Chapter 12

Back to you



A few years ago


Taecyeon. Long time no see.”

Hi, hyung. Good to see you and everyone else after 2 years. I didn't even see my mom and came here.”

We missed you too, boy. But Taecyeon-sshi, let's get straight to the point, shall we? We called you here so we can discuss your new contract.”

But the boys won't come back until next year. And Chansung went just a few months ago. So what's the point?”

Well, we are negotiating separately.”

But we are a band, we only negotiate in group.”

We need to discuss the terms separately now. New policy.”

Well, about that. It's good that I'm here because I wanted to tell you something. I want ask for some time for myself. While they don't come back I wanted to go to America. Maybe release something there? Maybe study, travel, I don't know. All I know is I want to explore.”

What? You can't do that.”

Why?”

Listen, Taecyeon. If you opt out now, there is no coming back. You are out of JYPE. We can't let artists do as they please. You have to understand that. We have awesome plans for you. Dramas, solo career, hosting jobs. Amazing possibilites.”

I'm not saying I want to be out of JYPE or 2PM. I just want some time for myself. Chansung, Wooyoung and Junho won't be here anyway. So I just want to have this. Only this little time, please.”

About that... Chansung and Wooyoung might not come back. Ever.”

What?”

They are out. Personal reasons. We are having 2pm without them.”

Then there is no point talking anyway. Talk to my lawyer. I'm out.”


He looked himself at the mirror and sighed, remembering the disastrous conversation for the thousandth time. Taecyeon's gaze went to his sharp eyes. They were focused and alert. Ready. He closed the faucet, drying his hands looking at himself one more time.

That talk finished badly, but he carried it in his heart. Not because he was found of those memories, but because he kept his mistakes in box inside himself. Taecyeon regretted storming off like that, clearly one of the few cases he let his feeling get the best of him. He couldn't have a band without Chansung and Wooyoung, however his negotiating skills were poor. And that's why he kept his bad memories alive inside himself. They would help him not to make new mistakes. Too much was at stake now and he couldn't be wrong again. Everyone was so emotionally involved, it was important for him to be the one with his head on the right place.

“You look good, okcat. You can nail this,” he said to his smirking reflection and took a deep breath. He left the restroom to find Chansung sprawled lazily at his bed. He was holding a book and seemed to be hypnotized by it.

“Yah, are you not getting ready?”

“Yeah, about that, hyung,” he said, dropping the book and getting up. “I don't think I'm ready for this.” The youngest had a scowl on his face, his eyebrows pinched in worry.

“About what?” he asked with a nervous laugh. “We are just meeting Minjun and his son. Right?” Chansung squinted his eyes briefly, making Taecyeon squirm a little. But instantly his expression gone soft.

“Hyung, it's just... I feel a little angry today. I don't think it's the right time to leave your house. I just need some time alone when my feels are not in the right place.”

“Chansung, you didn't even leave home since your wedding.” His friend's expression hardened instantly, making Taecyeon regret his words. “Sorry. I mean... I love helping you and having you in my home. But you need to shake this depression. Let's do this, alright? Go shave and then we leave.”

“I guess you are right,” he added defeatedly. “But I'm not shaving.” He smiled coyly, his chin. “I think I will rock this look from now on. It's not like we have concerts to make, right?” He looked at Taecyeon inquisitively, a tiny smirk on his lips.

“No, of course not.” Again a nervous laugh. “I will wait for you downstairs. Hurry up.” Taecyeon descended the stairs quickly, giggling because he was such a lousy liar. But at least he convinced the maknae.

Half an hour later they were on the car on their way to Minjun's house. Like he promised, Chansung still wore his faint stubble.

“I know what you are doing. Or at least I think I know what you are doing,” Chansung said after long moments of silence.

Taecyeon's eyes were still on the road, but he didn't need to look at Chansung to know his expression. Living like a family for so many years caused them to know each other's every sign, humor change. He knew every sadness that took over them, joy or pain. And that's why he needed everything back. Thinking on how they were now caused his stomach to drop immediately. So even if he lied, he needed to do that. For them and for himself.

