Chapter 29 - THE END

Back to you

AN: It’s the end. Hope you guys enjoy it. And remember, I know nothing about medicine. I just got all the info with the help of my friend Google. And I wrote from all their point of views, so don't be confused when it changes it ;) Enjoy! 

 

 

 

Chapter 29



 

“Where is everyone, hyung?” Wooyoung was backstage and had the smart idea of checking the venue of their concert. Bad, bad idea. It was hours until the concert and the hall was still empty.

 

“Come here.” Nichkhun grabbed him and gave a quick peck, but Wooyoung grabbed his head to make it last a little longer. “They will come, please calm down,” he added in a whisper, heads close, their hands never leaving each other. Wooyoung felt the hot air hit his face, making it warm. But it wasn't Nichkhun's breathing that caused his temperature to hit the sky. It was all him, his body, his calm demeanor, his support. Love made him like that. Love saved him from the precipice.

 

“I'm about to breakdown, hyung. It feels like when we took the stage for the first time. Or when I hit the stage alone for the first time. I feel like running away.”

 

“That's normal, just remember how far you've come to run away now,” he said while he Wooyoung's hair softly.

 

“It hurts even to remember.”



 

2 months ago


 

Remember A.D.T.O.Y? Ahhh, one of my favorites.” Wooyoung was having a blast. The rehearsal was a trip to memory lane. They were trying to remember the choreographies, but with the dance steps came all the recollections of the good and bad times they went through together.

 

However, heavy naused punched him in the stomach, making his hands going to his stomach on instinct. But he couldn't reach it. Through a hazy state, he realized his limbs didn't work anymore. He felt his body on the floor, vertigo taking him down. His head hit the floor, but he didn't feel it.

 

Fainting was a weird state. It was almost like you were there, but weren't. You hear the noises. You hear Chansung crying, you feel Taecyeon desperately shaking you, you hear Junho and Minjun desperate cries. But you don't hear Nichkhun. He desperately need to move, to search for him, but his body didn't obey.

 

NICHKHUN, he wanted to shout. But his mouth was dead and the words he wanted to say were trapped inside his head. So he fought this numbness, desperately trying to talk. But he couldn't anymore, it was too tiresome. So he finally surrounded. On his last breath, he wondered: Would death take him tonight?





 

Beep. Beep.

 

A hospital. He was in another damned hospital. Wooyoung didn't need to open his eyes to see the white cold place. To see the face of the loved ones when he woke up from another episode. But he needed to. Wooyoung needed to face reality.

 

He finally opened his eyes, but there wasn't anyone there. That was unexpected. He usually found his sister hovering over him, babying him to death. His mother would cry and ask the doctor a million questions. But there was no one.

 

He got out of bed hoping to feel something, but he only felt a little ache on bones. Probably from laying on there for so long. The nausea was gone and his limbs worked fine. He put on his slippers and left the room.

 

On the corridor, he found everyone. Or almost everyone. “Wooyoungie.” Chansung was the first to reach him and hugged him tightly.

 

Chansung, come here. Don't hug him so tight,” Junho scolded the maknae, but also came to Wooyoung's embrace, and so did Minjun and Taecyeon. But their touch was different from Chansung's, like he was a delicate creature about to break.

 

That's okay. I feel fine.”

 

What happened, Wooyoung? No, wait. You need to lay down first,” Taecyeon urged him, looking ready to drag him on his lap to the room.

 

Where is my sister? Nichkhun?”

 

They will be soon here. Let's go.” Minjun put his hand on Wooyoung's back and pushed him – very lightly - to the room. He laid down again while all of them watched him with inquisitive eyes.

 

Guys, I'm alright,” he warned them.

 

What is going on, Wooyoung?” This time Junho was the one to ask. “No one told us anything. Nichkhun kept repeating we should talk about this with you,” he added with uncertainty, his eyes a mix of sadness and doubt.

 

I'm sorry, guys.” The tears were starting to form, but he resisted the urge to break down in front of them.

 

Don't apologize, Wooyoung. We just wanted to know about you. Maybe help you?” Chansung suggested, his hand on Wooyoung's shoulder for support.

 

Let's just wait for Nickhun and I will explain everything.” While they waited, his friends tried to lighten the mood, but Wooyoung felt the tension behind their actions. Finally, Nichkhun arrived with his sister in tow.

