Like a Child

Anything

GERALD.

Gerald was somewhat eager for that next session to come sooner; he didn’t know why he was so fervent about it, was it that he wanted to forget his ex? Or was it for a totally irrelevant reason?

This morning his mind was not on his ex, but on that beautiful doll like doctor of his; Kimberly Chiu. He was intrigued, how could someone so beautiful, so delicate, be so ordinary? He would’ve thought of her as an actress, or a model in fact, not a doctor.  He did not know why this woman was on his mind, and he didn’t know whether he liked another woman invading his mind apart from his ex.

“You look like you’re in deep thought over there, you alright?”

Gerald just nodded at his mother who came up behind him and placed a kiss on his forehead. He wondered what Kimberly could be doing at this time of day?

--

KIM.

It was 11 in the morning, and her day off from work, as she sat up in bed she opened one of her many diaries and began a diary entry, it had been such a long time since the last time she wrote one- exactly 3 months.

She began to write about her interesting encounter with a new patient the day before, indeed it was Gerald Anderson, ever since Gerald’s mother had called her up, her mind had been thinking non-stop about Gerald, she was very curious as to what this handsome face was hiding from her.

--

SECOND SESSION: Second Meeting.

It had been approximately a week or so since their very first meeting, Kim was rather down as her roommate had not spoken to her ever since she put him off, whilst Gerald on the other hand was rather excited, he had been pondering and wondering about this woman for a while now, and he was most definitely intrigued, as was she.

Gerald’s mother still had an errand to run for her job, so Gerald was to attend the session alone, he arrived that afternoon at the hospital alone, with great difficulty, he almost lost his way but eventually found the route to the hospital, he walked in, feeling very awkward, as if he wasn’t comfortable being alone, his wondering eyes made him look very lost, causing nurses and patients to stare, of course they asked if he needed help, but he only replied with a simple shake of his head, he took in a deep breath as he scanned the many floors of the hospital, looking for the right floor and the right reception, as he continued to search, he happened to walk past the nursery, his body was stationary as he stood at the foot of a hospital room door, watching a mother, and father entertain the baby in the mother’s arms, how he wished he had a family of his own, a family to love and a family to care for, that was all he really wanted.

“Uh… Mr. Anderson?”

Startled, Gerald turned around to face the familiar voice, Kimberly Chiu.

“I was just about to go to my other patient; I thought you weren’t going to show up… are you lost?”

Gerald shook his head still a little startled at her presence.

“Okay… well since you’re here, we might as well begin your session although it’s already quiet late.”

Gerald cleared his throat, turning his head back at the family he was staring at before Kim had startled his thoughts.

“Is there something wrong Gerald?”

Gerald shook his head again and checked his watch, he didn’t notice the time, and it WAS quiet late, 15 minutes to be exact, he sighed and Kim looked at him curiously whilst gently taking his arm.

“Gerald, I’m on the third floor, we are on the sixth, if you would still like to start your session, please tell me so, if not, then you are more than welcome to stay and ponder some more, or you are free to leave.”

Gerald just nodded his head again and looked at the perfectly manicured fingernails that were holding his arm; she was a living, breathing doll to him.

“…are you sure?”

A quiet voice said from behind Kim, she glanced at Gerald and flashed him a smile.

“Why of course Gerald, I’m here to help, it’s my job.”

Gerald took in a deep intake of breath and spoke again.

“…it’s just that I think I’m putting you behind your schedule so –“

He was interrupted with a gentle smile.

“Thank you for being so considerate, but its fine, I will just ask another doctor to tend to my other patients.”

Kim was very much surprised, he spoke, and rather politely, he wasn’t that bad at all. Gerald was quiet the rest of the way to her room, he just followed quietly, glancing around the hospital some more.

They soon arrived at Kim’s room, she let him into her room and excused herself, Gerald sat down on the chair opposite Kim’s waiting patiently for Kim’s return. Gerald thought about the family he saw before, they acted so loving to each other, to their baby, he wanted to experience that, he wanted to experience looking after something so precious and fragile. Kim soon came back to see Gerald’s mind someplace else, he seemed to be in deep thought, he didn’t even notice she had come back. She watched him, his eyes so deep in thought, that she could SEE what he was thinking, she smiled, he was so vulnerable and gentle, yet she felt so sorry for him, she did not even know what his problem was, by the time Gerald was back to his normal self again, he could see a smiling Kim in front of him, she smiled again when he ducked his head, as if to be so shy, like a child.

“I’m glad you could make it.”

Gerald nodded again and Kim took out Gerald’s documents, she cleared as she placed a strand of hair behind her ear, Gerald caught a glimpse of her beautiful neck, so long, slender and very flawless, much like the rest of her skin, he took in a breath, smelling the floral scent that seemed to be coming from Kim, his eyes were fixed on her, she was a wonder to him.

“So Gerald, firstly if you’re willing to tell me, I’d like to know what your problem is, the first session didn’t go very well, and I barely got a word out of you, so hopefully this session goes a little better, don’t you agree?”

Gerald answered a barely audible yes, but waited for what else Kim had to say.

“Gerald, I won’t be able to help you, if you’re not willing to open up to me. I’m a doctor, a specialist, and a psychiatrist, though I am very young, and most of those are not in the same category, I will just say my parents, pushed me very far as a child.”

Gerald could then see sadness in her eyes; maybe he should just tell her what’s going through his mind.

“…She left me.”

Kim could see unhappiness in his eyes, in the way he spoke. His voice was not as rough as the first time they met, but very gentle and very soft.

“Who did, Gerald?”

“…She left me, for being imperfect, for not being good enough. I did everything I could, but everything was not enough, every day I scold myself about her, every day my mind is spinning circles around her.”

Kim was very much interested in whom “SHE” was; Kim could see a mix of emotions on Gerald’s face; distress and anger were the main emotions she could see.

“But Gerald, how do you feel about this? Are you upset? Are you distressed?”

“I’m angry at myself! I’m angry because I didn’t try hard enough to keep her! I’m upset because I know I could have tried harder, I could have been stronger! I knew I could, but I didn’t do anything about it! I didn’t do anything to improve our relationship, and before I knew it, it was over, and all because of me!”

Kim had teary eyes at what she was seeing, this man was lonely and bruised on the inside, he was torn apart and she could hear despair in the way he spoke.

Gerald was very much upset, he had tears rushing down his face, and he knew it was a bad idea coming alone.

“I-I need to go…”

Gerald left the room abruptly, rushing to the car park, not wanting to look back. Kim could only call his name, but knew he would not return; she sat down in her chair, silent, and clueless with what to do next, she could only stare at the chair Gerald was sitting at before, and recollect the beautiful image of him thinking so deeply, before breaking into tears.