Chapter 3

Back to you

Taecyeon's hands were fidgety because he didn't know what to do with them. Nervous energy poured from him in waves, he couldn't keep quiet. He looked around and didn't see his friends. He was sure Junho wouldn't come being a stubborn creature he was, but the others surprised him somehow.

He thought Chansung was making a mistake. A big one, like a big ing trainwreck waiting to happen. Why? He wasn't sure he loved her. But a friend is a friend, and you support them no matter what.

He looked at his best friend. Chansung looked distant, lost in another world. But that’s how Chansung is. 2PM's youngest lived inside his head sometimes, in his own universe of reflection. For Taecyeon, he thinks way too much, but he couldn't blame him for the way he was, sensitive, always careful about what he would do and say to people.

“Listen, I want to ask you something.” They walked to the altar. He finally spilled what he wanted to say since he arrived, but the tension didn't leave his shoulders. Chansung squinted his eyes, looking alert and suspicious.

“Go ahead,” he said warily.

“It's about 2PM,” Taecyeon said, almost afraid of Chansung's reaction. Their former band still caused them pain and regret, but in Taecyeon's opinion, it was the best thing that ever happened in his life. In their lives.

He regretted going to America to pursue a solo rap career. Sure, he wanted freedom, artistic and otherwise. He wanted to be free from success' tentacles, always stopping him from making the music he liked, from being who he wanted to be, from walking freely, from dating who he wanted.

Back then, he was so busy thinking about the things he wanted he forgot to fight for what he already had. If he was honest, he didn’t want 2PM anymore. Not that way it was offered to him, incomplete and damaged. A mere subunit that lost half of its soul. The proposition to go on without Chansung, Wooyoung and Minjun was preposterous, laughable. So he left without looking back.

But regardless of everything that went down, 2PM was his most treasured possession and it took its loss to make him realize it. He wished he fought harder for their band, he wished he fought harder for his loving brothers. But it wasn’t too late.

“What about it,” his friend said after a long pause. He looked around, smiling occasionally. But Taecyeon knew Chansung and this was his fake smile. His mouth would curl up and he would show some teeth, but his heart wasn't on it. He fiddled with his tie, like it was choking him. Well, he guessed a wedding would do that you. Marriage was a choking ceremony celebrated by a priest and with your friends watching and laughing at your stupidity.

“This is not the place, we’ll talk later.” He was dying to talk to Chansung and make him an ally in a battle he was sure would be hard. But his friend looked so nervous and anxious. He could wait a little longer.

Chansung deserved this moment of happiness. After his scandal, he went to the military in a rush. He was abandoned by JYPE and some fans. It took a lot of time to overcome the distress he went over those long months of hateful messages and company's abandonment. So he decided to let him have this moment to himself, although he looked far from happy.

“Chansungie, you look very tense. Are you sure about this?” He finally asked. It was no use to beat around the bush anymore so he asked what was on his mind. He knew the answer, but it was his duty to ask.

“Yes, I'm sure. Why?”

“You know why. We both do.” Everyone thought Ok Taecyeon was a babo, a troll. But they didn't count on him being so observant and alert. He knew about Junho and Chansung, aka, chanho. He caught the longing stares, the heavy atmosphere, their occasional distance from each other. There was something between them and he would be so dumb not to notice.

“I think you are making a mistake,” he confessed. “But I'm here for you the same.”

“Thanks, hyung. It means a lot,” he said, grinning. He gave Taecyeon the first sincere smile and it warmed him. He thought of Chansung, long haired and immature when they met, thought of the path he overcame to become this man in front of him. He engulfed him in a bear hug, suddenly emotional to think of how they were and are now. His friend giggled like a small child, for the first time showing he was the maknae, forever the youngest in his mind.

When Chansung finally loosened up a bit, a man approached them on the altar looking completely distressed. Chansung looked worried, like doom was about to happen.

“Sir. I have bad news,” the man said with a frown. “The bride ran away. She is not coming,” he added after some suspense.