 

Hi, babe.” Nichkhun gave the youngest a peck on the lips, making him blush. He lingered there for a second, allowing Wooyoung to breathe in the amazing scent. It reminded himself of oranges and home. Not because it made him remember a place, but it brought up memories of safe place where everything was peaceful. Where he was whole.

 

You guys have to talk. I will be back later with the doctor. Don't take too long, okay?” Jung Hwa said, looking a little flushed. Probably because of their kiss. It was chaste and quick, but she never had time to adjust to this in any way. His sister finally kissed his cheek and left, leaving Wooyoung with something he dreaded for years. The truth.


 

So....” he tried to start. Nichkhun sat by his side and grabbed his hand, a silent demonstration of support. But he wouldn't go further than that. It was Wooyoung's solo project and he would have to tell them on his own. “I have multiple sclerosis,” he started. “Calm down,” he said softly when he saw their shocked expression. “It's a disease that attacks the central nervous system. It can be bad sometimes, but it can be also very mild.”

 

Wooyoung...” Chansung whined, his face sad.

 

Let him finish, love,” Junho cooed, while he his hair.

 

I've been sick for a few years now,” Wooyoung continued, a lump starting to form on his throat. He didn't want to cry, but it was almost impossible. “I didn't go to the military. I was actually discharged from it. They were the ones that found out something was wrong with me.” At each word that left his mouth, he felt worst. At each word their wounded face increased. There was sadness there, but maybe disappointment.

 

Are you going to die?” Minjun asked with wide eyes. Wooyoung could feel the fear ingrained in that sentence. The question hung in the air for a second and it was as if no one dared to breathe in that fleeting moment.

 

I have relapse remitting MS. It's the most common one and also one that isn't very severe. I have relapses, attacks, but usually I'm good. There is no cure, so I take alternative treatment and medication. And about death... if I take care of myself, I can live normally like everyone else.” At his response, everyone sagged in relief. But there was still tension in the air.

 

Won't group activities worsen your condition?” Junho asked. He asked himself this same question over and over again.. His doctor told him it was alright as long as he didn't stress much. But was that even possible in the music business? His only certainty was: he needed music as he needed breathing.

 

My doctor thinks it can be a good thing since I have to lead a healthy happy life. But...”

 

If I may, I would like to say something,” Nichkhun interrupted, giving Wooyoung a reassurance look. “I know about this for a while, maybe a few months. And I browsed the internet, I asked doctors, getting to the point of being obsessed with it. So I can talk about it.. Is this something that can damage someone's life? Yes. But there are a lot of people who live normally. And so far he's been good, only having a few episodes. And like he said there is no cure. But in my opinion, hope and happiness are one of the best medicines. And 2pm gives him hope.” From the way he looked at them, Wooyoung wasn't the only one hopeful.

 

But Wooyoung. Why did you hide from us?” Taecyeon promptly asked, but his voice lacked any heat. He looked defeated, the tears in the verge of falling. At this point, everyone had their eyes wet. From relief, betrayal or what other feeling, he didn't know.

 

I'm sorry.” At last, he was the first to cry. “It's not like I didn't trust you. I just wanted you guys to live your lives without worrying about me. I never wanted to be a burden to you, to make you worry. So I hid it. I'm so sorry.” His head was down in shame and he could barely see his hands because the tears fell freely, making his vision blurry. These guys were his brothers. Not by nature, but by blood, sweat and tears. They were all he had. Money, fame. All this can fade away in a blink, but not their bond. It was meant to last forever. And he betrayed them.

 

But suddenly, he felt a heavy weight on him. All of them, one by one, went to hug him. He felt suffocated, but couldn't help laughing. Through their embrace, he felt their acceptance, their forgiveness, their love. He couldn't ask for me.

 

Yah, don't scare us like that ever again,” someone said, the voice muffled and indistinguishable. At some point, Nichkhun also joined the group hug and now they were a mountain of emotional men. “And it's up to us, you will never get sick again. We will get through this together, okay?” Minjun giggled but crying at the same time.

 

Thank you” He let out a strangled laugh. “And I love you guys, but you are suffocating me now.”

 

Oh my God, sorry,” Taecyeon said, his eyes big. “We forgot you were...”

 

I won't break, Taec.”

