Chapter 16

Back to you

AN: Hi, guys. Sorry for taking so long once again. Sometimes it takes me some time to sit down and write. And this week was a little stressing/overwhelming. I got a reaaaaaaally nice thing happening to me, but I also got sick.

Anyway, here is the chapter. Somehow is a bit of a filler, but I like the warm feeling we get from Taec/Minjun/Soohyun relationship. And I set two things in motion for future storylines. Can you guys guess what is is?




Chapter 16

A few years ago

Taecyeon, we heard your demo and we can say we are excited to offer a lot of great things to you. We showed your material to a lot of great producers and they are just as excited as we are.”

Thank you so much. I'm glad to hear.”

Of course we are not a big record label as your previous one. But I think we make it up to it with excitement, independence. All the things you said you wanted.”

The nice man went on and on about opportunities, famous hip hop producers interested in working with him. Everything he ever wanted, but why did it feel hollow?




“Taecyeon, let's go,” Chansung asked, his face a little weary. Probably tired from all that went down that night. He looked ready to bolt and sleep for 5 days straight.

“I think I will stay for a while, play with Soohyun for a little bit. You go ahead and I'll meet you at home.”

“But I came with you.”

“You can get a ride with Junho. Right, Junho?” Taecyeon asked, a teasing smile on his face. The question got both of them startled. The duo stared at each other awkwardly, their bodies fidgeting.

“Errr-” Chansung tried to say.

“If that's alright with Chansung, he can go with me,” he shrugged. He tried to feign indifference, but Taecyeon saw how his hands shook and how he nervously looked at the maknae.

A positive and small answer come a few moments later, so the pair proceeded to the car silently after saying goodbye. Awkwaaaard. But they needed the time for themselves with no pressure from the other 2pm members. So he purposely let them go back together.

He went back to the warm house and got immediately engulfed by tiny arms. Soon after, a delicious scent invaded his senses. Spices, onions, meat. Surprisingly, it seemed that Minjun now cooked. He grabbed the little one and went to the kitchen to see with his own eyes where the smell came from.

“So you cook now?”

“When you have to feed your kid you have to learn.”

“Daddy didn't know how to cook,” Soohyun added with a soft giggle.

“Really?” Taecyeon's humored him and tickled his tummy.

“Yes,” he tried to say amidst loud giggles. “Now he cooks better than mommy,” he added when he sobered. He gave Taecyeon a huge toothless grin and warmed his heart.

“I had to learn, I didn't have any choice. This little guy there loves to eat. I need to serve him only the best.”

Taecyeon tried to grab a piece of meat in the frying pan, but got hit by a spoon. “Yah, don't touch the food,” he said trying to make a menacing face, but smiled widely a few seconds later when he heard Soohyun laughter.

“Yah, uncle Taecyeonie. You can't touch the food before it's ready,” he said, giggling.

“My bad, I'm a bad boy.”

“Okay, it's almost ready. Can you two set the table for me while I get everything done?”

Taecyeon went to the other room with the boy still on his arms, only releasing him when they were setting the table. A few moments later Minjun arrived with some utensils. He went back to the kitchen once again, this time coming back with two pans.

“If you want to be big like uncle Taecyeon you need to eat well, Soohyun,” Minjun added to an eager Soohyun. The boy, who was already eating with his mouth full, managed to eat even more. They laughed at him. His tiny eyes were focused on the meal, so they took the moment to catch up.

“So, you never told me about your stay in US.”

“Nothing to tell. Didn't work, that's all.”

“That's not what I heard. I heard through a fellow American producer a lot of great producers wanted to work on your album.”

Taecyeon never told anyone that. He let people believe it didn't work. It was better this way, no explanations on his reasons. So he was surprised when Minjun brought it up.

“Yes. I got some offers, but it didn't feel right. I was fixed on that idea for so long, thought it was my dream. But when I there living it I realized a couple of things,” he confessed. He looked down at his hands playing with the food, not being able to look his friend on the eyes.

“You were living your dream and didn't know, right?” Startled, Taecyeon raised his eyes quickly. How did he know?

“How?”

“Well, you can say I have the same feeling. Sometimes you want something you forget to cherish what you have. You are looking ahead when your life is happening in front of eyes.” It was scary how Minjun's feelings mirrored his own.

“Yes. I wanted to go to America, live there for a while. But I don't know, I feel like my life is here. My life is with you guys.” Unexpectedly, Minjun grabbed his hand and squeezed in a show of support. They smiled at each other, a silent sign of understanding.

“Errr. I-” Minjun tried to say, but Taecyeon's phone started ringing. He looked at the device, set on ignoring the call, but seeing who was it he decided to answer.

 

“Just a second. It might be important.”

He went to the yard, as far from the living room as possible. The place was a manicured and wide space in the back of the house. It had a wood bench, so he sat down and pressed the button.

“Hello?” came a woman's voice.

“Hi. Did something happen?”

“I'm alright. I just want to know when we are going to meet.”

“Soon. Sooner than I expected. Things are falling into place quickly.”

“Oh, I'm glad to hear. Then call me, okay?”

“Alright.”

“I'm..” she trailed. “I'm looking forward meeting you,” she added with a soft voice.

“Hum, me too. I will call you so be ready to travel at short notice. Bye.”

He went back inside hurriedly. Father and son were focused on their food, but smiled at him when he arrived.

“Is everything alright?” The oldest asked when he sat down again.

“Yes. It was a friend, nothing important,” he lied. But it wasn't time for this secret to be out. Minjun looked at him in a funny way, so he desperately tried to change subjects.

“So where is Soohyun's mom?” If he wanted to go back to safe topics, he failed miserably. The question caused Minjun's forehead to frown and his eyes to go sad. Uh oh, problems. Taecyeon knew their situation, but he didn't think it was that bad after all this time. 

“She's in her home,” he said, but looked at Taecyeon menacingly, daring him not to say anything in front of Minjun.

“Ah, alright,” he said, a little embarrassed at the faux pas. After a few tense moments, they focused once again on their food and the warm atmosphere came back. They laughed, joked and ate until their bellies were full. When they were cleaning everything, the bell suddenly rang.

“Let me get that,” Minjun dropped the things he was holding and went to answer the door.

After a few moments of silence, Minjun came back with Yuri in tow. His friend looked crestfallen, his face a little gray. In contrast, the woman looked beautiful and wore a satisfied grin on her perfect lips. 

“Mommy,” the kid ran towards his mom and hugged her legs.

“Taecyeon, I need to talk to Yuri. Can you stay with Soohyun for a moment?”

“Sure.” This didn't look good. Taecyeon thought Yuri was done hurting his friend, but from the look on his face and her triumphant smile, she was far from stopping. He just hoped Minjun didn't suffer like last time. Taecyeon didn't believe his friend could survive one more of her betrayals.

 

Taecyeon grabbed the boy and went upstairs. He was so worried he did something he never did: he prayed. May this woman never hurt his friend again.

 

AN: Forgot to mention. OMG, more than 90 subscribers. Thank you so much. Love you.

 

UP NEXT: Nichkhun  I made a mistake. It's Minjun!