Chapter 28

Back to you

Chapter 28


A few weeks later

 

 

Hell week. Only these two little words could describe it. A trial and a funeral. Seldom a normal human being faced so many hardships in one single week. One single week that changed his life forever. But there he was with this friends. His beloved friends who already been through so much.

 

The rain fell freely, washing away their pain, their tears. He looked at best mates carrying the raven colored coffin, suits drenched, their expression broken. It wasn't the first time he saw their heartbreak, but this... this was different. It was earth shattering, something you couldn't return from.

 

They placed the coffin in the ground, the staff of the cemetery readily arranging the details. Minjun stood by his brothers, but there was nothing to be said. But someone broke the painful silence.

 

“I don't think I can continue after this, hyung,” Wooyoung whispered while the priest talked about gratefulness of life. Minjun looked at his dongsaeng tenderly through his wet fringe. His strong dongsaeng Jang Wooyoung. The kid endured so much - hospitalization, strong rehearsals, pain. But he thought the only thing he couldn't endure was sadness. But Minjun knew better. Wooyoung had iron will. So this would be one more thing he would endure it with his head up high.

 

“I know it's cliche, but he would want us to continue anyway. He really wanted to see us back together.”

 

“I know,” Wooyoung said before breaking down again. He was immediately engulfed in a hug by Nichkhun, who tried control himself but failed. The foreigner openly cried on Wooyoung's shoulder, no longer able to hide the pain. Minjun understood the will to hold it in, the will to keep the tears at bay. Mostly because he was doing that himself.

 

Minjun placed his hands on their shoulders offering support. An encouragement he honestly didn't have in him, but that was his duty as a friend, as an older brother. “Namyoung was a great friend. A real mentor. But we need to keep going. With heavy hearts we move forward.”

 

The ceremony proceed with the priest and some family members speaking beautiful words about Namyoung's kind nature. The whole time he tried not to break down, to be tough. But it wasn't possible. A piece of him died and went to the coffin. They buried him and with each shovel of dirt he lost a piece of himself. However, he couldn't look away at the descending coffin. He remembered how they went through good and bad times together. How he guided them through everything with a whip and a smile. He let himself remember, to travel through the most painful and happy times.

 

“Let's go, Minjun. It's over already.”

 

“He was so young, Taecyeon. It makes me so mad that a car accident took our hyung from us.” He finally broke down in sobs. He didn't want to be strong anymore. He wanted to sit down on the floor and cry. To be a kid, to have no responsibilities. He couldn't bear the weight he was carrying lately. The world was too much.

 

“I know.” Taecyeon hugged him tight. Even though the heavy rain didn't allow them to see clearly, he could still see his swollen face. The kid has been crying since yesterday, but still offered his warm hug. “But you need to prepare for the trial,” he added between sobs, his long arms still around Minjun.

 

“I know. Let's go.”

 

No sound was heard on their ride back. The silence was only broken by occasional sobs that would be soon followed by soothing words. Chansung and Junho rode on the back, the smaller man's head on the maknae's chest. Nichkhun and Wooyoung also hugged each other. For a moment he envied what they had, suddenly craving a warm touch, steady companionship. For a brief moment, he wondered how would it feel to have a man holding him like that, but he shook the idea because it wasn't time to think about that.

 

“So we are picking you up tomorrow,” Taecyeon said after they dropped him on his home.

 

“You guys don't have to come. Seriously, this day was already heavy as it is.”

 

“We would never leave you alone,” Nichkhun, who was still inside the van, added with a small smile. It didn't reach his ears, but Minjun knew he meant it with his heart.

 

“Okay, okay. See you tomorrow then.” He opened the door to his house and was suddenly assaulted by his house's warmth. In seconds, he heard the tiny footsteps approaching him.

 

“Hi, my boy.” Minjun grabbed his son and hugged him tightly.

 

“Were you crying, daddy?” How did you explain the world to a kid? No one ever told him how to be a parent, but he learned lying wasn't the way to go.

 

“Just a little. A friend of daddy died.”

 

“Don't worry, daddy. He will go to heaven and grandpa will take care of him.” He grabbed his boy even more firmly, a single tear dropping out of his right eye. His baby was so kind and always knew the right words to settle his heart. But he was his heart. He was his soul. And he couldn't afford to lose him.







 

“So you are saying you plan to go on tour with your group?” the judge asked him.


 

“Yes, your honor. But we won't have a heavy schedule and I'm living with my mom. She is able to provide while I'm not home.”

 

“That's all, Mr. Kim Minjun.” He got out of the stand and looked at his support system. Chansung, Junho, Taecyeon, Nichkhun and Wooyoung all looked at him with a smile, a “you did well” expression on their face. His mom and brother also stood there, their faces bright and proud. He felt happy to look at all of them like that, but warm feeling he had on his stomach was soon replaced by anger when he looked at Yuri.

 

“Are you ready to speak, Mrs. Baek?”


 

“You honor, if I may interrupt. We a very last time testimony to attest Mr. Kim is the one who should get the guard.” The court they held the audience wasn't big and maybe because of that the lawyer's words caused a little bit of a stir. It surprised everyone, Minjun included. He wordlessly asked what was going on, but the lawyer gave him a sign to wait.

 

“This shouldn't be allowed, your honor,” Yuri's lawyer protested.