 

Then I can do this,” he added evilly and hit his forehead with a flick. “That's for keeping a secret, you . You would never be a burden. We are a team. Understand? You feel bad? Tell us. You feel good? Tell us too,” he added with a cheesy laugh.

 

Hyung, I'm happy,” he confessed with a wide smile, making everyone laugh in return. And with big smiles, they talked for a while. They were still curious about the disease, his syptoms and what did he do all those years. He told them patiently, but when the doctor came they had to stop talking.

 

Jang Wooyoung. Gentlemen,” Dr. Kim, his personal physician, saluted and they all responded with a respectful bow. “We need to talk, Wooyoung,” he added.

 

If you don't mind, doctor. I would like to have them here. These are my groupmates. It's the first time they hear about my disease and I just explained the details, but I would like them to know the rest.”

 

Fine by me,” he answered with a kind smile. “Wooyoungie was on remission for a long time, but had a little flare up. Some nausea and vertigo. Nothing much, just manifestations of the disease. We just gave him some dose of corticosteroids and now he just needs some rest. Hopefully he will be good to go in a few days.”

 

So he's fine?” Chansung asked. His face had that worry mask once again, but Wooyoung guessed hearing from a doctor was another story. It made even more real.

 

Yes. He seems fine. We hope with the medication he can go back to normal activities.”

 

Won't being in a group make his situation worsen?” Chansung continued with his questions. Wooyoung didn't interrupt because it was a good opportunity to make them understand.

 

I don't think so. Just don't go overboard. Make him take his rests, don't travel so much because it's stressing. We never had any research on this, but I think dancing and singing are going to make him a really happy young man. And this one tends to be a whiner, so I think it will be great. Just take care of him,” the doctor added. “Now if you excuse me, I have other patients to attend,” Dr. Kim explained and left. Suddenly, Nichkhun hugged him again. Somehow, this embrace seemed different. It was the first one he finally felt free, no more lies and secrets making his heart feel like lead. It was light and ready. Ready to be carefree and fully happy.

 

So how are we going to handle 2pm?” Everyone sobered up at Junho's question.

 

I'm sorry, guys. But I don't think I can handle a hectic schedule like the old days. Partly because my disease, but partly because I feel so damned old to handle all of that,” he said with a small laugh. He felt regretful because he didn't want to hold them down, but there were never people to hide their thoughts from each other when it came to group matters.They were honest. Sometimes even brutally so.

 

That's alright, Wooyoungie,” Chansung consoled. “We actually agree. I talked to Junho the other day and we miss the stage, we miss our fans. But we want to travel too and do other stuff.” He hugged Junho from behind, kissing his right ear, making the smaller man blush intensily. Junho only nodded, his face still red as a tomato.

 

Yeah, and I have Soohyun to take care of. But even like that, promoting less, I think we can some damage. We just have to be smart about our time and only do stuff that really matters. Meaningful promotions, concerts and fan meetings. I think we established our name and now it's time to do it our way. Agree?”

 

In unison, they all said yes. And Wooyoung never felt so happy in his life.




 

“Hello, earth to Wooyoung,” Nichkhun joked. His boyfriend looked lost in thought, probably thinking on the hardships they faced. And he desperately need to get him out of that dark place.

 

“Sorry, hyung. Just thinking about what you said. Me, well, all of us came a long way. No time to cower now, right?”

 

“Yes, that's my boy. Now come here.”

 

“Not here, hyung,” he giggled, the picture of innocence, but dragged him to the nearest room with a smirk because he wasn't that innocent.






 

“Damn, I'm getting really nervous,” Chansung stated. They were on in the dressing room, Chansung's head on Junho's lap on a cozy sofa. They had the place all to themselves because the guys were always afraid to spot some public display of affection. At times, the maknae would kiss the smaller man just to provoke them. But that wasn't a good idea because teasing would always lead to... teasing. To hands on the backside, misty eyes and ual desire. So yeah, they had a room to themselves.

 

“I know how can you relax.”

 

“Nuneo's mind always in the gutter,” he provoked, immediately looking at his cute flaming ears.

 

“Yah,” he warned giving Chansung a smack on the forehead playfully. “I meant this.” He closed the space between them and gave the maknae the sweetest kiss, just a hint of tongue and lots of love.