Chansung took a deep breath, his nostrils flaring like they always did when he was extremely pissed off. He got down from the altar and walked the aisle, not sparing a glance to anyone in the wedding hall. Taecyeon followed, giving Chansung's parents a visual assurance he would take care of him. He ran to catch up with his friend and reached him when he was waiting for the valet to get his car.

“Where are you going?” he shouted and grabbed Chansung's arm. Right at that moment, he felt like he was being watched. He looked around, but didn't see anyone.

“I'm going to look for her, what else?” He looked ruthless and angry, and there was no way in hell Taecyeon would let him drive.

“No, you are not going to talk to her, let alone drive in that state.”

“Let me go, hyung,” he tried to disentangle himself from Taecyeon's grasp, but he couldn't. Best thing about being a failure is that you have infinite time to work out. He was strong like a bull, thanks much to, ironically, CS Gym.

“We are going to my house and we are going to talk. After you calm down, you call her.” He looked like he was about to resist, but finally caved.


After a tensed silence in the car, they arrived at Taecyeon's house. It was a big two story place, loft style. It looked fancy and expensive. Bought with the money he got from 2PM, it was a sign of extravagance he had in the old days, pieces of modernist furniture and art pieces scattered around.

“Sit down, please.” Chansung looked around impatiently, but finally caved, sitting down with a thud. He looked defeated, his shoulders heavy. He closed his eyes and tried to calm his respiration.

“Before I let you talk to her, I gotta ask you something and I want you to be completely honest.”

“Okay,” he said grudgingly. He knew he didn't want to talk, but it was a necessary evil.

“Do you love her?” The question caught Chansung by surprise because he opened his eyes suddenly. He opened his mouth and closed several times. When he was about to talk, Taecyeon made a motion for him to stop. “Don't bother lying. I'm your hyung. Be honest with me, otherwise I will be mad. We are friend for years, Chansung. For more than a decade. So don't bull me.”

If it was only possible, Chansung would have buried himself deeper in the coach. “I like her enough, hyung.”

“Wow, from the way you talk I'm actually happy she dropped your .”

“Yah, hyung. How can you talk like that?”

“Chansung. Look at what you are doing. You have to marry someone you love, not marry someone just for the sake of it.”

“It's not that I don't love her. I did in my own way. But she's not the love of my life.”

“Then she probably realized it, Chan. Why did you take this decision?”

“I just want to settle down. Have a wife that takes care of me, kids, the whole deal.”

“And that's fine, Channie. But you should do this with someone you love. For your sake and for her sake. Let her find someone who truly loves her. And you do the same.”

“I know, hyung. I'm sorry for that.” It's been a while he had seen Chansung cry. It wasn't his intention to make the other sob, but his harsh tone did the trick. He didn't regret his words, but went there and hugged his friend anyway.

“I'm sorry. Don't cry.” He patted his back and made soothing movements like he was pacifying a toddler.

“What have I done, hyung? I tried marrying someone I don't love...” he tried to say, but he couldn't stop crying, the tears running quickly on his face.

“What matters now is that you didn't do it. Now you have a chance to change your life. I've been watching you, Chan. You don't live your life with passion anymore. And I know what we should do about it.”

“What?” he asked between sobs, a surprised childlike expression on his face. He stopped crying and tried to wipe his tears with his blazer sleeve.

“We need to get 2PM together again. For my sake and yours. We need this, Chansung. We need to find a reason to live again.”

“Hyung, I-” he stopped what he was saying because his phone was ringing. He fished for his mobile on his pocket and answered.

“Jia,” he shouted. “Care to explain why did you abandon me in the altar?”

That would be a long day.

 

AN: so what do you think about Chan's ex-bride? Was it a surprise?

Once again I posted ahead of time, but because I have so many things in store and I'm really anxious for you guys to read it and tell me your thoughts. I have a really symbiotic relationship with readers and it's really important to me to get feeback, so talk to me. I don't bite. Gah, sorry to beg. Thanks for subscribing and making me happy :) 

 

GIF made by lovely Fateen, the most enthusiastic chan stan ever.

Once again poster made by Gabi.

Proof reading by nikki

UP NEXT: Minjun