Listen

Anything

GERALD.

“O anak, bakit ang aga mo? Don’t you have a session to go to?”

Mrs. Anderson observed her son, he was flushed, red in the face and he had swollen eyes, it was a mother’s instinct to know what was going on with her son. She rushed to her son’s side and placed her arms around his shoulders.

“O, ano ngyari sa iyo? Umiyak ka ba?”

“…di po.”

Gerald said in an inaudible tone as he rubbed his hands across his face.

“Pagod lang po ako…”

Gerald’s mother let her son go and watched him walk up the stairs with a slouched back and misty eyes; she needed to speak to Kim.

KIM.


Kim took the rest of the day off, she desperately needed it after what she had heard and witnessed from Gerald, she rubbed her face in frustration as she sat in her office. What was she going to do with Gerald? He needed someone better, someone that could handle him, she knew it was only the second session and she also knew it was too early to back out from it. She also remembered what Gerald said…

“Just give up on me, like the rest of them did.”

No. She was not going to give up on him, she was somewhat determined to make Gerald better, she felt sorry for him, and thought that it was a shame that someone so good looking and someone so intelligent could waste their life just like that. She stood up and grabbed her car keys; she was going to the Anderson residence.

KIMERALD.

Mrs. Anderson was not sure if she had the right to call Kim, she had the phone in her hand, ready to call, until the doorbell rang. She rushed to the front door to see Kim; she looked very tired and apprehensive in a way.

“Good afternoon po, I believe Gerald is a little upset right now, can I please attempt to speak to him?”

Mrs. Anderson could only smile at the woman standing before her, she didn’t know what to say, so she told Kim that Gerald was in his room, and to go straight up stairs whenever she was ready, Kim was left alone, as Mrs. Anderson had left the house to buy her groceries.

“Ah… Kim, aalis muna ako, pakisabi nalang kay Gerald, salamat talaga Kim, you have no idea how much it means to me that you have not given up on my son, thank you so much.”

Kim could only smile a small smile as she watched Mrs. Anderson walk out the front door, Kim felt even more uneasy as she glanced around the family room, seeing the house full of pictures of a woman and Gerald. Kim suspected that the beautiful woman was the “SHE” Gerald was talking about earlier that day. Kim couldn’t believe it, no wonder why he couldn’t get over her, she was everywhere!  Kim slowly made her way up the stairs; even up stairs the walls were filled. Kim’s eyes widened at how many pictures she could see, the house was like a shrine. She walked towards a bedroom, she assumed it was Gerald’s as it was the only room closed, she gently knocked, and got no response, she then gently called his name, but no response again, she decided to take the latter and open the door, she lightly pushed the door open and saw Gerald lying down in his bed, Kim took a breath and quietly walked towards the bed.

“Gerald…”

Gerald was awake, his eyes were open, and he could hear her, he just chose not to respond, nonetheless he decided to sit up, but still avoid any of her questions.

“…Isn’t my next session next week? Why are you here?”

Was his only harsh reply. Kim sat on the bed beside him and placed a hand on his, she offered him a gentle smile.

“Gerald, I want to help you, please let me do that. I’m sorry for prying… I promise I will let you open up whenever you’re ready…”

Gerald glanced up at Kim, who still had her hand on his; she was still smiling her gentle smile, making him very uncomfortable.

“Listen Gerald, I think I know what your problem is, but I want to hear it from you, I don’t want to assume and then be wrong, I want to be sure, I want to hear it from you yourself, I came here because I couldn’t stop thinking about you, and your problem, I was on the brink of giving up on you, but I feel as if I have an obligation to be able to help you, an obligation to be here for you.”

Gerald felt a tear rush down his cheek, he gently squeezed her hand, and whispered a thank you.