 

When the kiss was over, he brought his lips to bite that red ear, giving Junho a warm smile when it was done. “Just kidding, babe. But it wouldn't be a bad idea after the concert.” This time he didn't say to get a reaction, but the other man reacted that way anyway.

 

“Alright,” he said quietly, already lost in wonder.

 

“Junho, how was getting on the stage alone?” His boyfriend didn't reply at first. He stared ahead, probably picking his words.


 

“It was like I had two parts of me. One part was so happy with myself for making my dreams come true. But the other one...” he trailed. “The other part cried every time because I didn't have you with me.”




 

It was hell, war inside himself everyday. That part that wanted success always resenting the fact his missed his friends. And missed Chansung.

 

The maknae got out of his lap, his hands going immediately to his face. “I'm sorry to hear. Even though I was watching from afar, I always wanted you to succeed. To be happy. And I thought you were. But we are together now, so it's all in the past.”

 

“Thank you, my love.” He mimicked Chansung's action, his hands that beautiful face. His eyes looked kind as always, so he drank on that sight. But eventually, his eyes wandered to those amazing lips. Oh, the things it did to him.

 

“Mind in the gutter after all, right?” Chansung said with a smirk. Junho straddled his lips, hands going to the back of his neck.

 

“Shut up.” Maybe if they didn't talk, they would have time. He smiled and kissed his boyfriend, his hips swaying, making Chansung moan. And that sweet sound made him forget it all. They could be a little late, right?




 

“Okay, so you go with grandma and watch the concert from the stands. It's a really good seat.”

 

“But I wanted to watch it here.” His kid pouted. They were having this discussion for hours now. But Soohyun was stubborn, just like his father.

 

“Here daddy won't be able to give you attention. Plus we will have really cool stages and you can only see from back there.”

 

“Okay then.” His mother smiled, extending her hand to take the pouting kid.

 

“See you later, mom.”

 

“Good luck, my son.” She kissed on the cheeks. “Wish your daddy good luck, Soohyun.” The kid still had that angry face, but he immediately brightened up and showed his missing tooth. That's the great things about kids. They don't hold a grudge, their hearts always light and forgiving. He wished good luck to Minjun and off they went to their seats.

 

With them gone, he was able to focus on his pre-concert rituals, but suddenly Taecyeon came storming through the door. “Where is everyone, Minjun? People didn't arrive yet.” He looked distraught and would possibly tear his hair out if it wasn't for the fact he was ready for the concert. Hair and makeup all done and he wouldn't be crazy to ruin it.

 

“I'm sure they will be here soon, Taecyeon.” He went back to warming his voice, but Taecyeon had other ideas because he grabbed his arm to take him somewhere. “What is going on?” He was baffled Taecyeon dragged him like that, but decided to go along with it.


 

“See? Weren't they supposed to be here already?” He asked when they reached a backstage area they could see the crowd. Minjun looked at his watch and thought that maybe his groupmate had a point, but his train of thought was interrupted when his phone rang. It was a text message from Nichkhun. Come to the dressing room.





 

They did as requested, wondering what the hell happened. When they arrived in the room, everyone was there. 2PM members, friends from other JYP groups, assistants, managers. Even JYP. “What happened?” Since earlier, Taecyeon have been feeling a weird atmosphere. And their fans not arriving only made him more nervous.

 

“Look.” Nichkhun gave Taecyeon his phone. With furrowed brows, he took it and look at a picture of woman in a middle of a street walk? “What is this?” he asked when he couldn't understand it clearly.

 

“Check your twitter, hyung. I'm sure people are sending you stuff right now,” Chansung stated. Taecyeon grabbed the item on his pocket, getting even more puzzled. On twitter, he had thousands of mentions. He clicked on the first link he saw. It was a girl holding a sign that read “We never let you.” She was smiling and there were a lot of people walking behind her.

 

“Found it,” Sohee shouted with enthusiasm. She had a cable in hand and plugged one end at her phone and the other on the television. “Everyone, let's watch,” she added excitedly.

 

Taecyeon watched with apprehension, still confused by everything. Sohee finally started the video. At first, he could only see a huge crowd. Finally, one of them spoke.

