing Park Leeteuk?! If I’m going to let her go, then I shouldn’t even think about these things. I continued eating quietly.

At the end of dinner Nayoung suddenly did speak up. “Ah yeah… Eunhyuk, when is your manager going to deliver a new electronic fan?!” She asked

I almost spit out my food. So she found out? Eunhyuk got caught? How?

Eunhyuk looked at me with big round eyes.

“I didn’t say anything!” I let out and raised my hand. Then I realized I made a mistake there.

“Say what?!” Nayoung turned from Eunhyuk to me and glared.

“What’s going on here?” Kangin muttered to Heechul who smirked but clearly didn’t understand anything either.

[Nayoung’s POV]

“Anyways… forget it,” I let out and turned back to Eunhyuk. It felt uncomfortable looking at Leeteuk as I remembered what he said yesterday about me needing love.

“YOU BROKE MY FAN, HOW DARE YOU NOT TELL ME!” I yelled at Eunhyuk and hit the table with my hand. All the Super Junior members now gasped as they looked at Eunhyuk who seemed extremely uncomfortable, which was strangely amusing…

I decided to exaggerate things a little. “Yah! Is that why you were so nice all the time?!” I continued. Eunhyuk in his usual place beside me was leaning away; afraid I would do the same thing to him as I did to the table.

“I’m really sorry Nayoung…” Eunhyuk then stood up from his chair, sat down on his knees and bowed.

“Can I punish him?” Kangin asked as everyone started laughing.

“…And didn’t I tell you to not touch my stuff?!” I asked sternly. I decided to drag this just a little further.

“Hey, I’m sure he’s not the only one who touches other people’s stuff…” Leeteuk noted while giving me looks.

Seriously, that guy…