“So be a good boy and help your hyung, okay?”

“I will try, hyung. But you know how it is. You know how he treated me after everything that happened. You weren't here, but you know how it was.”

“I do. But let's try again, okay. Please make an effort.”

“I will go, but I'm not sure I want to go there again, hyung. I'm good now. I'm taking care of my gym, going to college. I'm not sure I want to go back to that madness again.”

“Can you honestly say you are happy with all of this? I swear if you are then I won't insist,” Taecyeon added in a deep voice.

“I, I...” Chansung stuttered. And that was a good enough answer to Taecyeon. If you have to think twice when someone asks you if you are happy, it must mean some corner of your life does not make you complete and satisfied. You can be the happiest person in the world, but if there is something nagging at you and making you second guess yourself, then it means there is room for improvement, there is room for more. And Chansung was always a driven kid, always a fighter. If he thought having 2PM was going to make him completely happy, he knew he would take a chance on them again.

“Okay. We are here. Just hear us out and don't make anything rash.”

“When did I ever?”

“You are right, you are a good maknae. So don't start to be a bad one now, okay?” he said with a laugh and ruffled his hair a little. Together they rang Minjun's bell and waited. Chansung looked relaxed, maybe a little wild with his new stubble. But calm nonetheless.

“Come in,” Minjun said through the speaker.

They entered the house and were suddenly hit by the warmth and the homely smells indicating someone was cooking. It reminded him of his house when he was a kid, bringing a smile to his lips and a warm feeling to his stomach. Suddenly he felt something and looked down to see small Soohyun hugging his legs.

“Uncle Taecyeon,” the little kid said with his huge toothy grin. Taecyeon grabbed the boy and spun him through the room, earning earthy giggles in return. His own smile grew tenfold, but how could you resist a kid like that?

“Yah, Taecyeon,” Minjun shouted. “Take off your shoes. Look what you are doing to the floor.” Soohyun laughed even harder when he heard the scolding.

“Channie.” Minjun's expression softened when he saw the maknae standing awkwardly by the door. The youngest fidgeted a little, not knowing where to put his hands or what to say.

“Hi, hyung,” he responded shyly, bowing next.

“Aish, don't be like that and come to hug you hyung-nim.” Chansung approached and hugged the eldest. “I guess you are a little upset at me for missing your wedding, right?”

“No, hyung. Don't worry.”

Surprisingly, Minjun kneed to the floor and bowed deeply, his face planted on the floor, saying “I'm deeply sorry I was late on the most important day of your life. Hyung is so sorry he could cry.”

“Aish, hyung. Get up,” Chansung begged, grabbing Minjun's arm. “I didn't even get married, right? No reason to be sorry.”

“More reason for me to be there. You are my maknae and I wanted to be there to comfort you. But I got late. But I will take care of you for now on,” he added, now up on two feet. He jumped to the maknae and smothered him with a hug, making Chansung giggle a little.

“What is going on, uncle Taecyeon?” Soohyun whispered cutely, still watching the scene in front of him. Taecyeon pinched his cheeks softly.

“Uncle Chansung and daddy are making up,” he whispered back still holding the kid in his arms. His mouth making a little o in understanding.

“What are you two whispering there?” Minjun asked in a loud, but happy voice. “Are you not going to say hello to uncle Chansung, son?”

Taecyeon released the little boy, who approached the maknae shyly. Chansung was a tower next to Soohyun, making the boy a little weary to approach.

“Hello, Soohyun,” Chansung said after crouching down. “My name is Hwang Chansung and I met you when you were a little baby. But I guess you don't remember.”

“Hi,” the kid said with a blush and bowing respectfully. “I'm sorry, I don't remember.”

“Nah, that's alright.”

Soohyun hid himself behind Taecyeon's waist and muttered, “Are you friends with my daddy?”

“Yes. We were in the same band.”

“Ah, you were in 2PM too?” he added, suddenly cheery, but still hidden behind Taecyeon.

“Yes. Me, Taecyeon and your dad,” Chansung added with a warm voice.