 

“We never left you,” she began. “Since the start, our hearts have been always with 2pm. When you hurt, we hurt. When you laughed, we laughed. So when you split, our hearts broke. But we always kept the hope. We kept believing because a love so big couldn't go away like that. The love you have for each other, but also the love we had for this family. The hottest family. Because of you we met amazing people, because of you we were happy. And we will forever grateful.” Finally they started singing Thank you. A song that was once written for their amazing fans. And now they were singing it back at them, their sweet voices taking other the room. At this point, Taecyeon started sobbing. And when he looked around, everyone had the same reaction. Not only 2pm, members, but the managers, assistants. Even JYP bawled his eyes out.

 

“There is more,” Sohee announced. She pressed play on another video. On this one, you could see the streets of Seoul. He recognized the place because it was next to the venue of the show. Hottests marched towards the place holding signs, stopping the traffic. There was a lot written, but a lot of them had a single phrase. We never let you. Never will. 2PM always.

 

“So they are not here because they are coming together?” He asked, the tears falling freely on his face.

 

“Apparently they did a big fan event,” Chansung explained, his voice shaking due to emotion “All time we were thinking we were apart from family. But they are a family as well, hyung. And they missed it.” Junho hugged the maknae, the two of them giving each other support.

 

The video kept playing while they hugged each other, ecstatic about such a big demonstration of love. But that was interrupted when an assistant came running into the room. “They started to arrive,” he warned. Everyone ran towards the front of the stage, eager to watch. Little by little, the fans started to arrive. A few of them held those signs, others held old lightsticks. But all of them had one thing in common.

 

They smiled. And for that, he smiled.

 

He grabbed the person closest to him – and itt happened to be Minjun – and gave him a big smooch on the lips. The type of thing that only happened when you high on adrenaline and happiness. The thing of thing that would make him bang his head on the wall later on, but he didn't care. Minjun looked wide eyed, but didn't say anything. And no one paid they no mind. They all looked busy. Chansung back hugged Junho while they watched the growing crowd. Wooyoung had his arms around Nichkhun while whispering words to each other. The assistants were back to work, after all they had a concert to make. And everything was back into the place they belonged.

 

Eventually, they went back to the dressing room. Time to get ready. They were officially back. Taecyeon laughed when he saw Minjun was still confused, but no time to wonder about that.

 

“Let's go,” he said to his groupmates an hour later. They waited until everyone was inside, their hottest walk delaying the concert a little bit. But they waited. What was an hour more after years of waiting?

 

They went to a place under the stage, waiting for the time they would be launched on stage with a bang. All the members got to assigned places. They stood there side by side, their feelings clear on their faces. Fear, excitement, love. But with a nod, they all showed they were ready. “Good luck, grandpa,” he whispered to Minjun, who stood by his side.

 

“Good luck, you idiot,” he said with a smile. "For Namyoung. Don't stop, can't stop. Let's go," Chansung chanted.


 

“It's time, guys. Get ready. In 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.” And in the air they went, being immediately cheered on by a packed arena. When their foot reached the floor, together they sang their newest song 'We are back'. And back they were. With tears, smiles and gratitude, they came back to their hottests. And the fans screamed like it would be the last time they heard and saw them. But they had nothing to fear, 2PM wouldn't go anywhere anymore. 2PM forever.



 

                                                                  T H E    E N D


 

 

AN: THANK YOU, THANK YOU for reading this story. For those who commented, for those who patiently waited and for those who never did but somehow stick with me until the end. Than you.

 

It means alot to me that this story progressed this far. And it happened thanks to you all and your encouragement. I'm not gonna lie. It's hard to write such a long fic (at least to me), but I wanted to go to the ending.

 

As a writer, sometimes the stories are more vivid in our minds. And I’m sorry if I came up short in a few things/chapters, but know that I worked hard and will always work harder to be a better writer. I don't want to be one of those writers that disappoint people in the end, but I hope you guys like this. I know it’s hard to please everyone, but I hope it made you smile even a little bit.

 

And did you see I threw a little Okkay bone? That couple was never in my plans, but I wanted to give something to my lovely readers in the end :)

 

Just for the record, you just read 118 pages of fanfic. I write my chapters on word and that’s exactly the page count. Crazy, right? Almost a book.

 

Anyway, I go now with a feeling of mission accomplished. See you around. Love you ;)

 

And don’t forget to check my next CNN story Poised.