Curious

Anything

GERALD.

That evening Gerald did not sleep again, the eye bags beneath his eyes were becoming more and more obvious,  the next morning his mother rushed down the stairs, asking him to get ready, but he did not turn her way when she entered the room. His eyes were focused on the picture frame in his hands.

“I loved her ma, I really did…”

A tear fell from his eyes to the picture frame; he closed his eyes, his fingers slowly tracing the picture.

“I know anak, I know you did, you did your best Ge.”

Gerald took in a heavy breath and he placed a shaking hand on his eyes, wiping away his tears.

“But the best was obviously not enough for her, I should have done better, I should have tried harder!”

He was frustrated with himself, as far as he knew, he was a failure, but no one else seemed to think that, everyone else looked at Gerald as “a blessed man” he had the brains, the looks and most importantly the HEART to succeed in life, but he gave that up, he gave up his life for a woman that did not care about him.

“Gerald, you need to understand that some people will not be by your side FOREVER, there is no such thing as FOREVER. She left you, yet you continue to cry over her, you continue to ruin your life, rather than do something and move forward. Gerald, you have greater things ahead of you, please consider that, and consider the people around you anak, we say this because we care for you, we do these things because we love you, please understand. You should get ready too, the appointment I was talking to you about starts at three; it’s already one, shower and get dressed.”

Gerald’s mom had been keeping in that speech for so long, she had wanted to say it so long ago, but was too afraid of making her son get worse. She sighed and kissed her 24 yr old son on the forehead, he was an adult, but has not been acting like it for the past year or so, he was to turn 25 soon, and his mom wanted him better before then.

Gerald was left on the armchair, thinking deeply about what his mother said, he heard everything, but didn’t want to show he was affected by it.

--

Gerald and his mother had arrived at the hospital at 2:50; they sat down near the main office where many patients were still waiting, Mrs. Anderson grabbed a magazine and Gerald just sat down on the chair, exploring the place with his curious eyes.

“Anak, thank you for cooperating with me”

Gerald just gave a slow nod and looked around the place; he had not been out of the house for so long, he forgot what it was like to be out. He heard an echo of heels passing through the hall, his curious eyes looking towards the hall, where he could hear the woman coming closer.  He had his head bent low, and his hands were resting on his legs, when he saw the long legs that carried the black heels, he looked up at the face who was staring back at him, she had long black hair, a Chinese like face, in fact she looked so much like a doll, she looked fragile, breakable; he just stared at her, curious and at the same time interested at this intriguing woman in front of him, she was looking at her watch, but he could see her brown eyes, peeking up from her watch, he found himself lost in her eyes, she had a slight resemblance to his ex… after a while he saw a confused look on the woman’s face, she turned away from him and walked towards the front desk, he wondered why she was at the same place he was at, she didn’t look like she had any issues.


--

KIM.

Kim smiled her cheerful smile as she walked through the building, she looked at the waiting patients and greeted them all, all of them wanting to see Kim. As Kim checked her watch she glanced at an untried patient and her eyes could not avoid the man’s strong and piercing gaze, she found herself gazing at his deep, brown, meaningful eyes. Kim cleared her head and continued walking, disturbed that she had most likely spent TO MUCH time staring at him, and she still had many errands to run. Kim rushed towards the front desk where Jane was.

“Jane, do you know who that man is? There’s nothing wrong, it’s just I haven’t seen him around here before…”

Kim drifted as her eyes found him among the many people sitting patiently, she glanced at Jane again and Jane gave her a knowing smile.

“Ms Chiu, I believe that’s Gerald Anderson.”

“Gerald Anderson? That name… I have seen that name before!”

Jane giggled behind her paper, she checked on the computer screen for Kim’s upcoming appointments. Jane smiled again at Kim.

“Ms Chiu he is your 3:00”

--

KIM AND GERALD

“Gerald Anderson”

Kim called from her office door, Gerald’s mom glanced up, as did Gerald, he looked at the woman that had just called his name; it was the woman he was staring at earlier, so she didn’t have an issue she was his doctor. Kim put on a smile and waited for the pair to walk towards her, Gerald’s mother smiled at Kim and walked into Kim’s office first whilst Gerald followed; as Kim stood by the door, Gerald passed her with a consequential look and a  slight smile, the first HALF smile he had ever smiled since the break up. Kim could only smile in return; she followed them into her office and shut the door.

“Good afternoon, Mrs. Anderson, Gerald”

Gerald nodded again and Mrs. Anderson gave Kim a small smile as she returned the greeting.

“Thank you so much Doctor for having us in today.”

Kim glanced at Gerald who had an acute look on his face, he was staring at her, making Kim self conscious, she stuttered a response.

“Uh...—um yes… my pleasure Mrs. Anderson, what can I do for Gerald? It seems as if his not in his BEST shape at the moment”

Kim tried to avoid any eye contact with Gerald, but it was going to be hard, especially since Gerald’s mom was offering to leave so she could leave them alone to talk about his issues.

“No Mrs. Anderson, it’s very much okay that you’re in here with Gerald, you don’t need to leave.”

--

KIM AND GERALD

They were now alone in her office, no words were being exchanged, only curious stares being exchanged between one another, Kim could no longer take the silence; she broke it by asking him certain questions.

“So… Gerald, why are you here?”

Gerald smirked but nonetheless replied in one short sentence, no detail in his answer, just three words, well five if you included the “and” and the “a”.

“Depressed, ruined, and a mess”

Kim was now officially curious.