“Oh, that's so cool. You are handsome. Just like daddy.” The room burst in laughter. “But you would look better without the beard,” he added, once again growing timid.

“Hyung will shave later, okay?” he promised. Everyone was laughing animatedly when the bell rang again.

“Excuse me, let me get that,” Minjun explained and went to the door. After a while he came back and announced, “it's Khun and Wooyoung.”

Seconds later, the couple entered the house. He saw Nichkhun a few times after they split, but it was the first time he saw Wooyoung in years. He couldn't help being a little emotional. Said person had his hair on the shoulders, completely different from the perfect Wooyoung they all knew.

“Hyungs,” he said, tears in his eyes. “Chansungie,” he added looking tenderly at the maknae. What followed next was a mess of hugs and miss yous. Taecyeon grabbed Wooyoung and hugged him hard, maybe punishing his dongsaeng for not showing his face for years. In return, he got only a light understanding giggle and no words.

When it was for Wooyoung and Chansung to talk, the maknae turned his face, clearly sad and distressed. He had tears in his eyes, resent clear on his features.

“Chansungie. I'm sorry I missed your wedding. Something happened. Something important.”

“That's okay, Wooyoungie.” Chansung couldn't even fake indifference. It was clear the absence of Wooyoung to the ceremony hurt him deeply, but he would never say a hurtful word to his friend.

“I know you are sad with me,” he approached slowly. “I'm hurt with myself too. But I promise you I had a good reason. Please trust me when I said it was something important.”

“I believe you, Woo,” he said tearfully. Then they hugged each other strongly. No one said a word for a minute, afraid they would ruin the moment between the two. Eventually, they stopped embracing each other, but he noticed they linked their hands like they did so many times in the past. And he wasn't the only one to notice. Nichkhun looked at their intertwined with hooded eyes, but continued talking to Minjun.

The doorbell rang again. Taecyeon's eyes went straight to Chansung, who tensed instantly. “Guys, go to the living room, okay? I will open the door.”

The group silently followed to the living room, their shoulders heavy and tense. The moment he long awaited was close, but he felt suddenly afraid. Chansung sat down on the couch with a thud, being immediately sided by Khun and Woo, who put a reassuring hand on his leg. Wooyoung whispered something on his ear he couldn't hear. But he could guess it were some comforting words.

“Why everyone is so serious,” little Soohyun asked suddenly. He looked frantically at everyone in the room, his eyes a little restless. Taecyeon grabbed the boy and placed him on his lap.

“We are going to talk about serious stuff in a few minutes, that's why everyone is so tense,” he whispered. The kid hugged his neck and added, “I'm a little afraid, uncle Taecyeonie.”

“Everything is going to be fine.” In reality, he didn't feel so confident, after all they would ambush Junho under the pretense of Minjun showing him a song.

After a few tense moments, Minjun came to the room with Junho in tow. His hair was perfectly coifed, black as a raven and smooth like silk. He had his glasses on and a smile on his face. But that didn't last long because said smile fell once he saw everyone in the room.

“What is going on?” He saw Taecyeon, Soohyun and Wooyoung, until his eyes finally settled on Chansung. His mouth was opened in surprise, his eyeglasses still on his face. It's funny how you can read someone even when you don't see their eyes. Junho wore so much emotion on his face and mouth Taecyeon didn't need to see anything. It was clear Lee Junho was breaking. Right in front of them.

“I'm out of here. I don't appreciate being ambushed,” he added angrily and left.

Nothing was going to be simple, was it? Taecyeon hugged Soohyun hard and mentally practiced his reunion speech while Minjun grabbed Junho. Nothing was going to be easy, but that wouldn’t stop him from trying. Bring it on.

 

 

 

 

 

AN: A warm welcome to the new subscribers and a huge thank you to the old ones for sticking with me. And don't forget to comment.

 

PS: did you see what I did there? I ADDED CHANSTUBBLE, which made everyone go gaga this week. I couldn't let this iness pass. Look at it:

 

UP NEXT: Chansung and his stubble xD