 

“Lawyer Park. This is a child hearing. We need to see who is the most appropriate parent to keep the child, so let's hear it. Who is it, Lawyer Hwa?” Said lawyer opened the door of the audience room and called someone. And just when he thought the world wouldn't surprise him any longer, Yuri's parents entered the room. Minjun's jaw dropped. His friends looked at him, wordlessly asking what was going on, but he didn't have a clue either.

 

“Mom? Dad? What is going on?” Yuri asked, her eyes big and scared. She looked ready to get up and drag them out, but was stopped by her lawyer.

 

“Silence,” the judge ordered. “Who are them, Lawyer Hwa?”

 

“These are Baek Yuri's parents, your honor.” Even the judge looked baffled at the response. Everyone in the small room whispered surprised words.

 

“Okay, carry on. Why are you here, Mr. And Mrs. Baek?” The judge asked after the duo was sat down on the stand.

 

“We are here to witness in favor of Mr. Kim,” Yuri's mom said looking down. Her eyes were red and swollen, a clear sign she have been crying.

 

“And why would you witness against your daughter?”

 

“We only want what's best for Soohyun. And the best for him is to stay in Korea. Here he can have our support, he has his daddy and his grandma. Besides, Mr. Kim is an amazing parent. We can't let this happen.” Minjun couldn't believe in this turn of events. His lawyer never informed him he would ask them to testify. He would only say he was taking care of something. He looked at Yuri and for a second her only expression was disbelief. But it faded to be replaced by pure anger. Mrs. Baek looked down and cried, not able to look at her daughter anymore.

 

“And you don't think your daughter would be able to provide in London?”

 

“We love our daughter, but this is the best for the kid.” Yuri's parents loved her very much indeed. But they knew her personality, her extravagant behavior and difficult personality. And they loved Soohyun. And this was their act of love. For Soohyun's sake, they hurt their daughter.

 

“That's all, then. Thanks for your testimony.” On their way out, Yuri's parents hang their heads in shame and tried to apologize, but Yuri didn't even look at them. It was painful to watch a family shattering like that, but couldn't help feeling grateful.

 

“Let's hear the child now.” The moment he wanted to avoid finally arrived. No kid should be exposed to such a heavy weight of choosing a parent. How can someone so small and with so little understanding of the world pick their destiny like that, in a drop of the hat? He felt his chest tighten, partly because of the feelings that he somehow failed his son, but also because deep down he was afraid of the answer. If Soohyun picked his mom, his world would shatter. Nothing else would make sense.

 

“Hello, young man,” the judge saluted the kid with a kind smile when he entered the room. Soohyun looked scared, but also determined. Minjun felt proud of his kid, cutely wearing a small suit and looking so brave. “I will ask you a simple question. If you don't feel good, you don't have to answer, alright?”

 

“Yes,” he replied in a tiny voice.

 

“Are you aware that your mom is getting married again and moving to London?”

 

“Yes, ahjussi,” he shyly replied. Everyone laughed discreetly at the word he used, but the judge didn't seem to mind.

 

“And what do you have to say about it?”

 

“I-I...” he tried to say, but kept looking at both of his parents. Yuri looked tense and angry, but Minjun tried to give him confidence. Go ahead, he whispered. “I love my mommy.” Looking sideways, he noticed Yuri sagging in relief. But Minjun knew it wasn't time to celebrate yet.

 

“Yes?”

 

“I love mommy, but I want to keep living with daddy.” Immediately, a loud cheer erupted in the room. His friends, especially Taecyeon, acted like South Korea soccer team just scored a goal, getting up from their seats and clapping like seals.

 

“SILENCE,” the judge chastised with a mean look. They gingerly sat down and for a second they pretended to look guilty, but Minjun could see their hidden smiles. “So are you saying you want to live with your dad?” he added, but this time with a soft tone.

 

“Yes, ahjussi.” He should be happy, but why did it felt so bad to see his son with the head down and suffering like that? Minjun would move the earth to make his son happy and right at the moment all he wanted to do was hug him and protect him from the world, but he couldn't yet. They still had to hear from the judge.


 

“You can go, young man,” the judge said, his words kind and low. When Soohyun was out of the room, he started again. “Given everything we heard, we confirm Kim Minjun's guard. The child's opinion matters a lot, but having a strong support system like Mr. Kim has is also very important. So don't travel for too long, Mr. Kim. Take good care of your soon. That is all. Court adjourned.”

 

Immediately, Minjun opened the door and ran to his son, hugging him tightly. “It's alright, you did good,” he soothed when he heard soft weeping. He was crying himself, but for a different reason. His baby would be would him.

“How could you do this to me, Soohyun?” Yuri said when she reached the corridor. She looked furious and mean. Upon hearing her words, Soohyun's crying increased, so Minjun hugged him tighter.

 

“Talk to him when you calmed down, Yuri.”

 

“I will talk to him whenever I want. This is not over.” She stormed down the hallway, not once looking back at the crying child. Like Minjun suspected, getting the guard wasn't about the kid. It was about winning, about beating Minjun. Even her own parents saw through her.

 

“I love you, baby. And I swear everything will be alright.”

 

“I love you too, daddy.” His friends cheered and clapped while he still hugged his son. Suddenly, the world was right again. No more hell week for him.

 

AN: sorry, Namyoung ;___;

Thanks for the comments and sorry for not replying them. But I will be a good girl and reply everything tomorrow. Love you guys.


 

NEXT: Wooyoung and a little bit of everyone else and the grand finale. Will show a glimpse of the things that went down after he fainted. I think it will be the final chapter so give me time to write something special, ok. Don’t want to deliver something that’s not special.


Love you guys :D