The Phone Call

Anything

“Dr Chiu, you have a very important call on line one.”

Kim turned her head towards the door, where the receptionist was standing. Kim was in the middle of typing one of her many patients’ medical information.

“Is it really that important Jane?”

The receptionist submissively nodded and Kim sighed, she picked up the phone on her desk and pressed the Line One button.

“Dr Kimberly Sue Chiu speaking, to whom am I speaking to?”

Kim could hear a woman crying in desperation, she was weeping and was clearly very worried, or upset about something.

“Ms Kim, please help my son…”

Kim could only give sympathy to this woman at the other end of the phone; she hadn’t even heard the situation the boy was in, but she could already sense it was worse than most cases.

“I’d love to help in any way possible… can I have your details please, and tomorrow we shall have our first session together, with your son, as it will be easier for me to assess his physical and mental issues before I start the weekly checkups with him.”

Kim nodded at everything being said to her, her pen furiously marking down the many details being given to her.

“3pm would be the perfect time; you already know the address to the hospital, so I will see you and your son tomorrow, thank you so much.”

That evening after the call, she began to wonder what the problem was, as it sounded very severe after all, she checked her papers for the name of her patient, so that the following day, she would know who she was dealing with.

GERALD RANDOLPH OPSIMA ANDERSON JR.

“You have an appointment tomorrow, you need to be there.”

Gerald rolled his eyes, he was once the perfect child; mama’s boy perhaps. He was very active as a child, and was active before the heavy breakup, he was into what every normal boy was into, basketball, football, soccer, any sport at all, Gerald was good at, the key word being WAS; after everything that happened, Gerald did not want to get out of the house, he did not even want to get up in the morning, for others, the way to get over someone would be to drink and party, for Gerald that was not the case, in fact he did not even want to get over this girl, she was his first love, the one he really loved, she wasn’t just a fling, she was who he wanted to marry, who he wanted to love for the rest of his life, but she obviously did not want the same thing.

“What’s the point? They always give up on me in the end.”

His mother could only let out more tears, her son was a mess, and she wanted the old GERALD back